Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

turn off the TV posted:

you give cardinal directions in relation to the person you're speaking to

Cardinal directions are North, East, West, South etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I push Q so my character gives cardinal directions for me. :science:

Most people know this, but just in case: if you look directly at the main part of a secondary objective (like the towers for detectors/jammers/radars or the gun for SEAF artillery) and push Q it gets permanently added to the map for everyone.

Except for shrieker nests and gunship fabs because they're kind of broken compared to other secondaries. They also never spawn samples around themselves.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 27, 2024

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Sindai posted:

I push Q so my character gives cardinal directions for me. :science:

Yeah same, anything more complicated (like stop fighting that trash and just hit da bricks) I'll just type in chat.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
Seems the current version of the strategems have issues that will be fixed next week. I wonder what issues the AT Mines have currently? They looked good in the leaked footage, but so did the airburst so... :shrug:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

jokes posted:

Can you hurt stratagem jammers from a distance at all

Aside from popping a fabricator next to it, Walking Barrage has the range to do it... bit iffy with RNG, though.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Not sure if Arrowhead thought this one through. There is absolutely no chance Choohe is getting liberated before Penta (I'd go so far as to say it was NEVER going to happen). Gotta get through Chort first and Chort has 9k players while Penta has 98k.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Am I right in assuming the only Ship Modules that take effect during a drop are the ones upgraded on the hosts ship?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

No, ship modules are player specific.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

AndyElusive posted:

Am I right in assuming the only Ship Modules that take effect during a drop are the ones upgraded on the hosts ship?

nah Ship Modules only apply to yourself and it doesn't matter who is the host

also funny video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evKBLAhBkDM

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Gabrielite posted:

Seems the current version of the strategems have issues that will be fixed next week. I wonder what issues the AT Mines have currently? They looked good in the leaked footage, but so did the airburst so... :shrug:

I love how they just ship it and tell us there's something shiny and new

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Maybe the current version of the AT mines detonates when helldivers and light enemies touch them but the final ones won't.

I have tried the airburst, it's certainly not great on a forested planet. Would probably be fine if the dispersal was more compact and consistent. Looking forward to Tuesday.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Lexorin posted:

Not sure if Arrowhead thought this one through. There is absolutely no chance Choohe is getting liberated before Penta (I'd go so far as to say it was NEVER going to happen). Gotta get through Chort first and Chort has 9k players while Penta has 98k.

when they started the order, neither target planet was available. We had to go through a different planet to get to Penta

So at the starting line, both choices had to take two planets- but yes, people have a heavy disdain for mines, and an even heavier disdain for fire planets

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Even more important CM update: Spear lockon issues were fixed internally 17 days ago so it's probably in the patch too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sindai posted:

Even more important CM update: Spear lockon issues were fixed internally 17 days ago so it's probably in the patch too.

gently caress yeah, Spear rules when it actually works at all

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

BitBasher posted:

Airburst is not Anti Air. This is a bunch of explosives that explodes and are thrown around when they pass in proximity to something. It's not an Anti Air weapon. It's meant to be shot over patrols or walls then it drops a pile of bomblets on the area under where it detonates.

EDIT: Removed a pile of very wrong words.
lol, I thought it was anti-air.

Then I tried using it for its intended purpose and it seems like it's only effective at accidentally killing your teammates from seemingly impossible angles. If you can SEE any of your teammates, you cannot shoot this without probably killing them. I almost had a completed mission fail because one of the pubbies I was with picked the airburst up and didn't know that and started trying to use it during extraction, and sent the entire team ragdolling twice before we all told them to stop shooting.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Prescription Combs posted:

Trip report. Airburst is very great for repeatedly killing yourself even when there's a completely clear path between you and enemies.

I’m genuinely unsure of what its role is. It doesn’t target the airships, it doesn’t have long range, it doesn’t kill heavies. Can’t indirect fire and have it hit tank or hulk weak spots from behind. If you use it as short range you and your team are dead.

It seems like it’s only good for patrols at the exact medium range to not catch yourself in the splash. Stun grenading then air bursting a pack of the chain saw bots was very satisfying.

It definitely dethrones the river or mortar sentry as the accidentals mvp.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Demon_Corsair posted:

I’m genuinely unsure of what its role is. It doesn’t target the airships, it doesn’t have long range, it doesn’t kill heavies. Can’t indirect fire and have it hit tank or hulk weak spots from behind. If you use it as short range you and your team are dead.

It seems like it’s only good for patrols at the exact medium range to not catch yourself in the splash. Stun grenading then air bursting a pack of the chain saw bots was very satisfying.

It definitely dethrones the river or mortar sentry as the accidentals mvp.

Shooting it into the center of a bug nest might be ok. Seems generally ill-suited against bots, even if you catch a patrol of destroyers unaware it generally doesn't do enough to kill them all.

Ran helldives with it for a few hours and only had one or two occasions where it got good value, mostly I just ended up killing myself. Don't think I'd waste a slot on it but getting it for free and being able to insta-clear a site of interest full of strider scouts isn't too bad.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Do people hate the mortar? I've been using it a lot, and it seems to be pretty reliable whenever I whip it out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Do people hate the mortar? I've been using it a lot, and it seems to be pretty reliable whenever I whip it out.

It's great for dropping behind some cover within range of a bot base. It becomes awful if anything ever gets near you.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Its great, but lots of people deploy it in scenarios that result in lots of TKs. It gets terrific results used well though, but I find turret playstyle boring myself.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

I do, because people bring it on bug missions for some ungodly reason and it teamkills like crazy.

Under the right circumstances it's probably fine.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Played around with the air-burst launcher. They need to let you set the proximity detonation to fire front/on/behind the targets. Having it pop before the target makes about 70% of the bomblets not hit anything except you and your team. I never got to try it on flyers, but I really can't see it being great on them either. Plus detonating the rocket at height spreads the bomblets out farther, and at least one of them will head right for you. Since all the bomblets eject at the same speed the general area of destruction is more of a donut shape.

If they'ed give you a timer on when the rocket pops, so it'll explode a bit after the prox alarm triggers so maybe bomblets can hit targets from behind.
OR
Divvy the bomblets into groups by thirds and then each group has a 10/15/20m range so you cover more area.

That said, it is fun to see a patrol on radar and then wing a rocket in the general direction through the fog and getting 10x kills or whatever. Doesn't happen often enough to make it worth it though.

It's great if you are far away from anything and can fire from an elevated position with clear line of sight. So basically never.

you are better off bringing an Eagle Cluster bomb instead.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

One thing the cluster rocket is genuinely good at is deleting a bot drop.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What's the trick to shooting down drop ships? I hit them with the quasar and it drops with all the bots still attached and blows up, but they're all still there (though often stuck in the ship geometry?)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Wait until after the bots drop so some of them die when the ship falls on them.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Bottom Liner posted:

What's the trick to shooting down drop ships? I hit them with the quasar and it drops with all the bots still attached and blows up, but they're all still there (though often stuck in the ship geometry?)

Hit em early hit em' hard.

Recoilless hits engines best of all.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

accept that nothing bigger than a scout strider will die from the crash

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

If you haven’t given it a try yourself yet, the first minute and a half of this video is a perfect example of the average airburst launcher experience.

https://youtu.be/Lh0azGowau4?si=nO4wEz137EE4sddx

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I unironically plan to use AT mines (when they become available) because every time my friends and I do Bugs 9 at some point it can and will spiral into us running from chargers and bile titans while we try to line up a single RR shot. I want to chuck that poo poo and kite big things thru it.

After getting the ship module that adds +1 bomb to eagle runs I've stopped using the 500kg in favor of the regular airstrike. Having that extra bomb makes a huge difference and I'm doing more damage over a larger area. I oneshot a bile titan with it, all of the bombs connected with it and it dropped before it even knew what the gently caress.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Horace Kinch posted:

I unironically plan to use AT mines (when they become available) because every time my friends and I do Bugs 9 at some point it can and will spiral into us running from chargers and bile titans while we try to line up a single RR shot. I want to chuck that poo poo and kite big things thru it.

After getting the ship module that adds +1 bomb to eagle runs I've stopped using the 500kg in favor of the regular airstrike. Having that extra bomb makes a huge difference and I'm doing more damage over a larger area. I oneshot a bile titan with it, all of the bombs connected with it and it dropped before it even knew what the gently caress.

You’re likely better off taking imperfect shots on chargers. It still strips the armor, after which you can shoot them a few times with your primary in the exposed area. Front legs are perfect for this, only takes a few shots from a breaker to finish the job.

I didn’t realize Eagle Airstrike could oneshot Bile Titans. I know it can oneshot factory striders if all bombs connect.

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

Dren posted:

You’re likely better off taking imperfect shots on chargers. It still strips the armor, after which you can shoot them a few times with your primary in the exposed area. Front legs are perfect for this, only takes a few shots from a breaker to finish the job.

I didn’t realize Eagle Airstrike could oneshot Bile Titans. I know it can oneshot factory striders if all bombs connect.

Eagle airstrike is the best strategem against bots - love it

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you have something like a grenade launcher or an eruptor or the crossbow or something with splash damage, instead of aiming for the engines you can shoot up into the belly of a dropship and the splash will kill a lot of the guys before they have a chance to drop.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
EATS vs Autocannon was a hard decision for me but then I got the Scorcher finally and I just take EATS now. The second a commissar gets a flare off I drop EATs and delete the first two dropships that come in. It's pretty nice.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol airburst rocket is comically bad. Definitely would be cool if you could control the detonation somehow but we tried it three times and each time either teammates died or the shooter died or both.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sindai posted:

Wait until after the bots drop so some of them die when the ship falls on them.

ah that does the trick. thanks.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Suffer no automaton to live.

Exterminate them all for managed democracy.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

does anyone know how far the mortars can fire? 100m? 150m?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Kly posted:

does anyone know how far the mortars can fire? 100m? 150m?

Farther than I thought once I started paying attention, my problem is they seemingly target at random from valid targets.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

explosivo posted:

Lol airburst rocket is comically bad. Definitely would be cool if you could control the detonation somehow but we tried it three times and each time either teammates died or the shooter died or both.

Yeah it doesn't seem great. Needs height and good visibility to do much of anything and you can't pair it with a jetpack because of the need for a backpack. Hoping we get AT mines at some point in the future too, limited use as well but likely more viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

It's extremely good at making anyone a team killer