Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Infidelicious posted:

You can uh just shoot them down?

Like what the gently caress are you bringing to a bots 7 if you can't handle things that die to 1 quasar RR or EAT, 2 AC shots, 4 AMR shots or pointing a laser cannon at it for 2 seconds?

Maybe you're just a lot better than me but I don't think the heavy antitank options fire fast enough to clear out all the gunships. RR especially because the reload will get you killed. I don't even know why you would bring heavy antitank against bots when medium penetration weapons kill pretty much everything they have. It would be the niche case where you really want to shot a tank turret straight on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Can you hurt stratagem jammers from a distance at all

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

fennesz posted:

Public service announcement. Orbital Precision strikes one shot detector towers. Game changer.

500kg does two

BastardySkull posted:

You can bring anything you want, if you drop right next to it and don't have your support weapons down quickly, lose them when poo poo starts to spiral, with the pubbies freaking out and quitting after dying once or twice, you're pretty cooked. Once it launches another wave you're toast and will get ragdolled to all gently caress with the Hellbomb getting destroyed by rockets.

You can be competent as you like, sometimes you're not the guy with an RR, EAT, AC, AMR or Quasar on that particular run.

You should not be dropping without a weapon to deal with gunships on bots period. If you are your loadout sucks and you need to fix that

WarpedLichen posted:

Maybe you're just a lot better than me but I don't think the heavy antitank options fire fast enough to clear out all the gunships. RR especially because the reload will get you killed. I don't even know why you would bring heavy antitank against bots when medium penetration weapons kill pretty much everything they have. It would be the niche case where you really want to shot a tank turret straight on.

Some people swear by quasar on bots. They need people to cover mediums so you’ll likely need a mix of anti heavy and medium weapons.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Laser cannon is, by far, the absolute best weapon to take down gunships. If you can get the drop on a hulk or a tank you can also take them down in like less than 2 seconds if you nail them in the vent.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't even know why you would bring heavy antitank against bots when medium penetration weapons kill pretty much everything they have. It would be the niche case where you really want to shot a tank turret straight on.
Shoot down dropships. I've started bringing EATs with my AC + Airstrike + Rail Cannon so if I see a flare go up I call in EATs and pop a dropship or two, then pick up my AC and go about my business.

Risky Bisquick posted:

You should not be dropping without a weapon to deal with gunships on bots period. If you are your loadout sucks and you need to fix that
Nah.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Double Gunship fabs suck to drop into.

They should be revealed on the map when you ping them.

They suck even more so when you eat multiple volleys on an increased cooldown / call in planet.

More so if there is no cover outside of the spawn radius.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Eruptor is boring and slow, don’t change my mind.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

WarpedLichen posted:

yeah why would we bring antitank weapons to fight the faction that has tanks?

how do people come up with these posts jesus christ lmao

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the rocket weapons actually are better against bugs than bots

Autocannon, Laser Cannon, and Anti-Materiel Rifle can kill everything the bots have except dropships, and killing those is mostly a waste of time

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think the point is more that almost everything the bots field, specifically including tanks and hulks, are literally easier to kill with medium weapons like the autocannon or laser cannon than they are with heavy AT.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Despite having literal tanks the bots need much less antitank weaponry than bugs do, do yeah, it's easy to go overboard on the heavy anti-tank weaponry against bots. AC/laser can handle hulks just fine and tanks are pretty rare and also can be handled by them, though it's harder unless you're with a group who understands how to spread out.

One or two of the RR/EAT/Quasar trio is probably enough to more than enough depending on what your call-in mixup is.

Probably more lethal for the group is not bringing enough ways to rapidly clear devastators swarms.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

ijyt posted:

was i using this gun wrong, i did not notice splash damage significant enough for it to want to take after one mission

It sometimes will kill a group of little bugs entirely, and sometimes only deal little damage. Another cool synergistic thing about Erupter/Laser Dog/Flamethrower/Incendiary build is that damage dealt with Burning and Erupter AoE that isn't enough to kill enemies isn't wasted, as the Laser Dog will mop up those stragglers faster since it deals constant damage. I like having my build be a cool little ecosystem.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Things you can easily kill with a primary weapon or medium support weapon: annihilator tank, shredder tank, hulk

Things you cannot easily kill with a primary weapon or medium support weapon: charger, bile titan

Ravenfood posted:

tanks are pretty rare and also can be handled by them, though it's harder unless you're with a group who understands how to spread out.

That’s the neat part of the scorcher vs. tanks, you don’t even need an exposed weakpoint, you can just splash the weakpoint from the side or top on annihilators or anywhere on the top of the turret for shredders. Hulks still need a weak point shot but stun nades make that real easy.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 24, 2024

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I’m going on a limb here to say the people complaining about and quitting out of games due to gunships and teams that don’t all bring weapons to deal with them have a lot of overlap.

What the gently caress are you even bringing to bots if you can’t shoot down gunships with your loadout? Machine guns? Maybe that is a common strategy on lower difficulties or something but this seems like an easy way to set yourself up for a loss.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Risky Bisquick posted:

I’m going on a limb here to say the people complaining about and quitting out of games due to gunships and teams that don’t all bring weapons to deal with them have a lot of overlap.

What the gently caress are you even bringing to bots if you can’t shoot down gunships with your loadout? Machine guns? Maybe that is a common strategy on lower difficulties or something but this seems like an easy way to set yourself up for a loss.
Before you said "drop" now you're saying "loadout" - which is it? Against bots I pack the Sickle or Scorcher as my Primary (edit: that I rarely, if ever, end up using), neither of which are something that I drop with that will reliably take out a gunship. But my loadout includes an Autocannon, which lets me laugh at Gunships. I have never been on a team that has failcascaded because of gunships.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 24, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

causticBeet posted:

That’s the neat part of the scorcher vs. tanks, you don’t even need an exposed weakpoint, you can just splash the weakpoint from the side or top on annihilators or anywhere on the top of the turret for shredders. Hulks still need a weak point shot but stun nades make that real easy.

I actually didn't know that. Time to start bringing the scorcher again.

Which means the only thing bots field that needs a truly heavy weapon is factory striders.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Does a 500k bomb destroy the detector towers?

Most of the time, yeah.

Email Address
Sep 11, 2004

Don't mess with STAR WARS KID
Yeah, I feel that gunship complaints come from the person with the AC not doing their job.

I run the AC in my group, and we've only had trouble with gunships once and it was because I forgot to pick up the autocannon backpack after I had died.

Otherwise, double gunship towers just mean you get to blow up two things in one go

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

jokes posted:

Only if they have a factory next to them you can blow up with an AC/Eruptor.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
From my experience, it seems like gunships spawn 2 to a tower, and have a pretty slow respawn rate. Ideally, you can spawncamp them with an appropriate support weapon while your friend calls down a hellbomb. If your initial drop is within range of them, that's when they're a nightmare, as they can murder you a lot quicker than you can call down and equip your support weapons. And as with all bots, if they have a bunch of friends with them, they're 1000% harder to deal with.

I think the best way to deal with a lovely drop is to resist calling down backpacks and support weapons, and instead just run for the nearest quiet spot. Dump orbitals or eagle strikes on stuff as you run, play leapfrog with your reinforcement pods, then regroup and take out the most isolated stuff first.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

worst gunship situation i have had to deal with was a tower right by a jammer, and my AC was across the map and on cooldown

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ravenfood posted:

Which means the only thing bots field that needs a truly heavy weapon is factory striders.
less than a full AC mag to a strider's exposed face bits or belly will kill it

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WoodrowSkillson posted:

worst gunship situation i have had to deal with was a tower right by a jammer, and my AC was across the map and on cooldown
Once I saw a holy trinity of jammer + eye of sauron + double gunship factory all within range of each other.

we didnt do many secondaries that mission, for some reason.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ravenfood posted:

Despite having literal tanks the bots need much less antitank weaponry than bugs do, do yeah, it's easy to go overboard on the heavy anti-tank weaponry against bots. AC/laser can handle hulks just fine and tanks are pretty rare and also can be handled by them, though it's harder unless you're with a group who understands how to spread out.

One or two of the RR/EAT/Quasar trio is probably enough to more than enough depending on what your call-in mixup is.

Probably more lethal for the group is not bringing enough ways to rapidly clear devastators swarms.

Yep, my ideal team support weapon loadout is three autocannons plus one RR/Quasar/EAT

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Risky Bisquick posted:

That limb is a well-maintained reinforced concrete bridge.

Risky Bisquick posted:

They need people to cover mediums so you’ll likely need a mix of anti heavy and medium weapons.

Gonna quote this to drive the point home: Helldivers 2 is a team game that is players (as in more than one) versus the environment. Helldivers should be communicating with each other and building their loadouts to cover each other's weaknesses so they can enjoy the game and have the best chance in completing the objectives. A disappointing number of pubbies don't realize these things and end up getting wrecked and quitting midgame on a mission and difficulty that was wholly doable at their level.

Also, despite the "primary" classification given to the biggest weapon we deploy with in the drop pod, in my opinion and experience, these primaries are glorified PDWs. The support weapons you call in and the stratagems are the real killers. It doesn't matter how well someone can handle and position with a Sickle or JAR or Scorcher, they'll never match the damage and efficiency of an Eagle airstrike.

A two-diver team rolling with an autocannon and an HMG, regardless of primaries, will likely struggle against one Charger with an associated swarm, whereas a pair with a Quasar/EAT/RR and an auto/laser cannon will kill that and hunt for the next swarm.

Back each other up, use the right tools, and sometimes it's just better to run away. Goddamn.

ArmyGroup303 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 24, 2024

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

Pretty sure even medium support weapons can kill bigdog if you shoot a panel on the tip of its front or from underneath where it shits out devastators

edit: this vid goes into detail on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quzzf0bfJcQ

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

jokes posted:

Yes, they have a configuration or two where they're connected to a fabricator and destroying the fabricator destroys the jammer as well.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

turn off the TV posted:

Yes, they have a configuration or two where they're connected to a fabricator and destroying the fabricator destroys the jammer as well.

I've been unlucky and haven't seen this for weeks. I always carry a Spear vs bots, sniping fabs and I haven't had this happen in awhile. Wonder if they quietly swapped up the fabricator placement?

I have seen it before, it definitely used to exist at least. Maybe I've just been unlucky recently.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

less than a full AC mag to a strider's exposed face bits or belly will kill it

Well poo poo I need a picture then because I've been trying and mostly getting deflection icons.

novaSphere posted:

Pretty sure even medium support weapons can kill bigdog if you shoot a panel on the tip of its front or from underneath where it shits out devastators

edit: this vid goes into detail on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quzzf0bfJcQ
Nice thanks!

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

My 7/8 success rate went way up for both bots and bugs when I switched to the strategy of “bring shield/quasar if someone has brought AC, else bring AC, constantly harass the team over voice to run away from enemy murderswarms when we die repeatedly.” Occasionally I have to drop the shield and take the AC and backpack dropped by someone who isn’t clearing mediums fast enough, but usually the breaker/breaker incendiary is good enough.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravendas posted:

I've been unlucky and haven't seen this for weeks. I always carry a Spear vs bots, sniping fabs and I haven't had this happen in awhile. Wonder if they quietly swapped up the fabricator placement?
I just saw one yesterday, out of a total of three jammers in that one mission and a fourth we got in a different mission.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 24, 2024

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

the rocket weapons actually are better against bugs than bots

Autocannon, Laser Cannon, and Anti-Materiel Rifle can kill everything the bots have except dropships, and killing those is mostly a waste of time

This is mostly true but you definitely still need some super heavy air support for the occasional factory strider

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Piell posted:

Yep, my ideal team support weapon loadout is three autocannons plus one RR/Quasar/EAT

I quickplayed into this setup last night, except the last guy had the Spear instead of AT and it was glorious :allears:

Just really efficient bot murdering, and we even ran into the dual Sauron towers, one of which was covered by a Jammer.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

novaSphere posted:

Ravenfood posted:

Nice thanks!
That video is a bit out of date, some stuff was missed and also the head is easier to kill now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR4Cd658SD0

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Best strat for the factory dog is to blow up the 2 front machine guns then rush it to get out of range of the top cannon and unload into the belly. Aside from just dropling a laser on it OC.

Even the JAR can penetrate the underside.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Question Time posted:

My 7/8 success rate went way up for both bots and bugs when I switched to the strategy of “bring shield/quasar if someone has brought AC, else bring AC, constantly harass the team over voice to run away from enemy murderswarms when we die repeatedly.” Occasionally I have to drop the shield and take the AC and backpack dropped by someone who isn’t clearing mediums fast enough, but usually the breaker/breaker incendiary is good enough.

Are ... are you me??

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Slyphic posted:

Any jetpack mains have some sage advice on how to make it useful? I've been playing with it this week, and it's just not clicking with me. Can't seem to reliably make it over gorges, barely makes a difference in scaling heights, the only thing I'm really getting out of it is fall arrest and even then I'm flubbing that one some of the time.

1. Always be at a full sprint
2. Jet from high to low ground as much as possible
3. Jetpacking is faster than sprinting
4. Abuse pathing - going from high to low ground in a big bug nest makes the bugs just walk around most of the time
5. Abuse line of sight - if you have chargers and bile titans chasing you, just keep jetting from high to low ground to maximize speed and keep breaking LOS as you do it. Stun grenades help a LOT

If I could somehow cram a jetpack on my back with an autocannon I'd use it against bots too. You kind of get a feel for where the juicy spots in the various objective points of interest are after a while too.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 24, 2024

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

Are ... are you me??

It’s probably just a natural progression of skill, at some point if we keep playing we might get good enough with cover/mobility to be able to do 9s without shields and take ACs all the time like some of the thread regulars talk about.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Bugs are usually pretty easy for me but just had a spicy lvl 8 where the game decided that 99% of spawns will be little bugs all the time. One bug breach would result in a rolling carpet of jumping death, bad time to not bring a gatling/machine gun sentry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Before you said "drop" now you're saying "loadout" - which is it? Against bots I pack the Sickle or Scorcher as my Primary (edit: that I rarely, if ever, end up using), neither of which are something that I drop with that will reliably take out a gunship. But my loadout includes an Autocannon, which lets me laugh at Gunships. I have never been on a team that has failcascaded because of gunships.

It was implied, and my point stands however. You need to deal with what can spawn in the mission, and your cumulative loadout with stratagems needs to reflect that. Bringing a loadout that cannot damage a common enemy that can sink your entire run is crazy.

Sickle is for light bots and to conserve AC ammo when the light bots who can call alarms are dead btw

Question Time posted:

It’s probably just a natural progression of skill, at some point if we keep playing we might get good enough with cover/mobility to be able to do 9s without shields and take ACs all the time like some of the thread regulars talk about.

Bot9 helldive without an AC is agony, you’ll just get flooded with medium bots you struggle to clear between alarms.