Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

The cdc just posted an article on the bird flu

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/30/7/24-0508_article

One thing that jumped out at me is its extremely fatal to cats because the virus attack their nervous system and brain itself :whitewater:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

Yeeeeah nah. Once again because it's not all that deadly doesn't mean it won't hurt. Being in Texas I've known 5 folks personally and saw their spider bites myself, it always get really nasty and gross af. Two of them got the wound badly infected and had to get surgery to carve it out and left a permanent dent in their leg/foot.

Like c'mon we brag about having the best medical care in the world, and now it's like you're not dead = success! (Ignoring everything else)

Oh I'm not saying that widow bites are fine and dandy and nothing at all to be worried about, I'm just saying that Australian folklore about redbacks being deadly was hugely over exaggerated and has caused a ridiculous amount of needless panic and paranoia

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

NeonPunk posted:

The cdc just posted an article on the bird flu

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/30/7/24-0508_article

One thing that jumped out at me is its extremely fatal to cats because the virus attack their nervous system and brain itself :whitewater:

Poor loving cats were just doing their jobs and taking their pay in milk and look it where it landed them.

Capitalism. Not even once.

Also holy poo poo 4.4% of people admit to drinking raw milk?

quote:

Although pasteurization of commercial milk mitigates risks for transmission to humans, a 2019 US consumer study showed that 4.4% of adults consumed raw milk >1 time during the previous year (29), indicating a need for public awareness of the potential presence of HPAI H5N1 viruses in raw milk.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Apr 29, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/ClassyRedneck11/status/1784575113217622173

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Aaaaahahahaha please Please PLEASE let this catch on

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

I heard Texan cow blood works better.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Penn State: 'Whooping cough' cases confirmed on campus

Cough? That’s respiratory. Just Stop Reporting. 🤗

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

ya'll got a free donut??

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Pingui posted:

"Hospital reporting of respiratory disease to lapse"

Note that this is not only COVID hospitalization data gathering being ditched.

let's just let the idea of sickness lapse, let's dissolve the knowledge of hospitals

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Oracle posted:

Don’t listen to doctors who blow off irregular bleeding uterus havers. Even if it’s ’around that time for the Change.’

Well oh poo poo. lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1784980694407561650

Petition to make Wario64 the Surgeon General of the United States.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

yeah why not just squirt a little deer spinal fluid into your needle drugs while you're at it

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Platystemon posted:

Penn State: 'Whooping cough' cases confirmed on campus

Cough? That’s respiratory. Just Stop Reporting. 🤗

gonna rip through with how many people dont re up their DTAP every 10 years. Plus how many people are immunocompromised now.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Got a Dtap refresh today. Doctor also said no point in getting a new measles shot at my age. one out of two ain't bad I guess.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Got a Dtap refresh today. Doctor also said no point in getting a new measles shot at my age. one out of two ain't bad I guess.

Next time, tell your doctor that you're gonna be working with kids at a daycare or something. And you want to get the full course of childhood vaccines just to be safe.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

IDK what travel itinerary gets you all the cool exotic vaccines. It's gotta be some combo of Africa and SE Asia.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

yeah why not just squirt a little deer spinal fluid into your needle drugs while you're at it

quote:

Readers added context they thought people might want to know
Do not soak Zyn in deer blood and put it in your mouth.
never put salt in your eyes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Aren’t you a little old to have Paul Offit as a doctor?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1784980694407561650

Petition to make Wario64 the Surgeon General of the United States.

Cybertruck haters not so smug about the recall now

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Q: A friend is coming into town and will be available to hang out for a night. Is there any test they can take that'd give us a reasonable assurance that they won't infect us with COVID if they hang out at our house? We mask everywhere outside our house and haven't been got yet. They asked if they could take a test and IDK. They'll wear an N95 too if we must but it's more of a pain in the rear end for all of us, especially with the weather outside being hot and humid lately

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m starting to think that health and safety are not priorities for meat packing businesses.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Whoopsie Daisy: https://globalnews.ca/news/10457327/alberta-record-flu-deaths-2024/

Alberta recorded the highest number of influenza deaths in 15 years, and some people are attributing the death toll to a decline in yearly immunization rates.

But Capital doesn't really care because:
Many of the people who died were between 60 and 89 years of age.

I can't wait to leave this province.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kragger99 posted:

I can't wait to leave this province.

They’ll have the last laugh when you get plague or hantavirus or something else vectored by rodents.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
https://twitter.com/FTC/status/1784973180701949996

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

biceps crimes posted:

Q: A friend is coming into town and will be available to hang out for a night. Is there any test they can take that'd give us a reasonable assurance that they won't infect us with COVID if they hang out at our house? We mask everywhere outside our house and haven't been got yet. They asked if they could take a test and IDK. They'll wear an N95 too if we must but it's more of a pain in the rear end for all of us, especially with the weather outside being hot and humid lately

At this point I think the suggestions would be a Metrix, Cue, or a Lucira/Pfizer combo Flu/COVID test. All should be significantly more sensitive than a rapid test. All are more expensive. The Lucira one has the advantage of possibly detecting Flu as well.

There's not much data on pre-symptomatic infections and how often they're detectable. So if you're wondering, could they test negative and still be sick & contagious, the answer is certainly yes. Doing a decent test should close the time window where they could be sick but not testing positive on a lovely rapid test by quite a bit though. It does seem like some people get sick and take days and days even AFTER symptoms to test positive though, so I guess a lot depends on the person.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

biceps crimes posted:

Even if rapids aren't perfect, a negative still cuts your risk pretty significantly. I've chanced it with just rapids. A lucira or metrix is better though!

Cases in the US are actually pretty low currently. I think you are in "reasonable assurance" territory. It's not zero percent, but the chance of your friend being infectious is probably less than 1% right now. Plus testing, so the odds are pretty small to hang out with an old friend. A friend who is still actually volunteering to test for you! Don't have many of those anymore.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

A properly done single RAT when someone is pre-symptomatic is <50% likely to catch a COVID infection. You could argue that, if the RAT isn't positive yet, they're not infectious but the truth is that's really hard to nail down because you could be severely infected and even symptomatic for several days primarily in the throat but not show positive on a RAT nasal swab. <50% still isn't nothing, of course. It's worth doing it if you have the tests.

Lucira, Cue, and Metrix all have much better limits of detection and pick up infections much earlier. If you're negative on one of those, the chances of shedding virus at that time are very, very slim even if you later go on to develop an infection. They also have another benefit, which is that there is no ambiguity in the results: RATs require squinting at a little strip that might have juuust barely turned pink. Lucira/Cue/Metrix all have electronic indicators that you're rona'd that are a lot harder to misinterpret.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

the mad rush of every Tom dick and harry to capitalize on new and innovative masks was real funny in hindsight

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I'm gonna guess that the good, non-rapid tests are harder to acquire on short notice? Not something I can just grab at the pharmacy?

Baddog posted:

Cases in the US are actually pretty low currently. I think you are in "reasonable assurance" territory. It's not zero percent, but the chance of your friend being infectious is probably less than 1% right now.

Oh, I wasn't aware that the cases are pretty low. I've stopped looking at anything COVID related for the past year and still operate by always masking, no dining out, etc. My friend had COVID back in January and understand my position, but they still are more normal and just go around and do stuff while understanding that everything is hosed. It'd be nice to just hang out like normal, I've only done that a couple of times since March 2020 with people (who have since compromised their COVID protocols)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

biceps crimes posted:

I'm gonna guess that the good, non-rapid tests are harder to acquire on short notice? Not something I can just grab at the pharmacy?

Oh, I wasn't aware that the cases are pretty low. I've stopped looking at anything COVID related for the past year and still operate by always masking, no dining out, etc. My friend had COVID back in January and understand my position, but they still are more normal and just go around and do stuff while understanding that everything is hosed. It'd be nice to just hang out like normal, I've only done that a couple of times since March 2020 with people (who have since compromised their COVID protocols)

Luciras are on Amazon with same-day delivery right now if you feel like dropping a bunch of money to get one. I haven't seen any COVID tests at my local drugstore in months.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Rescue Toaster posted:

There's not much data on pre-symptomatic infections and how often they're detectable. So if you're wondering, could they test negative and still be sick & contagious, the answer is certainly yes.

This is how I got got. With a Lucira test.

Still it's certainly better than a RAT, and way better than nothing.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

biceps crimes posted:

Oh, I wasn't aware that the cases are pretty low.

They're unfortunately only low in the sense that we changed the definition of low.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Why Am I So Tired posted:

They're unfortunately only low in the sense that we changed the definition of low.

Locally to me this is the lowest they've been since hot vax summer

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Also my mom seems to have recovered quickly after getting Mild(tm)ly sick for a week and is now testing negative; thanks paxlovid

e: and also her getting every single booster that was ever offered to her, I think she's up to 6 or 7?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

biceps crimes posted:

Oh, I wasn't aware that the cases are pretty low.

I think this guy's forecasts/models are conservative if anything. So yah, pretty good right now. Fingers crossed it lasts awhile this time.

https://twitter.com/michael_hoerger/status/1785025203631694010?t=FkY5vmzr4u5funBXJoU1BA&s=19

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Why Am I So Tired posted:

CDC: We only use hospitalizations to determine covid levels
Hospitals, not doing any form of reporting: LMAO
CDC: Cases are low

Morbus
May 18, 2004

gonna need a peer reviewed study on whether 100 million is bigger than 1

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

thanks for the info. I may overnight a Lucira. If I'm reading it right, less than 1% chance my buddy would have COVID. Lucira isn't perfect but has a pretty good chance of catching it if that less than 1% chance is hit, further reducing the risk.

My friend is coming for an ill advised company off-site (we work together) that we're being forced to go to. There will be 30-40 people there, which raises the chance someone is infectious to 22ish %. I will definitely be N95'd during the offsite, and won't hang out with anyone past the very first night when people have arrived on their travel day, since having 40 people who have traveled all together in a poorly ventilated office for 8 hours a day for several days sounds like a great way to spread COVID. Still wanted to get a chance to hang out with him before we're in the office though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

biceps crimes posted:

thanks for the info. I may overnight a Lucira. If I'm reading it right, less than 1% chance my buddy would have COVID. Lucira isn't perfect but has a pretty good chance of catching it if that less than 1% chance is hit, further reducing the risk.

My friend is coming for an ill advised company off-site (we work together) that we're being forced to go to. There will be 30-40 people there, which raises the chance someone is infectious to 22ish %. I will definitely be N95'd during the offsite, and won't hang out with anyone past the very first night when people have arrived on their travel day, since having 40 people who have traveled all together in a poorly ventilated office for 8 hours a day for several days sounds like a great way to spread COVID. Still wanted to get a chance to hang out with him before we're in the office though

I wouldn't lose any sleep hanging out with someone in that scenario after a Lucira negative, bad luck is just as likely to wreck you with an n95 seal at the grocery store if not moreso