Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I always thought Brad Pitt's best was Killing Them Softly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I need to find Space Truckers with Stephen Dorn

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

BlindSite posted:

Unlike most of Kings books the movie has an ending and that's enough for me. loving King and his inability to close a story. motherfucker wasting 5 months of my life with Dark tower.

hilariously the short story ending is they wander the mist for months following a faint radio signal hoping for a better future, the end

also I laughed at this

https://twitter.com/inthesamedevice/status/1783138701201039702

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I always thought Brad Pitt's best was Killing Them Softly.

12 monkeys haha, I love him as a nutball, same with Micheal Keaton

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

The last couple trivia nights I went to were Geeks Who Drink-run. Not a bad system all things considered. Our group has nerds of various flavors, and I sometimes come in clutch with the sports ones. The only blind spot for us is modern pop music.

Same, same. My regular crew are all late 30s to mid 40s so our success basically hinges on whether the music round is current stuff or throwbacks. If I have one complaint it’s that you have to nail the music round or you’re hosed with how their scoring works. Cause it’s one of the ones you can use for double points so if you miss you’re left in the dust. You gotta have someone who loves top 40 to win consistently.

Mostly it’s a night for us dads to get out of the house and have a few drinks and once every couple months we get to dunk on the youths

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
We went to a trivia night in Queenstown, NZ, and it was a little obvious that the program they were using was a US based one with one category of NZ stuff stapled on.

We murdered the rest of the bar in the 70's song titles category, securing the win, despite our egregious lack of knowledge on netball.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Oh I think I'm going to take an edible and watch Showgirls this weekend.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

a sexual elk posted:

Ok what to watch next, I’m still 2 eps behind on Shogun but watching those with the wife so finishing that up this weekend. Mebbe Madmen rewatch, been a few years

Right now I got Prime, Hulu, Max and of course the king TUBI

What are you into? Or in the mood for?

I've been watching Master Chef reruns on Hulu with an occasional Marvel movie mixed in.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

What are you into? Or in the mood for?

I've been watching Master Chef reruns on Hulu with an occasional Marvel movie mixed in.

I MasterChefed into like S4 while buzzed Legoing awhile ago, love it for background TV(Gordon is great for that). Kinda looking for something I can also throw on when the kids napping, but yeah a great suggestion haha

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

I MasterChefed into like S4 while buzzed Legoing awhile ago, love it for background TV(Gordon is great for that). Kinda looking for something I can also throw on when the kids napping, but yeah a great suggestion haha

I like watching great British bake off while I do other hobby things as my background noise.

For actual serious watching I am seconding ross' black sails rec

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Intruder posted:

hilariously the short story ending is they wander the mist for months following a faint radio signal hoping for a better future, the end

also I laughed at this

https://twitter.com/inthesamedevice/status/1783138701201039702

I saw this in the schadenfreude thread and the guy with the cybertruck didn't actually do anything wrong beyond buying the cybertruck in the first place. Someone driving a tractor/ trailer really, really loving sucked at parking. If it was just some dude in a van or god forbid a classic pick-up you would have nothing but sympathy for them. I hadn't seen this angle, I thought the driver missed his door by 3ish feet, but no, there's a loving staircase, so he missed by at least six.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Anyone else been playing Balatro cause I might be a little obsessed?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cooking show fans should watch UK Masterchef and Masterchef Professionals (BBC), the goal is actually to teach them how to be chefs and not just feature Gordon Ramsay playing the Gordon Ramsay character he does for US TV. It's really good for learning how to do cheffy things yourself, too.

BlindSite posted:

Unlike most of Kings books the movie has an ending and that's enough for me. loving King and his inability to close a story. motherfucker wasting 5 months of my life with Dark tower.

You probably should have been clued in Dark Tower was going to be complete dogshit when he introduced the talking monorail. And this is as a King fan who's read almost everything he's written.

There's nothing wrong with the ending to The Stand or the original book version of The Mist. The truly stupid ones are the endings go "IT" and "Under the Dome", and the entirety of "The Regulators", "The Tommyknockers", and "Insomnia".

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

I saw this in the schadenfreude thread and the guy with the cybertruck didn't actually do anything wrong beyond buying the cybertruck in the first place. Someone driving a tractor/ trailer really, really loving sucked at parking. If it was just some dude in a van or god forbid a classic pick-up you would have nothing but sympathy for them. I hadn't seen this angle, I thought the driver missed his door by 3ish feet, but no, there's a loving staircase, so he missed by at least six.

You aren't entirely wrong but parking infront of a loading dock so you don't have to walk quite as far to the office is also incredibly stupid.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I like watching great British bake off while I do other hobby things as my background noise.

For actual serious watching I am seconding ross' black sails rec

Here’s an outta nowhere show or two….Are You Being Served or Fawlty Towers….dad got me hooked on them in the early 90s on PBS

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I live in a major metro and have an apartment.

It’d be fun to do woodworking but it’s not plausible at the moment.

There are woodworking courses and makerspaces but they are generally expensive, limited, and inconvenient for my busy work schedule.

I’d love to make stuff though.

like I mentioned, the minimum for woodworking is a whittling knife and a chunk of wood. You can make a few shavings somewhere and sweep them up.

There's folks in the woodworking thread making projects in their living rooms. You don't need to take a class, either.

there's other hobbies of course I'm not saying you must do this, just, you might be surprised at how little space, tools, mess, and effort is involved at the smallest/basic level. Shavings make less mess on your dining table then actual food does, and using hand tools is less noisy than using kitchen appliances.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

rjmccall posted:

I made a bookcase on my 11th floor balcony in NYC.

I’d like to learn more about your lives experience with this

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Its Rinaldo posted:

Those and injected plastic.

If you post pics I will post positive support

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Hell yeah, Lupin seeds get here Friday, scar em 24 hour soak, in the ground Sunday

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Also picked Boardwalk Empire…again… I’ll finish it this time I swear

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Good luck. It would have been considerably better if they hadn't killed the only interesting character in the entire show after season 2. What a slog

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its so good in the first couple seasons though.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Revenant is on and while Iñárritu makes visually stunning movies, I'm still here thinking "Leo won his Oscar doing this?"

I think it’s partly a testament to how horrible that movie was to film.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

BlindSite posted:

Its so good in the first couple seasons though.

every scene with Michael Stuhlbarg is great, also the guy who plays Al Capone, also actually MICHAEL SHANNON I forgot how much that show ruled. Several of the Michael Shannon scenes are top TV, like the iron

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

FizFashizzle posted:

I think it’s partly a testament to how horrible that movie was to film.

Yeah I looked the movie up on Wikipedia and apparently there was a high turnover in the production crew making it. Those folks were out in Montana (and Argentina) out in the bitter cold to get those shots. Meanwhile Avengers: Age of Ultron's opening fight is on sound stages & it's kinda obvious.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

BlindSite posted:

It's exceptional. I need to get better at "you just need to complete the stake for completionist purposes" versus "ok we are going to the loving moon here let's build the entire deck out of kings of clubs with red seals." gently caress it's a good game.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Catching up on boat chat, in high school I had a friend buy an old Bayliner speedboat and it left us abandoned in the middle of the lake and we had to strip down to our boxers and swim it back in frigid early May water. Then he fixed it and we went back out again a few weeks later and it once again left us abandoned in the middle of the lake. I did not go on his boat again.

Then my sister and her first husband bought an old Bayliner speed boat and guess what? It left us abandoned in the middle of a lake.

Last summer though my GF and I bought ourselves a pair of fishing kayaks and we enjoy taking them out, even if loading/unloading them on top of the car is kind of a PITA. Also hers is a lot nicer than mine and it’s not fair <:mad:>

Also yeah same sister pressured my parents into buying a pop-up RV trailer a few summers ago and then didn’t want anything to do with it because she was a huge POS. My parents were constantly struggling to keep that thing from falling apart for two years before getting rid of it.

Middle-age/dad hobby chat: I have all the usuals like smoking meat and golf but I recently started getting into leather working. It’s fun and relaxing and the stitching is extremely soothing for me. Also you get to buy a bunch of neat new TOOLS!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Last night my insomnia kicked in which led to contemplation at how limited white noise machines are. Sure rain or waterfalls or a gentle fuzzy hiss are all well and good, but have they considered the soothing sounds of my dog idly yet loudly licking himself for 10 minutes are? Anyway, keeping a small notebook by the bed to record late night inspiration is clearly a great idea, highly recommended.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

BlindSite posted:

it's so fun

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Everyone ready for GodKing Trump?

https://x.com/steve_vladeck/status/1783521814758433212

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 25, 2024

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Now apply that same standard to other deterrent crime measures

Oh wait those are for the poor, or black/brown people, not pudding-brained rich dipshits

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Gonna guess that they reject absolute immunity, create some alternative forms of immunity in the process.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Nothing surprises me about the SCOTUS Justice whose goal of overturning Roe v. Wade was driven by, in no small part, his opinions getting roasted by Sandra Day O'Connor 30 years ago.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Thaddius the Large posted:

Last night my insomnia kicked in which led to contemplation at how limited white noise machines are. Sure rain or waterfalls or a gentle fuzzy hiss are all well and good, but have they considered the soothing sounds of my dog idly yet loudly licking himself for 10 minutes are? Anyway, keeping a small notebook by the bed to record late night inspiration is clearly a great idea, highly recommended.

Why bother with the white noise machine when you could've kept your windows open and enjoy the Portland spring rain?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I like to think if I had a million dollars, to say nothing of several billion, I know the mind of active lifestyle I would lead.

that said, maybe id just get hooked to ketamine and pizza rolls.

https://x.com/superloafcat/status/1783507212771402221?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

FizFashizzle posted:

I like to think if I had a million dollars, to say nothing of several billion, I know the mind of active lifestyle I would lead.

that said, maybe id just get hooked to ketamine and pizza rolls.

https://x.com/superloafcat/status/1783507212771402221?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

If he was on the beach a group of marine biologists would be trying to roll him back into the ocean.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He looks like the lovely caricature I'd draw him as.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

If he was on the beach a group of marine biologists would be trying to roll him back into the ocean.

The pants specifically add so much to the whale comparison.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

The pants specifically add so much to the whale comparison.

That is a towel, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

If I was that rich I’d probably be fat as poo poo ngl