Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kin posted:

Maybe it's because I'm a solid Millennial, but while I'm fond of the 00s for when I went to Uni and started living my life independently, etc, I kinda feel like the 80s or 90s were the best decade.

When I think back on it, it's because there always seemed like there was something new coming out, either in music trends, media or technology, etc but things were also a bit simpler so those changes felt all the more wonderful.

When I think of the 00s, I just think of smart phones, the start of samey music, post 9/11 global bleakness and the rise of social media.

The Internet and globalism also got massive and suddenly the wonder of new stuff just began to evaporate because everything felt just as iteratively advanced as the last thing.

Like, I struggle to remember many specific highlights from about 2005 to 2024, other than things like the tories getting into power, referendums on brexit/independence, the Xbox and shite like strictly taking over TV.

I mean I have fondness for individual things. 2004 was a great year for music for example (or it was if you like the sort of stuff I like), be it the achingly beautiful & sad The Disintegration Loops or the face melting harshness of Terrifyer or Domine Non Es Dignus. And like 50 or 60 others. And it's not like that's hindsight talking, it felt special at the time. I remember when Mastodon's Leviathan came out saying that "this record will be looked back on like people look back at Metallica's Ride The Lightning 20 years ago". And I don't know if it is exactly, but it should be, it's loving phenomenal.

TBH 2004 might go down as one of the best years for music in my lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

forkboy84 posted:

I mean I have fondness for individual things. 2004 was a great year for music for example (or it was if you like the sort of stuff I like), be it the achingly beautiful & sad The Disintegration Loops or the face melting harshness of Terrifyer or Domine Non Es Dignus. And like 50 or 60 others. And it's not like that's hindsight talking, it felt special at the time. I remember when Mastodon's Leviathan came out saying that "this record will be looked back on like people look back at Metallica's Ride The Lightning 20 years ago". And I don't know if it is exactly, but it should be, it's loving phenomenal.

TBH 2004 might go down as one of the best years for music in my lifetime.

I hate to break it to you but most people have never heard of any of this stuff and I could do an equally obscure list of seminal Detroit techno from 91-95 that meant the loving world at the time, and still does in some ways.

Edit : in fact - have some underground resistance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNdrH1r0yRI

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 28, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I remember somehow having never heard of Mastodon and then seeing them open for Slayer at some point around ‘04, and Blood and Thunder absolutely blowing my tits off

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The sheer brass neck it must take to publish headlines that you know perfectly well aren't even a little bit true.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

The sheer brass neck it must take to publish headlines that you know perfectly well aren't even a little bit true.

You supply the pictures, I'll supply thr war

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Mail is furious that a monument to one of their historical victories is being covered up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kin posted:

When I think back on it, it's because there always seemed like there was something new coming out, either in music trends, media or technology, etc but things were also a bit simpler so those changes felt all the more wonderful.

When I think of the 00s, I just think of smart phones, the start of samey music, post 9/11 global bleakness and the rise of social media.

The Internet and globalism also got massive and suddenly the wonder of new stuff just began to evaporate because everything felt just as iteratively advanced as the last thing.

Like, I struggle to remember many specific highlights from about 2005 to 2024, other than things like the tories getting into power, referendums on brexit/independence, the Xbox and shite like strictly taking over TV.
I think 2000-2010 was a sea change in tech usability and features for normal people, like compare Windows 2000 to Windows 7, or Linux as it was either end of that, or the Nokias to the ubiquitous black oblongs.

Also a lot of style changes and form changes like with flatscreens becoming the default.

I don't think there's the same degree of obvious user facing change from 2010-2020. (Which was also not 4 years ago, gently caress that.)

smellmycheese posted:

seminal Detroit techno
This is why the people’s party of canada want a wall at windsor.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

I hate to break it to you but most people have never heard of any of this stuff and I could do an equally obscure list of seminal Detroit techno from 91-95 that meant the loving world at the time, and still does in some ways.

Edit : in fact - have some underground resistance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNdrH1r0yRI

I did caveat that it was great if you like what I like. If you don't then no, I wouldn't expect you to have heard much of William Basinski or Anaal Nathrakh. Well, maybe Basinski, he would've gotten covered in more mainstream media just for the background to the music. I just saw the comment about music starting to homogenise & it reminded me how much I loved 2004 for new releases

History Comes Inside! posted:

I remember somehow having never heard of Mastodon and then seeing them open for Slayer at some point around ‘04, and Blood and Thunder absolutely blowing my tits off

I was incredibly lucky to see them live in front of a few hundred people on the Leviathan tour. Just the perfect moment in time to see them really.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 28, 2024

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The period 2012-2015 was pretty good, but my personal best year was 2019. I was completely happy for most of it, genuinely feeling positive and enthusiastic about life in a way that I had never experienced before and haven't since. Even if it later turned out to have been a lie.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Anaal Nathrakh always seemed like some obscure sex joke to me, it's only now in 2024 it's about a snake's expulsion

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will probably go to my grave arguing that while it is probably a good thing that iphone type devices can do everything, the fact that they do everything badly has probably made a lot of things a lot worse because now instead of designing actual physical interfaces, everyone just throws a loving touchscreen on poo poo and writes lovely software that has the same level of design behind it as a modern UEFI boot screen.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

on the other hand have you tried using something not designed by the company currently run by the printer guy?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I did caveat that it was great if you like what I like. If you don't then no, I wouldn't expect you to have heard much of William Basinski or Anaal Nathrakh. Well, maybe Basinski, he would've gotten covered in more mainstream media just for the background to the music.

Basinski was playing here a couple months ago but I couldn't go sadly. Have literally no idea what kind of live thing he does nowadays

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

I was incredibly lucky to see them live in front of a few hundred people on the Leviathan tour. Just the perfect moment in time to see them really.

I remember seeing My Dying Bride at Portsmouth Air Balloon at some point in 1993 - total audience about 12. #goodtimes.

I looked at a recent pic of the band and was thinking 'where's Aaron' then I realized I was looking at Aaron only he was about 25 when I last saw them live & now he's 55!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

I think 2000-2010 was a sea change in tech usability and features for normal people, like compare Windows 2000 to Windows 7, or Linux as it was either end of that, or the Nokias to the ubiquitous black oblongs.

Also a lot of style changes and form changes like with flatscreens becoming the default.

I don't think there's the same degree of obvious user facing change from 2010-2020. (Which was also not 4 years ago, gently caress that.)

This is why the people’s party of canada want a wall at windsor.

Windsor was into it right from the start. Home to Ritchie Hawtin of Plastikman fame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMpr6xr8h0M

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also Mastodon-Leviathan is absolutely an "era album" and I also felt that way at the time. I remember smoking weed with my 10years-older brother in his flat in Amsterdam and listening to it on vinyl when it came out and both of us being like :okpos: :aaaaa:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I will probably go to my grave arguing that while it is probably a good thing that iphone type devices can do everything, the fact that they do everything badly has probably made a lot of things a lot worse because now instead of designing actual physical interfaces, everyone just throws a loving touchscreen on poo poo and writes lovely software that has the same level of design behind it as a modern UEFI boot screen.
One of my da's hot engineering takes is that you get A New Thing, which has some fairly niche imagined use, then economies of scale make it cheap, then it ends up everywhere in everything, but usually not doing the best job at it, then repeat for those.

His gotos were the Z80* and 6502 microprocessors, which started off envisaged in office rack computers, telecoms systems, and data processing, but ended up fuelling the home computer revolution and being in everything from cheap musical keyboards to Nintendo clones to tamagochis.

I think we're seeing a round of that with 'smartphone' being the block unit (in much the same way that those microprocessors were an 'everything device' for replacing a few dozen boards of 74 series logic) where everything gets a touchscreen, or a set of gyros/accelerometers, or is an Android SBC, whether or not it needs to be. The iPhone was the high-end Apple II, the midrange Android was the ZX81, and we're heading into the "hey we can save four components by putting this in a toaster" era. There will be some stupid rear end poo poo. Then there will probably be a winnowing.

*RIP Z80 48 years gone too soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3pUVwASOk&t=385s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think one of the worst aspects is putting them in cars. Absolutely horrendous idea and far less usable than just having real buttons for things. But a close second is everything having An App.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Bobstar posted:

I always say the roundness of the year 2000 broke my brain, so now I'm stuck thinking it's "about the year 2000", which is true in millennium terms, decreasingly so for centuries, and definitely not for decades. But if someone was born in 1942 my brain immediately goes "ah, they're about 60 then"

But it probably also has to do with my age at the time, and the blahhh of events from 2001 onwards, as you say.

Then Covid totally broke my sense of time. A social media post I saw sums it up (adjusted to today): "Happy 1578th day of 2020!"

That's weird, I do the same thing for people's ages. Post 2000 just feels like this numerical void and I have to actively add 20 to whatever thing I think back on.

It's like anything after 2000 has just been a blur. Like, poo poo, I've been lurking/posting on these forums pretty much daily for over 20 years now...

Maybe that's why I feel like everything's been a blur. If I wasn't on here every day I'd probably be part of the drooling masses, buying into whatever bullshit I'm being told on TV with a Netflix subscription and thinking fondly of poo poo like Facebook or Michael McIntyre.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
2004 is a decent year for music I would say, Arcade Fire - Funeral, The Steeets, Sonic Youth - Sonic nurse, College Dropout, Franz Ferdinand ST I would put as solid albums for that year.

As for cars I have long said that a lot of infotainment stuff needs to go the way of generic systems like CAN bus for interacting with it and presenting it and then a phone or replaceable system. You could always long argue it is like that anyway with older cars in I can get a 2005 Renault Clip, take out the single DIN stereo and put in something like this and it would be better than what I have in my 2021 Renault Zoe.

Starbucks fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 28, 2024

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

This year seems good so far; i stopped using Microsoft Windows and fully switched to linux, not an earth shattering event but nearly all of my games work and computer crashes are rare. :kiddo:

Of course that will change, it's the loving UK innit?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

This year seems good so far; i stopped using Microsoft Windows and fully switched to linux, not an earth shattering event but nearly all of my games work and computer crashes are rare. :kiddo:

Of course that will change, it's the loving UK innit?
I member the days when the idea of any game working natively on Linux was a pipe dream. Is it that mainstream now?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier posted:

not sure i agree. modern phones and phone like devices (e.g., ipads) are definitely better for huge degrees of what one might call passive computer use. maps are nicer to use with a touchscreen.

i think veteran computer users get frustrated sometimes but that doesn’t mean it’s bad.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier posted:

I think one of the worst aspects is putting them in cars. Absolutely horrendous idea and far less usable than just having real buttons for things. But a close second is everything having An App.

touchscreens in cars are fine with the huge caveat that they shouldn’t be able to do much that you can’t do with a cars physical buttons

getting rid of car physical interfaces is so stupid at this point

Guavanaut posted:

One of my da's hot engineering takes is that you get A New Thing, which has some fairly niche imagined use, then economies of scale make it cheap, then it ends up everywhere in everything, but usually not doing the best job at it, then repeat for those.

His gotos were the Z80* and 6502 microprocessors, which started off envisaged in office rack computers, telecoms systems, and data processing, but ended up fuelling the home computer revolution and being in everything from cheap musical keyboards to Nintendo clones to tamagochis.

I think we're seeing a round of that with 'smartphone' being the block unit (in much the same way that those microprocessors were an 'everything device' for replacing a few dozen boards of 74 series logic) where everything gets a touchscreen, or a set of gyros/accelerometers, or is an Android SBC, whether or not it needs to be. The iPhone was the high-end Apple II, the midrange Android was the ZX81, and we're heading into the "hey we can save four components by putting this in a toaster" era. There will be some stupid rear end poo poo. Then there will probably be a winnowing.

it’s an interesting take though i’ll point out that this was explicitly the point of the iphone. one device that holds a bunch of single tools. now i’m not saying this is uniformly good but it’s different from having one thing that you then cram everywhere else

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

communism bitch posted:

I member the days when the idea of any game working natively on Linux was a pipe dream. Is it that mainstream now?

Not natively, though it's increasingly more likely that games will have linux native versions. Steam has a very good compatibility layer called Proton which uses Wine to boot most Windows games to varying degrees of playability.

It's so good that you even get games where the linux version is totally borked but the windows version still runs perfectly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The physical shape and functionality of the iphone leads directly to lovely infinite scroll vertical pane web design.

Like I've had to use mobile devices for work for the past 11 years and I will continue to assert that the proliferation of touchscreen devices have only made it worse because you spend far more time dealing with lovely touchscreen interfaces for everything and the dickheads who dictate the tasks expect you to do a bunch of extra stuff that mobile devices can do, but do badly because they do everything badly, so you have to spend even more time doing them instead of it simply being "no you can't do that without a desktop, so it isn't getting done"

The theoretical ability for a device to do something encourages people to try and make doing that thing a requirement or a key feature, even if it does it poorly, and so people end up spending more time working with fundamentally bad tools that are aggravating to work with.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 28, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mediaphage posted:

it’s an interesting take though i’ll point out that this was explicitly the point of the iphone. one device that holds a bunch of single tools. now i’m not saying this is uniformly good but it’s different from having one thing that you then cram everywhere else
It was explicitly the point of microprocessors too though, replace a huge modular logic thing with a single slab that you make a hundred million of. Which gives you a unit (or more likely at first set of discrete units) with a very wide set of utilities, not a bad thing at all.

But when it gets cheap enough that using instead of three logic chips costs in, that goes in strange and unintended directions. Like I don't think anyone at MOS went to their tech leads with tamagochis in mind, but they would not have been possible without them. The tech that gives you "okay here's a board with these three chips that can do x, y, and z" ended up in some wild places then, and will probably do same again now.

And yeah, some of them will end up pretty bad, like

mediaphage posted:

getting rid of car physical interfaces is so stupid at this point

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

communism bitch posted:

I'm not playing AAA games packed with DRM and it's still very niche but the Steam Deck runs on a version of linux and there are compatibility layers for PC that help immensely.

It's not plug & play yet for all games and as i'm not a guru at this stuff i check here: https://www.protondb.com/ to see if they work and see what i have to tweak to get them going right... beats the old days when i had to fight with MS-DOS 6.0 just to get games to load. :rubby:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Once upon a time a middle class failchild would be sent to become a monk or a nun and I think we should bring that back.

'Reformations, just say No' IMO

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Isn't one big thing about smartphones is that because it can do everything it's been a major driver in drone development? You can get remote controlled flying toys with a camera for a pittance because it borrows so much of the tech from smartphones.

3 decades ago a RC plane was the only properly flying toy and those started at a grand at least.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/28/tory-rebels-plan-100-day-policy-blitz-if-local-elections-are-disaster-for-party

*taking a long hard look in the mirror, summoning all my powers of introspection*: we have to crack down harder on the poor and disabled

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

It was explicitly the point of microprocessors too though, replace a huge modular logic thing with a single slab that you make a hundred million of. Which gives you a unit (or more likely at first set of discrete units) with a very wide set of utilities, not a bad thing at all.

Usually two max, eg CPU and MMU, as you say that was the whole point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

Isn't one big thing about smartphones is that because it can do everything it's been a major driver in drone development? You can get remote controlled flying toys with a camera for a pittance because it borrows so much of the tech from smartphones.
Yeah a lot of them pull heavily from "here's a board that can tell where it is and what angles and accelerations it is experiencing and also do a poo poo ton of maths on it."

feedmegin posted:

'Reformations, just say No' IMO
We could/should just build a bunch of dark souls levels around cities now. We have the technology.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Err OK fine maybe also FPU if you're being fancy but I'm not sure if anyone had separate chips for all three of those

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, a lot of them started with their own bunch of specific intended RAM/ROM/PIO glue/coprocessor suites and rapidly went into not that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

This conversation is giving me flashbacks to Higher Computing & I don't like that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Quelle surprise!

Would never have imagined such a thing, in all my born days etc etc

:hotpickle:

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Apraxin posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/28/tory-rebels-plan-100-day-policy-blitz-if-local-elections-are-disaster-for-party

*taking a long hard look in the mirror, summoning all my powers of introspection*: we have to crack down harder on the poor and disabled

“Back to Basics”

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
What could be more popular than cutting the money used for benefits and public services and spending it on guns instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Those foreign students are a real drain on the state, with their boundless wealth and huge tuition and rental fees.