Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can you boot into bios on the deck?

no idea, what's the method and what can I tinker with there that'd help?

edit: trying to boot into bios makes the fan spin up I guess that's useful :v:

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Connect to the tv in desktop mode and check your display settings. I had the same issue once and fixed it there. Sounds like it’s booting fine and just not putting anything on the screen.

I looked at display settings first but I didn't see anything obvious, is there some setting that needs to be changed to make it display on the deck?

disconnecting while it's on and hooked up to the TV also instantly blacked the screen, so it's not displaying properly even even on

edit: tried manually lowering the res, still won't display disconnected

victrix fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

victrix posted:

no idea, what's the method and what can I tinker with there that'd help?

edit: trying to boot into bios makes the fan spin up I guess that's useful :v:

I looked at display settings first but I didn't see anything obvious, is there some setting that needs to be changed to make it display on the deck?

disconnecting while it's on and hooked up to the TV also instantly blacked the screen, so it's not displaying properly even even on

edit: tried manually lowering the res, still won't display disconnected

So when you’re in desktop and look at display settings, does it even see that there’s two monitors - the deck screen and the tv? If not it’s probably crack it open and check connections or RMA time.

If it does then you’ve got some kinda hosed up configuration, and if it’s not turning up easy you might wanna just make the system recovery USB drive and restore it from scratch.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

I have a 500GB LCD. It has both Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk 2077! The rest of the space is for Final Fantasy games and mashing Screenshot! :D

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

alexandriao posted:

The official client is good but you might want to look into Vencord/Vesktop.

Default discord client does not have an implementation of their audio backend for Linux, which results in you being able to stream applications over Discord calls, but not the application audio (so like e.g. when streaming a game it means they don't get to hear your game).

Vesktop solves this problem discretely, also has themeing options and Plugins.

Do you just get the official client from their website or via the discover thing? The most rated discord client in the discover app just seems to have some generic icon as opposed to the discord logo and it says "unknown publisher/developer" or something.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Have the system updates always had names and I’ve never noticed? Or is grey park seagull the first?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

RandolphCarter posted:

Have the system updates always had names and I’ve never noticed? Or is grey park seagull the first?

They're looking for patch names like Master Shake does lyrics.

Stapler on the Desk patch is forthcoming.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Gran Turismo 4 is great after figuring out how to get gas and brake on analog triggers. Normally it was mapped to the right stick, up (gas) and down (brake). It doesn't even show up in the game menu as that, only on the face buttons and I forgot it was like this. I mapped it in the emulator but I'm sure steam input would have been just as easy.

This game had no small part in creating my love of cars (and career goal) that has died in recent years. :allears:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Don't forget the face buttons were an analog input in that game.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Analogue face buttons were such a cool idea but the only games I ever played that really made interesting and useful use of them were MGS 2 and 3 with the holdup stuff.

Tons of games with driving had them for acceleration and braking but that’s not that novel.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GT has also been very committed to face buttons being at least useable as accelerate and brake, it's the default in GT5+6 and even an option you're given on startup in GT7. I don't know anyone who plays 7 like that but it's still a cool thing for people who've gotten fully used to that control scheme over 25+ years of playing GT.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah and face buttons kind of suck being analog anyway IMO. I'm a button mashing neanderthal mostly and having very little travel like that doesn't really give the granularity needed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sony were crazy for analog face buttons

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Analog triggers on the dualsense with haptics and resistance are amazing - Returnal is probably the best showcase for that

You still can't be a monkey and bash butan, but any game that has haptics on PC, I'll plug in the usb cord just for that

(why the gently caress do the haptics need the cord on pc)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Now that I'm slowly setting up my Go, *extremely Shenmue voice* where can I find "Honkers Railway"

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Alan_Shore posted:

Now that I'm slowly setting up my Go, *extremely Shenmue voice* where can I find "Honkers Railway"

If it runs Windows, you don't need the Honkers Railway, a regular ticket will get you there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Since the Fallout 4 update broke mods I don't even have the honkers railroad any more.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Yeah it’s just a regular windows app you can install it from the EGS if you want :shrug:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ah it's just a Genshin Impact clone, lame

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

It's another game from the same company, but a turn-based RPG instead of action adventure.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Alan_Shore posted:

Yeah, no.

I mean it's a gatcha, but:

A. You don't actually need to pay anything, if you save all the gems it gives you for free during the story you can roll for whatever you want when you hit endgame

B. The free characters are actually pretty good

C. It's a turn based RPG with, IMO, much more interesting gameplay than Genshin

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

It still has all the bullshit trappings of a F2P mobile gacha though. It's one of the best of them, but it's still one of them

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

But also your main character is in a space fantasy scenario and primarily fights with a baseball bat.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

njsykora posted:

But also your main character is in a space fantasy scenario and primarily fights with a baseball bat.

Also this.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

njsykora posted:

Can you actually skip cutscenes/dialogue? Biggest complaint about Genshin

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

EVGA Longoria posted:

Can you actually skip cutscenes/dialogue? Biggest complaint about Genshin

Kind of? You can click through to skip dialog, but I think it uses the dialog cutscenes to load something in the background, because after skipping a bit it will stop letting you for a few seconds.

Not sure if you can skip entire scenes because I haven't tried, I actually enjoyed the story so far.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

You cannot skip cutscenes and most dialogue you have to wait for the line to partially load before you can skip it. Some lines you have to wait for a character to finish animating. And boy do these characters take a whollllle lotta words to say very little

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Boar It posted:

Do you just get the official client from their website or via the discover thing? The most rated discord client in the discover app just seems to have some generic icon as opposed to the discord logo and it says "unknown publisher/developer" or something.

https://flathub.org/apps/com.discordapp.Discord

It's built from the official sources and wrapped in Flatpak, and the organisation that does this is Flatpak itself, so it's basically "Do you trust flathub and flatpak"
https://github.com/flathub/com.discordapp.Discord

Also, the alternative client i mentioned is
https://vencord.dev/
https://flathub.org/apps/dev.vencord.Vesktop

e: wrong link lol

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 29, 2024

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Went from leery to Google the thread title to all aboard the honk honk train. Like me some JRPGs in space.

Any idea how the game holds up on mobile? Or, alternatively, if it's definitely worth the bigger-screen experience?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

Went from leery to Google the thread title to all aboard the honk honk train. Like me some JRPGs in space.

Any idea how the game holds up on mobile? Or, alternatively, if it's definitely worth the bigger-screen experience?

It’s turn based so it’s good on mobile. Also you can use the same account on both so you aren’t restricted to one or the other.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

big cummers ONLY posted:

You cannot skip cutscenes and most dialogue you have to wait for the line to partially load before you can skip it. Some lines you have to wait for a character to finish animating. And boy do these characters take a whollllle lotta words to say very little

There’s a PC program that lets you skip through Genshin dialogue out there somewhere, but I haven’t tried it. It did something else I think about closing the map by re-pressing the map key, and that’s why I started looking at it.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

Alan_Shore posted:

My Legion Go just arrived and it is loving massive. I love it haha. Whether it's comfortable remains to be seen (but tonight I'll probably detach the joy cons and play with it on my little bed table like I did with my Deck, or use an Xbox controller)

I love my Go. It's my game or do light tablet stuff in bed. But it also exacerbated my carpal tunnel quickly. No joke. I noticed my hand was dead after playing it for awhile for multiple nights in a row for weeks. Now I'm having surgery.

Tldr, be careful how you hold your deck (or Go) at night.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My stupid laptop died on a very important work day (don't buy a Razer laptop...) and my Deck has saved the day with its desktop mode.

Goddamn I love this thing.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Necrothatcher posted:

My stupid laptop died on a very important work day (don't buy a Razer laptop...) and my Deck has saved the day with its desktop mode.

Goddamn I love this thing.

I imagine myself in these scenarios daily as I work from home 99% of the year.

Though I did pay a highway toll once with my Deck when the phone website made it impossible to complete the transaction.

Feels good to be the Good Guy with a Deck in these situations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Goons, what is a good slimline travel case for the Deck? I'm searching Amazon and it's being incredibly unhelpful, it's either chunky boys or shells that don't cover the entire Deck.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The Tomtoc hard shell is pretty good and solid while still being slim, but it does have a small gap for you to plug in a charger so it isn't entirely covered - it might be a positive for you though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah that's fine as long as it's an actual case, almost all the ones I'm getting results for are just shells that leave a lot exposed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are you a bad enough dude to log into the DOT website using your Steam Deck?

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently Microsoft is sending out a survey about handheld consoles and why people use certain ones. Now, they send these kinds of surveys out all the time, but to be honest, I find the idea of a locked down handheld kinda crappy these days. MS would be better suited to getting Game Pass running natively on Steam Deck than putting out their own handheld if that's the case.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Microsoft would rather continue to push the Windows handhelds while saying they're going to make using Windows on these handhelds less nightmarish any day now as soon as they can convince the Windows team to drop their 20 year old grudge against the Xbox division. The rumours about them effectively making a handheld Xbox Series S are very funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

After getting used to the Deck, the idea of a locked down ad-fuelled Windows handheld sounds abhorrent, just as an even more locked down Apple one would. Valve somehow stumbled on a near-perfect balance of openness for a mass-market product. You can pick it up And It Just Works for playing steam games on the go and that's still pretty magical in itself, people are still amazed to see it in action for the first time. You can also tinker with it and get almost anything to run if you really want it to, and someone probably already has, because the hardware is identical between devices. Linux actually works because there's none of the bullshit hardware conflicts and stuff that make it a nightmare for regular people to figure out.

Thinking about it, a series of laptops and desktops running efficient standard hardware like Macs but with open software OS based on some flavour of Linux might actually be the sweet spot of contemporary computing, zero bullshit with maximum usability. SteamTop when Gaben?