Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He apparently was very vocally angry with people criticising Starmer in the early days of his leadership, going by the screenshots I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Tesseraction posted:

He apparently was very vocally angry with people criticising Starmer in the early days of his leadership, going by the screenshots I saw.

Thinking he's a nutter either way, cousin or not.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
On the plus side for him, that guy earns over £100k for his job, and his organisation has got their name in the media a shitload, so he's still having a better week than most people.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
why did the anti-anti-semitism campaigner cross the road

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i mean no way in hell are the police here letting someone dressed head to toe in celtic gear to cross the road through an orange march lol

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
eh, i mean he personally was being aggro and angling for trouble and the cop probably wouldn't have said it to someone who just happened to walk up the protest area, but 'you can't be standing around here like that, looking all jewish' is still not exactly great

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

i mean no way in hell are the police here letting someone dressed head to toe in celtic gear to cross the road through an orange march lol

gently caress, you don't have to be dressed in Celtic gear, if you try crossing in front of an Orange march at all they are going to stop you for your own safety because you'd end up with a tin whistle jammed up your arse & a drum burst over your head, all the while being kicked repeatedly by large red faced men who are very excited to tell you the time they drank with Mad Dog Adair in a pub near Ibrox.

One of those times where it'd be nice if journalists had ever spent more than half an hour outside of the south east of England.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Half the Spectator lot would volunteer if they knew about the whistle.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lmao 'eve fartlow' is once again a trending phrase on twitter

also lol

https://twitter.com/Eve_Barlow/status/1782107758642253991

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It looks like the Lords have caved in and the Rwanda bill is going to be passed :(

e: Yup :(

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 23, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mediaphage posted:

lmao 'eve fartlow' is once again a trending phrase on twitter

also lol

https://twitter.com/Eve_Barlow/status/1782107758642253991

Eve Violent-Diarrhea-low

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

fuctifino posted:

It looks like the Lords have caved in and the Rwanda bill is going to be passed :(

e: Yup :(

While it's a terrible law, this is exactly what the process is supposed ot do - stop an unelected house overruling an elected one. Shame they couldn't hold off until the next election.
On the other hand, this may move the election up.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, September looks a bit more likely now, particularly if they can insert your own 'awful thing to happen to immigrants' here and throw them on a plane to Kigali at some point in the summer.

The shame is, as Grey Hunter points out, that the moral voice here is a bunch of unelected old people who in a functional democracy wouldn't even be part of the process.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The way that any government will move on from brexit is to leap straight into more self inflicted inflammatory disasters, like a divorced man having his rebound dating spree.

My relationship with Rwanda has nothing to do with Europe. We just have a thing going. Why can't you be happy for Britain?

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
I look forward to the government bringing this same sense of legislative urgency to anything that isn't forced deportation of asylum seekers to countries thousands of miles away with questionable human rights records

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

dadrips posted:

I look forward to the government bringing this same sense of legislative urgency to anything that isn't forced deportation of asylum seekers to countries thousands of miles away with questionable human rights records

Sunak: The government is now on holiday! :sun:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ They can start with a trip to Rwanda.

dadrips posted:

The UK has accepted requests for asylum from Rwandans since this little political project began. The bill that was passed last night was a simple assertion that reality is whatever the government decides it is. It actually has less validity in its reasoning than the Indiana Pi Bill, which was the previous benchmark for pugnacious stupidity in the face of logic and sense.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Rwanda policy is gross and disgusting. Really vile stuff which will definitely not be rolled back by that loving alcoholic PE teacher once he wins the election.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

dadrips posted:

Don’t worry, soon we will be creating our very own questionable human rights records

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Starbucks posted:

Don’t worry, soon we will be creating our very own questionable human rights records

Finally a return to homegrown manufacturing :britain:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
How many of the 50,000 "illegal immigrants" a year do they plan on packing into these planes? Or did some Tory just set up their own airline?

A 737 can carry 161 passengers, call it 150 prisoners after you add some guards. Thats 333 planes - pretty much one a day.

I know they hope that this is supposed to be a stick to dissuade people, but it's all performative madness.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Grey Hunter posted:

How many of the 50,000 "illegal immigrants" a year do they plan on packing into these planes? Or did some Tory just set up their own airline?

A 737 can carry 161 passengers, call it 150 prisoners after you add some guards. Thats 333 planes - pretty much one a day.

I know they hope that this is supposed to be a stick to dissuade people, but it's all performative madness.

That doesn't sound too logistically challenging when you put it like that?

(Not that I think any of its ever gonna happen)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Grey Hunter posted:

I thought the deal with Rwanda was only for like 300 people max

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Grey Hunter posted:

This country has been run on nothing BUT performative madness now for a decade

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It's not a deterrent, people will come here regardless. The only benefit will be to people traffikers.

Fun reminder that asylum makes up a tiny percentage of the immigration figures. The rest of the number is fully in the control of the home office, and that's not going to change because we still need people to work in hospitals, old folks homes and farms. And there is no desire to pay those workers an actual livable salary so the industry will always rely on cheap labour from overseas.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 23, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

It's not even a stick to dissuade people. It's a means to justify taking us out of various human rights conventions when they are told that yes, actually brown people are human.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Grey Hunter posted:

Hey, buy local, a few A380s lying around. Full economy configuration can hold 840.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure they can figure out a way for them to hold more. I've seen the etchings every Abolition Day.

Jedit posted:

It's not even a stick to dissuade people. It's a means to justify taking us out of various human rights conventions when they are told that yes, actually brown people are human.
What will they then do when the Good Friday Agreement and Council of Europe are the roadblocks?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Piss, moan, do it anyway?

Speaking of piss:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1782713997743018184

the entire labour front bench should drown in a var of it

josh04 fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 23, 2024

Debuffed
Dec 19, 2003
I never post

keep punching joe posted:

It's not a deterrent, people will come here regardless. The only benefit will be to people traffikers.

Fun reminder that asylum makes up a tiny percentage of the immigration figures. The rest of the number is fully in the control of the home office, and that's not going to change because we still need people to work in hospitals, old folks homes and farms. And there is no desire to pay those workers an actual livable salary so the industry will always rely on cheap labour from overseas.

can you elaborate on the "asylum makes up a tiny percentage of immigration figures"? I am not doubting you, my question comes from a desire to have some ammunition to use against my tory mum who thinks Suella Braverman said good nice things about stopping the boats and didn't know what Gary Linker was on about, and that uncontrolled immigration is a problem (she reads the Torygraph surprise surprise). She also thinks the NHS should no longer be free at the point of service, but when pressed, has no idea to deal with people who can't afford to pay. I work in NHS finance and this has resulted in some pretty heated discussions between me and her! I think she's a lost cause but it's nice to be able to back up my arguments with facts and logic :)

Anyway I ask because a quick google for "asylum percentage of the immigration figures uk" the top result (which is from The House of Commons Library - so quite probably it's lies) claims "In the year ending June 2023, asylum seekers and refugees made up around 16% of immigrants to the UK" but then the second result (https://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk) does say it's a tiny percentage, and gives some figures but not what the actual current percentage is. It would be good if I could illustrate to her that, as you say, most immigration is down to the home office. As it stands, 16% doesn't sound like a "tiny percentage" but I am sure that figure has been reached using some creative mathematics!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

What will they then do when the Good Friday Agreement and Council of Europe are the roadblocks?

I'm not sure how the GFA is going to have an effect on illegally removing asylum seekers to Rwanda. But in any event, they don't care about what happens after they do it. They'll just do it and if they can't they'll make anyone who says they can't into the enemy. For all their talk of thousand year empires fascists don't really care about long term planning.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
OK just by the government figures, 1.2 million people emigrated to the UK in 2023. Of those 67k made an asylum claim, so like 6%.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

I'm not sure how the GFA is going to have an effect on illegally removing asylum seekers to Rwanda.
It will have an effect on unilaterally withdrawing from the ECHR, which is what they keep implying the long game of this is about.

The Rwanda thing is more about corruption for the politicians and construction companies who built all those houses in Kigali and drumming up endless newspaper headlines while hoping for an ECtHR showdown so that they can go "see, we are being hamstrung by unelected Eurocrats" but then what? A referendum on something that would be an even bigger mess than Brexit?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Starbucks posted:

Hey, buy local, a few A380s lying around. Full economy configuration can hold 840.

A380s nowadays are in demand since air travel picked up again and they aren't making any more of them after they shut down production during covid.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 23, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is actually real

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Private Speech posted:

A380s nowadays are in demand since air travel picked up again and they aren't making any more of them after they shut down production during covid.

Oh cool! Yeah a lot converted over to A350/A320 production but looking at it there are some orders in. no future orders possible which is a shame.

Starbucks fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 23, 2024

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Grey Hunter posted:

It’s only a stopgap measure until the long-term solution of making the entire country a deterrent in and of itself starts to pay off

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Don't remember Rishi et al making all this big fuss over St David's Day?
Walked past a cafe earlier and there were a couple of old blokes sat outside. Another old bloke walked past and said "Happy St George's Day" - one of the seated oldies replied ("Bugger off, I'm Welsh" (in a jovial way) and they all fell about laughing.

Or St Patrick's Day or St Andrews Day come to that? Are they or are they not govt of the whole UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Typical woke Sunak stirring up division.