Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I like having options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
There are some cool smaller emulator-focused handhelds that are making generational leaps in quality yearly.

I’d never buy something bigger than the deck but I’m glad the portable gaming market is taking off and people are getting what they want.

I’m also glad Marcus buys all of them so I can live through him.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Rog Ally is a pretty decent laptop for what I need and its pretty great for gaming and emulating with just using regular rear end windows 11

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Alan_Shore posted:

Is this Steam Deck only chat cos I'm getting my Legion Go Friday and it would be nice to have somewhere to post about it

I love my LeGo! I use it every day and not just for gaming. With the kickstand, it works great as a video/tv/movie screen going under my main monitor while I work.

I recommend joining the Legion Go subreddit if you’re inclined, plenty of performance good tips and troubleshooting if you end up running into weirdness, which you probably will. Have fun!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rolo posted:

There are some cool smaller emulator-focused handhelds that are making generational leaps in quality yearly.

I’d never buy something bigger than the deck but I’m glad the portable gaming market is taking off and people are getting what they want.

I’m also glad Marcus buys all of them so I can live through him.

I've been playing some older emulated games / rom hacks and I'm actually thinking of getting something with a smaller form factor just for it.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Going off on a work trip on Sunday evening until Tuesday evening. My Steam Deck order is quite close in a neighboring country last time the status updated yesterday. I REALLY hope it makes it here by tomorrow. :f5:

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

I looked for honkers railway. That was a mistake

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I am extremely interested in knowing how well the gyro in the Legion Go controllers work for things like Wii and Switch emulation or as general mouse input.

Also I finally tried Spelunky 2 on the Deck and I can't believe it took me this long, it's a perfect Deck game, perfectly crisp and smooth and the one more try factor is absolutely elevated by being portable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WIFEY WATCHDOG posted:

Why get literally anything that’s not a Deck?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I am extremely interested in knowing how well the gyro in the Legion Go controllers work for things like Wii and Switch emulation or as general mouse input.

Also I finally tried Spelunky 2 on the Deck and I can't believe it took me this long, it's a perfect Deck game, perfectly crisp and smooth and the one more try factor is absolutely elevated by being portable.

The vertical mouse thing the Legion has going on seems like a neat party trick. But I wonder how well it works in practice.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I've been playing some older emulated games / rom hacks and I'm actually thinking of getting something with a smaller form factor just for it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937810&perpage=40&pagenumber=250&noseen=1

Also look at SBCgaming on Reddit. These devices refresh every few months but for now you can get something about as small as you’d want that can at least handle PS1, DC and N64.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

WIFEY WATCHDOG posted:

Why get literally anything that’s not a Deck?

I loved the Deck when I used it. The Go is to replace my old laptop and downsize. Now I'll be able to plug it into my monitor to work and edit, then undock it to play games. That's the main reason! Cos I ain't using Linux. Plus it's a more powerful Steam Deck with Bazzite.

Phetz posted:

I love my LeGo! I use it every day and not just for gaming. With the kickstand, it works great as a video/tv/movie screen going under my main monitor while I work.

I recommend joining the Legion Go subreddit if you’re inclined, plenty of performance good tips and troubleshooting if you end up running into weirdness, which you probably will. Have fun!

Good to hear! I've looked there and joined Discord. Hopefully everything will just work :shepicide:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Alan_Shore posted:

I loved the Deck when I used it. The Go is to replace my old laptop and downsize. Now I'll be able to plug it into my monitor to work and edit, then undock it to play games. That's the main reason! Cos I ain't using Linux. Plus it's a more powerful Steam Deck with Bazzite.

Good to hear! I've looked there and joined Discord. Hopefully everything will just work :shepicide:

Funny, using Linux on the deck for the first time ever has me considering changing my PC over from Windows. I didn't expect that but Windows seems to get worse every year.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I know it's not the same thing and MacOS isn't all milk and honey, but moving from Windows to SteamDeck and Mac made computing feel like something other than an utter slog.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 25, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

Funny, using Linux on the deck for the first time ever has me considering changing my PC over from Windows. I didn't expect that but Windows seems to get worse every year.

I dabbled with this and it is unfortunately still not the year of the Linux desktop.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My big problem using Linux on on a PC or laptop has always been wifi drivers. Linux never recognizes my wifi card on a fresh install, not even once over several different computers. I jumped through hoops to get a Linux wrapper for the Windows drivers for my card once, then I decided I'm not going to bother until I can find a Linux distro that can work with whatever's in my machine at the time.

Fortunately the Deck is a prebuilt machine that comes with all the poo poo it needs to run, so my Linux headaches aren't a problem here.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve never had an issue with wifi and I’ve even managed to get various distros to correctly identify my laptop lid close/open bullshit for turning of the screen or going to sleep which is usually the first big hurdle, but I always run into some irritating bullshit issue that I spend a full day googling before deciding to gently caress it off and go back to windows.

My record is like 4 straight days of Linux life before something pisses me off enough to throw it out.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah this is why I went with the Legion Go, it seems like the best of both worlds at the mo

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I know it's not the same thing and MacOS isn't all milk and honey, but moving from Windows to SteamDeck and Mac made computing feel like something other than an utter slog.
Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with any OS but Windows actively hates users more and more with every update. At least MacOS looks and feels pleasant for everyday computer stuff, and the Deck looks and feels pleasant for video games.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with any OS but Windows actively hates users more and more with every update. At least MacOS looks and feels pleasant for everyday computer stuff, and the Deck looks and feels pleasant for video games.

Interesting. Because I feel exactly the opposite, at least about the OS on my iPad.

It's the only OS that's ever felt... condescending? towards me. It's so completely locked down it's ridiculous. Like, even trying to organize my files was basically impossible. I have no idea where my ebooks are actually kept, so I have to import them via Kybook so at least the app knows where they are.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that's not MacOS

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Apple has slowly brought in PC-like features to iOS so it's not quite as worthless at general computing tasks as it used to be. For example, the other day I downloaded a WiFi driver setup .exe on my iPhone, plugged in a USB-C flash drive, and transferred the file over to my Windows laptop.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sharing this guy on reddit playing balatro

https://old.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/1ccb02d/this_is_me_playing_balatro/

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Yeah, It was only mildly annoying when I stopped using Windows on the regular and every time I look it seems like they've done something even more egrigous and/or stupid.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My only real remaining beef with macs is unless you want one to do a small number of very specific tasks, you can get a regular computer with the same performance for like half the price so why the gently caress would I buy one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they look cool

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you can find another laptop that’s as fast as an M3 Pro for half the price, please let me know.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

History Comes Inside! posted:

My only real remaining beef with macs is unless you want one to do a small number of very specific tasks, you can get a regular computer with the same performance for like half the price so why the gently caress would I buy one.

An overwhelming sense of superiority over your fellow man.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

If you can find another laptop that’s as fast as an M3 Pro for half the price, please let me know.

Yeah that’s why I specifically had that line about using them for very specific tasks, because they have their niche uses but that’s it.

For 99% of users it doesn’t even remotely matter that the M3 scores 10 billion points on CPU cruncher 2k24 but an intel chip only scores 8 billion.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s such a shame Apple had an opportunity to implement Vulkan and Proton with Valve’s help but blew them off. It would’ve cracked macOS wide open for gaming.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Gaming while dead

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Do you think he had a friend help him take that picture, or maybe he used a timer and rushed into bed real quick? It was the most Reddit-worthy one of many, I'm sure lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Gaming while dead

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah that’s why I specifically had that line about using them for very specific tasks, because they have their niche uses but that’s it.

For 99% of users it doesn’t even remotely matter that the M3 scores 10 billion points on CPU cruncher 2k24 but an intel chip only scores 8 billion.

At the level of someone who just wants to send emails and brows forums? Maybe do the occasional word doc or spreadsheet? Yeah, you're 100% paying for the OS.

But the thing is that at that price point there's an argument for that, and doubly so if you're getting the computer for a relative who you really don't want to do tech support for. You can get a macbook air for about $1k. Is that really loving expensive compared to the $600 Lenovo you can pick up at Best Buy? Sure is, but for that extra $400 you get an OS that doesn't suck rear end and isn't going to be a huge pain in the rear end. The fact that they'll do basic trouble shooting and tech support at the stores is also huge.

Don't get me wrong, I 100% wish there was a $500 macbook. But if you can afford the difference there is absolutely a use case for not having grandma try to figure out what the gently caress is going on with Windows. Doubly so if phones are involved, holy poo poo it is so much easier to just set up icloud and get grandma's photos of the kids on all her devices than it is to gently caress around with setting poo poo up to get an android syncing with a windows system.

Apple's secret is basically the same as Steam's: They make an appliance that you don't have to gently caress with and tinker with and that your average person who doesn't read tech message boards for fun can make work with minimal to no instruction. The argument for a mac is more or less the same argument for a deck over an Ally or whatever else.

Now, yes, you pay for it. Is that worth what you're paying? Very much open to debate, and I'd argue it depends a lot on the user. Is their profit margin obscene? Absolutely. Are their biggest fans insufferable? Yup.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The M1 airs are $650 - 700 now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

The M1 airs are $650 - 700 now.

I'm just going by the cheapest thing sold directly on their website. I'm sure there are deals from non-Apple retailers clearing out old stock.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm just going by the cheapest thing sold directly on their website. I'm sure there are deals from non-Apple retailers clearing out old stock.

Yeah it’s an Apple / Walmart thing they have.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it’s an Apple / Walmart thing they have.

But yeah, point well taken. If you just need an email machine for memaw hit up Walmart, Best Buy, Costco, etc. and see if you can get last year's model for cheap. Sub-$700 it's a no brainer in my book.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If you find an OS where you don't have to struggle with its bullshit for your use case then hang on for dear life.

Some laptops work great on Linux out of the box, but if that's important then you have to vet them before buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Fallout 4 update is live and, for what it matters, the Steam page has now updated to Deck Verified.