Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
just pre-ordering the homermobile to get (not) cheap heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
okada rules

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The cybotruck belongs with a worker who botches constantly.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

that pape was an alltimer on paper and I wont say I was disappointed but I was kind of underwhelmed by everything except pac/okada and ospreay/danielson. the production felt really disjointed and frenetic (pejorative) and I would have appreciated a clearer shot of climactic moments like the busaiku blade duel

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

panko posted:

that pape was an alltimer on paper and I wont say I was disappointed but I was kind of underwhelmed by everything except pac/okada and ospreay/danielson. the production felt really disjointed and frenetic (pejorative) and I would have appreciated a clearer shot of climactic moments like the busaiku blade duel

I am not gonna argue, your opinion is your opinion. But when I watch easily the best ppv I've ever seen of wrestling and I see a post like this I'm not mad. I'm just confused. Because my brain literally can't get in your headspace to understand where you're coming from.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Was a great pape, made even better by the post-show press conference where Tony Kahn confirmed The Acclaimed were compromised to a permanent end and their bodies dumped into the Missouri River. They will never sully an AEW program ever again.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Shard posted:

I am not gonna argue, your opinion is your opinion. But when I watch easily the best ppv I've ever seen of wrestling and I see a post like this I'm not mad. I'm just confused. Because my brain literally can't get in your headspace to understand where you're coming from.

using words like “argue” and “mad” in response to a pretty milquetoast opinion kind of does make you sound mad

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Danielson vs Will should have been one camera shot.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

panko posted:

using words like “argue” and “mad” in response to a pretty milquetoast opinion kind of does make you sound mad

Would debate and angered have worked better?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Swerve vs. Joe exists in a weird middle ground where i spent the entire build thinking this isnt the right time, he shouldnt win. Then when Swerve came out, I was like yeah this is it, this is the time to win. And when he won, I was like, wait, that's it? I wanted to feel more. I wanted it to feel bigger.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MJeff posted:

Swerve vs. Joe exists in a weird middle ground where i spent the entire build thinking this isnt the right time, he shouldnt win. Then when Swerve came out, I was like yeah this is it, this is the time to win. And when he won, I was like, wait, that's it? I wanted to feel more. I wanted it to feel bigger.
I can get that. And I think it's because we live in a world where osprey became aews biggest wrestler right away. We'll see how Swerve is as world champ. If he can at least help the title as much as Joe did then I'll call it a success

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I went in with zero expectations. A mind free or desires and want. I experienced the pape as it happened, fully experiencing each moment without my own personal distortions.

It was good, some stuff could have been better. Worth the price of 16.66666666

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The only thing I would have changed is having Hangman try and fail to stop it from happening. It also had to follow, well, the entire PPV. Oh, and it would have been nice to have a Chaka Khan-backed video package and maybe some blood. But I foresee a hell of a run in his future, and he crushed it at the media scrum and it truly felt huge there.

I'm just happy it happened. that's my guy!!!!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MJeff posted:

I get this, it was kind of a delayed reaction for me where I was still coming off the many highs in the show and only fully felt it during the scrum. He's sitting there with the title in front of him and it just felt right. YMMV, though.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Absolutely watch the scrum if you haven't. It really hammered the win home for me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Swerve definitely should've bled. Not sure why he didn't.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shard posted:

it needed the bloodline

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

AEW does have a really weird problem to solve in that you can either put the title on the best wrestler in the world and suppress the development of a bunch of dudes who should also be holding it or you can sometimes have your title match feel like it's not the most important match on the card.

He should have bled.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gumball Gumption posted:

AEW does have a really weird problem to solve in that you can either put the title on the best wrestler in the world and suppress the development of a bunch of dudes who should also be holding it or you can sometimes have your title match feel like it's not the most important match on the card.

He should have bled.

WWE solves this problem by choosing the most important guy and then brutally suppressing anybody that gets more over than that.

It's funny how booking for trying to make the best show rather than trying to get one star over leads to these weird issues, but, yeah. That's probably why WWE does it that way.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Ospreay winning the title this year is a foregone conclusion, he's just the top guy and everyone can see it. The guy's matches, promos, and even scrum soundbites are unmissable right now. He's your guy that nobody else in the world can top in 2024 and he is going to bring in the eyeballs.

There is still plenty for him to do before we get to the title, though, namely extricating him from the Don Callis Family. He will also need to collide (heh) with Moxley at some point, which is another match that's going to move tickets.

Ospreay's overness and obvious talent kinda put Swerve is a weird position for his first reign, but it's probably also a bit of a relief that he doesn't have as much pressure to "carry" AEW the way that, say, MJF did. There are fresh matchups they can do with Christian, Jack Perry, Okada, and others and there are a couple of ready-made rivals in Hangman and Keith Lee, assuming either of them is available to wrestle. Swerve is also over and they should 100% have him wrestle Ospreay because that match would be terribly sick.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

With how top heavy the roster is these days, I’ll be kind of annoyed if Keith Lee gets over his jobitis just in time to work a world title program. Get lost bum.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Mjf really did have an unenviable position with the state punk left the company in. Swerve should have a much easier time

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

when tanahashi botched getting up on the top tope like six papes ago and swerve improv’ed a sequence that made both of them look good I was like. belt this dude up. what a sick wrestler all throughout this fed’s tenure. the swerve in our glory days were the high points of the tag division and the hangman deathmatch is one of the most memorable matches of all time for me. but he tends to stumble over his words in promos and his interesting nonformulaic offense and transitions that I was so enamored by in early days has kind of gotten its lunch eaten by ospreay’s physicality. never really getting a satisfying resolution to the keith lee feud hurt too. I wasn’t as hype to see him win the big belt as I would have been even a couple of months ago. I also thought the swervekanda forever entrance sucked apart from the robe

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

post hole digger posted:

With how top heavy the roster is these days, I’ll be kind of annoyed if Keith Lee gets over his jobitis just in time to work a world title program. Get lost bum.

Swerve pretty much said "I'm fuckin' over this dude." without saying it when he no showed last time.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Ketih Lee should be nowhere near Swerve if he ever decides to wrestle again, he can start back at the bottom on Rampage or some poo poo

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Keith should not wrestle for both health and talent reasons

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Keith used to be so good 😔

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

He was the other guy I wanted AEW to sign so badly because I was convinced he would be one of their best guys if given the chance. It sucks so much how badly COVID cooked him :(

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i love keith lee. he is wrestler shaped

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
It's a good problem to have with good wrestlers, but that means you should probably start trimming down the roster a bit, or try and figure out the branding for the next few years.

It's feeling like WWE under Vince, but uses the heavy duty wrestlers in 4/5 Star matches for you to forget.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jericho reminds me of the cruel inevitability of time. I will say he probably performs in ring better than any other wrestler who has ever looked like that.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Swerve/Joe had the Wrestle Kingdom 18 problem where the supposed main event involving the top title has to follow one of the best wrestling matches of all time; both of these instances involved Will Ospreay, there’s a pattern forming here.

E: WK 17, not 18

bloodysabbath fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 22, 2024

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Ghost Dog posted:

i love keith lee. he is wrestler shaped

Love a wrestler that reminds me of Angelica’s nightmare baby brother from Rugrats. Keith, Morishima, Walter before they gave him ozempic, etc.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Toni is a great wrestler and I love her commitment to the bit. I just wish it was a better bit.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

NienNunb posted:

Love a wrestler that reminds me of Angelica’s nightmare baby brother from Rugrats. Keith, Morishima, Walter before they gave him ozempic, etc.

...Tommy? The main character of the show?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

...Tommy? The main character of the show?

Learn your rugrats lore

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://x.com/cory_hays407/status/1782292515342700702?s=46&t=_v3L--jlsEKPoIDfuIGAUA

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Did you mean to post that in the Jase Regal thread

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
How will Cody ever recover from this assault on his character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Maybe Toni was as grossed out by Cody thanking his sex pervert bosses as the rest of us were.