Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

redshirt posted:

"The Asgard would never invent a weapon that propels small weights of iron and carbon alloys, by igniting a powder of potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulfur."

This has always been a great line but it can't help but make me curious about what the Asgard's society looked like when they were at our contemporary tech level. Did they just skip past the gunpowder part of the tech tree? Did their homeworld have radically different raw materials that caused their society to evolve in different ways? Was their society created in its current form by some kind of AyyLamo progenitor species?

I HAVE QUESTIONS, DAMNIT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sardonik posted:

This has always been a great line but it can't help but make me curious about what the Asgard's society looked like when they were at our contemporary tech level. Did they just skip past the gunpowder part of the tech tree? Did their homeworld have radically different raw materials that caused their society to evolve in different ways? Was their society created in its current form by some kind of AyyLamo progenitor species?

the Asgard were like that Harry Turtledove short story where alien conquistadors get wrecked by the US Army because they found making FTL so easy they invented it when they were still using swords and never developed things like internal combustion engines or gunpowder.

The Asgard just did that with a ton of other no-way out there tech as well.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sardonik posted:

By the time we meet the Asgard, they are already well into terminal decline, just based on cloning. They are all clones at that point, clones of clones of clones of clones, etc.

The Replicators were finishing them off, but they were already done because of the cloning.

So that part of Asgard society - guns and bullets - might have been 10, 20, 100 thousand years in their past.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Cthulu Carl posted:

the Asgard were like that Harry Turtledove short story where alien conquistadors get wrecked by the US Army because they found making FTL so easy they invented it when they were still using swords and never developed things like internal combustion engines or gunpowder.
And the Goa'uld just stole tech from who knows where and occasionally iterated on it, skipping all the steps that might have otherwise gotten them there.

At least in the Stargate universe, the simple tech thing we missed was apparently crystals all along.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Cthulu Carl posted:

The Asgard just did that with a ton of other no-way out there tech as well.

Now this would be a rad explanation.

redshirt posted:

By the time we meet the Asgard, they are already well into terminal decline, just based on cloning. They are all clones at that point, clones of clones of clones of clones, etc.

The Replicators were finishing them off, but they were already done because of the cloning.

So that part of Asgard society - guns and bullets - might have been 10, 20, 100 thousand years in their past.

This would make sense but it would be sad if the Asgard had lost that much of their own history. Guess that is part of being a stellaris-style fallen empire.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

stringless posted:

And the Goa'uld just stole tech from who knows where and occasionally iterated on it, skipping all the steps that might have otherwise gotten them there.

At least in the Stargate universe, the simple tech thing we missed was apparently crystals all along.

And humans just stole tech to create the X302 and X303.

Get a new slant.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

stringless posted:

Tbf we do use crystals in every single computerized device, they're just used for timing instead of power

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sardonik posted:

they had a big dude with a hammer, who once drank so much the sea level receded

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

Tbf we do use crystals in every single computerized device, they're just used for timing instead of power

And really small

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
I remember making a crystal radio with my dad when I was a kid, the sheer gravity with which I inserted the crystal. Crystals were the keys to stargates, lightsabers, Xel'Naga temples...

I was so excited when we finally turned it on... but instead of secret transmissions from spy cells and aliens, the first thing we heard on it was Christina Aguilera

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nameless_Steve posted:

I remember making a crystal radio with my dad when I was a kid, the sheer gravity with which I inserted the crystal. Crystals were the keys to stargates, lightsabers, Xel'Naga temples...

I was so excited when we finally turned it on... but instead of secret transmissions from spy cells and aliens, the first thing we heard on it was Christina Aguilera

lol remember those low riding jeans??

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

More spoilers for SGA season 4:

Holy poo poo this one episode they fire like all their space battle shots at once.

Mackay comes up with a way to finally defeat the Pegasus Galaxy Replicators.
And with the help of Todd the Wraith, they get 7 hives to join in a group attack with Apollo and Daedalus, and just seeing both those ships together was like...............

And that space battle as the Replicators link up and sink into the center of the planet...

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nameless_Steve posted:

she better switch me chairs

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Keenan and Kel'No'Ream

Keenan: Kel! I've got it! We sue the tollans for their technology! They almost got me blended!
(Later)
Nox: After hearing both sides of this issue I believe I am ready to cast my vote in favor of Keenan, and that he must be compensated with technology in exchange for his trauma from nearly becoming a host
Keenan: Yes! We're going to win!
Tollan chancellor: Is there anything else your archon wishes to add?
Kel: I...
Keenan: No Kel, don't do it!
Kel: I... Dropped the Goa'uld! In the tuna!
Keenan: Awww here it goes!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Also that sexy lady captain and her ships too.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Nameless_Steve posted:

"I can't understand all of it but I think the aliens are led by someone named Lady Marmalade."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

"I can't understand all of it but I think the aliens are led by someone named Lady Marmalade."

Garshaw of Belote

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Stargate:Replicators:License to Blast

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

redshirt posted:

"Jaaack"

*eats hotdog

Do you think Asgard have teeth and chew or do they just swallow hotdogs down whole like a duck?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Do you think Asgard have teeth and chew or do they just swallow hotdogs down whole like a duck?

Thor likes the yellow cube

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

their food looks to have the texture of a scrabble tile so I presume they have a coarse, rough gullet to break food down.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
A super intelligent society that lives solely off of Starbust and Mike and Ikes. I knew a few people in college like that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SGU is great if you wanted a series where they never go through the stargate and everyone hates each other

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Owl at Home posted:

A super intelligent society that lives solely off of Starbust and Mike and Ikes. I knew a few people in college like that.

They look more like painted wooden scrap blocks you give to a kid to play with. I really wouldn't be surprised if someone just had them in their car for their kid and was like "will this work?" When they realized they didn't have a prop or whatever.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

SGU is great if you wanted a series where they never go through the stargate and everyone hates each other

Yo Dawg, I was gonna tap that rear end

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

well why not posted:

Have you thought about how exactly consent works with body swapping stones?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

And dudes on Craigslist have known about the power of crystals for years.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

pixaal posted:

They look more like painted wooden scrap blocks you give to a kid to play with. I really wouldn't be surprised if someone just had them in their car for their kid and was like "will this work?" When they realized they didn't have a prop or whatever.

Now that you mention it, I think the rectangular blue one is literally just an eraser

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Oh my go Thor I can’t believe you got her to eat that

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
SG1 is on bluray now? When did this happen?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

tango alpha delta posted:

SG1 is on bluray now? When did this happen?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Stargate-SG-1-Complete-Blu-ray/dp/B096Q53ZWN

2020, according to Amazon/some other site I saw

And that box is the biggest gently caress you to Michael Shanks ever

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ben and Claudia too. they were in more eps than Corin

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

200 is a genius episode for so many reasons, and one of them is how hard they smoke Shanks.

The "after episode" interviews with the cast of Wormhole X-Treme, and the Daniel stand in.... just hilarious.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Owl at Home posted:

Now that you mention it, I think the rectangular blue one is literally just an eraser

If you're not gonna eat that d8 can I have it

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

pixaal posted:

Have you thought about how exactly consent works with body swapping stones?

yeah and it made me sad

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I like the blue one.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Owl at Home posted:

Hungry now

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Owl at Home posted:

The way it crumbles in Carter's mouth makes it seem like styrofoam

edit: do you think anyone has walked through the stargate but while the iris is still retracting, cutting off their legs and/or head, depending on height - leaving just a torso on the ramp
maybe they should be trained to dive through the middle, just in case

KajiTheMelonMan fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 30, 2024

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

look at these cool motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*