Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Ace Transmuter posted:

Provocative stuff, truly

it's a game that presents its tepid, mealy takes as cinematically and bombastically as possible and mostly-successfully bluffs the average player into thinking they're profundities, I'll give it that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, the second Dark Souls game Miyazaki worked on was, itself, an elaborate plea to let Dark Souls die and quit making sequels.

Funnily enough, it actually wasn't. People with strong opinions on Souls games like to slam DS2 for being the B-Team game and that's because Miyazaki handed it off to another team. He was actually working on Bloodborne at the time.

So, perhaps there were people languishing in the poison swamp factory. Perhaps they needed more antidotes. Not Hidetaka Miyazaki, he just built different.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
they’re referring to dark souls 3

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The Chairman posted:

it's a game that presents its tepid, mealy takes as cinematically and bombastically as possible and mostly-successfully bluffs the average player into thinking they're profundities, I'll give it that

I just enjoyed the cinematics and bombastics since I am not about to go look for deep meaning in a shooter :shrug:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

they’re referring to dark souls 3

Oh. Yeah huh.

Well, he definitely reaffirmed his love for poison swamps in Elden Ring, the sequel to DS2.

OddObserver posted:

I just enjoyed the cinematics and bombastics since I am not about to go look for deep meaning in a shooter :shrug:

Good, because Bioshock Infinite does not deserve it.

It's also a very mid shooter but some people were into it. The rail grinding bits were decent.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Runa posted:

The Rosencrantz and Guildenstern reading is very clever though, much more than Bioshock Infinite deserves, so kudos to that.

Wonder if there was a writer at 2k quietly begging for help. Considering they were working for Ken Levine, it's entirely possible.

I mean, someone must have at least been a fan of the play/film, because while the coin flip might have been unintentional on its own, the coin flip and the Luteces playing badminton in the background later on, paired with all their meandering Greek Chorus dialogue? But, I'm a huge fan of it, myself, so maybe I'm just eager to see references to it wherever I can. And, I mean, Bioshock is a pretty limited formula, like, even good games based on it (like the Prey reboot and literally nothing else) end up feeling like the same thing in a slightly different location, with Mad Libs-style replacements of some key words. If not fatigue, someone might have just been critical of the sheer pointlessness of the formulaic sequels.

Also the one good thing I will say about Bioshock Infinite is that the genre-shifted licensed songs were actually really cool and are the one thing from the game that have stuck with me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

honestly I can’t wait to see what the swamp is going to be in the elden ring expansion. maybe it will finally inflict the sleep status effect?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Probably the last thing I will say about G Gundam Cross Rays, if you have seen any of the series it covers you might want to give it a try.

It is really funny watching the devs have to cram 50 episodes of a Gundam series into 9 or less maps. If you haven’t seen the series in question it just doesn’t really make a ton of sense, but if you have you can almost feel the frustration of the writer remembering there are like 4 characters they haven’t introduced yet because they were in episodes of the show that aren’t explicitly covered in the maps they chose and they want to send it home in 10 min or less of dialogue.

Edit: Also them including the Lacus Clyne Zaku from Seed Destiny and all its animations rule.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 29, 2024

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
playing through etrian in shorts burts, they should totally do a dungeon meshi etrian

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i would love for the anime to be popular enough that a non-mobile dungeon meshi game materializes. you could make it anything and i'll play it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

playing through etrian in shorts burts, they should totally do a dungeon meshi etrian

if you jsut name everyone after the cast of meshi you can have one already

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Looper posted:

i would love for the anime to be popular enough that a non-mobile dungeon meshi game materializes. you could make it anything and i'll play it

seems like it would be hard to translate to a videogame since outside of the cooking gimmick and the focus on believable ecosystems its fairly generic fantasy

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Endorph posted:

if you jsut name everyone after the cast of meshi you can have one already

not enough a focus on eating, although dragons dogma 2 does a bit more

babypolis posted:

seems like it would be hard to translate to a videogame since outside of the cooking gimmick and the focus on believable ecosystems its fairly generic fantasy

copy the ff15 camp mechanic

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

you can always try nippon ichi's monster menu the scavenger's cookbook

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, in Eiyuden Chronicles, does anyone know if the tool shop in Athrabalt changes inventory at some point or something? I keep trying and they won't give up their Steamed Bread recipe, and the only other time that's happened was with the rare items in Eltisweiss, where the items won't ever show up until later in the game when the shop inventory changes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Looper posted:

how can one man have his life figured out this loving much

He doesn't live in a capitalist society

Edit: they've already got dungeon cooking games....I don't think any of them are particularly good though. Hopefully Dungeon Meshi's success allows one with a budget.

Also, been eyeing Sand Land, and an anime for it came out that looks neat (watched the first EP). But I keep hearing the game is a retelling of the anime/manga. Can someone elaborate on that? Looks like it has the prince, old guy and sheriff together but is everything else the same or is it just a really similar story? Is it worth watching the anime if I plan on playing the game?

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 29, 2024

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, in Eiyuden Chronicles, does anyone know if the tool shop in Athrabalt changes inventory at some point or something? I keep trying and they won't give up their Steamed Bread recipe, and the only other time that's happened was with the rare items in Eltisweiss, where the items won't ever show up until later in the game when the shop inventory changes.

I've got a clear file and it sells three types of healing herbs, revival medicine, paralysis cure, and return runeshards. Which, IIRC, is what it had first time, so I'm going to guess it doesn't change inventory. Might still be a case of event flags, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

EclecticTastes posted:

I mean, someone must have at least been a fan of the play/film, because while the coin flip might have been unintentional on its own, the coin flip and the Luteces playing badminton in the background later on, paired with all their meandering Greek Chorus dialogue? But, I'm a huge fan of it, myself, so maybe I'm just eager to see references to it wherever I can. And, I mean, Bioshock is a pretty limited formula, like, even good games based on it (like the Prey reboot and literally nothing else) end up feeling like the same thing in a slightly different location, with Mad Libs-style replacements of some key words. If not fatigue, someone might have just been critical of the sheer pointlessness of the formulaic sequels.

Also the one good thing I will say about Bioshock Infinite is that the genre-shifted licensed songs were actually really cool and are the one thing from the game that have stuck with me.

i would not call prey based on bioshock in any way other than the surface level idea of a game set in a spooky run down technofuture place. bioshock is barely even based on system shock, which is where prey's design dna actually comes from. the reason bioshock sucks, is because it has no interest in doing anything interesting with the system shock level structure, it's a much less reactive or dynamic game and it didn't try to reform system shock 2's rpg ideas into something that works the way prey did so at its best it's an okay xbox shooter with a kind of neat level structure. i agree you can't do anything interesting anymore with bioshock's premise but i agree because bioshock has absolutely zero will to experiment with the mechanics and ideas of the games it's tentatively built off of. there's no reason not to make more games like system shock outside of development costs. it's a game structure you can freely experiment with and iterate on. bioshock being dead, is fine, because bioshock was not building to much of anything

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also yeah knowing the dev circumstances around bioshock infinite is not a social media thing that is. literally just that ken levine is very open about being an ultra perfectionist. he clearly wants to operate like some kind of gaming hitchcock so he copied the part where hitchcock was an ultra perfectionist and doesn't understand how this approach that was trying for the creation of film is literally untenable for making a video game. bioshock infinite took an absurd amount of time to make because ken levine literally can't look at materials for a game that are still being worked on and not judge them on the same level as something that's supposed to be fully finished and polished up.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Looper posted:

There's a darkest dungeon mod

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=3130060537

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

The encounter with various flavors of "hellhounde" was a pretty noticeable difficulty spike in Lost Eidolons. The rotating weaknesses aren't going to necessarily be easy to pierce, and they don't give you terrain that makes it easy to exploit them being multi-square enemies. Still, I got the tutorial about class changing afterwards, so I imagine it is aimed at being a bit of a wake-up call.

I've played a dozen or so hours of Eiyuden: Hundred Heroes, and it's charming, but also quite sloggy. I'm autobattling almost every fight, since healing items or healing magic are extremely affordable at this point in the game. I don't really mind if my party doesn't use herbs efficiently, since they are making more money that they consume. I'm really wishing for the quality of life you got emulating Suikoden in a format that would let you speed things up 4x or 8x times normal. Still, as long as I treat it as a podcast game outside of dialogue, Eiyuden is a pretty decent time. The frustration of fights taking a tediously long time made getting ahead of the XP curve to speed things up quite satisfying. A bit of fun gamefaqs-era nostalgia in digging up the Bounty Hill exploit after that first duel.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Honest Thief posted:

not enough a focus on eating, although dragons dogma 2 does a bit more

copy the ff15 camp mechanic

Etrian Untold 2 has a whole restaurant you collect recipes and ingredients for and everything!

Dragon's Dogma 2 does virtually nothing with food beyond having funny real FMVs of meat cooking, of which there's like three videos because there's almost no food variety.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Potato Flowers in Full Bloom is the Dungeon Meshiest videogame because it’s a grounded dungeon crawler that puts thought into the economics of dungeon crawling and how the people involved make a living.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Morpheus posted:

Also, been eyeing Sand Land, and an anime for it came out that looks neat (watched the first EP). But I keep hearing the game is a retelling of the anime/manga. Can someone elaborate on that? Looks like it has the prince, old guy and sheriff together but is everything else the same or is it just a really similar story? Is it worth watching the anime if I plan on playing the game?

It’s the same story retold as an open world action RPG, with all the changes in presentation, pacing, and length that implies. Same protagonists, but a bigger supporting cast. The original is a one volume manga. The anime show is itself a longer cut of an earlier movie adaptation, with a wholly new arc afterwards (imo it’s worse, and the whole premise kind of undermines what I liked about the setting, but it’s not awful). The game features both arcs.

I’d love to be playing it right now, but I can’t afford to be buying full price games atm.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sandland the game at least changes things up significantly from the manga. It introduces a Bulma-like character who is there from basically the start and pretty notably changes the dynamic of the cast.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In the show she’s introduced in the new arc, and is pivotal to it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, the second Dark Souls game Miyazaki worked on was, itself, an elaborate plea to let Dark Souls die and quit making sequels.

The real question is, was the ending of the third Danganronpa game a love letter to the fandom, or hate mail?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Quackles posted:

The real question is, was the ending of the third Danganronpa game a love letter to the fandom, or hate mail?

Didn't Kodaka leave Spike Chunsoft after DRV3? It seems more like the primary author's attempt to definitively end the series before it could be taken up by another writer who might not match his vision of what it was supposed to be. Which is why the ending is about how any long-running series inevitably accumulates too many entries and gradually drifts away from its original central ideas, and therefore should eventually be given a proper and permanent end.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

it's a positive ending to all that properly understood it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i don't think there are all that many stories which have an openly adversarial relationship with their audience, certainly not as many as gamers seem to want

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

V3's ending is perfect.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quackles posted:

I don't think you can look at the end of that trial and basically everything afterwards and conclude it's "hate mail"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

V3's ending is perfect.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quackles posted:

i think needing it to be one or the other in a binary sense is what the game is criticizing and commenting on more than the fact that there were previous video games people liked

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah the only definitive sentiment of v3's ending, is that there doesn't need to be more danganronpa. it's not saying anything negative about the fact that people liked danganronpa just that the series was already spinning out of control and it'd be best to stop here while they still had an okay grasp of what was fun about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'was it a love letter or hate mail.' come on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNxBgTCQjP0

heres a cool fanmade v3 music video

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the most negative thing you could read into danganronpa v3 is that it visibly thinks the Danganronpa Lore that had built up was kind of unnecessary and not meaningfully connected to why people liked it. but it doesn't actively poo poo on it it just, detaches itself from it

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

So, I bought Reverse Collapse: Code Name Bakery since people are saying interesting stuff about it on RPG thread. Immediately texted a tactics RPG buddy, told them "hey, you like fiery emblems. How about a game made by people whose favorite level in Path of Radiance was the stealth mission in prison." Gonna be kinda fun contrasting this with the friction points of Lost Eidolons, I think

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

yeah the only definitive sentiment of v3's ending, is that there doesn't need to be more danganronpa. it's not saying anything negative about the fact that people liked danganronpa just that the series was already spinning out of control and it'd be best to stop here while they still had an okay grasp of what was fun about it.
i think also it was commentating on like, the fact that dangan ronpa existing was more a topic of discussion than the individual dangan ronpas itself. dangan ronpa had evolved into something beyond whatever kodaka was doing. the '59th dangan ronpa' stuff is pretty clearly a reference to like, fangames, roleplay, fanfic, etc. i took the ending as like, a celebration of that stuff, but also a sort of freeing statement. all of them dont have to be chained to the concept of Dangan Ronpa. they can go beyond it. you are all free now

The Colonel posted:

the most negative thing you could read into danganronpa v3 is that it visibly thinks the Danganronpa Lore that had built up was kind of unnecessary and not meaningfully connected to why people liked it. but it doesn't actively poo poo on it it just, detaches itself from it
i think this also sort of ties into what i mean. 'dangan ronpa' is a made up concept that people are turning into whatever direction they want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i hope some of those random korean danganronpa fangames get tl'd sometime some of them have good char designs

love puzzle man