Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'll readily admit I'm wrong if I can see some data. Narcissism functions as a wonderful defense mechanism to protect the person from thinking that they've done anything wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I stopped reading after the first sentence.

Narcissists and people with no shame or morals don't kill themselves.

Wow look at this hitler lover

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Tunicate posted:

Wow look at this hitler lover

IT'S CALLED HISTORICAL MEMORABILIA!!!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Yeah, that’s why they martyr themselves. They want to go out in a melodramatic manner, crying about injustice and persecution, that accept consequences.

Let’s all hold hands for a moment and agree that Alex Jones dying in a drunk driving incident is the most likely resolution to all of this.

Every thing else is details.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Marsupial Ape posted:

Yeah, that’s why they martyr themselves. They want to go out in a melodramatic manner, crying about injustice and persecution, that accept consequences.

Hmmm... that makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Let’s all hold hands for a moment and agree that Alex Jones dying in a drunk driving incident is the most likely resolution to all of this.

Every thing else is details.

:hmmyes:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Because you did ask for an example, once again R Budd Dwyer.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Jim Jones, also. Tho maybe he ordered someone else to do it for him

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Marsupial Ape posted:

Well I specifically mentioned "anecdotes" because one off examples don't really prove anything. Sure, there are a handful of high profile self-offings, but I'd imagine the millions of narcissists over the years prefer to live and will just convince themselves of their own reality.

Like Trump. He is the quintessential narcissist.

Narcissism isn't some extremely rare thing. It's in the DSM and you probably know people right now who have some of those qualities. I can totally see the martyr/romanticism of some of them killing themselves though. I just very very very very very rarely see it. (unfortunately)

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 22, 2024

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Yeah, IMHO, narcissists are natural solipsists. By killing himself, the narcissist believes he is annihilating existence. “gently caress me? No, gently caress you!” type thinking.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Well I think the trick is they have to have such serious consequences for their actions on the way that it makes them think leaving on their own terms is better than facing the music. Probably not a lot of people in general gently caress up that hard, on average

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Feels to me like personality disorders are a giant pile of projection that starts with a decent person asking "how can somebody enjoy cruelty" and reverse engineering a way to make it logical

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. I hate myself and sometimes want to die! :buddy:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Well I specifically mentioned "anecdotes" because one off examples don't really prove anything. Sure, there are a handful of high profile self-offings, but I'd imagine the millions of narcissists over the years prefer to live and will just convince themselves of their own reality.

Like Trump. He is the quintessential narcissist.

Jones doesn't seem to have that level of defense available to him. He is regularly on air either poo poo faced or hopped on uppers, complaining about his entire life being under attack and everyone being mean to him but it's OK the harder they hit him the more it makes him mad he promises! It just means that he's taking flak because he's over the target! Then he hangs up the phone because he didn't even come in to the studio that day he just called in to rant and rave.

Edit: Also that he got a download from god while eating a piece of chicken fried steak and he knows the universal truths hidden from all others. So not exactly a stable person.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 22, 2024

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I'll readily admit I'm wrong if I can see some data. Narcissism functions as a wonderful defense mechanism to protect the person from thinking that they've done anything wrong.
Where did you even get this idea? You have repeatedly said, specifically, that they do not kill themselves.

Narcissists don't kill themselves.

Narcissists and people with no shame or morals don't kill themselves.

Not sure if I've mentioned this before but people like Alex Jones do not commit suicide.
Aside from your take on Lowtax obviously being different from mine you can do a basic search on google scholar and find NPD is considered a risk factor for suicide.

this paper posted:

Suicide attempts and suicidal ideation are peculiar aspects of several cluster b disorders, including Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Similarly, difficulty in regulating negative affects can play a role in the relationship between narcissist features and suicidal ideation.
https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...4A36BB254C09B81

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Narcissism isn't some extremely rare thing. It's in the DSM and you probably know people right now who have some of those qualities. I can totally see the martyr/romanticism of some of them killing themselves though. I just very very very very very rarely see it. (unfortunately)

Man, I wish. Narcissists can read a room.

Here’s some lunch hour reading: https://annals-general-psychiatry.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12991-022-00380-8 the abstract looks interesting

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Marsupial Ape posted:

Man, I wish. Narcissists can read a room.

Here’s some lunch hour reading: https://annals-general-psychiatry.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12991-022-00380-8 the abstract looks interesting

Oh neat. Breaking it down into the subtypes seems interesting. When I think of narcissism I always thing of just this:

quote:

The grandiose/oblivious subtype was characterized by exaggerated self-importance, lack of remorse, interpersonal manipulativeness, seething anger, pursuit of interpersonal power, and pursuit of privilege.

Which is why it's hard for me to understand why they would do it. But it appears that narcissism, as I should have guessed, is a lot more complicated than that.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Rat Patrol posted:

Jim Jones, also. Tho maybe he ordered someone else to do it for him
I read Tim Reitman's book about suriving Jonestown. Final moments aren't clear, coroner said suicide, but there was a spare seat on the cessna that made it out of the jungle loaded with all the cult's cash. Reitman still thinks someone decided the captain definitely needed to go down with the ship.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
narcissists kill themselves to punish others. treump certainly pouts and wears a red hat and delights in "punishing" others but i think he's too much of a coward and and he delights too much in the reaction. i just don't see trump figuring it would be worth it

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Artum posted:

On the one hand, yes he should be barred from having a good time, on the other hand him not being around is a real terms reduction in him doing harm. Colloidal silver linings and all that.

Fixed

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Outrail posted:

Maybe after he dies of alcoholism his ex wife and kids if he has them won't get any money.

And that's entirely on his own shittiness.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Jones will die after getting a slight scratch or poking his skin on something and then popping like a balloon full of blood. If we could harness that man's blood pressure we could end our dependence on fossil fuels.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Jones will die after getting a slight scratch or poking his skin on something and then popping like a balloon full of blood. If we could harness that man's blood pressure we could end our dependence on fossil fuels.

https://youtu.be/-gVKWD5p_Mg?si=qeK6YbTkqGC8mJCw

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Baron von Eevl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_MnyV-HH3U

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
He's a drunk that loves pills and is comically overweight, so all signs poimt to heart attack

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Froghammer posted:

He's a drunk that loves pills and is comically overweight, so all signs poimt to heart attack

While operating a moving motor vehicle.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Scarodactyl posted:

Where did you even get this idea? You have repeatedly said, specifically, that they do not kill themselves.

Aside from your take on Lowtax obviously being different from mine you can do a basic search on google scholar and find NPD is considered a risk factor for suicide.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...4A36BB254C09B81

Yeah it's a dumb take. All personality disorders come with a higher risk of suicide. The ideal selfish person with no morals is a psychopath and they off themselves all the time. If people with personality disorders were happy they wouldn't have personality disorders. It's this idiot pop psychology poo poo surrounding narcissism that's all over the plane. Top 10 signs your spouse may be a narcissist etc

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gotta love a drunk that is also into amphetamines. Really speedrunning an early death.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Marsupial Ape posted:

Rush Limbaugh also went out blubbering and moaning but turns out cancer doesn’t give a poo poo

red19fire
May 26, 2010

https://youtu.be/1eXSIsNS4tw?si=t6v3RCiC1jphNTxp

I hope this is how Alex Jones goes out (with Daria, Owen, et al in the car).

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I need some law goons to post about how effective the legal system is at punishing rich white men. They've been scarce lately. Where did they all go?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Gotta love a drunk that is also into amphetamines. Really speedrunning an early death.

also hes fat lol

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Slyphic posted:

I need some law goons to post about how effective the legal system is at punishing rich white men. They've been scarce lately. Where did they all go?

The wheels of justice grind slowly but eventually everyone gets it. Everyone.

Oh rich white guys, we're still waiting for that. But it's not a big deal they're like 1% of the population, basically a rounding error.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

MrQwerty posted:

also hes fat lol

He’s just chili-pilled

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Well I specifically mentioned "anecdotes" because one off examples don't really prove anything...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35065658/

nih.gov article on narcissism not being particularly rare for suicide.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Outrail posted:

The wheels of justice grind slowly but eventually everyone gets it. Everyone.

Oh rich white guys, we're still waiting for that. But it's not a big deal they're like 1% of the population, basically a rounding error.

like 95% of his wealth is under the court's control and he can't touch it

yeah, he can still afford plane tickets with the remaining 5%, but a civil lawsuit was never going to reduce him to actual rice-and-beans poverty

rest assured that he's still probably pretty bothered about having tens of millions of dollars taken away from him

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If almost all of my money was taken but I left with enough to live a lifestyle beyond the reach of 99% of people I'd be really super duper upset.

He's going through bankruptcy proceedings and can still afford to go on holiday that I have to save up for years to afford, he's not being punished.

Not rice and beans, but I'll be happy if his wealth level drops to the median American level, but I guess that still triggers cruel and unusual punishment.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

'Probably pretty bothered' by only having a few million dollars, well then justice is served. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, Go Team USA!

Just be appropriately disgusted by the process and current outcome here, that's all I'm asking for.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Slyphic posted:

They all got distracted by OJ dying and are very excitedly posting about how the families of his victims could maybe possibly see a dime of the money they were owed. You know, after OJ lived out the rest of his life successfully shielding the money from them and living completely unhindered by the judgement.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
imo Thomas Midgly Jr, Ayn Rand, Mitch Mcconnel , Rupert Murdoch are probably better TT targets.

opps wrong thread/tab. this post is about dumb time travel hitman stuff.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

PhazonLink posted:

imo Thomas Midgly Jr, Ayn Rand, Mitch Mcconnel , Rupert Murdoch are probably better TT targets.

opps wrong thread/tab. this post is about dumb time travel hitman stuff.

You’re still correct to post this here.