Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

What the hell is with the glowing tummy on that second to last costume?
Glowvaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: This game.

Game sounds great all things considered but the costumes made for perverts is a bit much. Thankfully can find other ones to use. Including a giant bear costume, haha.

:catstare: planet diving suit looks like she got her flaps out

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah the demo was weird, either there’s basically nothing to the game or it was put together specifically to show off…. basically nothing.

Yeah it was just "Here's a big empty space with some enemies, go try out a few vehicles out I guess." Weird way to try and sell a game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

unattended spaghetti posted:

drat good post. Hadn't thought of it like that but it's a compelling point and I certainly agree about Square. They've done such an excellent jog exploiting their deep bench of IP over the last bunch of years and have been willing to swing for the fences in a bunch of cases and I really admire it. Like is there another big developer with that genuinely diverse a portfolio these days? I'm sure I'm not accounting for someone in saying no, but it's hard to compare them to anyone else right now. Really reminds me of Square of the late nineties in a lot of ways. I hope the talk about cutting projects is mostly hot air cause they've been on a real solid winning streak lately.

Capcom is the model, they arguably have 3 series (Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and Street Fighter, in that order) that are central to keeping the lights on, and they toy around with everything else. Square is a lot more bloated imo, but yeah, deep bench is the way to put it. I'm convinced even rereleasing something like Chocobo GP was in service to Rebirth on some level. It is also telling that Square is addressing all this while simultaneously experimenting on the retro side (Octopath/Live A Live/Diofield) occasionally with success, and engaging in careful historical preservation (Pixel Remaster/Tactics Ogre Reborn). Both Capcom and Square-Enix have fully emerged from a troubled HD transition period, and both seem to recognize that they can't just bank entirely on confirmed IP. Yes, FF7 and MonHun are mammoth ventures that have relatively little room to trip up, but there's also a pervasive sense from interviews that younger developers entering the company need to be able to spread their wings, work on experimental projects that aren't guaranteed successes and maybe fail a little (Capcom is in heavy experiment mode with Kunitsugami, Exoprimal, Pragmata, and even Dragon's Dogma pushing forward RE Engine tech that will be needed for Resi and MonHun). That sort of 'maybe it fails' model was how Sony ended up with Demon's Souls, after all.

Square-Enix coming out of crisis mode circa 2016 seemed to mend a split in the internal culture that dated back to the corporate merger and some of the old guard project heavyweights departing the company (it can be argued that a well respected Enix employee essentially saving the Final Fantasy series is quite the gesture of solidarity), but it also signaled their willingness to search for outside action game talent from Koei-Tecmo, Bandai-Namco, Capcom, and maybe even the then-flagging Konami. You mention Square's willingness to take risks in the 90s, but I'm convinced that was largely a result of the rapid influx of western publishing resources and marketing (ie EA-Square, Square-EA), because imo the heart of Square's game development culture in the late 90s was outwardly projecting far more confidence in their own technical capabilities than they actually had internally; that is, they seemed predominantly staffed by writers, concept artists, and composer types and were largely unprepared for 3D development. By the time they were showing extensive competence in 3D the industry was preparing a vault into HD and they were caught off guard once more.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 24, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GreenNight posted:

PlayStation 5: I figured it was an n-word issue

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LMAO

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I've been watching Stellar Blade content all day and I'm hard as an R

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Capcom is the model, they arguably have 3 series (Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and Street Fighter, in that order) that are central to keeping the lights on, and they toy around with everything else. Square is a lot more bloated imo, but yeah, deep bench is the way to put it. I'm convinced even rereleasing something like Chocobo GP was in service to Rebirth on some level. It is also telling that Square is addressing all this while simultaneously experimenting on the retro side (Octopath/Live A Live/Diofield) occasionally with success, and engaging in careful historical preservation (Pixel Remaster/Tactics Ogre Reborn). Both Capcom and Square-Enix have fully emerged from a troubled HD transition period, and both seem to recognize that they can't just bank entirely on confirmed IP. Yes, FF7 and MonHun are mammoth ventures that have relatively little room to trip up, but there's also a pervasive sense from interviews that younger developers entering the company need to be able to spread their wings, work on experimental projects that aren't guaranteed successes and maybe fail a little (Capcom is in heavy experiment mode with Kunitsugami, Exoprimal, Pragmata, and even Dragon's Dogma pushing forward RE Engine tech that will be needed for Resi and MonHun). That sort of 'maybe it fails' model was how Sony ended up with Demon's Souls, after all.

Square-Enix coming out of crisis mode circa 2016 seemed to mend a split in the internal culture that dated back to the corporate merger and some of the old guard project heavyweights departing the company (it can be argued that a well respected Enix employee essentially saving the Final Fantasy series is quite the gesture of solidarity), but it also signaled their willingness to search for outside action game talent from Koei-Tecmo, Bandai-Namco, Capcom, and maybe even the then-flagging Konami. You mention Square's willingness to take risks in the 90s, but I'm convinced that was largely a result of the rapid influx of western publishing resources and marketing (ie EA-Square, Square-EA), because imo the heart of Square's game development culture in the late 90s was outwardly projecting far more confidence in their own technical capabilities than they actually had internally; that is, they seemed predominantly staffed by writers, concept artists, and composer types and were largely unprepared for 3D development. By the time they were showing extensive competence in 3D the industry was preparing a vault into HD and they were caught off guard once more.

drat yeah should have thought of capcom. Thanks for reminding me of some of their upcoming stuff. I really wish Monster Hunter would hit for me. Hope maybe the new one finally clicks.

Also drat I wish they'd resurrect Megaman Legends.

And to your preservation point, God drat I bought Valkyrie Profile over a year ago and got distracted. Maybe I'll sandwich that between Rebirth and act III of BG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The big thing stopping more MML is that MML was an infamously terrible selling series, especially for its budget. It was among the most costly Mega Man games to make while selling worse than pretty much any of them. It would probably be cheaper to make now but runs smack-dab into the problem of "Why would we use a development team to make a MML game when we could make almost anything else and do better for it", especially since it was the personal project of a dude who ditched them with a PR disaster and then tried to get them to hire his new company to make the game he started before he ditched.

It does remain endlessly funny that Inafune stacked the court in his favor as hard as he could and then pissed it all away on Mighty No. 9.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: This game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDuiRFC965Q
From FightingCowboy who liked it.

:nws:

:nws:

Game sounds great all things considered but the costumes made for perverts is a bit much. Thankfully can find other ones to use. Including a giant bear costume, haha.

“There’s a lot to dive into..”

“I’ve achieved multiple endings at this point..”

“Plan to jump back in with Hard mode..”

He’s not letting up and this will only add fuel to the fire of public discourse surrounding this game for sinners.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

The sound track is on ANOTHER level and I get to see it performed live in concert.

I hope you get to hear Jenova's theme live, for my money it's the best boss theme in videogaming period, mostly because it represents a perfect synthesis of orchestral and electronic motifs. The variations Hamauzu is putting it through in the Remake trilogy are simply insane, just an incredible level of love and respect for the source material. The opening swell on the Emergent variation reminds me of the Akira soundtrack. It's just such an intense and emotional track that when it starts fully pumping during a fight every strand of hair on my body stands straight up and I verge on heart palpitations. :sweatdrop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zvHLGPpkO0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on-8YaJ3GQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCGmkVtMMAo

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

ImpAtom posted:

The big thing stopping more MML is that MML was an infamously terrible selling series, especially for its budget. It was among the most costly Mega Man games to make while selling worse than pretty much any of them. It would probably be cheaper to make now but runs smack-dab into the problem of "Why would we use a development team to make a MML game when we could make almost anything else and do better for it", especially since it was the personal project of a dude who ditched them with a PR disaster and then tried to get them to hire his new company to make the game he started before he ditched.

predicting how it'd sell because of poor PSX sales 25 years ago really isn't really possible. there was a 21 year gap between BG2 and BG3 and look how that turned out

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

unattended spaghetti posted:

And to your preservation point, God drat I bought Valkyrie Profile over a year ago and got distracted. Maybe I'll sandwich that between Rebirth and act III of BG.

Valkyrie Profile is an all-timer, a very special game. One of the few PSX titles I held onto my physical copy of no matter how financially hosed I was in the last 2 decades.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Both Capcom and Square-Enix have fully emerged from a troubled HD transition period

I've always felt that Capcom was the only japanese publisher that actually came out swinging to the HD era, with MT Framework ready to shoot on day 1, their output on 360/PS3 was crazy!: Dead Rising, Lost Planet, RE5, Dragons Dogma, SF4, etc.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

PacoPepe posted:

I've always felt that Capcom was the only japanese publisher that actually came out swinging to the HD era, with MT Framework ready to shoot on day 1, their output on 360/PS3 was crazy!: Dead Rising, Lost Planet, RE5, Dragons Dogma, SF4, etc.

I think you're largely correct. I happen adore Grin's take on Bionic Commando but the general rejection of it doesn't really reflect so much on Capcom's own development chops. I do think it's worth recognizing that Capcom will probably tread carefully with their big 3 after what happened with Resi 6 and Street Fighter 5 tho.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Wasn’t capcom in a little trouble during that time? I could be misremembering but I think they were pretty close to getting acquired by Microsoft during the 360/ps3 generation. recently you could almost guarantee a capcom game is going to be a hitter though.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Can’t believe I slept through the Hard R Shop.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Goddamn, I love how off the rails the Omega Weapon fight goes in FF16 DLC1, just like fully automatic insane-o-mode

I think the series so often walking the fine line of swords and sorcery X weird extradimensional body horror robots thing is such an integral part of the Final Fantasy thematic DNA that does not get enough credit in terms of how consistently kickass it is, too often overshadowed by the public's love for horse-sized chickens and winged fur marshmallows

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

haveblue posted:

"secondary motion characteristics" is the new term for jiggle physics now

That joke was alright, but Tom’s joke from the demo review was better.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

good sale on

pentiment, hi-fi rush, cocoon, all at least 30% off
monster hunter rise + sunbreak, and iceborne master edition are both 20 bux
PoP lost crown and aliens dark descent 40% off
klonoa 1+2 is 10 bux
all the dark souls stuff is half off, as are sekiro and the old hunters
stuff like stray, pacific drive, jusant, neon white, solar ash, outer wilds are all on sale
nier automata and nier replicant are both 60% off
tactics ogre, valkyrie profile, and octopath are all on sale
FF16 is 50% off

and of course the most controversial title of the month

lady in a leotard with a gun is 24¢

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Yakuza 0-6 are all five bucks each right now.

Also Monhun Stories 1 and 2 just went up for preorder, there's supposed to be a double package coming too though.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I thought she had a blade. Surprised at such a deep sale that fast.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

I thought she had a blade. Surprised at such a deep sale that fast.

go woke go broke

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

dragons dogma 2 kicks rear end. What a delight. I hope if there’s dlc they add some new enemy types to the overworld. It’s goblin city out here.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I am enjoying dragons dogma 2 a lot, but I do remember the original being a lot more difficult. I'm a level 15 thief and in the last 2 play sessions I haven't been hit. Even the big stuff roaming the world and the enemies that only come out at night are a bit of a pushover.
It's still very enjoyable to run around, exploring and popping quests off, I'd just find it a little more tense if I had to do more resource management and use a healing item once in a while. I even kicked a mage out of my party for a laugh - for the last hour I've been a thief with 3 archer pawns which is pretty funny.

Maybe the first was also easy and I was just bad at games then? I remember getting stuck out at nighttime being a genuinely terrifying 'oh poo poo I might not survive this' moment and getting into a scrap with an ogre taking a lot longer.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 25, 2024

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

My gave DD1 another stab just a few weeks ahead of DD2, and yeah I think the first game was a lot more challenging. I think the auto difficulty balancing system they have is a bit busted. One of the more popular PC mods in the dedicated thread just tones it down so you don’t completely steamroll everything after the opening hours.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

dragons dogma 2 kicks rear end. What a delight. I hope if there’s dlc they add some new enemy types to the overworld. It’s goblin city out here.

There were initially loading screen tips for monsters from the first game that aren’t in the second game, so they’re probably saving those for the DLC.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Hell yeah ps2 rules

"This game runs amazingly and works as expected out of the box. It feels like the most complete game we've played recently."

Hell yeah. Guess that's an incredibly low bar to clear nowadays.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/vespidiawasp/status/1783217360582869096

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Bugblatter posted:

I think the auto difficulty balancing system they have is a bit busted.

Oh true is that what’s happening. Hmm. They should tone it down or make the fellers more aggressive or in bigger numbers. The goblins are a bit too fodder-y

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I bounced off the Stellar Blade demo, the combat felt like it had Bop-It syndrome which is like the opposite of what I look for in character action games. But I guess people like that kind of thing, since it's getting pretty good reviews!

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
So whats the scoop, is the big reveal that the weird gross aliens are the true humans and the "humans" are all androids? Like it seemed deadass obvious that was the big twist they were going to go for, a hybrid of Nier 1 and Nier Automata's plots

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 25, 2024

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
5 hours into Eiyuden Chronicle and I am very very contentedly playing this game but as of yet I have nothing really to say about it! It's extremely Suikoden but it hasn't quite hit me in the way I might have expected. Still early tho. Haven't gotten my HQ yet, so perhaps it will hit me then. I need to hear the HQ music. I feel the music may be a bit off. Not bad, but a bit off.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Have they revealed why the android boob girl needs a tiny novelty necktie or was that just a thing they did to signify to the audience that she is not a plumber?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

once you recognize the secret reason for her necktie, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

That necktie is like the least confusing flourish among all of her outfits.

It bothers me too, but I can’t quite figure out why I’m less okay with it than the Automata outfits. I guess maybe Automata was just more consistent with its Victorian goth shtick.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Bop-It syndrome

This is the perfect way of expressing what I dislike about a lot of action game systems. Thank you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think Automata is stylized enough that it all kind of worked and I never questioned it, but in the Stellar Blade demo it kind of felt like """"serious""""" enough sci fi that it had me wonder why she needed a tiny necktie. Like her tits and butt hanging out makes sense maybe from some aerodynamics perspective, but why the tiny necktie? what's that for?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

but why the tiny necktie? what's that for?

there's a susan sontag essay that explains this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh thank god