Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justin Blade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Endorph posted:

'was it a love letter or hate mail.' come on

To be fair, I was admittedly kinda hurling the apple of discord into the thread there. :smug:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

avoraciopoctules posted:

So, I bought Reverse Collapse: Code Name Bakery since people are saying interesting stuff about it on RPG thread. Immediately texted a tactics RPG buddy, told them "hey, you like fiery emblems. How about a game made by people whose favorite level in Path of Radiance was the stealth mission in prison." Gonna be kinda fun contrasting this with the friction points of Lost Eidolons, I think

There's a level that's a Metal Gear Solid homage even moreso than the rest of the game, complete with cardboard box stealth

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best part of the girls frontline mobile game its a spinoff of is the level where they desperately try to make a cool bike chase happen in their chibi flash game artstyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4rhAHC-ZuA

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Endorph posted:

the best part of the girls frontline mobile game its a spinoff of is the level where they desperately try to make a cool bike chase happen in their chibi flash game artstyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4rhAHC-ZuA

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Looper posted:

i would love for the anime to be popular enough that a non-mobile dungeon meshi game materializes. you could make it anything and i'll play it

Arknights-Dungeon Meshi is awesome, actually.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Looper posted:

i would love for the anime to be popular enough that a non-mobile dungeon meshi game materializes. you could make it anything and i'll play it

half wizardy, half battle chef brigade

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

After watching a 'ps1 hidden gems' video I decided to try out Thousand Arms.

Wtf I've never been filtered so hard off a game in my life. It can't even compose itself for like one scene without the writing taking an incel nose dive.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 12 days!)

sometimes i check some the characters you can recruit in Eiyuden to see if they're worth looking for.
i guess the actual story characters are just suppose to be above a bunch of others.
Cause I'm seeing these early characters with like 4 or so rune slots max. And I click around randomly on a listing of characters on a portrait that looks cool and some of them have like 6-7 and like epic slots and stuff. Like I don't know if the lower rune slot characters have extra raw stats to make up for it. But I doubt the game went out of its way to strike that balance.

Other than that, I'm liking the more relaxing old school game feel, and the old style resource management even if the MP resource is so overprice. I'm just playing pretending that i'm booting up some PS2 game or one of the 2000's PC rpgs out there,

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
thousand arms has some fun jokes, like the one about a household knife that has come to life and is upset because it's only ever used for opening tv dinner packages

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hell yea, upgraded the castle town to lvl 2 and the build tree got a bunch of new options, i love to see this

i also reached the split storyline part. it sounds like the seign part is a bit of a marathon so maybe I should get it over with immediately so I can get back to my usual ally-finding grind

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i would not call thousand arms' writing an incel nose dive. i would however, call it definitely an rpg made for people who really like 90s adventure shonen gag comedy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jimlit posted:

After watching a 'ps1 hidden gems' video I decided to try out Thousand Arms.

Wtf I've never been filtered so hard off a game in my life. It can't even compose itself for like one scene without the writing taking an incel nose dive.
its just a 90s harem romcom lol. its a bit goofy but 'incel' is a bit much

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

GateOfD posted:

sometimes i check some the characters you can recruit in Eiyuden to see if they're worth looking for.
i guess the actual story characters are just suppose to be above a bunch of others.
Cause I'm seeing these early characters with like 4 or so rune slots max. And I click around randomly on a listing of characters on a portrait that looks cool and some of them have like 6-7 and like epic slots and stuff. Like I don't know if the lower rune slot characters have extra raw stats to make up for it. But I doubt the game went out of its way to strike that balance.

Some characters, like Iugo and Falward, have insane stats but unimpressive runes, but overall there's no apparent rhyme or reason, and a huge portion of the cast is unusably bad, including most of the story characters (including literally everyone from Seign's route split, as well as Seign himself). And some characters, like Isha, have utterly busted stats and phenomenal runes.

I've been taking notes on the playable characters as I go, a bit stream-of-consciousness, but I could clean them up and make them available as a Google doc, if anyone's interested.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I did it, I played enough beigoma to recruit Reid and Im never touching this cursed minigame again. The card game in this isnt very good and the first fight of it is bar none the hardest one to win but at least its a game instead of this beigoma garbage.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GateOfD posted:

Other than that, I'm liking the more relaxing old school game feel, and the old style resource management even if the MP resource is so overprice. I'm just playing pretending that i'm booting up some PS2 game or one of the 2000's PC rpgs out there,

Like EleclecticTastes said, most of the chars you get automatically through the story are kinda bad. All the best ones are optional.

EclecticTastes posted:

Some characters, like Iugo and Falward, have insane stats but unimpressive runes, but overall there's no apparent rhyme or reason, and a huge portion of the cast is unusably bad, including most of the story characters (including literally everyone from Seign's route split, as well as Seign himself). And some characters, like Isha, have utterly busted stats and phenomenal runes.

I've been taking notes on the playable characters as I go, a bit stream-of-consciousness, but I could clean them up and make them available as a Google doc, if anyone's interested.

It's almost comical that one of the best chars in the game, Lam, was bugged to be unrecruitable if you talked to her before having another char.

Barudak posted:

I did it, I played enough beigoma to recruit Reid and Im never touching this cursed minigame again. The card game in this isnt very good and the first fight of it is bar none the hardest one to win but at least its a game instead of this beigoma garbage.

I wish the card game and beigoma were swapped ie all the beigoma battles were replaced with the card game ones. Beigoma is a bad minigame. On the same tier as the cooking minigame.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

EclecticTastes posted:

The story of Bioshock Infinite was "Stop making me make Bioshock sequels, they're the exact same cookie cutter formula every time."

the first game he makes after bioshock infinite is bioshock infinite in space

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wish the card game and beigoma were swapped ie all the beigoma battles were replaced with the card game ones. Beigoma is a bad minigame. On the same tier as the cooking minigame.

You need to play like two rounds of the mediocre card game to get its two characters but like 17 goddamn rounds of cooking and like 30 beigoma fights to get their characters as though those minigames even clear the hurdle of "being a game"

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I think we're due for another bioshock so it's cool judas is coming out

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

God drat it, Hurstwine. I already kicked your rear end in Rising and now you're forcing me to do it again but with like 100 more people.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Barudak posted:

You need to play like two rounds of the mediocre card game to get its two characters but like 17 goddamn rounds of cooking and like 30 beigoma fights to get their characters as though those minigames even clear the hurdle of "being a game"

Eiyuden definitely wastes your time in a lot of ways (if you want to do everything). I doubt I'll platinum it, tbh. No cutscene skip, lots of loading screens, timers, etc just make it a bit too tedious to do every single thing IMO. At least for me.

The main game itself is great fun but the minigames are not my jam.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

All the MP costs in Eiyuden need to be cut in half for what they do, and how long dungeons are.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Levantine posted:

Eiyuden definitely wastes your time in a lot of ways (if you want to do everything). I doubt I'll platinum it, tbh. No cutscene skip, lots of loading screens, timers, etc just make it a bit too tedious to do every single thing IMO. At least for me.

The main game itself is great fun but the minigames are not my jam.

You can skip cutscenes by holding circle on the ps controller / B on the xbox / A on the switch.

Though there isn't a cutscene skip for the war battle scenes(you can skip the dialogue scenes) or very long duel animations when you use a break attack.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You can skip cutscenes by holding circle on the ps controller / B on the xbox / A on the switch.

Though there isn't a cutscene skip for the war battle scenes or very long duel animations when you use a break attack.

I wasn't aware of this skip, thanks! I'm done with the game now and definitely got out what of it what I wanted, but that's good info.

Overall I'm jazzed for a potential sequel but I do hope they iterate on some system in a more modern way.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Levantine posted:

No cutscene skip

This I hadn't noticed but it's actually kind of funny considering Rising did have them.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I'm just waiting here, wondering why I can't buy front mission 2 on the psn store. Is it up for sale yet on steam or Xbox?

Jk it weirdly just went up.

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 30, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

EclecticTastes posted:

Isha is absolutely brokenly powerful. But (at least for me at about 40 hours in) Garr and Lien are still very good. Garr because he's basically unkillable and Lien because her unique rune hits very hard.

https://eiyuden.wiki.gg/wiki/Recruitment_guide#Guide I've been using this as my guide, it's mostly correct. Can be a little off (like the directions it gives are often wank) but it's still let me get who I need to get. Just like in the real suikoden games there's so many characters that you FEEL like should be good but they're total shite.
I'd definitely rate the game a 7 - too much stuff is broken and magic is mostly too weak for me to fully recommend it. But if you liked Suikoden then you'll 100% like this. It's definitely better than 3, probably in the same realm as 1 but not as good as 2. Partly this is because I far and away prefer the way runes work in Suikoden. They're very boring here.

I also find it quite hard to fit runes to people. People have empty slots because it requires a passive and going from town to town to find them is boring to me. But at the same time it doesn't really feel like it matters!

Kinda feel like we need a thread for it but I simply don't have the skill to make an OP myself

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 30, 2024

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://x.com/aitaikimochi/status/1785248094449512775?s=46&t=Zc5wlNqqC8OnfIazmiVD-g

guess there goes that dream

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Here’s the full story:
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/square-enix-looks-to-have-cancelled-games-stating-it-will-be-more-selective-in-future/

Speculation is that FF7: Rebirth sales were weak. (If there was a PS4 version I probably would have tried it although I didn’t really like part 1)

It’s clear what needs to be done to save SE:
Turn or gambit based FF.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TheMightyBoops posted:

Here’s the full story:
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/square-enix-looks-to-have-cancelled-games-stating-it-will-be-more-selective-in-future/

Speculation is that FF7: Rebirth sales were weak. (If there was a PS4 version I probably would have tried it although I didn’t really like part 1)

Turn or gambit based FF.

why would it be tied to ff7r's sales and not foamstars or forspoken, the two high profile failures they just put out. ff7r's exclusivity was paid for by sony, square enix did not just throw it on ps5 expecting it to sell as well as a multiplatform game

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The Colonel posted:

why would it be tied to ff7r's sales and not foamstars or forspoken, the two high profile failures they just put out. ff7r's exclusivity was paid for by sony, square enix did not just throw it on ps5 expecting it to sell as well as a multiplatform game

That’s just what the article says idk.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Colonel posted:

I was about to say, I was pretty sure Sony fronted the money for the entire production of Rebirth hoping it would move PS5s, for which sales of that console have slowed way down.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

no forspoken 2?????????

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheMightyBoops posted:

Turn or gambit based FF.

Final Fantasy Tactics x Unicorn Overlord will save SE.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm guessing they had some ideas similar to Star Ocean 2 Remake in pre-production with plans to outsource the actual work.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics x Unicorn Overlord will save SE.

I can’t imagine it’d be that hard to at least drop WOTL on non mobile platforms. Idk how much money it’d make I guess, but I’d play it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rascyc posted:

I'm guessing they had some ideas similar to Star Ocean 2 Remake in pre-production with plans to outsource the actual work.

I wonder if the Dragon Quest 3 remake is canceled now?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TheMightyBoops posted:

That’s just what the article says idk.

thats contextless information they're taking from a random tweet! the same guy notes that the ps5's install base is way lower than the ps4's was when ff7r1 came out too, they just didnt include that in this article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I have to imagine that "be more careful about which IPs to invest in" means "don't invest in unproven IPs no one cares about" rather than "don't invest in our flagship IP that's kept us alive all these years."