Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

out of morbid curiosity, is a depression "possible" given current beancounting rules?

If the material economy goes down the toilet, people need to live more on debt/credit cards/what have you to survive another day, this debt gest counted as "production" in gdp statistics so it "increases" gdp.

the fact that these numbers aren't good for society is irrelevant if those gdp forecasts are about growth due to indebdedness vs growth in material production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I would sign into my app, and then it would sign me out immediately

When I called, the service guy put me on hold and kept checking in on me until i hung up lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Benagain posted:

look from each according to their ability to each according to their need. the germans might just be better at making it while the anglos are more driven to consume.

a high-sausage diet isn't a great source of fiber though

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

Peltz had a couple of decent points (especially with consolidating Disney's nutso array of streaming operations), but it was mainly people who think Disney's problems came from audiences being turned off by moments of wokeness and not, say, how much money they burned on getting Disney+ off the ground and then stuffing way more Star Wars and Marvel content than the market wanted to consume down consumers' throats.

Mr Hootington posted:

Both.

As bad as Disney is, Iger winning is good.

oh well that Exec Board needs an entire enema then.

take their cancerous bullshit elsewhere please for the love of god so we don't get another WB/Zaslav situation

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

fuckin lmao at these numbers haha

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

inflation thank you

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Acelerion posted:

Hike the rate jay!

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Number is down 700 points right now so everyone make sure to take time out of your shitposting to say your incantations and check your number wards and protections

Good profits to you all

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

But I was assured they’d cut.

I demand justice!

Per economist brain:

They will be “cutting” the eventual rate hike. So we will get a paltry .25% hike instead of the .5% or higher that is really needed. Since it ends up being lower than expected, all the numbers soar. Stock, inflation, shrinkflation, War, everything.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rectal Death Alert posted:

There is a limit to price increases.

shithole box houses stuck to the neighbors with two inches of elbow room in the hallways that are 100+ years old and full of horrible black poo poo inside the walls in my home city of Bristol, in england, a country famous for paying its awful citizens nothing, are selling for £600,000 you are so right

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

loquacius posted:

does that debt disappear?

ah haha ahahahahaha

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Number is down 700 points right now so everyone make sure to take time out of your shitposting to say your incantations and check your number wards and protections

Good profits to you all

How much of this ties directly back to Meta being down like 15% from yesterday’s close?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Orvin posted:

How much of this ties directly back to Meta being down like 15% from yesterday’s close?

between the extremely low gdp growth which is probably 95% military poo poo and inflation thats probably it

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Good profits to you all

700 points would have been catastrophic 15 years ago. love that number is so big now that it barely matters

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I said in September NUMBER, not today!!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

US fertility rate dropped to lowest in a century as births dipped in 2023

lots of interesting news today for empire

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
i’m doing my part (second baby due next week) (that’s it tho, no more)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nybble posted:

Name the baby after NUMBER

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Nybble posted:

congrats

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nybble posted:

NUMBER OF CONGRATULATIONS GO UP

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Nonsense posted:

Name the baby after NUMBER

little baby girl “Jerome S&P500 <last name>”

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

2 bed, 1 bath ~1200 sq. ft. down the street from me just went for barely under $400k and that was most likely to flippers judging by the near instantaneous arrival of building materials all over the lawn.

Very sustainable, awesome, and reasonable

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

Nybble posted:

ew

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Honestly, the currency that really took a bit hit was Yen/Won, most other countries are fairly stable or performing as they usually do. The Euro/Pound are doing better than they did in 2022.

Also, yeah, US growth stalling like that isn't a great sign, we will see if is a trend, but honestly it may just be the result of oil production growth slowing alongside reduced consumer spending.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1783496297925718022

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Why come out and say this ... ?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lol

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

yeah lots of gems today

swinging for the fences

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

haha rip

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

webcams for christ posted:

yeah lots of gems today

swinging for the fences

god drat everything in there is a banger what a complete imbecile

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
aha, see poors, your rent didn't "go up by 15% since last year" it merely "upwardly adjusted to higher levels"

The Upness of Number knows infinite forms, praise be.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

I'm upwardly adjustin but she still risin

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

like at least Mnuchin didn't openly and repeatedly lie to us like this, he just did his evil financial pilfering in the background.

It's so loving insulting that she comes out every single time there's tUrMoiL in the MaRkETs to spew lies and lies and lies.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think she believes it hahah

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

shes yellen aint nobody listenin

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
10 year treasuries jumped up to 4.7%....not great at all. 2 year treasuries at 5% as well.

Not only are they still inverted but it looks like high rates are being locked in for a long time coming.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ardennes posted:

10 year treasuries jumped up to 4.7%....not great at all. 2 year treasuries at 5% as well.

Not only are they still inverted but it looks like high rates are being locked in for a long time coming.

:unsmigghh:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol expect the USD to strengthen even more against most currencies - pretty good time to go on vacation in not just places like Japan/Europe but China/Russia as well - the RMB and RUB is at multi-decade lows against the dollar

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Shame I dont have a few million dollarydoos collecting dust or I could set myself up for life at zero risk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

shrike82 posted:

lol expect the USD to strengthen even more against most currencies - pretty good time to go on vacation in not just places like Japan/Europe but China/Russia as well - the RMB and RUB is at multi-decade lows against the dollar

lots of goons plotting a pilgrimage to the land of anime