Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
total clevin move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Clevin is cool and good

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Al! posted:

what about pupkin

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ominous Jazz posted:

listen; there was a period of time that homestuck

In terms of Something Awful Legends or whatever, Homestuck is interesting because people there would repost update blog notes, kickstarter updates, etc. in a way that has kind of made that thread a vital archive of the comic and its surrounding projects as more of the primary sources go offline, get deleted, or fall off the internet from neglectful indifference.

Weird to think about.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I mean, it was a heavily FLASH reliant comic. it's weird that it's almost impossible to go back to. it's weird that the game was embezzled maybe by the kingsquest guys. it's weird that homestuck 2.0

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

he took his one shot in life, and he succeeded, but you definitely do NOT have to respect it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Leal posted:

My favorite webcomic is the one about a Khajiit in Oblivion and the creator got mad that I was posting it in a webcomic mock thread and threatened to call a lawyer about it

kazerad. guy had issues

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Nuns with Guns posted:

In terms of Something Awful Legends or whatever, Homestuck is interesting because people there would repost update blog notes, kickstarter updates, etc. in a way that has kind of made that thread a vital archive of the comic and its surrounding projects as more of the primary sources go offline, get deleted, or fall off the internet from neglectful indifference.

Weird to think about.

Homestuck took over the forums almost completely and totally every third poster had a homestuck avatar and I’ve just now realized that this is the first I’ve thought about it or heard of it in like 5 years

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Homestuck took over the forums almost completely and totally every third poster had a homestuck avatar and I’ve just now realized that this is the first I’ve thought about it or heard of it in like 5 years

This was a very annoying and weird time if you had no interest in Homestuck because it also coincided with (and was probably largely the result of) the influx of Tumblr expats chasing the Dangan Ronpa LP

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ominous Jazz posted:

I mean, it was a heavily FLASH reliant comic. it's weird that it's almost impossible to go back to. it's weird that the game was embezzled maybe by the kingsquest guys. it's weird that homestuck 2.0

There’s like dueling timelines going around about where the kickstarter money went and how much of the delays were because of money being stolen or Hussie faffing around and being a mercurial weirdo (probably a lot more than they’ll ever admit fault to.) The death of flash didn’t have to doom so much of the website to lovely quality YouTube videos and still image reuploads of the previously interactive elements. Fans have bootstrapped a more “authentic” archive on their own. It’s entirely down to Viz Media not giving a poo poo.

It’s sad seeing so much of the internet decay like that.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Heath posted:

This was a very annoying and weird time if you had no interest in Homestuck because it also coincided with (and was probably largely the result of) the influx of Tumblr expats chasing the Dangan Ronpa LP

Can someone explain, summarize/post the link to the Danganronpa LP because it’s popular enough that a friend brought it up to me and I had no idea what he was talking about?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I had friends in college who were into the Tumblr side of Homestuck and I still found it baffling and annoying.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
homestuck seems like some kind of collective mass insanity for something that doesn't provably exist anymore

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

problem sleuth was better

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Heath posted:

Honestly I’d take the UWU glomp tumblr transplants over the other times we had major offsite magnets like the Star Citizen redditors or the TV Troper expats.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

There’s like dueling timelines going around about where the kickstarter money went and how much of the delays were because of money being stolen or Hussie faffing around and being a mercurial weirdo (probably a lot more than they’ll ever admit fault to.) The death of flash didn’t have to doom so much of the website to lovely quality YouTube videos and still image reuploads of the previously interactive elements. Fans have bootstrapped a more “authentic” archive on their own. It’s entirely down to Viz Media not giving a poo poo.

It’s sad seeing so much of the internet decay like that.
They could probably just embed Ruffle like Newgrounds and the Wayback Machine do and have most, if not all the Flash stuff working again in like a weekend.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Nuns with Guns posted:

Weird to think about.

homestuck is weird and gets extremely dumb but as a Thing That Happened its pretty interesting. there's a podcast called "homestuck made this world" that i actually really enjoyed, both of the hosts are media literacy professors, one who was a big homestuck and one who had never consumed it at all. they were also both goons so they go through SA archives to get a sense of what the reactions are

Ominous Jazz posted:

there's an unofficial archive that has its own chromium build with flash

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

homosuck

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

pentyne posted:

homestuck seems like some kind of collective mass insanity for something that doesn't provably exist anymore

If there is a single webcomic most similar to The Dancing Plague of 1518, it would undoubtedly be Homestuck.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Wasn’t dril one of the homestuck guys?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
tvtropes seems like program-generated nonsense with a language that uses the same alphabet and words as english but is totally different and more stupid

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mr. Nice! posted:

yeah and thats how he got doxxed. the response to the internet to the doxxing when he didnt turn out to be anyone that anyone has ever heard of was "ok?"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

He did some writing for the game, which inadvertently resulted in him getting doxxed somehow. He responded to this by just outright tweeting out his real name, declaring anonymity the realm of perverts and moving on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The Kins posted:

He did some writing for the game, which inadvertently resulted in him getting doxxed somehow. He responded to this by just outright tweeting out his real name, declaring anonymity the realm of perverts and moving on.

👑

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Kins posted:

I really appreciate that no one remembers his name and collectively decided it didn't happen.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

allowing tvtropes to exist has created a new landscape of trope brained readers hunting for tropes, discussing tropes, bonding with others over the ones they love and the ones they hate. trope reveals precede book launches. video essayists discuss them like the building blocks of life

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
dril's name is richard spencer

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

dril's name is richard spencer

The Fallout mod guy?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

pentyne posted:

There's a lot of stuff like this, though. Like you can get snippits of Zybourne Clock or Groverhaus but realistically, you have to have been there.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

I really appreciate that no one remembers his name and collectively decided it didn't happen.

it happened to spider-man. it happened to dril.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Famethrowa posted:

it's not even that, people had all sorts of theories about who he was but he was always just a poster. like who cares that someone's name is Brian or whatever. who gives ashit

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

it's true

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Bicyclops posted:

There's a lot of stuff like this, though. Like you can get snippits of Zybourne Clock or Groverhaus but realistically, you have to have been there.

at least we still have the bathroom.wad thread

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

more falafel please posted:

it's not even that, people had all sorts of theories about who he was but he was always just a poster. like who cares that someone's name is Brian or whatever. who gives ashit

I care if someone's called Brian.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Dril's name is clevin

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Alaois posted:

nobody on earth has a brain prepared to write good fantastic four comics more than ryan north, its crazy its taken this long for it to happen

Nice. Would be A+ if they wrangled Chip Zdarsky to draw.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

more falafel please posted:

no one cared who he was until he put on the mask

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Martman posted:

Dril's name is clevin

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Very few people cared afterwards, too.