Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

hey gang

AITA for refusing to buy my friend gold?

quote:

I (f/33) have a very good friend (f/39) who is Hindu and an Indian immigrant, and this year she invited me and my wife (33) to celebrate Diwali with her. My wife and I are white canadians and not religious. We’ve been friends with her for almost a decade, but in the last few years have become very close and now she is basically family. We happily accepted.

We brought over food and the stuff to make paper lanterns, and we had a lovely time. The problem came when near the end of the night, when my friend told me that it’s been so long since she had people to celebrate Diwali with, and she was getting excited for presents. I didn’t know Diwali included presents so I hadn’t brought her anything, besides the craft supplies and food, she said that was fine and we could get her something next year.

I asked her what sort of gift she would like, and she said gold was the traditional gift and, I quote “but make sure it’s above 10 karat or it’s basically tin, I’d just throw it away.”

I thought this was a joke at first so I laughed, which made her confused. I explained that I would never give anyone gold as a gift, I’ve never even gotten my wife gold, we couldn’t even afford wedding rings. When she still looked confused I tried to clarify, and asked how much is a gift of gold, traditionally (since I’ve never bought gold, I had no idea how much it would cost.)

She told me a minimum of 500 dollars.

At this point is the behaviour I think might make me an rear end in a top hat, because I was laughing in complete disbelief very openly. I told her that was completely insane, and I would happily spend every Diwali with her and get her a gift, but there was no way I was buying her 500 dollars worth of gold, ever, especially not if it was a yearly thing.

I know that in India, my friend was of a pretty high caste socially and her family is well off, and here in Canada she is an accountant who owns her own condo, and is looking to buy more property and become a landlord. My wife and I live frugally, we’re blue collar and both from working class families. An average amount I spend on a Christmas or birthday gifts for someone I’m close to would be about 20-50 bucks.

After I’d explained all this to her, I could tell she was disappointed and it had made her sad and confused. Part of me feels bad for laughing at her tradition, especially since she made the effort to include us and has no family here to celebrate with. But it honestly boggles me, and makes me a bit mad, honestly, which I know is unfair since it’s just differences in how we grew up, but I can’t help feeling annoyed and like she’s not seeing her privilege.

This has been compounded by the fact that for Christmas, which we also celebrated with her, she actually gave us gold, worth quite a lot, in the form of a special coin. We’re not the type to display fancy stuff, so it just sits in storage now. But I’m worried she may expect tit-for-tat, even though the only way we could possibly afford to give her gold back in exchange is if we sold what she gave us which we are definitely not supposed to do.

We still hang out constantly and we will continue to do so, she is a for-life friend for a lot of reasons, and I’d love to make her holidays and celebrations special, but this is just a sticking point for me, and I find myself feeling/acting like a prick every time it’s brought up.

So, AITA? Does anyone have suggestions for this situation?

I want to know what sort of commemorative coin it was. please post your guesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

The most interesting part of the fish story to me was the kid realizing that going straight to nuclear sentimental destruction without any second thoughts might be an unhealthy thing and is asking his uncle to set up therapy. Impressively insightful of the kid.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not that surprising, family bullies tend to get by in inertia and people wanting to keep the peace, but when the peace is already broken and poo poo's blowing up due to someone getting the final straw, a lot of people are likely to remember the poo poo they've had to deal with from that person and realise they don't have to put up with it for the sake of presuming everyone else liked them.

It's not just family stuff, it happens with friend group, gaming groups, coworkers, and so on. Someone gets away with throwing their weight around and everyone in the group is used to it and doesn't want to rock the boat, then when one person pushes back everyone says 'oh yeah, I don't have to keep coddling this jerk' or 'well, now it's not my fault if things start to blow up'.

Before I was aware of this social dynamic, I blew up a WOW guild by accident, back when WOW was a new thing. The GM was being a hardass about something dumb (probably something like forbidding me to be silly in general chat) and gave me a 'you will stop that or you're out of the guild'. Since it was just a guild I randomly joined, I figured it was no big deal to leave, so I just said "OK, good luck guys I'm outta here". According to a buddy of mine who was in the guild, something like half the guild ended up leaving in the next couple of hours while the GM tried to threaten people into staying, which just made the problem worse. (Threatening to kick people if they leave is not the best strategy in the world).

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
AITAH For telling my husband that his affair child is not welcome in our home and if he wants custody he will have to move out?

quote:

My husband and I have been married for 9 years. In 2021, we found out my husband was being sued for child support.

Turns out my husband had an affair shortly after we were married. It nearly ended our marriage, but we went to counseling together and I agreed to stay in the marriage with the following provisions:

My husband was to get a second job so that his child support payments did not affect our household budget and that at no point in time would I ever consider having a relationship with this child. If he wanted to pursue one with them, fine. But I have absolutely zero interest in this kid.

So my husband has been getting to know his kid over the past couple years and recently my husband came to me and informed me that there was some sort of baby mamma drama. Apparently, she has to self-surrender in May and is going to be incarcerated for 8 months.

My husband told me that he needed to take custody while his affair partner is locked up, otherwise the kid would have to go to their grandparents who basically live on the opposite coast from us. Their kid doesn't want to have to change schools or be so far away from their friends, dad and mom (she will be doing her time fairly local to us).

So, after my husband told me that, I got up and left the house. I went to the grocery store on the corner and grabbed a copy of our area's apartment guide went back home and handed it to him.

He asked if I were serious. I told him I still felt the same way as I did 3 years ago. He said he didn't think that was fair considering the extenuating circumstances.

I told him I don't care about the circumstances. His kid is not welcome in my home, if he wanted to take custody I will grant him an amicable divorce, but I am not changing my mind. I am not taking care of some other chick's kid.
They really should have gotten a divorce back when they found out about the kid. She is within her rights to not want to raise the kid, but he has responsibilities regarding this kid that need to be a higher priority than staying married. She shouldn't step up and raise the kid but he SHOULD, and thus they are gonna have to split.

Also one where I hate every single person involved except for maybe the parents but probably I do:
AITAH for blowing up on my wife when she made a joke about wanting me to buy her a Porsche?

quote:

I married my beautiful wife "Hannah" almost a year ago. Now i love her more than anything, but she was a bit of a bridezilla and everything at the wedding had to be perfect. I work in an industry where rear end kissing and nepotism runs rampant, so we invited people I work with to the wedding.

"Chris" the owner of the firm showed up with his wife who was wearing white (with flowers) and Hannah was fuming. She felt she did it on purpose as she had apparently been catty in the past and demanded I kick her out. I told her I could not kick my boss's wife out, but then I could see it was ruining her day and her MOH was threatening red wine which would have been worse.

I told them as gently as I could. His wife was like "but it has flowers" but they did leave. My mom told me I was a loving idiot and better not expect a loan from her when this blew up. Well long story short I didn't get the promotion I had a good chance of getting, Chris now treats me like a joke and wants nothing to do with me, and the rest of the firm is laughing behind my back.

I am looking for another job, but it is what it is for right now. Hannah desperately wants a bigger house so we can start our family. Also I saw her eyeing some jewelry my sister's boyfriend bought her and it just makes me feel like poo poo.

Well my mom turned 50 the other day and my stepdad showed up with a Porsche. In the car Hannah joked I should get her one for her upcoming birthday and I kind of lost my temper. i yelled that if she didn't make me kick my boss's wife out, maybe I could. Hannah burst into tears and when we got home locked herself in a room.

edgeman83 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 22, 2024

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

AITA for refusing to buy my friend gold?

looking to buy more property and become a landlord

Huge rear end in a top hat

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Moon Slayer posted:

Get ready to get mad.

AITA for not inviting my mentally unstable cousin to my wedding

So what exactly did this 12-year-old hellion do?

:thunk:

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

One Month Later ...

AITA for wanting security to accompany my mentally ill cousin at my wedding?

24 hours later ...

Two weeks later ...

How to get my (25F) cousin (25F) to attend my wedding to keep the peace?

Apparently the texts that OP posted show that, surprise surprise, the cousin goes by "they/them" pronouns and a new name and considers "Rose" to be a deadname. Wow, who could have possibly seen that coming?

Two days later ...

Update on my wedding

And the grand finale ...

Two months later ...

I was supposed to get married today, but my cousin sabotaged my wedding and my fiance called it off

Now, there's nothing that conclusively proves they had booked a former plantation, but ...

This story was aslow burn for me.

I am a clueless cishet bloke, so all of the transphobia went right over my head u till OPwas literally waving it in our faces.
Then to add it was a "plantation" wedding?

Im sure there were plenty of clues that pointed tohow much of an arsehole OPwas, but, as said, i am a dumbarse that missed them all.

So when it hit, it hit like a punch to the face.

gently caress op. I am glad her wedding was ruined.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not Giving my Friends a ride if they Didn't Fasten their Seatbelts?

quote:

Last night, I (18m) was getting off work at 11:30 PM. My 2 other friends (both 18m) were also leaving as well and asked me if they could get a ride. I said sure. They all live within 1 1/2 miles from our workplace (a 3 - 5 minute drive / a 15 - 20 minute walk), and they both live in separate houses at different ends of town. It's a pretty chilly night at about 40 degrees and only a few cars are out and about. We all packed into my light blue 2004 Buick LeSabre. I waited to hear all of their seatbelts click which never came. I asked if they could fasten their seatbelts and they looked at each other with confused glances. After a solid minute, one of them broke the silence and asked "Wait, you're serious?" and which I said "Yeah?".

They asked why and I said the obvious reasons: safety and I don't want no tickets if we happen to get pulled over. One chimed in correcting me saying "the driver doesn't get a ticket, the passenger does". I sat there for a second and said "If you don't fasten your seatbelts, I'm not taking you guys anywhere.". They both let out a bunch of scoffs and exited the car. I said "Suit yourself" and drove off. Leaving them in chilly weather, on a dark night. With a 20 minute walk home.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mx. posted:

They are 100% Nazis. Only Nazis have such strongly-held wrong principles. (See also: anti-vaccination, 5G hysteria, Second Amendment -lunatics)

e: OP is a huge rear end in a top hat for using the dumb-poo poo hell idiot wrong temperature scale, tho. Probably also a Nazi, judging by that.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Mx. posted:

Hahaha, gently caress those guys! OP did everything right here.

First of all, they're just wrong. it's the driver that gets the ticket. It's a loving moving violation. Ticketing the passengers just doesn't make sense. Like how would that even work?

Second of all, they're loving morons. That light blue 2004 Buick LeSabre does not have modern safety features (no disrespect. It just doesn't). Failure to anticipate the deadly and debilitating results of a crash is a simple failure of imagination.

Like you come up to a green light and make a left turn going 15 miles an hour. Some dude absolutely blast the gently caress through the red light on his end at 75mph and T-bones you. You're gonna look like ground chuck after that. And if you don't have a seatbelt on, your body will become a projectile. At that that point your flying rag doll is a danger to other drivers and pedestrians. At least with the seatbelt on you have a chance.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Yeah I would have kicked them out too. Tickets aside, if someone crashes into me or I gotta slam on the brakes because something moves in front of the car the last thing I need is unsecured idiots launching through the space inside the car.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

This story was aslow burn for me.

I am a clueless cishet bloke, so all of the transphobia went right over my head u till OPwas literally waving it in our faces.

Im sure there were plenty of clues that pointed tohow much of an arsehole OPwas, but, as said, i am a dumbarse that missed them all.

So when it hit, it hit like a punch to the face.

gently caress op. I am glad her wedding was ruined.

I mean other countries have different buildings that may or may not be built with racial, class or societal differences/exploited labour

I don't read anywhere that they're explicitly American

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 22, 2024

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
My mother-in-law was mortified when I asked the priest from the Theravada temple to put his seatbelt on.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Ticketing the passengers just doesn't make sense. Like how would that even work?

If the passenger gets too many tickets, they lose their passenger license and can only drive.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
AITA for screaming at my gf because of the college she chose?

quote:

I 17M have a gf 18f and we both got accepted to go to UCLA. She also applied to Yale and Harvard she got rejected from Harvard and accepted to go to Yale and her parents are really pushing her to accept it over UCLA.

She called me and I told her she did not have to go to the school her parents wanted and we could go to UCLA together yet she’s saying she wants to make her parents proud and she is leaning more towards choosing Yale now. After hearing that I got frustrated and told her if she chooses Yale our relationship is over with.

She sounded defeated and said she would think about it and that she didn’t want to choose between me or her parents so I told her to choose wisely and hung up. Yesterday she came to my house in person to tell me she chose Yale and I obviously got really upset about it. She wanted to give me a hug and end it on a good note but I just screamed for her to get out and made it known she betrayed me and that this was our goal since freshman year and now she wanted to change it.

She posted a picture of her crying on her snap story and posted she was going to Yale. Now everybody is texting me asking me what’s going on and if we were still together etc.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

edgeman83 posted:

L
O
L

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for not waiting for my wife at the next subway station after I got on the train, and the doors closed before she got on?

quote:

So basically, wife and I were in a rush to catch our subway train to go to a brunch with my parents at our favorite restaurant. We were already 10 minutes late, and my parents are always super punctual and I didn't want to keep them waiting any longer for us.

As we approach the escalator down to our subway platform, I can hear our train approaching. So, I tell my wife that we need to catch the train, and we both hurry down the escalator, me in front of her. When we got to the bottom, I heard the subway door chimes, indicating that the doors were about to close. So, I rushed into the train at the last moment, but my wife was left on the platform of the other side.

I thought, okay, well this sucks that I made the train but my wife didn't. But it's not really a big deal because we both know exactly where we are going, and it's only 5 stops away. I will just meet her at the restaurant. (I don't get any cell service underground, so we couldn't communicate with each other)

So I arrive at the restaurant alone and greet my parents, who immediately question me about where my wife is. I told them what happened, and they didn't really seem to think much of it. But when she gets there 20 minutes later, she is all angry at me for not getting off the train at the next stop and waiting for her there, then getting on that train and continuing together. It made for a bit of an uncomfortable brunch, because we could all tell there was tension. After the brunch on our way home, she explained why she was mad and then became all short with me and pretty much gave me silence the rest of the way home.

My position is that we both knew where we were going and she knew my parents are easily irritated when I arrive late, so why would I have gotten off the train to wait for her unnecessarily?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

bee posted:

Yeah I would have kicked them out too. Tickets aside, if someone crashes into me or I gotta slam on the brakes because something moves in front of the car the last thing I need is unsecured idiots launching through the space inside the car.

You can tell these people never had road safety ads like this permanently burned into their brain growing up.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Roller Coast Guard posted:

You can tell these people never had road safety ads like this permanently burned into their brain growing up.

gently caress :stare:

Ours weren't quite that graphic usually

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

It's not just family stuff, it happens with friend group, gaming groups, coworkers, and so on. Someone gets away with throwing their weight around and everyone in the group is used to it and doesn't want to rock the boat, then when one person pushes back everyone says 'oh yeah, I don't have to keep coddling this jerk' or 'well, now it's not my fault if things start to blow up'.

It's true, but I'd say the more common result is for the "peace-keepers" (i.e. enablers) who've spent many years successfully redirecting the toxic person's abuse towards the designated victim will pool and redouble their efforts to harass the victim into remaining such so that the rest don't become collateral for the bully/narcissist's frustration. A mate is going through this now with her aunt following the death of her grandfather, who played the role of father and kind of kept the aunt in line until now. My mate is fed up and going for a combination of standing up to the bully and grey rocking her, and thankfully the grandfather was savvy enough to organise the will to minimise the aunt's legal potential for bulldozer-level shenanigans, but so far the rest of the family is still in appeasement mode. It's always lovely when the straw that breaks the camel's back has the family come together and finally stand up to the self-appointed tyrant, but as far as I can tell, it seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Most people tend to have to go it alone when they stand up to a bully like that - the idea seems to be, "you've spent years/decades being our sacrificial lamb, why would you selfishly decide now to rock the boat and force us to deal with the monster we've created?" and they calculate that it's easier to just bully the victim back into submission.. which often works, sadly

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Technocrat posted:

My mother-in-law was mortified when I asked the priest from the Theravada temple to put his seatbelt on.

...did he?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

edgeman83 posted:

This guy is clearly not Yale material

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

bee posted:

gently caress :stare:

Ours weren't quite that graphic usually

British PSAs are their own specific horror genre. If you ever have half an hour spare, I highly recommend "Apaches", a short film about the dangers of being a kid playing on a farm which includes both death by weedkiller and slurry pit.

Edit: Oh poo poo it's directed by the same guy that directed The Long Good Friday. We used to be a country.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Hughlander posted:

Aiw for not being okay with some creepy guy having access to my soon to be stepdaughter and being angry at my fiancé for allowing it?

BLOOD DAUGHTER is my favorite all-female grindcore band :black101:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m glad it’s over but please do not post animal abuse stories in this thread. I’m not going to get into a debate about what is and isn’t okay because the last thread become horrifying at times when assholes would show up to try and outdo each other by finding the worst examples possible.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

edgeman83 posted:

If they'd always planned to go to the same school then he probably applied to Yale too and is butthurt he didn't get in.

Supporting evidence: Feeling the need to point out she was rejected by Harvard

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Samovar posted:

...did he?

Between my clunky Sinhala and some gestures, he got the message fortunately. I've been removed from priest-taxi duties since then

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for not waiting for my wife at the next subway station after I got on the train, and the doors closed before she got on?

This guy sucks so bad

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I’m glad it’s over but please do not post animal abuse stories in this thread. I’m not going to get into a debate about what is and isn’t okay because the last thread become horrifying at times when assholes would show up to try and outdo each other by finding the worst examples possible.

If anything this thread has the opposite problem, assholes showing up with thinner and thinner skin trying to outdo each other in feigning outrage

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Technocrat posted:

Well I mean, there's a Chinese expression "早死早超生", literally "the earlier you die, the earlier you reincarnate" :haw:

It just means "to get it over with".

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

BrigadierSensible posted:

When he said "she probably has BPD" I figured it was either OP being the rear end in a top hat or it sibling was going to have done something spectacular and everyone would be like "yeah, it's OK not to invite the person who got angry and tried to set your apartment on fire", I didn't really think it was saying trans = crazy. When OP got to listing off the allegedly terrible mental health episodes, I didn't catch that they were probably trans related, just that they were such ordinary 12-year old things that OP was obviously being a complete dick about a mental health issue. So even if you take out the transphobia and racism, OP was still hitting high 'rear end in a top hat' numbers for me.

edgeman83 posted:

AITA loves to give misleading titles, so I was expecting the usual 'twist' where it turns out he was screaming at her because a car was about to hit her because she was distracted looking at college letters or something like that. I was actually a little surprised when the title turned out to be an accurate description of the situation.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If anything this thread has the opposite problem, assholes showing up with thinner and thinner skin trying to outdo each other in feigning outrage

Opposed to you totally thick skin posters who break down and cry whenever a mod does the littlest amount of modding.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

No one is interested in your whining.

AITAH for being upset over my bf's dad making a joke?

quote:

I've been with my boyfriend for a little over a year and we've recently been spending more time with his parents, as they've moved to the area.

Last night, we were invited over for dinner. I made a carrot cake to bring for dessert. My boyfriend's dad doesn't really have a filter, so he made a joke about whether or not there were bugs in the cake. This caught me off guard, but he explained himself by saying he and his wife had seen vendors in China selling skewered bugs. I'm Chinese and was pretty taken aback by this. I wasn't really feeling super comfortable after this, so my boyfriend and I left after dinner.

He called to talk today, but it didn't seem like an apology. He just told me that my reaction was hard for him to deal with and that I would drive a wedge between him and his son if I continued to react the way I did to his jokes. He told me that it wasn't personal and that he doesn't want to feel like he has to walk on eggshells around me. He said he's a straightshooter and speaks his mind. I don't know what to think. AITAH?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 22, 2024

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Sounds like someone's been going through Larry Davids wastepaper-basket.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Admiral Joeslop posted:

No one is interested in your whining.

AITAH for being upset over my bf's dad making a joke?

anybody who describes themselves as a "straight shooter" isn't, and anyone who says they "speak their mind" unfortunately isn't and typically what's on their mind is racism. we just talked about projection and here's this guy saying that she's gonna drive a wedge between him and his son like his actions aren't the problem.
anyways, we should bring back struggle sessions

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ApplesandOranges posted:

"...(I don't get any cell service underground, so we couldn't communicate with each other)..."

I've had this happen multiple times and every time I was able to mime/mouth something to the effect of "I'll wait at the next stop" or "I'll catch up, just get to the restaurant" or whatever without any trouble.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Alternatively, if you absolutely have no means of communication whatsoever, waiting at the next stop seems like it would be the default option in a healthy relationship.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
text them

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

:hmmyes:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cloacamazing! posted:

Alternatively, if you absolutely have no means of communication whatsoever, waiting at the next stop seems like it would be the default option in a healthy relationship.

Nah I am with train guy. What if he gets off at the next stop, and then so does she, but they can't find each other in the crowd and they both miss the train? Or she gets off the train to look for him as he's getting on to look for her? It's simpler and therefore better to just proceed to the next prearranged meeting space which was the final destination.

E: of course this presupposes they have never had the completely reasonable conversation of "hey if we ever get separated in a crowd we should [x]."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
That month-long probe you guys gave Cowslips that chased them from the thread sure cut down on abuse posting and bitching about abuse posting huh?

AITA For refusing to pick my daughter up and instead leaving her to get lectured by her dad?

quote:

My daughter Kelly’s extracurricular was hosting an event that she wanted to volunteer for. The plan was that Kelly would stay for the full weekend to do the event, she would go on a bus to the building where the extracurricular is usually hosted, then I would pick her up from there since it’s only a 20 minute drive from home.

It was over five hours of driving. It took three hours to get to there plus another two hours just to sit in traffic at the car line for the event. Traffic was not nearly as bad on the return trip, luckily. My younger daughter and I were having dinner an hour away from home, when I got a call from Kelly asking to come home.

Nothing bad had happened. Kelly just said she didn’t like the things they were having her do (Carrying boxes/supplies, manning the check-in booth, etc.) She knew beforehand that she would be sleeping on a cot with a bunch of kids in the same area but claimed she didn’t realize what that was actually like until now and she wanted to go home.

I told Kelly no, we were already hours away. Kelly started saying it wouldn’t be as bad as if we were already home, and that the traffic probably wouldn’t be as bad as it was earlier to get near the event. I again told Kelly no, and that, frankly, her asking this was extremely inconsiderate to us and our time. There was a convention that her sister wanted to go to but had to turn down because I had no one to take her and Kelly promised this event was important to her.

Kelly kept begging me to pick her up. I told her no and suggested she ask her dad David if he’s willing to drive out and pick her up. Kelly eventually did end up calling David and claims that he lectured her for the entire two hours that he was driving them home. Kelly told her grandmother, who told me that Kelly’s actions were inconsiderate, but I know Kelly and David don’t get along right now. And I should have gone to get Kelly since I was closer than I would have been at home and a two hour lecture was just excessive on David’s end.

I agree David’s lecture was excessive, but Kelly could also take it away as an important lesson that when you ask other people to accommodate you for a commitment and end up breaking said commitment, people are naturally going to be upset with you. Besides, it wasn’t as if Kelly was stranded in the middle of nowhere or in a bad situation. She was perfectly safe at the event. She could have either rode out the weekend or dealt with the lecture from David.

I know a typical response in this situation is usually to say my mother shouldn’t have any input because she isn’t Kelly parent. But she does help with the girls and it wouldn’t be right to say she isn’t entitled to some input considering she has stepped up and gone out of her way as a grandparent to help in that regard. I’m looking for other perspective because I’m still unsure of whether I should consider my mother’s words or apologize to Kelly. AITA?