Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

NeonPunk posted:

I understand a drought being bad for potatoes, but why is having wet soils bad for potatoes? It's not like they got flooded.

hmm yeah i wonder why crops can fail during wildly different than normal weather. it just doesnt make sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Yeah...
https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1784967289005121712?t=ssm1eIHcmfZWH6cCl-ThMQ&s=19

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cant they simply grow all crops indoors in multilevel hydroponic factories or something. whats the big hold up

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
personally i would plant mold-immune potatoes that can never go bad. seems simple if you ask me

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

The funniest thing bytedance can do is to just shut down Tiktok themselves in September.

That'll give enough time for everyone to register to vote.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Everything about the way they did this leads me to believe they did it because the revenue is not flowing into the correct hands

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Everything about the way they did this leads me to believe they did it because the revenue is not flowing into the correct hands

Positively that's why they did it, that and appeasing Israeli Nazis.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Also because our government isn't allowed to use it for spying & censorship on its citizens, unlike u.s.-owned media.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

They also don't have control of the propaganda the tiktok algorithm pumps out.

Anyway lmao at tesla just exploding on the china news.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Also because our government isn't allowed to use it for spying & censorship on its citizens, unlike u.s.-owned media.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Positively that's why they did it, that and appeasing Israeli Nazis.

Mr Hootington posted:

They also don't have control of the propaganda the tiktok algorithm pumps out.

Anyway lmao at tesla just exploding on the china news.

All of these are plus factors and added benefits and Israel probably accelerated the timing, but it’s all about the money and who is making the bank because ultimately that’s all any of these people actually really deep down cares about

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fart simpson posted:

cant they simply grow all crops indoors in multilevel hydroponic factories or something. whats the big hold up

lol china ftw

those robot vertical greenhouse towers they have are cool. though not practical for america (we can’t produce enough from them to feed cows to turn into Walmart value select choice NY strip steaks)

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

I would imagine its a factor that the Chinese are allowed to use tiktok for spying & censorship on all users but mostly the USG is jealous.

Look at what's trending on tiktok: Perfume Beauty & Personal Care/Makeup & Perfume, Face Masks, Men's Tops. The intelligence haul would be staggering.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

the popes toes posted:

I would imagine its a factor that the Chinese are allowed to use tiktok for spying & censorship on all users but mostly the USG is jealous.

Look at what's trending on tiktok: Perfume Beauty & Personal Care/Makeup & Perfume, Face Masks, Men's Tops. The intelligence haul would be staggering.

its probably also a goldmine in understanding how information propagates through the ideological prism of the western imperium.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Mandel Brotset posted:

its probably also a goldmine in understanding how information propagates through the ideological prism of the western imperium.

a game of telephone played by people younger than 30 years old who also only consume tiktok for news?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

All of these are plus factors and added benefits and Israel probably accelerated the timing, but it’s all about the money and who is making the bank because ultimately that’s all any of these people actually really deep down cares about

the u.s. government was paying jack dorsey tens of millions of dollars for his complicity in their censorship projects.

and that's the one we know about.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Willa Rogers posted:

the u.s. government was paying jack dorsey tens of millions of dollars for his complicity in their censorship projects.

that’s barely even the tip of the iceberg. we also know from Snowden leaks and traffic coming from Eglin Air Force Base that they’re much more invested and controlling than that. they spend a lot on synthesis and control.

it also turns out it’s relatively easy to disseminate and achieve a convergence on a consensus (usually a state department platform) within social groups by influencing ‘social leaders’ and who they pay attention and who pays attention to them and so on with precise interjections and lingo intended to be in-group versus dejected out-group

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

that’s barely even the tip of the iceberg. we also know from Snowden leaks and traffic coming from Eglin Air Force Base that they’re much more invested and controlling than that. they spend a lot on synthesis and control.

it also turns out it’s relatively easy to disseminate and achieve a convergence on a consensus (usually a state department platform) within social groups by influencing ‘social leaders’ and who they pay attention and who pays attention to them and so on with precise interjections and lingo intended to be in-group versus dejected out-group

This is exactly what the libs were complaining about Russia doing in 2016.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

This hardly requires US ownership and simply being foreign owned might make it harder but hardly outside the coercive force of the US government. Bytedance is not a noble innocent player protecting free speech and could be made to play ball in all sorts of ways that being US owned isn’t a requirement for. The specifics, forced sale to an appropriate US owned group, clearly indicates this is about the money more than anything else. They’re looking at it wanting their slice of the pie

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Weembles posted:

This is exactly what the libs were complaining about Russia doing in 2016.

lol always projection, always

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

Yeah there’s this too. Shut down or sell to an appropriate US ownership group is a very blunt tool that speaks more to wanting to own the thing than use it for influence and control

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah there’s this too. Shut down or sell to an appropriate US ownership group is a very blunt tool that speaks more to wanting to own the thing than use it for influence and control

it’s probably both. though not a pre requisite but certainly helps if US owns the tools (in addition to making Larry Ellison or Zuckerbergs more money)

anyways as an example look at how fast Americans have turned into diseased rabid sinophobes overnight, or pro genocide, or bloodlust sickos

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Xaris posted:

it’s probably both. though not a pre requisite but certainly helps if US owns the tools (in addition to making Larry Ellison or Zuckerbergs more money)

anyways as an example look at how fast Americans have turned into diseased rabid sinophobes overnight, or pro genocide, or bloodlust sickos

have americans ever not been sinophobic, pro-genocide bloodlust sickos

point on the calendar to when americans were not these things

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

At some point in time they were English.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

Honestly the current rejection of the preferred line on Israel Palestine is a very notable outlier compared to how easily Americans have been shepherded along with russiaphobia and Sinophobia and I think it speaks at least in some ways to the fact that the Israel Palestine conflict has been ongoing for so long and people are starting from a different place but idk, there’s definitely something unique going on there where the state department preferred line hasn’t managed to take absolute mainstream hold

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

posted this last week in the Covid thread. keep up, man.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

The Oldest Man posted:

I mean…. yeah true but like dialed up to an 11 from a 6. there wasn’t nearly as much Sinophobia permeating the entire internet like 8 years ago. even on other subs it’s out of control

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Xaris posted:

I mean…. yeah true but like dialed up to an 11 from a 6. there wasn’t nearly as much Sinophobia permeating the entire internet like 8 years ago. even on other subs it’s out of control

Rabid dogs attack whatevers in front of them

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

Rabid dogs attack whatevers in front of them

Woah

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Xaris posted:

Yeah 8 years ago was when Trump got elected and started saying CHYNA so the libs had to pretend that they don't agree with him which led to a sizeable decrease in public displays of it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

posted this last week in the Covid thread. keep up, man.

I don't read that lovely thread

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Talk about a 180 lol
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1784786687098573294?t=9GhBluvcIV4duh87fgDfMQ&s=19

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

At some point in time they were English.

That’s just a difference of direction, not degree

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Chuds drum up sinophobia like this: :trumppop::yooge: "Chyna virus"

Libs drum up sinophobia like this: :umberto::obama::decorum: "Overproduction problem"

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Xaris posted:

What kind of State Department platform? I suppose you could call Tor/Onion Router a State Dept platform since they so heavily funded it, but who uses a state dept app or platform besides the Radio Free/VOA dreck?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Routine reminder that he's pushing immigration not because he cares about American citizens but because it makes him more money by having more people to exploit and extract money from.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1785008630720303192?t=OTEu1yUXqk4_sw2-gEuxrw&s=19

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Furiously willing the economy to implode to own The Krug.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Routine reminder that he's pushing immigration not because he cares about American citizens but because it makes him more money by having more people to exploit and extract money from.

Immigration can help combat wage inflation. He's doing his part.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Americans can’t innovate, they just steal or ban other country stuff by legislative/judicial fiat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Honestly the current rejection of the preferred line on Israel Palestine is a very notable outlier compared to how easily Americans have been shepherded along with russiaphobia and Sinophobia and I think it speaks at least in some ways to the fact that the Israel Palestine conflict has been ongoing for so long and people are starting from a different place but idk, there’s definitely something unique going on there where the state department preferred line hasn’t managed to take absolute mainstream hold

it's also because Israelis are a uniquely disgusting culture yet their sympathizers are loving everywhere in the us media, and actually seeing them say things revolts people enough to go "hey wait it's actually hosed up what they're doing to Palestine"

remember, it's not legal to boycott israel in most of the country and hold state employment. a blatant violation of the first amendment but curiously the Supreme Court doesn't care about this