Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Quick question for save scumming to get the script to recruit Clarke in Eiyuden; are rare finds generated when you interact with the tool shop itself or when you enter the town? I've saved in the inn in that town but I surely can't have gotten unlucky 6 times in a row when loading my save from before I checked the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Booky posted:

abyss seems like its really hard to get all that Sweet Lore blind

Its less the sweet lore but more there's some decent character bits (and I think maybe a couple of artes or costumes?) that are really easy to avoid in a way that doesn't feel super intentional by the devs.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Finished Eiyuden Hundred Heroes. It's about a 6/10 game. It's not outright bad, but neither the story or the gameplay did anything very interesting, the latter in particular just... not having a balance pass, seemingly. Most of the Suikoden callbacks just made me think of better games, which made the bad parts feel worse. If/when there's a sequel, I'll definitely wait on what people have to say about it before buying.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Testekill posted:

Quick question for save scumming to get the script to recruit Clarke in Eiyuden; are rare finds generated when you interact with the tool shop itself or when you enter the town? I've saved in the inn in that town but I surely can't have gotten unlucky 6 times in a row when loading my save from before I checked the store.

I have no idea, i just legit left the game running overnight in my castle to make sure time passed for a "respawn" of the shop, saved at castle, then warped to town and opened shop and repeated this process. To be extra sure I went back to title between loads.

Its dogshit and this crap gates a ton of fun content because its not the only play hidden this way, much less some extremely OP for the time you get them items in shop which nah, Im not doing this for.

Edit: by the way for the missable guy who B'Baba tells you about way, way too goddamn early he doesnt actually appear until a few plot beats after getting to Yarnaan. For slightly more specific spoilers Yarnaan will get invaded by revenants. After helping people flee and finishing that segment he will show up

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 29, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

The main 2 in XB3 are cool.

I haven’t played XB3 yet but one of them has a deep manly voice in the dub and a cool lady voice in JP and really he seems like one of the cooler Xeno characters in general.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Einander posted:

Finished Eiyuden Hundred Heroes. It's about a 6/10 game. It's not outright bad, but neither the story or the gameplay did anything very interesting, the latter in particular just... not having a balance pass, seemingly. Most of the Suikoden callbacks just made me think of better games, which made the bad parts feel worse. If/when there's a sequel, I'll definitely wait on what people have to say about it before buying.

What was your completion time?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think it's around a 7.5/10, it's very authentically a ps2 era JRPG, warts and all, and it could've benefitted from a larger budget to flesh out the town and world maps, and the combat is too basic, but it's pretty much what I wanted out of a Suikoden spiritual successor and I'd put it above 3 and (the very little I've played of) 4.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So in Eiyuden, what did you name your home base and why did you choose Meow Meow Town?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

GateOfD posted:

What was your completion time?

Clear data is just shy of 60 hours. But about 3+ hours of that were sitting with the game idling while waiting for the shops to refresh their rare finds (because I hadn't heard you could savescum for the theater scripts), and I did a decent bit of diving into all of the minigames. So 50-60 hours depending on speed, probably.

The 7th Guest posted:

I think it's around a 7.5/10, it's very authentically a ps2 era JRPG, warts and all, and it could've benefitted from a larger budget to flesh out the town and world maps, and the combat is too basic, but it's pretty much what I wanted out of a Suikoden spiritual successor and I'd put it above 3 and (the very little I've played of) 4.

What brings it down for me is that I feel there weren't any real stand-out moments I'll look back on and remember. Like, the bridge duel and the other duels were pretty cool, but generally they were tied to emotional moments they were trying to invoke without really laying the groundwork. In the end, there's nothing the game really does better than anything that I'd compare it to.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Artelier posted:

So in Eiyuden, what did you name your home base and why did you choose Meow Meow Town?

Went with Munchausenville, myself. It was a funny callback to Eiyuden's version of the "Schtolteheim Reinbach III" running gag from the Suikoden games.

It's a shame that you can't just enter a name for the castle anymore. Though most people would probably just end up naming it "Forty McFortface" or something like that. Maybe the castle name is actually voice acted this time.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

babypolis posted:

Ok I didnt think any of the stealth missions in Reverse Collapse were that bad/unfun but this night mission with the ELIDs is just pure dogshit

If you mean the first one in Chapter 3 the devs clearly also think so as there is a hidden way to just COMPLETELY skip the chapter (though you'll need to go back for the document at some point) by heading up to the top right of the map.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Einander posted:

Finished Eiyuden Hundred Heroes. It's about a 6/10 game.

A proper Suikoden successor. Excited to continue it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Testekill posted:

When you interact with the shop itself. 6 times in a row is nothing haha :negative:

Also if you mess up and save after interacting with a shop, they refresh their inventory every 30 mins.

Einander posted:

I just finished and I agree. It's mostly average/good, but there are some parts that drag it down. I still enjoyed my time with it, but I just wish it was better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 29, 2024

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I just want to know why this dwarf has 100 less HP than my other frontliners and why Francesca has less HP than another healer type half her level. The deeper in I get the crazier the stat disparity gets and its goddamn absurd.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Einander posted:

Clear data is just shy of 60 hours. But about 3+ hours of that were sitting with the game idling while waiting for the shops to refresh their rare finds (because I hadn't heard you could savescum for the theater scripts), and I did a decent bit of diving into all of the minigames. So 50-60 hours depending on speed, probably.

What brings it down for me is that I feel there weren't any real stand-out moments I'll look back on and remember. Like, the bridge duel and the other duels were pretty cool, but generally they were tied to emotional moments they were trying to invoke without really laying the groundwork. In the end, there's nothing the game really does better than anything that I'd compare it to.

I'm barely 10hrs in but I been getting that feeling as well. Maybe it's a pitfall when you pitch a project with the expressed intent to make it just like something else but with the name filled off, instead of a sequel with a different name. Or maybe it's the constraints of the budget forcing a focus on the key features promised, maybe had Bioshock been kickstarted it too would have been a cute but meh clone too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bussamove posted:

I just want to know why this dwarf has 100 less HP than my other frontliners and why Francesca has less HP than another healer type half her level. The deeper in I get the crazier the stat disparity gets and its goddamn absurd.

Francesca has good physical stats, a two hit with crushing weapon, and is part of one of the best hero combos. Her downside is low HP pool and being blocked from tier 4 magic. Shes carried me well all the way to near end game where now Im having to debate since her limit with magic showed up.

But yeah character stats and abilities are a mess and some characters are nothing but short straws. I think possibly one of the hardest hit is Yume, not because she sucks per se, but because she's your only large character for 3/4ths the game and is a seeming intentional dumpster fire so whenever you do get the other large characters you long ago abandoned that concept.

Also I swear there is some sort of weird damage calculation going on in the background because I did the same bossfight twice, upgrading all my gear from what the character started with between attempts, and they went from surviving the bosses magic attack to being one shot by it.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 29, 2024

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I'm not convinced Kurtz is actually a good cook. The judges hate everything.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

wow, rude

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Nameless Pete posted:

I'm not convinced Kurtz is actually a good cook. The judges hate everything.

His mint chocolate ice cream must really taste like poo poo because I used it in a duel and only got 3 points.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Testekill posted:

His mint chocolate ice cream must really taste like poo poo because I used it in a duel and only got 3 points.

If you're unpatched all the dishes are being scored as if what the judges want is appetizers, so fried eggs+omelet is enough to carry you through 90% of battles without even needing a third dish.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So far I'm actually super unimpressed by Eiyuden Chronicle but I'm also super okay with that

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So...what am I supposed to do now that I have just gotten my home base in Eiyuden? Like they just told me to get more people to join the army, and there's three areas that I can access. As far as I can tell two of them have guards that don't let me pass after a short while in, and the third one has like a giant rock at the entrance so I can't go farther either. I have recruited three characters since this part and now I'm just kinda...wandering?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Apparently a bunch of characters in Eiyuden are set so they have explosive growth stats starting around level 60, aka where you'll have beaten game.

Artelier posted:

So...what am I supposed to do now that I have just gotten my home base in Eiyuden? Like they just told me to get more people to join the army, and there's three areas that I can access. As far as I can tell two of them have guards that don't let me pass after a short while in, and the third one has like a giant rock at the entrance so I can't go farther either. I have recruited three characters since this part and now I'm just kinda...wandering?

This is the worst part of the game in terms of direction, bar none. You can go back through the well that is in the back courtyard, its the same way you go in here. The path will have a shortcut through the mine dungeon in room with the savepoint you enter, but there are also two dwarves+the shop keeper you can recruit in there now too.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I've never played a Suikoden so the idea of having a very large amount of potential party members is something of a novelty to me (I have played Chrono Cross but not quite the same thing). I've found the characters I've found really likeable so far, so I'm mildly dreading having to really settle at some point.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Redezga posted:

I've never played a Suikoden so the idea of having a very large amount of potential party members is something of a novelty to me (I have played Chrono Cross but not quite the same thing). I've found the characters I've found really likeable so far, so I'm mildly dreading having to really settle at some point.

It does seem like it has some exp scaling like Suikoden, where lower level party members get a ton of extra xp to catch up, as long as they survive and you're fighting enemies that are on parity with your main party.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Redezga posted:

My go-to strategy to party composition in suikoden games is to just jam whatever my lowest level characters are for any given mission and not think too hard about it. The games are easy enough and the way exp works makes it easy to bring low level chars up to speed

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Redezga posted:

You will later in the game be expected to have a main party and then two other side parties so theres room for it. As mentioned there is aggressive XP scaling in this, you can take a level 15 character to level 40 in about 4 fights against level 40 enemies.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
in XBX, should I be careful about how I'm setting up probes from the get go, or will i eventually get enough spares that I can worry about optimal layouts later?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
There’s a finite number of probes in the game, but they don’t get used up or anything. You can uninstall them and shuffle your layout around as you get better probes, so no need to worry about your long term setup or anything.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Honest Thief posted:

I'm barely 10hrs in but I been getting that feeling as well. Maybe it's a pitfall when you pitch a project with the expressed intent to make it just like something else but with the name filled off, instead of a sequel with a different name. Or maybe it's the constraints of the budget forcing a focus on the key features promised, maybe had Bioshock been kickstarted it too would have been a cute but meh clone too.

bioshock already does have way less going on than system shock with its budget though. it sets itself apart from system shock but the ways it sets itself apart are mostly in having nothing going on gameplay wise that would make it fun to go back to anymore

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 29, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Snake Maze posted:

There’s a finite number of probes in the game, but they don’t get used up or anything. You can uninstall them and shuffle your layout around as you get better probes, so no need to worry about your long term setup or anything.

thanks, i didn't realize

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

bioshock already does have way less going on than system shock with its budget though. it sets itself apart from system shock but the ways it sets itself apart are mostly in having nothing going on gameplay wise that would make it fun to go back to anymore

This is both true and playing Atomic Heart made me appreciate how much Bioshock actually did have going on with its gameplay when compared to that game. At least in Bioshock if you electrify a pool of water people get actually electrified.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
comparing bioshock to a bad game doesn't make bioshock good!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

comparing bioshock to a bad game doesn't make bioshock good!

Oh, I know, I'm just saying.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like Bioshock (not you Infinite)

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

Infinite will always be an interesting to revisit fiasco.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Sakurazuka posted:

Infinite was ok. The story ended up complete trash but I still found the aesthetic fascinating and it does have a psuedo-biotic charge so how bad can it be?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Infinite is awful. "See, the oppressed minorities are actually just as monstrous as the oppressors!" Booker writes off Daisy because he's a racist, and then the game validates his viewpoint by showing her almost murdering a kid for no reason.

I could say something like "the game is fun though" but there are other games which are also fun and not racist.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Tequila Bob posted:

Infinite is awful. "See, the oppressed minorities are actually just as monstrous as the oppressors!" Booker writes off Daisy because he's a racist, and then the game validates his viewpoint by showing her almost murdering a kid for no reason.

I could say something like "the game is fun though" but there are other games which are also fun and not racist.

The game is interesting, but I would not call it fun. There’s like 90 minutes of shooting crows at a ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the fact that a bunch of people acted like bioshock infinite was really deep is one of the most embarrassing parts of the 2010s