Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

kalel posted:

what should I go see in the theatre tonight. here's what's playing that doesn't look like crap:

sasquatch sunset

See it. You may love it or you may hate it, but it'll definitely be the weirdest thing you see this year. (And you'll be one of the very few who got to see it on the big screen.)

Also, it's a brisk 90 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Anyone watching XMEN '97? Watched the first 3 episodes last night and I actually liked it, good pacing, interesting story beats, and the animations fun!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

I just can't imagine seeing a film every drat day basically. It shouldn't come as any surprise at this point but the posters are built different

I always thought magic the gathering drafting was something you do a couple times a month on a Friday evening or Saturday afternoon. There are people in the MtG thread who draft more games in a day than I probably will in several years.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Anyone watching XMEN '97? Watched the first 3 episodes last night and I actually liked it, good pacing, interesting story beats, and the animations fun!

Yeah I like it. I think the 4th or 5th episode (you’ll know it when you see it) knocked my socks off.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I'm an adult

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Civil War was good! In a way, more of a story about modern war journalism than a piece of speculative fiction, and not exactly a glowing portrayal of them, either. Amazing sound design, the gunfights reminded me of Heat's and I assume they also used the live audio?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I'm an adult

i feel like i just recently crossed the age simpson threshold wrt whats with it with the kids these days in general but also just a desire to leave kids media behind and waste no time on treating it seriously, because i dont have kids

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

I may get around to watching it eventually, idunno. But the discourse around it online is already reaching peak masturbatory levels and its only a few episodes in.

quote:

The latest episode of Xmen 97 was actually a very clever, complex critique of imperialism and late state capitalism, in this essay I will explain how the strong punch man punching the bad guy is symbolic of the proletariat's struggle against...

Bitch no, if you want to unwind by watching a simple cartoon written for babies fine, but it's not actually designed to convince 8 year olds of whatever your favorite politics is, it's there to sell toys and probably apps or fortnite skins or some poo poo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I watched the Season 3 finale of Bluey that just dropped recently and it is barely even for kids, almost all of it was more tuned towards adults. The kids will watch and enjoy it because their favourite dog friends are there but yeah it was really a story geared for grownups. Very surprising!

RapTrap
Apr 24, 2024

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 24, 2024

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Yo Terry Carter died, everyone

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

poisonpill posted:

Oh word? Thanks for letting us know

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Frank Frank posted:

Oh word? Thanks for letting us know

so say we all

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

priznat posted:

I watched the Season 3 finale of Bluey that just dropped recently and it is barely even for kids, almost all of it was more tuned towards adults. The kids will watch and enjoy it because their favourite dog friends are there but yeah it was really a story geared for grownups. Very surprising!

im not gonna watch your australian anime

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Just got back from Italy, what a disaster. Took my shirt off expecting to be treated like Hercules and some little old Nonna just sighed, shook her head, and said "No, no, no, thats-a, how you say? That's-a busted rear end-a dad-a bod". And now people just keep bringing me swans to gently caress. Very disappointed.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

RapTrap posted:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13342269/Terry-Carter-dead-95-Battlestar-Galactica-star-passes-away.html

Actor Terry Carter who acted in the TV show Battlestar Galactica died at the age of 95.

I remember watching that Combat show as a kid, then watching OG BSG and going "WAIT A MINUTE I KNOW HIM!!". Strangely vivid memory but I think it was the first time I realized that actors could be in different things because I was six.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I have just been informed of tragic news, terry carter from battlestar galactica has passed

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

poisonpill posted:

A president who was ahead of his time.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

dreezy posted:

Oi mate, it's called ozzieme

Show some respect, ya dickhead

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Murdstone posted:

A president who was ahead of his time.

Yeah, President Comacho was. Sad that he's gone :(

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Gutcruncher posted:

Liefeld wasn’t good at drawing, but he specialized in “90s XTREME” and supposedly was a joy to work with, partly cuz he was a nice dude and partly cuz he consistently turned his poo poo in on time.

At least that’s what I’ve read on the internet

Sounds like basically the 90s version of Zack Snyder. Well except for turning stuff in on time maybe.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

dr_rat posted:

Oi mate, it's called ozzieme

Show some respect, ya dickhead

yeah nah

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Bury Farter. RIP

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

dreezy posted:

It’s the best, and only good anime

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

watching bluey with my son, openly weeping that bluey lost his favorite toy, while my wife sticks her head in the oven

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This mf just misgendered Bluey

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Uncle Stripe is definitely a drug smuggler with that fancy rear end house and all the trips to Bali.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I decided to play it safe and saw spiderman 2

there's a moment in the directors commentary of the pixar film the incredibles, during the scene where mr. incredible has to stop a runaway train. brad bird and I think the art director gush about their favorite moment in the sequence, which is after mr incredible positions himself on the track in front of the train. it's not him striking a heroic pose, or the animation of crash or the sound of metal against metal. it's the quick wince mr. incredible gives right before impact, almost imperceptible to the viewer, yet it says so much, something so human about this larger than life character. I think about that conversation a lot when I think about action sequences in comic book films, and especially here for obvious reasons. even in the midst of grand spectacle, it's the little character moments that always matter. how can you express character in a scene where someone is fighting for their life, or the lives of others, without grinding the momentum to a halt? in this respect the train sequence in spiderman 2 is probably my favorite action sequence of any superhero movie, certainly any marvel movie. I haven't liked mcguire's spiderman in the past but his emoting when he has to figure out how to stop the train far surpasses the other spideys. you can feel your arms aching at the end of this scene, it's so powerful. this is to say nothing of the novelty of the fight itself, of how doc and spidey move around the train, how they fight and express character through their fighting. the camera is so dynamic, working to accentuate every movement. gently caress! remember hero moopies you guys?? some of them were good!! poo poo!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmSRMWw8Y_0

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

sorry i meant this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-4no0aMa8k

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

kalel posted:

there's a moment in the directors commentary of the pixar film the incredibles, during the scene where mr. incredible has to stop a runaway train. brad bird and I think the art director gush about their favorite moment in the sequence, which is after mr incredible positions himself on the track in front of the train. it's not him striking a heroic pose, or the animation of crash or the sound of metal against metal. it's the quick wince mr. incredible gives right before impact, almost imperceptible to the viewer, yet it says so much, something so human about this larger than life character. I think about that conversation a lot when I think about action sequences in comic book films, and especially here for obvious reasons. even in the midst of grand spectacle, it's the little character moments that always matter. how can you express character in a scene where someone is fighting for their life, or the lives of others, without grinding the momentum to a halt? in this respect the train sequence in spiderman 2 is probably my favorite action sequence of any superhero movie, certainly any marvel movie. I haven't liked mcguire's spiderman in the past but his emoting when he has to figure out how to stop the train far surpasses the other spideys. you can feel your arms aching at the end of this scene, it's so powerful. this is to say nothing of the novelty of the fight itself, of how doc and spidey move around the train, how they fight and express character through their fighting. the camera is so dynamic, working to accentuate every movement. gently caress! remember hero moopies you guys?? some of them were good!! poo poo!

Yeah but it didn’t lead into another hero’s film hitting theaters later that year so it sucked

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

kalel posted:

yeah. god yeah. one of my favorite watches as a yoingin was disc 2 of the incredibles dvd set. those behind the scenes bonus features were so honest and real. i'll always remember this bit where brad bird mimes a dog pissing and marking its territory over a sculpture of bob

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

i did this and that five for fighting superman song back to back in karaoke once, it was epic

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Pac and Cheese posted:

i did this and that five for fighting superman song back to back in karaoke once, it was epic

Our Lady Peace's "Superman's Dead" would be an even better karaoke option imo

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

priznat posted:

Our Lady Peace's "Superman's Dead" would be an even better karaoke option imo

that would be more fun to sing but i was trying to piss everyone off

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Pac and Cheese posted:

that would be more fun to sing but i was trying to piss everyone off

Our lady peace would also piss everyone off!

Late 90s alt rock was irritating as hell, but at least it had a distinctive sound

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
But there's no elevated train in NYC, immersion ruined *ding*

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dreezy posted:

yeah. god yeah. one of my favorite watches as a yoingin was disc 2 of the incredibles dvd set. those behind the scenes bonus features were so honest and real. i'll always remember this bit where brad bird mimes a dog pissing and marking its territory over a sculpture of bob

bad choice to riff on a post about director's commentaries. bonus features gently caress.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
but i wasnt riffing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Sir Lemming posted:

But there's no elevated train in NYC, immersion ruined *ding*

There used to be! Now it's a delightful walking space.