Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Eiyuden has lots of little things that are slightly off, like the quest that says it needs an item that drops from a certain enemy actually drops from a different enemy, luckily in the same area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
forspoken is mostly just funny to me because the outcome was square enix folding the team back into se proper, nobody got fired for it. mostly just makes me wonder why they didn't do that earlier when all creative directors at the studio were gone and the project was an obvious inevitable flop

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I've actually seen a fair few other people argue that Forspoken was actually good fairly recently. I'd be curious to see other people's opinion on it, mostly from people who've played it.

I've got too much of a backlog to add something I'm dubious on to my backlog. I still haven't even played the new Yakuza game, I've been too busy playing Oldschool Runescape.

Kind of been meaning to take another stab at Troubleshooters, honestly. I wasn't that far in so I might just restart.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gently caress it bought Forspoken.

I am about to have an insane amount of backlog clearing time. Might buy FF13 for the like 4th goddamn time too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
forspoken had real fun combat and traversal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

combat in forspoken is okay and i can see someone having fun with it. everyone who tells you the dialog isnt bad is a liar however

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
yeah it isn't good. the core story is, fine? but..

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

OddObserver posted:

Yeah, but like 5 ships vs. 5 ships, not thousands of them. It is a space opera, but it's a very different kind of one than LoGH... though very much a game that deserves some attention.

yeah, LoGH has the dumbest ship combat, where there's simultaneously dozens of thousands of ship that can engage each other at an appreciable number of light-minutes but also sit in formation so close that sometimes they crash into each other

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Prism posted:

yeah, LoGH has the dumbest ship combat, where there's simultaneously dozens of thousands of ship that can engage each other at an appreciable number of light-minutes but also sit in formation so close that sometimes they crash into each other

Yes, I agree, Master and Commander was a good book and the rest of the Aubrey-Maturin series were good fun.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm enjoying Eiyuden so far although I haven't really had a chance to get really stuck into it, I'm not sure how I feel about the gimmicks for boss battles.

The game does scratch that Suikoden itch though and, at the end of the day, that's all that really matters.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

I placed it on the backburner for now.
On 33% on last chapter of FF7: Rebirth waiting for the right day to finish it off.
Then gonna boot up Star Ocean: The Divine Force.

Also need a post-it note to remind to get on Yazuka: Infinite Wealth.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Testekill posted:

I'm enjoying Eiyuden so far although I haven't really had a chance to get really stuck into it, I'm not sure how I feel about the gimmicks for boss battles.

The game does scratch that Suikoden itch though and, at the end of the day, that's all that really matters.

Im not a big fan of the gimmicks and even as it gets further they never like, get better. A lot of them have a weird trial and error aspect to them on how they work and thats unfortunate when the penalty for messing them up is "eat a shitload of damage during a boss fight".

I also beat a boss where as far as I can tell the idea was "your backrow fukken dies lmao" or the one in the forest who just counters all attacks so you can beat it either by getting lucky with iado strike or like me just spending turns having everyone block while one character powers up and then deals a giant lump sum of damage every 3 turns.

That said, its impossible for me to rate this game any lower than fine because it has an incredibly lengthy and visually realized base development mechanism and if you want free points out of ol' Barudak thats how you do it.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 26, 2024

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Currently toward the end of the first Seign segment in Eiyuden (on Hard), and... man. When I look past all my nostalgia for Suikoden, I just think it's not a very good game. Every time it does a Suikoden thing, it does it worse.

Returning to areas to pick up recruits! ...but unlike Suikoden, they aren't there at all on the prior visits, so you have no reason to remember and return. (And they do the same thing with recipes. Why did you not give me this recipe last time I was here, tree person. I know I talked to you. Your friend gave me his recipe.) There have been two separate recruits that required 30 minute item farms, plus the whole Beigoma tops minigame. War starts over runes! ...but they never really demonstrate runes as a source of power, and literally only the villain seems to care about the disparity between the rune powers different people get. I think it's maybe mentioned once outside of Dux Aldric dialogue. Plucky youth becomes the leader, but there's a reason all of the Suikoden leads have both a unique magical power AND important family members. The fact no one ever seriously questions or objects to Nowa being in charge makes it feel like they know the in-story justification is weak. And I'm not sure that the castle building tree actually adds anything to the game, especially since you're not making actual choices. You'll eventually build it all anyway.

And while I always had mixed feelings on the spell charge system, the fact you couldn't restore MP in the dungeon meant that they put effort into making the magic worth it when you did use it. Eiyuden Magic isn't even very good at killing random encounters, and the upgraded fire rune I got during Seign's segment allows me to spend 40% of my best mage's MP to do about 3x the damage of a normal hit from my fighters. There are two good mages, and that's entirely on the back of them having a busted heal+buff Hero Combo. The two useful spells so far are "Earth spell that busts armor" and the Water party heal.

I expect I'll finish it simply because it's Suikoden-adjacent, but man, this is a bummer. I wish it was better.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I hope once the army/base building stuff kicks in it will be interesting enough to hold my attention. Because holy crap the conventional RPG aspects of this game are dated as hell and losing my interest rapidly.
I put off buying SaGa because I have this on gamepass and I only subscribe to gamepass when I have something specific I want to play. So getting distracted with SaGa and not returning to Eiyuden until the month is almost up would be counterproductive. But if this game doesn't get interesting soon I'm gonna bounce off it.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 26, 2024

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

drat.. this game is getting serious....

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
natalia is so ftw. drat

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Einander posted:

Currently toward the end of the first Seign segment in Eiyuden (on Hard), and... man. When I look past all my nostalgia for Suikoden, I just think it's not a very good game. Every time it does a Suikoden thing, it does it worse.

I mean, we all wanted Suikoden At Home and this is definitely Suikoden At Home.

I think what went wrong was that everyone got so focused on "being Suikoden" that they failed to make something that could stand on its own. Everything in the game exists in relation to Suikoden to one degree or another, so if you stop and think about it for too long, it all starts to feel hollow as you have to deal with the gnawing realization that you can't go home again. In this case, I think it's healthier to just sit back, turn off the critical parts of your brain, and just lean into the "Yay, more Suikoden!" impulses, because poo poo's depressing enough without ruining a fun game for oneself because some of the mechanics are janky or the plot is pretty flimsy. Maybe if this one is successful, they'll make a sequel where they polish the mechanics and focus more on creating a coherent narrative.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

EclecticTastes posted:

Maybe if this one is successful, they'll make a sequel where they polish the mechanics and focus more on creating a coherent narrative.

Indeed, maybe there will be an Eiyuden II that is so thoroughly excellent that it makes the first one look like a prologue. Nothing would be more Suidoken-esque than that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

would probably be difficult without the creator

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mysticblade posted:

I've actually seen a fair few other people argue that Forspoken was actually good fairly recently. I'd be curious to see other people's opinion on it, mostly from people who've played it.

Like others have said: combat and movement/traversal good, dialogue bad. The story does get interesting eventually.

Einander posted:

Returning to areas to pick up recruits! ...but unlike Suikoden, they aren't there at all on the prior visits, so you have no reason to remember and return. (And they do the same thing with recipes. Why did you not give me this recipe last time I was here, tree person. I know I talked to you. Your friend gave me his recipe.) There have been two separate recruits that required 30 minute item farms, plus the whole Beigoma tops minigame. War starts over runes! ...but they never really demonstrate runes as a source of power, and literally only the villain seems to care about the disparity between the rune powers different people get. I think it's maybe mentioned once outside of Dux Aldric dialogue. Plucky youth becomes the leader, but there's a reason all of the Suikoden leads have both a unique magical power AND important family members. The fact no one ever seriously questions or objects to Nowa being in charge makes it feel like they know the in-story justification is weak. And I'm not sure that the castle building tree actually adds anything to the game, especially since you're not making actual choices. You'll eventually build it all anyway.

And while I always had mixed feelings on the spell charge system, the fact you couldn't restore MP in the dungeon meant that they put effort into making the magic worth it when you did use it. Eiyuden Magic isn't even very good at killing random encounters, and the upgraded fire rune I got during Seign's segment allows me to spend 40% of my best mage's MP to do about 3x the damage of a normal hit from my fighters. There are two good mages, and that's entirely on the back of them having a busted heal+buff Hero Combo. The two useful spells so far are "Earth spell that busts armor" and the Water party heal.

I expect I'll finish it simply because it's Suikoden-adjacent, but man, this is a bummer. I wish it was better.

You can eventually buy items to restore your MP, but I get it. Magic as a source of damage is just terrible.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

EclecticTastes posted:

Infinite Space for the DS, part of Platinum's first big deal with Sega that put them on the map, and sort of the underrated dark horse of the bunch. It's a space opera with a janky-but-interesting battle system that makes it hard to define in terms of genre because there's nothing else quite like it. It feels exactly like playing through one of those long-running epic space opera anime, including having a cast that makes Suikoden look restrained.

EDIT: gently caress, beaten. Still worth a second recommendation, though.

I was insanely bad at combat in it and i'm so loving mad that the only attempt to LP this game got LP Curse'd right after act 2

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Barudak posted:

I think Im gonna buy Forspoken

I think it's the perfect game for you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Speaking of which the backstory to Megaton Musashi is absurdly dark.

99.9% of humanity was brutally murdered and the planet was literally cored out, and the surviving humans all live in a fake town in a space station with their memories erased because they were so horrifyingly traumatized that erasing their memories and letting them live in the town was the only way any of them could continue to function.

Are you playing the game or did you just watch the first episode of the anime? (I wanna know what the game is like).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Prism posted:

Oh so I guess you're an expert on space combat tactics :rolleyes:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Einander posted:

I disagree and I think it is really good actually

I have small nitpicks too but overall I'm very happy with it.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Tequila Bob posted:

Indeed, maybe there will be an Eiyuden II that is so thoroughly excellent that it makes the first one look like a prologue. Nothing would be more Suidoken-esque than that.

Eiyuden II was already announced a few days before the game was out, but who knows how good it'll be.

I have liked Eiyuden Chronicle quite a bit so far, except for some things like offensive magic being basically useless.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SaGa Emerald pretty good so far. Having seafaring adventures with a guy whose adopted dad is a pirate skeleton.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Cyflan posted:

I have liked Eiyuden Chronicle quite a bit so far, except for some things like offensive magic being basically useless.

Yea magic does seem quite weak. That said it doesn't STAY weak and there are ways to make it better.
It feels like they've got a heirarchy where it goes Water - Fire - Earth - Wind and each one is a bit weaker. When I first got Wind stuff it was genuinely quite strong and now my Current (water) Rune is genuinely strong too.

My biggest Eiyuden question is this - why can I go to the resource places and talk to the people and it zooms in as though it's interactable. Then I just get talk and end. What is meant to happen here, how do I collect my resources? Do they go to the resource bin automatically? If they do why zoom in and act like it's some sort of interactable thing? Just really confused by it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Paperhouse posted:

After 11 hours of Eiyuden Chronicle, here are my thoughts

- it is absolutely a Suikoden game
- the translation/localisation is good
- the overall plot so far is pretty by the numbers, but..
- character writing is quite good
- bosses have been fairly interesting and challenging

It's great, and feels like a genuine throwback.

Yeah it owns. I'm not as far as you are but I am enjoying how the boss fights actually require a little bit of thought and strategy what with the gimmicks and actually making use of the defend command. Good game

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I thought the idea of Eiyuden getting a sequel was just IGN reading too heavily into a reddit QA.

There's also the issue of the Unity engine becoming a poisoned chalice in the meantime.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

While offensive magic is pretty awful at single target in Eiyuden having spells that hit the entire enemy field has been useful every now and then for me. I've mostly been using magic for heals and buffs though, yeah... I rely a lot on that full party water heal to keep me topped off during dungeons (random enemies freaking hurt and sometimes you just get most of the party HP annihilated by two bunny archmages doing full party attacks at the same time) so for me the best mage is the guy with the 20% MP discount. Because I'm cheap and I might need those MP healing items later. In general a lot of the balance is kinda weird, probably not helped by my compulsion to give every character a chance to impress me.

I still don't understand the point of the little tree guy. His stats just seem overall turbo garbo without any obvious gimmick to make up for it. Everyone else I can kinda see what they were going for but not him.

Oh and I unlocked the card game and I'm bummed out the beyblades got the big extensive sidequest because I actually really like the card game. It's like a weird poker Marvel Snap.

Oh and I'm far past it now but man that second boss fight in the Proving Grounds actually got me to game over. Twice! The fact that the mage can spam a full party sleep and damage spell if you kill the front liner first was a very mean trick to pull.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 26, 2024

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I beat Reverse Collapse: Codename Bakery, clocking in at 75 hours according to the game (but probably closer to 60 in actuality due to me leaving the game idling while doing other things). The final mission was really tough and I had to reload saves a few times to arrive at victory, but it was a suitably bombastic final chapter for such a long experience.

The game is really good at presenting you with odds that look very stacked against you, and then providing you with a bunch of excellent tools that let you even them, without tipping over into eliminating challenge. I consistently felt like I was dumping big chunks of my resources to win battles by the skin of my teeth. For the final battle I actually had to go back to a mid-mission prep phase save to recycle some items so I would have enough parts to spare for item production in the last combat segment.

As for the story, I really liked it. It does one of my favorite things of telling a very personal story in a wild and interesting setting. Don't feel intimidated by the links with Girls Frontline - this game gets into a bunch of the weirder exotic sci-fi portions of the setting that aren't covered as much in GFL, and I never felt like I needed to go lore-diving to understand anything. If you do feel the need, everything you need is provided by the in-game glossary and lore collectibles.

One final note: reading around online I saw a lot of complaints about the many stealth missions the game throws at you. I can understand the complaints as the game becomes much more of a puzzle game for those missions, but I personally like that sort of thing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The Colonel posted:

forspoken is mostly just funny to me because the outcome was square enix folding the team back into se proper, nobody got fired for it. mostly just makes me wonder why they didn't do that earlier when all creative directors at the studio were gone and the project was an obvious inevitable flop

SE is kinda interesting in that they allow these fringe projects to go ahead and in the end they aren't really looking for big blowout success from any of them. If anything, they're design exercises and even if the game was considered a flop there's valuable lessons and experience gained which can be put toward future projects with a lot less room to fail, such as FF7R-3

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

fridge corn posted:

Yeah it owns. I'm not as far as you are but I am enjoying how the boss fights actually require a little bit of thought and strategy what with the gimmicks and actually making use of the defend command. Good game

I'm 20 hours in and I've not found this.
That said with the last boss I'd gone to a place where enemies were a ton higher level so I was level 36 instead of level 30 and absolutely thrashed it.

Don't get me wrong the fights are fun but Defend seems broken to the point where it doesn't do anything.

HOWEVER Garr has a Rune of Armour and he takes 1 damage from basically everything. It feels like cheating almost how impossible he is to hurt.

My biggest issue with Magic is that it's weirdly slow. What's the fuckin' point of that Earth spell that stuns things if it goes last???

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Einander posted:

You basically summed up my experience. Definitely getting bored with the story's complete lack of stakes.

Taear posted:

My biggest Eiyuden question is this - why can I go to the resource places and talk to the people and it zooms in as though it's interactable. Then I just get talk and end. What is meant to happen here, how do I collect my resources? Do they go to the resource bin automatically? If they do why zoom in and act like it's some sort of interactable thing? Just really confused by it.

The resources are getting collected in the background, you don't need to do anything. The zoom in is presumably so you can get a better look at your farm or whatever. Don't know why you would ever look at it more than once, though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

While the main plot is kinda whatever I'm surprisingly enjoying the character writing. Perielle owns and should've been the main character.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Infinity Gaia posted:

While the main plot is kinda whatever I'm surprisingly enjoying the character writing. Perielle owns and should've been the main character.

Yeah I like the characters for the most part, and I know people were complaining about the voice acting but aside from a few exceptions I've thought most of the performances are pretty good.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

fridge corn posted:

making use of the defend command.

This is honestly underselling it a bit. I was definitely impressed at how much thought went into giving much of the cast their own unique defend commands. Yusuke is a party mainstay because Charge Up is goddamn insane, especially if you use his charge turn tossing a buff on him (not to mention that his unique rune all but guarantees you can get your payoff at least once, unless you get greedy). Using Charge Up made the boss in the Greatwood much easier, since I was triggering the counter only once every three turns.

That said, they're not all winners; Iugo's Taunting Counter is genuinely useless, because the taunt only increases his targeting weight rather than guaranteeing he gets attacked, and he has to dodge the attack, and even then he's not guaranteed to counter (on the other hand Iugo is, stats-wise, this game's Viktor, so he wrecks everything 24/7 with or without a useful defend command).

My only real complaint about the cast is the absolute raw deal Dr. Corque got. Like, I get it, if he could unleash the true power of the spin in battle, the game would be over in just a few minutes, but his stats are really inexcusable, especially since other guys who are normally mediocre benchwarmers (like the resident bandit trio) are actually pretty drat good this time around. He's the first character to be just completely nonviable so far, and it was a real bummer because I was stoked to find out he's a party member.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Taear posted:

I'm 20 hours in and I've not found this.
That said with the last boss I'd gone to a place where enemies were a ton higher level so I was level 36 instead of level 30 and absolutely thrashed it.

Don't get me wrong the fights are fun but Defend seems broken to the point where it doesn't do anything.

HOWEVER Garr has a Rune of Armour and he takes 1 damage from basically everything. It feels like cheating almost how impossible he is to hurt.

My biggest issue with Magic is that it's weirdly slow. What's the fuckin' point of that Earth spell that stuns things if it goes last???

Yeah, again I'm only about 7 hours in having just done the 3 "bandits" boss with the one dude who does the rune attack that hits your front row for like 3/4ths of their health. It was nice to be able to see that attack coming and prepare for it by defending which significantly reduces the damage. Also I had brought along Yusuke who gets a significant attack boost when defending! . I know it doesn't sound like much but I appreciate a tiny bit more thought goes into the combat than just spamming your most powerful attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

EclecticTastes posted:

This is honestly underselling it a bit. I was definitely impressed at how much thought went into giving much of the cast their own unique defend commands. Yusuke is a party mainstay because Charge Up is goddamn insane

Haha, see my above post! Wasn't impressed by Yusuke until I had him in that fight ;)