Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Honestly can’t imagine why every company isn’t doing this instead of hiring “prompt artists” when there’s no difference in the output

prompt broing is the skill of the future and if you can't learn to bro expertly, you will fall behind!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

This way you get to say that AI is creating new jobs and is fine, actually

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The expert veteran prompt bro walks into the office and updates the new guys prompt with “+ hide hands”

“They don’t teach you these tricks at prompt college, little bro”

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I just graduated from a prompt boot camp
Who wants to hire me, looking for big figgies only plz

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Smugworth posted:

I just graduated from a prompt boot camp
Who wants to hire me, looking for big figgies only plz

Job Offer for senior prompt wizard, low wage, fancy title

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/GaryMarcus/status/1782432687011381389

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

We still let self driving cars run their beta tests on public roads. We will NOT be holding tech bros responsible for their obviously damaging inventions.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

pixaal posted:

Job Offer for senior prompt wizard, low wage, fancy title

lol this is a bs offer op

i will hire you on as a lead prompt archmage at -5 USD per day

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'm generous, I pay my Bros in exposure.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
"prompt engineer" is a loving infuriating term.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Rad-daddio posted:

"prompt engineer" is a loving infuriating term.

It feels like a term you get by asking chatgpt “what is a less pathetic term for AI artist that can go on job postings?”

It failed

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

It feels like a term you get by asking chatgpt “what is a less pathetic term for AI artist that can go on job postings?”

It failed

My apologies for not meeting your expectations. Here are some alternative terms you might find suitable:

1. Computational artist
2. Digital art technician
3. Automated art designer
4. Machine-assisted art creator
5. Artificial intelligence art developer
6. Algorithmic art designer
7. loving chode
8. Technological art innovator
9. Digital creativity engineer
10. AI-driven art producer

Would any of these work better for your needs?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Tarkus posted:

However, once you understand the limitations they can become very useful. I use them almost every day with the knowledge that they are very flawed and I work around that.

I'm concerned that I'm going through a stunningly continuous and perpetual failure of imagination in that I can never think of anything to do with A.I. I feel like I'm turning into a version of my parents, who never seem to fully understand that they can just google things now.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

tbf, googling things now is really pretty awful

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
In a few years, going to the library and getting obscure information from books will be like some kind of god-tier super power.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

the bleeding edge of tech is an app that lets you hire structurally unemployable knowledge workers to look up things for you in libraries

the machines won't be reliable enough

the workers descend into the stacks wearing respirators to protect themselves from book lung

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I'm concerned that I'm going through a stunningly continuous and perpetual failure of imagination in that I can never think of anything to do with A.I. I feel like I'm turning into a version of my parents, who never seem to fully understand that they can just google things now.

Honestly, if you don't feel the need to use it, then don't. No need for FOMO. The difference in utility between using AI and not using AI is pretty marginal compared to the difference between using Google vs. not using google.

That said, AI is probably going to be shoehorned into every interface in the coming years so it might be useful to at least gently caress around with it a bit.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Someone asked why people act like it's such an own when the llms make mistakes or have shortcomings.

It's because the entire media machine and most individuals seem to think it's literally actually AGI when really its clippy powered by good autocomplete. It's absolutely nothing like what people sell it as and it's loving hilarious.

E:to be clear I am a scientist and it's actually really useful for data analysis and whatnot, but that's not how companies are attempting to use it nor how the public sees it

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 22, 2024

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Clippy is a good example because he lives on in Microsoft Search being a reasonable place to find something because every app's ribbon has turned into a disaster. We will eventually drop the anthropomorphizing and a LLM will just be a cold partly accurate fact vomiter.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

If someone can be a software engineer because they know how to Google for snippets of working code, someone can be a prompt engineer because they know how to prompt for working pieces of AI art

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Smugworth posted:

If someone can be a software engineer because they know how to Google for snippets of working code, someone can be a prompt engineer because they know how to prompt for working pieces of AI art

I'm a data engineer basically because I can look for things on Google and don't mind reading about how much of a loving idiot people on substack think I am for searching for the types of things I search for

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
a (masterpiece, brilliant) (post:1.5) about (AI), sarcastic, cutting, funny, good, not bad, not awful, very good, great, with (puns:9.99)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
poo poo i posted my confidential AI-powered posting engine secret sauce

vvv >:(

Mozi fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 22, 2024

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Mozi posted:

poo poo i posted my confidential AI-powered posting engine secret sauce

I gotta say it’s weird that the AI is posting this based on THAT prompt

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Smugworth posted:

I sort of ended up being the electrical engineer for my side gig mainly bc I kept googling stuff and watching you tube videos until my ideas started working.

...I made a proof of concept for one of my projects by stealing a mobile app that a literal middle school kid posted and tweaking it to fit my needs.

also, asking for help on the arduino forum is like asking random passersby to punch you in the head. I'd rather ask the same stupid questions to chatgpt until the code works.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Rad-daddio posted:

also, asking for help on the arduino forum is like asking random passersby to punch you in the head. I'd rather ask the same stupid questions to chatgpt until the code works.

Sounds like somebody didn't RTFM :grin:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

LLMs are a lot lot Augmented Reality in that there could actually be some credible use and practical applications with a much more narrow focus, but instead they're trying to cram it into every crevice they can and now it's useless.

There's a lot of use VR/AR could have in specific applications, especially for disabled persons and assistance for specific tasks, and LLMs could actually be used for similar purposes, refined and limited as a tool in a kit to get a job done.

Instead VR/AR revolves around "but my engagements" and LLMs are, well, all of what it is.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

the only good use of ai I've ever experienced was last week when I used google lens to look up a military ribbon

I'm a picture framer and was putting together a memorial shadowbox and didn't know which way was up on it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/neilturkewitz/status/1782427982948163838

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mozi posted:

a (masterpiece, brilliant) (post:1.5) about (AI), sarcastic, cutting, funny, good, not bad, not awful, very good, great, with (puns:9.99)

In case people weren't aware, "machine-assisted art creators" really do include phrases like 'masterpiece' and 'not awful' in their prompt lists

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Shad made AI drawings of his wife as supergirl which have been heavily criticised

And here's the prompt he wrote to get the 2nd version. (Second row are "things to exclude" which includes "bad art, bad anatomy")

When they brag about needing experience and expertise to write an effective prompt list this is the bullshit they're talking about, even though half of them are pointless in this context

The Sausages posted:

Most of the elaborate prompt-fu is cargo culting - people are copying phrases and words that more often than not don't affect the output, because they saw it in someone elses prompting and it seems logical to put stuff like "masterpiece" as a prompt or "bad anatomy" in the negative. But the models/loras/embeddings used affect the style and composition far more than "masterpiece, bad anatomy" do, and some things that seem sensible to AI creators are provably meaningless to the AI e.g, iirc "extra limbs" has zero effect on the number of limbs when included in a SD1.5 prompt, no matter how many (()) you include,

The A1111 interface makes it trivial to drop in hundreds of style tokens in every prompt, which is great for lazy AI creators. But they'd get better results starting with a clean slate and incremental tweaking of prompts instead of that overwrought word salad.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Kermit the frog huge boobs masterpiece realistic areolas

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

In my experience, you’re thinking too big even if you don’t think you are! I use Notion for all sorts of planning and notes and such and my most regular use of AI is to ask the embedded Notion AI to do the really boring table-setting stuff like

“Please make a 3x5 table with A, B and C as the header row items for each of these categories: blah blah blah blah blah”

And then it just does it and it saves the like ten additional seconds of making one table and pasting it 5 times.

Also when I was cooking Christmas dinner last winter for my big assembled family I just pasted all of the ingredients lists of the recipes and asked it to tally up the total number of apples or whatever so I had a shopping list

It’s never huge huge things but it does obnoxious busy work just slightly faster than we do—dump unstructured data into an AI tool and just have it structure it for you to save some time

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
They call themselvves "prompt Artists"?!?!

Everytime I hear something new about LLM's and generative crap is, it all just gets dumber

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"sandwich artist"

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I like the "please, leave it to me" attitude of the promptsmith, as if they hold some esoteric knowledge to wrangle this arcane technology

:o:: "Anime waifu big big BIG boobs"

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

idk like i think sandwich artistry is more legit than ai artistry

have you ever had, like, a really great sandwich

e: https://www.404media.co/ai-is-poisoning-reddit-to-promote-products-and-game-google-with-parasite-seo/

goodbye, days of appending "reddit" to queries to escape some of the blog spam

Insanite fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 23, 2024

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
Reddit before 2023, the new pre-atomic steel.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Prompt artists are like any other tradesperson that uses their knowledge of tools to make a living. Show some respect for blue collar workers

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

"sandwich artist"

that's a real job though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Dokapon Findom posted:

The worst part is, it can't just be new content to them, it must be made recently. Something from 2021? Sorry too old. You want rappers rapping about (rAnDoM tHiNg)? There's a treasure trove of actual obscure hip hop from the 80s, rapping about literally anything and everything if your interest is genuine- however that would require human intelligence, something that apparently is now totally off the table.

However this extensive back catalog of rap may not be able to satisfy everyone's terrible level of taste and sense of humor...

A part of me really hopes that tons of the Ai stuff grabs the attention of the trendwhores who want subpar things, and leave the rest of the art world alone, so the rest of us can have the good things without the trendjumper's weirdness,

Like making an artists super popular but then hating them a week later.
Or making tons of stupid articles about their fake controversies.
Like those people just want gossip and drama, and I hope they get it, and it's far away from me.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 23, 2024