Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Something I've found hilarious in my current run is loading Gale up with all the gear that procs off cold damage, putting boots that make you immune to prone on your melee characters and then just dropping massive ice AoEs in any tough battle.

I cannot understand why Larian decided to make prone such a devastating condition, it's completely different to how it works in the base D&D rules and once you start taking advantage of it instead of getting hosed over by it, it trivialises a lot of otherwise very difficult fights. I just finished up Shadowheart's personal quest last night and Gale just stood at the top of the stairs with Shadowheart, me and Laezel at the bottom holding Spirit Guardians, and I had Gale just drop ice storms centred on us over and over, and watched as pretty much every enemy in the room tried to close with the party, fell over and lost their turn. Then on the next turn got up, took a step forward, fell over and lost their turn. Meanwhile shadowheart just dashed around the AoE pumping the enemies up with radiant orbs. 20 enemies and the party took functionally no damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So I stalled at Act III and am soon coming back to wrap up. Thinking about the second playthrough. I really don't care about what is strictly optimal. So, with that understood, how is way of elements monk? I know it's considered the weakest of the monk sub classes, but I like the theme. Just curious about people's experiences with it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Put all the scrolls in a bag and keep them on the character that would be using them, or split them up as necessary. Saves space and makes it easier to forget about them until after you could have used it stay organized.

Reveilled posted:

Something I've found hilarious in my current run is loading Gale up with all the gear that procs off cold damage, putting boots that make you immune to prone on your melee characters and then just dropping massive ice AoEs in any tough battle.

I cannot understand why Larian decided to make prone such a devastating condition, it's completely different to how it works in the base D&D rules and once you start taking advantage of it instead of getting hosed over by it, it trivialises a lot of otherwise very difficult fights. I just finished up Shadowheart's personal quest last night and Gale just stood at the top of the stairs with Shadowheart, me and Laezel at the bottom holding Spirit Guardians, and I had Gale just drop ice storms centred on us over and over, and watched as pretty much every enemy in the room tried to close with the party, fell over and lost their turn. Then on the next turn got up, took a step forward, fell over and lost their turn. Meanwhile shadowheart just dashed around the AoE pumping the enemies up with radiant orbs. 20 enemies and the party took functionally no damage.

I did this for awhile with a wizard character and yes, it is hilarious watching everyone fall down the moment they take a turn.

unattended spaghetti posted:

So I stalled at Act III and am soon coming back to wrap up. Thinking about the second playthrough. I really don't care about what is strictly optimal. So, with that understood, how is way of elements monk? I know it's considered the weakest of the monk sub classes, but I like the theme. Just curious about people's experiences with it.

It's a lot better than the tabletop version, and when people say it's weaker than open hand monk keep in mind that open hand monk is one of the most busted op subclasses in the game. I think it gets underused because it's the sort of 'monk as caster' subclass and people usually play a monk to punch things and a caster to cast things so it doesn't really have an audience.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 26, 2024

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Go for it. No need to do the tribunal first or at all.

I ended up doing it as I couldn't figure out how to get past the door. Ended up glad I did cause it was inadvertently very funny.

Fight the big guy, stupidly let all his minions buff him including sanctuary. Bit worried I've hosed it right at the end, then within his first couple of attacks he takes a swing and a miss at Bae'zel, who ripostes, crits, activates paralysing critical which doesn't offer a save, and then fillets him with 6 action surged guaranteed crits.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

tarbrush posted:

I ended up doing it as I couldn't figure out how to get past the door. Ended up glad I did cause it was inadvertently very funny.

Fight the big guy, stupidly let all his minions buff him including sanctuary. Bit worried I've hosed it right at the end, then within his first couple of attacks he takes a swing and a miss at Bae'zel, who ripostes, crits, activates paralysing critical which doesn't offer a save, and then fillets him with 6 action surged guaranteed crits.

Honestly? Letting his minions buff him is probably the smarter move. Each one that dies gives him a better buff. One causes him to heal a bunch every time he attacks, another grants him permanent haste, and another buffs his AC by 6. These are all things that happen when his minions die. I say, let them buff him.

But this is a pretty hilarious outcome.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

BlazetheInferno posted:

Honestly? Letting his minions buff him is probably the smarter move. Each one that dies gives him a better buff. One causes him to heal a bunch every time he attacks, another grants him permanent haste, and another buffs his AC by 6. These are all things that happen when his minions die. I say, let them buff him.

But this is a pretty hilarious outcome.

Oh, yeah, that was why I was worried, I saw the new buffs and started to panic.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Snowy posted:

... but I haven’t even used Gale yet and don’t know which ones I’d have him learn anyway

Power Word: Smarm

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Scrolls are easy enough to come by that you can easily just have him learn all of them.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Just do what I do which is have both useful and useless abilities scattered randomly across your toolbar and then accidentally delete them occasionally so you have no idea what was even there in the first place

This is the way :hai:

Dick Trauma posted:

I'll try to do better with consumables. I've always been terrible with them, "saving" scrolls and potions and throwables basically forever so all they do is waste inventory space.

The is is also the way

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Odd question: I'm at the doorstep of Act II right now, should I cycle back and through all of the stuff in the Underdark, or would that be better saved for a second playthrough some day? I already feel a bit lost in the game's scale, which makes it tempting to just bypass it and go on to Second Questing Zone, but I also don't know if I'm going to be crippled by it or miss huge chunks of

You won’t be crippled by it but I would suggest doing it. The Underdark is HUGE. You are really missing a lot of xp, gold, unique gear etc if you bypass it. It’s also a really great zone with a lot of fun content and cool environments and characters. It’s definitely not just a fun little side quest it’s like 1/3 or more of the content of act 1. For what it’s worth you can come back to it later if you want to peek into act 2. It doesn’t get closed off to you til the “point of no return” at the tail end of act 2.

I do feel you on the sheer scope of the game being overwhelming and exhausting at times though. It big.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The underdark is my favorite part of act 1 and second favorite part of the game (reithwin/moonrise is #1)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I love the Underdark because I discovered it initially by setting a web on fire during the spider matriarch fight and fell into it. I was like WOAH

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Imagine all the player made content that expands the Underdark.

Place is brimming with potential and spores.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Random thought. Any idea what Oath of Paladin Zevlor is? I know for most of the game he has none because of his backstory, but then if you summon him in the finale, he's powered up again. But I either didn't think to look and see if I could figure out which Oath he is, or couldn't figure it out. Are there signs of which one he is, or does he stick to generic Paladin stuff without any features or abilities from any of the specific Oaths?

As an aside, in my first run, Zevlor got the killing blow on The Emperor. I am so goddamn proud of my boy.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

BlazetheInferno posted:

Random thought. Any idea what Oath of Paladin Zevlor is? I know for most of the game he has none because of his backstory, but then if you summon him in the finale, he's powered up again. But I either didn't think to look and see if I could figure out which Oath he is, or couldn't figure it out. Are there signs of which one he is, or does he stick to generic Paladin stuff without any features or abilities from any of the specific Oaths?

As an aside, in my first run, Zevlor got the killing blow on The Emperor. I am so goddamn proud of my boy.

I think he uses Aura of Devotion, which makes him Oath of Devotion. Makes sense with how Zevlor struggles.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Reveilled posted:

I think he uses Aura of Devotion, which makes him Oath of Devotion. Makes sense with how Zevlor struggles.

Realized I had a save I could reload and take another look. I didn't think to look at Auras, I saw like, five different Auras or something so I figured "okay, he's probably just using like, EVERY Aura or something". But, I did see him cast Beacon of Hope - which does confirm Oath of Devotion. Another look confirms you're right about the Aura, too.

Saw the Generic Paladin with him use Misty Step though, which means they're either Ancients or Vengeance. (EDIT: Actually, there's no Aura of Warding, so he's got to be Vengeance. Again... fits for the Hellriders.)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 27, 2024

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

There's at least one other spore druid build, but it's limited by spell slots, 6spored/6necromancer wizard

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
does... does War Priest charge actually work? i took a 2 cleric dip but it's never allowed me to make an extra attack. other class is druid.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

crepeface posted:

does... does War Priest charge actually work? i took a 2 cleric dip but it's never allowed me to make an extra attack. other class is druid.

It definitely works, sometimes arguably too well. Do you have a bonus action available? It'll automatically use the charge and the bonus action if you've got them.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

Oh, also I tried that method to save alfira playing durge where you kill the durge once she visits camp and the next morning he's still dead but so is alfira lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

GHOST_BUTT posted:

It definitely works, sometimes arguably too well. Do you have a bonus action available? It'll automatically use the charge and the bonus action if you've got them.

yeah, i definitely had a Bonus Action.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

Oh, also I tried that method to save alfira playing durge where you kill the durge once she visits camp and the next morning he's still dead but so is alfira lol

I heard you could knock her unconscious before she's supposed to show up at your camp and you'll get a dragonborn lady instead, but I can't speak to the veracity of it.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

I heard you could knock her unconscious before she's supposed to show up at your camp and you'll get a dragonborn lady instead, but I can't speak to the veracity of it.

that's how you save alfira. it works. you don't kill durge.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

just like Alfira has an understudy, so has durge https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/1cdyx0z/ive_never_seen_this_happen/

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

Imagine all the player made content that expands the Underdark.

Place is brimming with potential and spores.

Black-robed edgelords in every corner!

Speaking of edgelords, telling Nere that I don't like his face while surrounded by Duergar was apparently a bad idea.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Reveilled posted:

I cannot understand why Larian decided to make prone such a devastating condition, it's completely different to how it works in the base D&D rules and once you start taking advantage of it instead of getting hosed over by it, it trivialises a lot of otherwise very difficult fights.

If you make enemies prone on top of a Plant Growth they won't have enough movement speed to even get up. It's incredibly nasty.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Lol literally 3 hours after I posted that idea for a dual wield warlock build YouTube recommended me a build guide video for the exact same concept, level breakdown, and gear suggestions. Guess I wasn't the only one who had that idea.

The only difference was instead of the "put your pact weapon in your offhand" trick he just used a main hand pact weapon and the rapier that inherently uses your spellcasting mod as an off-hand weapon.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 27, 2024

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:sickos:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Finished honour mode! Didn't do Cazador, House of Hope or Grief and blew Gale up so the ending felt a bit lovely, but I have the dice. It's amazing how much of a wrench it is letting down these collections of pixels and voices even when you've saved them properly the first two times round.

I'm tempted to only play honour going forward, it really adds something to the game having to accept your fuckups. I saw so much content that I never would have in tactician. The only issue is when you get the odd bug or the game mechanics don't work how you expect, but they're sufficiently rare that you can power through

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

tarbrush posted:

Finished honour mode! Didn't do Cazador, House of Hope or Grief and blew Gale up so the ending felt a bit lovely, but I have the dice. It's amazing how much of a wrench it is letting down these collections of pixels and voices even when you've saved them properly the first two times round.

I'm tempted to only play honour going forward, it really adds something to the game having to accept your fuckups. I saw so much content that I never would have in tactician. The only issue is when you get the odd bug or the game mechanics don't work how you expect, but they're sufficiently rare that you can power through

My current honour mode run is my second time reaching Act 3 and the first time I skipped the house of hope so I didn’t know what to expect from the final fight other than the song. When I got to the fight at the end and saw the layout of that fight I almost had a heart attack! But it ended up being not too difficult—I had Shadowheart drop a massive radiant AoE to soak up all of the cambions’ vengeance all at once (and blood of Lathander ensured she survived on 1HP), Gael dropped them all prone with a big ice AoE, and meanwhile my monk zipped around destroying the pillars in two punches each. Once all that was done, Shadowheart mopped up with spirit guardians and a few stunning strikes and ice spells kept Raphael permanently prone and stunned while I churned through his 666 HP. I was kind of sad I couldn’t save Korilla, but Yurgir just straight up executed her on the very first turn in combat

Oh, and Laezel was there too, I guess. Kind of disappointed in the EK TB throw build I have for her. It’s nice but it just doesn’t hold a candle to my monk’s damage and it doesn’t have any of the control of Shadowheart’s luminous gear or Gale’s ice control. I’m also finding Selune’s Spear of Night to have an infuriatingly buggy hitbox, despite this supposedly being the best in slot weapon for an EK thrower it’s loving impossible to throw in any sort of indoor area because it’s path gets interrupted on stuff that is absolutely not in its path, as evidenced by the same throws being possible with both smaller javelins and larger pikes. I’m not sure why this isn’t brought up by people discussing the weapon because it’s making the thing unusable in practice and I can’t believe nobody’s noticed, unless it’s just a bug I’m having.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The flight trajectory for thrown weapons gets brought up but usually in the context of Karlach, because she has the largest character model and it does mess her up in a few tight spaces, especially if you're feeding her Enlarge and Elixir of the Colossus.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

exquisite tea posted:

The flight trajectory for thrown weapons gets brought up but usually in the context of Karlach, because she has the largest character model and it does mess her up in a few tight spaces, especially if you're feeding her Enlarge and Elixir of the Colossus.

True, but at least I can understand that, it’s annoying but it makes sense at least. Selune’s spear (maybe other spears, I haven’t tested) though is just straight up hosed somehow, I’ll target an enemy and be told that the path is interrupted by a pillar two metres to the right of where I’m throwing, which no other throwing weapon gets caught on if I try throwing that instead. There’s definitely something broken about that spear’s thrown hitbox.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Doesn't Sceleritas kill Alfira himself instead if something like this happens? Or am I misremember/misunderstanding things? But yeah, knocking her out with non-lethal damage before the Long Rest where she shows up does the trick. Quil Grootslang shows up instead.

From what I've seen, it looks like the trigger for Alfira to show up in camp is simply for you to have met and talked to Kahga for the first time, whether or not you've actually found Alfira in the Grove. There is the matter of Camp Night Events stacking up, and figuring out which one's next in the queue... but Alfira seems to have pretty high priority.

EDIT: In regards to the House of Hope stuff... Turns out ol' Raph is very, very vulnerable to Hideous Laughter. If you have a bunch of gear that pumps up your Spell Save DC, you can potentially get it so high that Raph literally can never escape it, even with a Nat 20. I had Bard-starion, who managed to get his DC up to 24, though I don't know how. Earlier in the fight it was 21, so something was inflating his DC mid-fight.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 27, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Isn't Nat 20 an auto success?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Black Noise posted:

Isn't Nat 20 an auto success?

Not for saving throws; only skill checks.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

BlazetheInferno posted:

EDIT: In regards to the House of Hope stuff... Turns out ol' Raph is very, very vulnerable to Hideous Laughter. If you have a bunch of gear that pumps up your Spell Save DC, you can potentially get it so high that Raph literally can never escape it, even with a Nat 20. I had Bard-starion, who managed to get his DC up to 24, though I don't know how. Earlier in the fight it was 21, so something was inflating his DC mid-fight.

this is why control bard is the strongest build in the game: permanent 30+ spell dc means every control spell has 100% chance to land on everything, and you can cast them as a bonus action after your bow attacks.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Reveilled posted:

Gale’s ice control

Is the DC for falling prone on an ice patch based on the spell save DC of the one who created the terrain patch? That’s really nuts. What have you got his DC up to?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I stumbled upon something in the Blighted Village and because I'm nosy I just had to take a peek and oh god no I wish the whole party had been killed and I could just start over like nothing had happened.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

BlazetheInferno posted:

Not for saving throws; only skill checks.

Pathfinder was creeping in :shepface:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

Doesn't Sceleritas kill Alfira himself instead if something like this happens? Or am I misremember/misunderstanding things? But yeah, knocking her out with non-lethal damage before the Long Rest where she shows up does the trick. Quil Grootslang shows up instead.

From what I've seen, it looks like the trigger for Alfira to show up in camp is simply for you to have met and talked to Kahga for the first time, whether or not you've actually found Alfira in the Grove. There is the matter of Camp Night Events stacking up, and figuring out which one's next in the queue... but Alfira seems to have pretty high priority.

Is he wearing the arcane acuity hat? With how many attacks bards get that can really pump up your spell save DC to an insane degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mzbundifund posted:

Is the DC for falling prone on an ice patch based on the spell save DC of the one who created the terrain patch? That’s really nuts. What have you got his DC up to?

Nothing too crazy, I think 19 from +4 proficiency, +5 INT, +1 from his staff and +1 from his robe, which almost any Gale can have from late Act 2 onward. But his Winter's Clutches gloves inflict Encrusted with Frost on all targets in a cold AoE, which applies disadvantage on dexterity saving throws, and the boots of stormy clamor apply 2 charges of reverberation whenever Encrusted with Frost is applied (i.e. to everyone in the AoE, which is a stacking -1 to physical saving throws, which includes Dex. Plus both the gloves and boots are available in Act 1, so the only real limitation early on is getting ways to make your characters not fall over. The Hoarfrost Boots from the Creche and Minthara's Boots of Striding do a good job here, and then late in Act 1 you can pick up the Disintegrating Night Walkers.