Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

workplace isn’t for politics ????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

imperial periphery ftw

has there been a more thoroughly cucked nation than japan?

Mr Hootington posted:

Doesn't look like they are doing anything

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1782580010315874600

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Apr 23, 2024

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

yes yes I am also looking forward to the Last Episode of Shogun airing on FX

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Scarabrae posted:

yes yes I am also looking forward to the Last Episode of Shogun airing on FX

I've been genuinely surprised by how good this show has been

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
HSR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up4Oh3TDKOE

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Now I want a The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet adaptation

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Twerk from Home posted:

Beer has been remarkably inflation resistant, a ton of craft brewers are dying though.

You can still get hammered most nights for much less than going out to eat.

if you're getting hammered on beer you're doing it wrong
I mourn for people who can't buy 190 proof grain alcohol in stores

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

shrike82 posted:

we spend 2-3 months a year abroad on vacation, there's been a noticeable uptick in american tourists in places like tokyo and london

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

that losers entire gimmick besides his psycho freak posts calling for genocide of russians etc is pretending everyone is a millionaire like him

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bonelessdongs posted:

if you're getting hammered on beer you're doing it wrong
I mourn for people who can't buy 190 proof grain alcohol in stores

I recently made homemade limoncello. It’s around 30% and very very good.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

SKULL.GIF posted:

Prompted me to read an interesting book about how Japan is fascinated by the "Christian Century" and how much that shapes their pop culture.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Prompted me to read an interesting book about how Japan is fascinated by the "Christian Century" and how much that shapes their pop culture.

There are people that still practice the secret form of Christianity they were doing during the Tokugawa period because it was banned, but after 1869 that ban’s been lifted.

What was the book?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

skooma512 posted:

There are people that still practice the secret form of Christianity they were doing during the Tokugawa period because it was banned, but after 1869 that ban’s been lifted.

What was the book?

Holy Ghosts: The Christian Century in Modern Japanese Fiction

Christians are a tiny minority in Japan, less than one percent of the total population. Yet Christianity is ubiquitous in Japanese popular culture. From the giant mutant "angels" of the Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise to the Jesus-themed cocktails enjoyed by customers in Tokyo's Christon café, Japanese popular culture appropriates Christianity in both humorous and unsettling ways. By treating the Western religion as an exotic cultural practice, Japanese demonstrate the reversibility of cultural stereotypes and force reconsideration of global cultural flows and East-West relations.

Of particular interest is the repeated reappearance in modern fiction of the so-called "Christian century" of Japan (1549-1638), the period between the arrival of the Jesuit missionaries and the last Christian revolt before the final ban on the foreign religion. Literary authors as different as Akutagawa Ryūnosuke, Endō Shūsaku, Yamada Fūtarō, and Takemoto Novala, as well as film directors, manga and anime authors, and videogame producers have all expressed their fascination with the lives and works of Catholic missionaries and Japanese converts and produced imaginative reinterpretations of the period. InHoly Ghosts, Rebecca Suter examines the popularity of the Christian century in modern Japanese fiction and reflects on the role of cross-cultural representations. Since the opening of the ports in the Meiji period, Japan's relationship with Euro-American culture has oscillated between a drive towards Westernization and an antithetical urge to "return to Asia." Exploring the twentieth-century's fascination with the Christian century enables Suter to reflect on modern Japan's complex combination of Orientalism, self-Orientalism, and Occidentalism.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

Now I want a The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet adaptation
wow I forgot i read that, and then I misremembered jm coetzee as its author. it was ok iirc.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

HSR but only to ferry people to the gambling faster.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

wow I forgot i read that, and then I misremembered jm coetzee as its author. it was ok iirc.

Bone Clocks was better but didn't have the historical setting going for it

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I've traveled abroad, or two

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Columbia is shutting down for the rest of the semester

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/CXCarroll/status/1781660111603208462

This person seems to be implying that this is some common practice and just the tip of the... goldberg? of nefarious international money laundering but all I could find is news stories from a year ago about a bust in Nepal.

Anyway if someone wants to (legally) ship me random machine parts made mostly of gold, I won't mind.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I just saw this and feel like it belongs in the OP:

https://twitter.com/neco_161/status/1782357381013217358

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

"Also, we don't consider supporting a genocide to be politics."

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Consolidated Ed posted:

ty

very depressed about this morning's "actually, enslaving innocent persons in the county jail is fine in california" and "homelessness will be a felony in large parts of the US soon" news

every single chud state is gonna go apeshit with the homelessness ruling once it hits in june.
de jure punishing homeless without respect to providing shelters dovetails nicely with just removing the limited shelters altogether

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SlimGoodbody posted:

"Also, we don't consider supporting a genocide to be politics."

Politics is whatever you don't like, everything else is just The Way It Is.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mandel Brotset posted:

Columbia is shutting down for the rest of the semester

I love a good lockdown

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

Also, the R3X looks like an 80s retrofuturist Golf. :swoon:

its like 30% too big but otherwise it looks tight

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/RevinOchave/status/1782662015225631090

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Precambrian Video Games posted:

This person seems to be implying that this is some common practice and just the tip of the... goldberg? of nefarious international money laundering but all I could find is news stories from a year ago about a bust in Nepal.

Anyway if someone wants to (legally) ship me random machine parts made mostly of gold, I won't mind.

i have direct experience with the simple wiring of cash from Chinese front companies on behalf of individuals wanting to move their personal wealth to the US without it looking that way

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

going to ride this oepning day for sure

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
grants pass articles extremely dire.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It isn’t even going to LA originally but Rancho Cucamonga.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ardennes posted:

It isn’t even going to LA originally but Rancho Cucamonga.

yes you can take the "epic" metrolink to it from union station. adds an hour. ftw

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Smythe posted:

yes you can take the "epic" metrolink to it from union station. adds an hour. ftw

Yeah and even then if the time table lines but and then you have to try to take transit back home. That or just drive to Vegas and you will have a car there at the same time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
About time to :gas:

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

About time to :gas:

this aint your livejournal

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
go easy on hoot, fortnite has been offline for a few hours, he is cranky

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A corporate drone on another website (no, not Reddit) responded to the story of Google workers being fired by saying, "Well, they shouldn't have denigrated the company they work for!". I asked what it feels like to have his lips planted firmly on Google's asscheeks and he got pretty mad at that.

I'm fine with Google losing whatever brain trust it has left to continue supporting genocide. Google withering and dying on the vine would be a good thing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 13:24 on Apr 23, 2024

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/philippilk/status/1782409654519128497

petty boug meltdown going to be real ugly in the near future

Is this really true? For example Canada uses the low energy Canadian dollar and living standards for normal people are similar to the US. Uncritically interpreting the average national income as a quality of life indicator for non-rich people when the income distribution is highly unequal also seems misguided.

Don't disagree with the main point that the decline of the petrodollar will likely puncture a lot of America's various bubbles.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

Is this really true? For example Canada uses the low energy Canadian dollar and living standards for normal people are similar to the US. Uncritically interpreting the average national income as a quality of life indicator for non-rich people when the income distribution is highly unequal also seems misguided.

Don't disagree with the main point that the decline of the petrodollar will likely puncture a lot of America's various bubbles.

yes, just like the chart shrike posted last week, you should instead be looking at PPP median household income

even then, you're still only capturing one aspect of QoL. taking a look at Life Expectancy, Childbirth Mortality, Suicide Rates etc, paints a very different picture compared to other wealthy economies

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
PepsiCo's first-quarter results beat as international demand drives growth https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/pepsico-beats-quarterly-revenue-estimates-price-hikes-steady-demand-2024-04-23/

Pepsis strategy of price gouging is working and are successfully squeezing those who are still buying this garbage despite some people actually refraining from buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

wow, you should take 2-3 months off and travel abroad. it's good for your mental health to balance your working and leisure time.

only the very rich do this, the regular wealthy are working from home and just traveling while doing it