Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nice, I owned this noble guy in both archery and the sword duel and got his bow (in Kingdom Come Deliverance). I get the impression the noble guy is going to become my buddy at some point.

Sword fighting is pretty neat in this and makes you feel like a badass when you do things correctly. The core gimmick of controlling attack/defend direction with the analog stick is pretty clever. I guess you use the mouse for that with K+M?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

lol theyre actually called the fun pimps

it's my favorite studio name of all time, nothing else even comes close

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
playing 7 Days To Die with your bros until you build a zombie killing maze that is so intricate and perfect that the sheer number of zombies it kills causes everyone's game to crash even if they have top of the line hardware...ftw

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

all right, so the Elves have built this motte-and-bailey around the realm of Zaga, but you've devised a plan to help break them out. First, you have to assemble the parts for a Gnomish Flying Machine, and then...

*Remembering the argument I got in on here over whether or not tabletop RPGs are just improv and realizing he was a guy who plays them like this* lol

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

stomped the nameless king like third try. truly the greatclub can't be stopped.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
lol that Arx Fatalis has a stock market manipulation mechanic that didn't even occur to me until I'd missed my window of opportunity. Goblins exploit trolls to mine gemstones for them, but the trolls are on strike because their good-luck idol is missing. You can buy shares in the mine at the bank, and this is the right time to buy shares because the mines aren't operational. Then you find the idol and get the trolls working again, which lets you sell the shares for a profit. You can also give the troll king a book on finance which makes him realize the goblins are exploiting them so the trolls start selling their gemstones themselves, and the goblin kingdom becomes hostile to you as a result. Love this game.

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 13:20 on Apr 22, 2024

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, it's rare for a game to have decent voice overs from both the male and female options, usually one is head and shoulders better.

To fit the setting even better, and to troll the chuds, they could've used both in one playthrough by having V transition halfway through the story. If you start male, you'd go female halfway through, and vice versa. Would've made the chuds spray hot diarrhea and their heads explode.

This happens in the best Dark Souls game, Dark Souls II.

It took me many hours to realize it had happened because the heavier armor looks basically the same on both body types.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

larian is adding mod tools to bg3.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

happy Urth Day

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's my favorite studio name of all time, nothing else even comes close

very naughty aughtys naming. it’s good

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Unlocking drugs in Orb of Creation is a game changer.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tankbuster posted:

vaultboy is a charismatic mascot.
Time for Goggins to play King Leoric/The Skeleton King in the Diablo TV series.

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah it seems like the problem with KCD was less about the abject lack of black people, and more that it has an extremely orientalist view of the Cumans-employed-by-the-Hungarians. It's tracks really closely with Ghosts of Tsushima depicting Mongols as preternaturally evil hordes that love to rape and plunder.
Vikings used to be treated like that, so this is actually just a transition period into Mongols and other Asian steppe peoples being treated as peak whiteness.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1782429930749673760?t=Fo890bzpbd7MXBzQEn2Kbg&s=19

Folks, the new festival has been announced.
https://twitter.com/billieeilish/status/1782439458216042970?t=BpAamgOYbU__WrR-AYNJdg&s=19
I'm excited for this. I've enjoyed the music of her's that I've listened to. I hope the pass has some other fun tunes to play.

Turns out the roadmap was real too.
https://twitter.com/Loolo_WRLD/status/1782440680012345564?t=ZeD46q1HeUWC83AU6fEoZQ&s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1782429930749673760?t=Fo890bzpbd7MXBzQEn2Kbg&s=19

Folks, the new festival has been announced.
https://twitter.com/billieeilish/status/1782439458216042970?t=BpAamgOYbU__WrR-AYNJdg&s=19
I'm excited for this. I've enjoyed the music of her's that I've listened to. I hope the pass has some other fun tunes to play.

Turns out the roadmap was real too.
https://twitter.com/Loolo_WRLD/status/1782440680012345564?t=ZeD46q1HeUWC83AU6fEoZQ&s=19

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Billie is a good get

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I wonder what battle mode Billie gonna look like

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It will be her, but in that oversized hoodie

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Finished FF7:Rebirth. It was good, ending was fine, I enjoy how unserious it is. Now I'm deciding which similar but different game to play next. Dragons Dogma 2 or Octopath 2

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Good

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Fortnite fell off if they have to feature feet to get players in their game

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
historically accurate italian stereotype character complaining about not having an appropriate carbohydrate medium for all of this maranara sauce

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

running down to the town cryer with a big bubbling pot of fazool who shakes his head at me dejectedly, already knowing that id be asking him whether marco polo has returned from the orient

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Al! posted:

historically accurate italian stereotype character complaining about not having an appropriate carbohydrate medium for all of this maranara sauce
please do not troll me by implying he had access to tomatoes

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Al! posted:

running down to the town cryer with a big bubbling pot of fazool who shakes his head at me dejectedly, already knowing that id be asking him whether marco polo has returned from the orient

lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teaser of the trailer lol
https://twitter.com/FNFestival/status/1782454698944909557?t=HV65PrcVdcJdLArA8GZjeg&s=19
Here are the songs coming
https://twitter.com/ShiinaBR/status/1782458784918503698?t=MY0eLqFT5PkxShoAR_i1ww&s=19

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

please do not troll me by implying he had access to tomatoes

they used to make marinara sauce with beets. it was disgusting but nobody knew because they didnt have anything to put it on

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
sole italian character in KCD2 is the vile creature called Garum

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

suddenly remembering Fallout 4 started with Tel Aviv being nuked to hell. :pubstove:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think it's good that Kingdom Come reproduces the period-accurate medieval experience of subsisting off of random half-spoiled food you loot off of corpses

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Nonsense posted:

suddenly remembering Fallout 4 started with Tel Aviv being nuked to hell. :pubstove:

in the Deus Ex setting i think israel ends up getting owned by iran if i remember right from a article you can find in HR

edit yea found it:

"With the absorption of Palestine into the United Arab Front, it was inevitable that the coalition of nations first conceived by Iran in 2014 would turn their attention to Israel. Generations of Arabs who had grown up knowing of nothing but conflict with their neighbors were stirred to belligerence by the new power of the UAF; and emboldened by expansionist doctrines, plans were laid for a lightning-strike assault.

In March of 2021, the conflict that would become known as the Six Month War was ignited by a massed invasion. A carefully coordinated attack using infantry and armored elements, fighters and bombers, short-range ballistic missiles and limited littoral sea power struck at Israeli defense forces - but the key element of the engagement was the use of covert augmented operatives and cyber-warfare units to cripple defensive command-and-control networks and nuclear retaliatory strike capacity. "

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

def feels like a 12 year old game. I like the frame rate hiccup every time you fire a gun

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Because "Black" is a contemporary, American, category of race, created by having chattel slavery, and is not universal in time or space.

A medieval moor, even a subsaharan African transported across the Sahara, was not Black in any meaningful sense that we would recognize other then melenation. A contemporary African-American would have dramatically more in common with a medieval Englishmen than he would a Moor or African of the same time in any way you could care to count. This is consistent, certainly within the period we're discussing, I would argue through the 1960's and 70's.

In terms of basic worldview, cultural continuity, language, understanding of social units, economy, etc. a contemporary African American has more (dramatically more) in common with a German or Czech within the Holy Roman Empire of that period, than they would anyone from the Islamic world, and that is more true to a degree that's hard to overstate for subsaharan West Africa.

This is the problem with American discourse on the subject: In some time travel fantasy, the Holy Roman Empire would at least be recognizable to an African American. In their customs (Derived from later English customs), language (Germanic), religious system (typically Christian), an African American would be recognizable to the people of the Holy Roman Empire. Medieval West Africa would be wholly alien, and they alien to it.

If that point has not been made sufficiently clear, look no further than the colonization of Liberia, and the cultural encounter there.

The language is always my favorite part because if you time travel more than like 400-500 years no one anywhere is speaking a language remotely intelligible to you, and that includes the English

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

TontoCorazon posted:

Fortnite fell off if they have to feature feet to get players in their game

The ultimate expression of gaming, a live service, with every pop culture crossover you can imagine. The olds were right, this isnt an artistic medium.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
fortnite is good and it is art

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

god drat friede and that big scottish monster are serious as a heart attack. the greatclub isnt working.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The language is always my favorite part because if you time travel more than like 400-500 years no one anywhere is speaking a language remotely intelligible to you, and that includes the English

I was thinking about this, and I figure a reasonably intelligent person could adapt, since we know native American, Persian, Chinese and African visitors to Early Modern Europe learned European languages passably fairly quickly.

You would just need to be friendly and convey that you are a visitor from far away when you first show up. For whatever reason, a lot of American time travel media has settled on "Discover outsider = kill them", which has pretty much... never (?) been the case so far as I know, just based on these travelogues, various shipwrecked sailors that show up in the early modern era.

Also, these guys,

180 & 181. FRENCHMEN By the 1540s at the very, latest numerous Frenchmen could be found living alone amongst the Tupí, to learn their language, to make
alliances and improve their trading opportunities, and to act as middlemen and translators for traders arriving from France to do business with the Indians. Like their coureurs de bois counterparts in 18th century Canada, they were often so successful at assimilating themselves as to become virtually indistinguishable from the natives. There are several references to such men abandoning their clothes and going naked like the Indians, and Jean de Léry wrote in 1556 that some went native to such an extent that they even participated in ritual cannibalism, killing and eating the host tribe's enemies. Portuguese living among the natives adopted their customs in exactly the same way, and as early as the first decade of the century several castaways marooned on the Brazilian coast had already risen to positions of some authority among the tribes that had adopted them. One Portuguese living among the Tupinamb in 1585 went naked and tattooed just like them, and even fought alongside his tribe against Paulista slavers. Figure 180, from a picture in Léry's book, depicting a French trader being greeted by Tupí Indians, is more conventionally attired.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm confused at all the comments excited about this. They don't seem to be joking?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I was thinking about this, and I figure a reasonably intelligent person could adapt, since we know native American, Persian, Chinese and African visitors to Early Modern Europe learned European languages passably fairly quickly.

You would just need to be friendly and convey that you are a visitor from far away when you first show up. For whatever reason, a lot of American time travel media has settled on "Discover outsider = kill them", which has pretty much... never (?) been the case so far as I know, just based on these travelogues, various shipwrecked sailors that show up in the early modern era.

Also, these guys,

180 & 181. FRENCHMEN By the 1540s at the very, latest numerous Frenchmen could be found living alone amongst the Tupí, to learn their language, to make
alliances and improve their trading opportunities, and to act as middlemen and translators for traders arriving from France to do business with the Indians. Like their coureurs de bois counterparts in 18th century Canada, they were often so successful at assimilating themselves as to become virtually indistinguishable from the natives. There are several references to such men abandoning their clothes and going naked like the Indians, and Jean de Léry wrote in 1556 that some went native to such an extent that they even participated in ritual cannibalism, killing and eating the host tribe's enemies. Portuguese living among the natives adopted their customs in exactly the same way, and as early as the first decade of the century several castaways marooned on the Brazilian coast had already risen to positions of some authority among the tribes that had adopted them. One Portuguese living among the Tupinamb in 1585 went naked and tattooed just like them, and even fought alongside his tribe against Paulista slavers. Figure 180, from a picture in Léry's book, depicting a French trader being greeted by Tupí Indians, is more conventionally attired.

it was easier to learn new languages back then because you were expected to speak and learn much less of it as an outsider and to operate within society in general

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

plus the expectation was that <10% of your citizenry could even read the language they speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

bitmap posted:

god drat friede and that big scottish monster are serious as a heart attack. the greatclub isnt working.

try hitting them harder