Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I have never read homestuck and I never will, and I am certain my life is better off for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Nice. Would be A+ if they wrangled Chip Zdarsky to draw.

chip zdarsky is busy making a batman comic nobody seems to like

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Can someone explain, summarize/post the link to the Danganronpa LP because it’s popular enough that a friend brought it up to me and I had no idea what he was talking about?

Danga Ronpa was a Japanese video game about some kids trapped in a saw game or something that was never brought over to the us. A forums poster started translating it and doing a screenshot lp and since the game is essentially a visual novel like phoenix wright it took to screenshot lp really well. Somehow the screenshot translation really took off on tumblr.

Back then (maybe still now) there was rolling locks on non-member viewing the forums and Lowtax would put up those locks when those big influxes of non-users came for the Dangan Ronpa lp so they would buy accounts (I think they were claiming it was accidental but tumblr believed it was intentional and knowing what we know about lowtax now yeah probably.)

A lot of these tumblr posters were like 15 so they didn’t have a credit card or debit card so they were all really mad when this would happen and it became a huge thing. There was like meme posts on tumblr about the account to view this page banner and such. Some got accounts either because they were actually old enough or they got their parents to buy it. These people were shockingly very bad posters who didn’t fit into the culture of the community well. There was also obviously a huge rash of account sharing.

Everyone would have been better off just letting the tumblr posters look at their Japanese fan translation, the worst posters would have stayed away, some of them would have had good impressions of the website and aged into posters who fit with the culture which would have been good since tumblr posters were mainly young and SA posters were/are mainly… well not lbut lowtax had to have his gold belly money

Eventually dangan Ronpa’s op owners noticed the surge in interest in their game from the west and released an official localization and SA’s brief return to internet relevancy was once again over

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Alaois posted:

chip zdarsky is busy making a batman comic nobody seems to like

That's unfortunate. I really enjoyed the visual gags he put in to sex criminals.
He can draw funny as well as write funny too.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Al! posted:

at least we still have the bathroom.wad thread

Doom bathroom kicked rear end

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Fajita Queen posted:

I have never read homestuck and I never will, and I am certain my life is better off for it.
I wouldn't recommend it, though I still like the music.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
undertale was made by a homestuck contributor as well

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Al! posted:

undertale was made by a homestuck contributor as well

toby fox literally lived in the homestuck guy's basement

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
it rules how much Undertale was primed to be a huge game in a year full of greats

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

cumpantry posted:

allowing tvtropes to exist has created a new landscape of trope brained readers hunting for tropes, discussing tropes, bonding with others over the ones they love and the ones they hate. trope reveals precede book launches. video essayists discuss them like the building blocks of life

The tvtropes mock thread was p funny for the first third of the first one and then descended into a realm of insanity tv tropes could only dream of as I recall

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
You'll read homestuck

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Farg posted:

You'll read homestuck

Nah, don't think I will

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Farg posted:

You'll read homestuck

i did and then the trolls were introduced

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Just listen to One Year Older. It's a lot faster and less regrettable.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

symbolic posted:

i read an unreasonable, probably illegal amount of homestuck on the clock and i remember enjoying homestuck until i learned people were way too into the trolls

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

symbolic posted:

that's about where I should have checked out too, I really liked Problem Sleuth and I think that carried me through further than I normally would have gone lol. I don't remember where I stopped but it was probably pretty early in the grand scheme of things, that poo poo ran forever

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The tvtropes mock thread was p funny for the first third of the first one and then descended into a realm of insanity tv tropes could only dream of as I recall

that is all before my time but i would love some highlights

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

(I mean I love homestuck but, yeah,)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Al! posted:

i read an unreasonable, probably illegal amount of homestuck on the clock and i remember enjoying homestuck until i learned people were way too into the trolls

yeah i never got into the fandom at all so i completely missed 90% of the awful poo poo about homestuck

e: other than the 8000 awful pages of it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

more falafel please posted:

yeah i never got into the fandom at all so i completely missed 90% of the awful poo poo about homestuck

e: other than the 8000 awful pages of it

now that im remembering more clearly what really put me off of the comic is that it became more heavily reliant on 50k word chatlogs instead of comic panels

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Al! posted:

glomping got explicitly banned widespread at conventions primarily because of troll cosplayers doing such to random people and leaving gray body paint everywhere as a result

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

symbolic posted:

glomping got explicitly banned widespread at conventions primarily because of troll cosplayers doing such to random people and leaving gray body paint everywhere as a result

thats why they banned glomping at death metal conventions as well

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Al! posted:

thats why they banned glomping at death metal conventions as well

yeah now they do this at metal shows, way better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t3UZjcv6Fw

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

symbolic posted:

Glomping was banned at conventions long before Homestuck.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
the only thing i know about homestuck is the creator became some sort of rave clown with the name D Clussie

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

what in the hell

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

the only thing i know about homestuck is the creator became some sort of rave clown with the name D Clussie

Respect

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

My name is trollglomper58

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nah, don't think I will

Durrr I don't think the sun will come up tomorrow

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mad Hamish posted:

i have been lied to

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

The only bad juggalo.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

yeah now they do this at metal shows, way better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t3UZjcv6Fw

lol what the hell

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

The only bad juggalo.

no such thing

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

symbolic posted:

I don't have any clue where I read it (probably on these forums somewhere), but I saw a post from someone asking if they could soak in a tub that had permanent marker ink dumped in the water to dye their skin. It might have been hotel staff photographing the aftermath.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The only good webcomic is Tails Gets Trolled.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

the gently caress is glomping

I'm really glad I was Normal in 2010

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

It's slang for "legally distinct from sexual harassment/assault, in my eyes"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This thread convinced me to watch Fallout and I think it's probably Jonathan Nolan's worst in a awhile but it's somehow more enjoyable than Fallout 4? The different storylines do a good job of feeling like jumping to questline to questline and I guess the CG being bad on the power armor sometimes feels like Bethesda physics. Its elevated by its execution, mostly. I guess I'll wait until I've finished it to decide what I think overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

aggressive tackle hug iirc