Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Does Hitman 3 really add anything more to the game that makes it worth upgrading from just having the second game(that I have hardly scratched at yet)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

Does Hitman 3 really add anything more to the game that makes it worth upgrading from just having the second game(that I have hardly scratched at yet)?

It's a new set of maps which is the main draw, some of them are overall the best in the trilogy. But if you're not even done with the second then there's no real rush.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Deakul posted:

It does have some of the coolest maps in the series (Berlin is my candidate for best in the entire trilogy), and then there's Freelance mode, which is a fun roguelite remix of levels that doesn't punish you for going loud.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deakul posted:

Not much at all really.
Only the best gamemode in the whole series and some of the coolest maps they've ever made.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hitman Freelancer ...

... It's a really difficult mode and meant for people who know these maps very well

Just wanna say that I have 237 hours in Hitman and they are almost exclusively in Freelancer. You can learn the maps while you play so long as you are prepared to eat a lot of stupid deaths as you discover how the game's systems work.

I have zero interest in the game's story, but I still get the urge to spin up Freelancer every couple of months. Not playing under the restrictions of Silent Assassin is liberating. Figuring out the perfect angle to take out your target(s) and get away with it is extremely satisfying.

Here's some clips that I posted in the Hitman thread.

https://i.imgur.com/hjCcYUZ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/6kfPCIj.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/YCTZDIg.mp4

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 29, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I am one of those who have bought and played and loved Hitman 1 and 2 but don't understand what I'm supposed to do if I want to play Hitman 3 without re-purchasing a bunch of stuff I already own :confused:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Edit the first post with how to get Hitman and which controller to buy

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

credburn posted:

I am one of those who have bought and played and loved Hitman 1 and 2 but don't understand what I'm supposed to do if I want to play Hitman 3 without re-purchasing a bunch of stuff I already own :confused:

Buy either the standard or deluxe edition whenever they go back on sale:

You will wind up purchasing Hitman 1/2 while doing this, but think of them as free bonus content for your new game, as (afaik) there is no way to purchase Hitman 3 maps without getting H1-2 maps too. Yes, this is stupid. I'm sorry.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

credburn posted:

The answer is: get hosed.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Jack Trades posted:

The answer is: get hosed.

Or just spend the money on WOA and move on with your life

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Everspace 2 has launched their big Incursions update, changing the whole rear end game engine from UE4 to UE5 and adding a bunch of ship cosmetics, legendaries, a new Scout ult, and more stuff to do in the post-game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2865440/FRONT_MISSION_2_Remake/
Second Front Mission coming soon and it may be bundled with FM1 if you order from there.

$20 bundle for Front Mission 1.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2399730/FRONT_MISSION_1st_Remake/

I only played a translation of the SNES Front Mission, so I can't speak for the remakes. The third is also being remade next year.

edit: links for both games

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 29, 2024

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Second Front Mission coming soon and it may be bundled with FM1 if you order from there. $20 bundle for Front Mission 1.

I only played a translation of the SNES Front Mission, so I can't speak for the remakes. The third is also being remade next year.

Should I start with the SNES translation or the remake?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hwurmp posted:

Everspace 2 has launched their big Incursions update, changing the whole rear end game engine from UE4 to UE5 and adding a bunch of ship cosmetics, legendaries, a new Scout ult, and more stuff to do in the post-game.

Thanks for the heads up. I kinda bounced off this when it came out but it's on gamepass and I'm gonna give it another try I think.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Second Front Mission coming soon and it may be bundled with FM1 if you order from there. $20 bundle for Front Mission 1.

I really don’t understand what this post is trying to say.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hwurmp posted:

ooooo thanks for this headsup

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hwurmp posted:

This has been on my list for a long time now. Seems like a good time to jump in, assuming the upgrade doesn’t cause too many problems.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

FutureCop posted:

Was curious, how do people like playing the Hitman games? I'm always a bit torn on how to approach them.

On one hand, I certainly like the various coded 'opportunities' that you can follow to take out a target as they can be quite the spectacle to see unfold and they deliver the most story and pathos, but at the same time, I feel like sometimes they are a bit too overly scripted where I'm not actually doing anything significant: I just follow the guide and it all plays out by itself (ok, you do still have to sneak around and stuff but still).

On the other hand, if I try to do it without a guide, it can be tricky to do so: a lot of opportunities can be very confusing in the way they require you to act where the steps aren't obvious at all without overt non-diegetic guidance. It also feels very difficult to kill them in any other way but the scripted ways as those always lead into an ideal situation where they have no guard, so it's like, well, if it's the most optimal I may as well follow the guide since everything feels inelegant and sloppy otherwise.

Basically I feel like the levels can turn into a sandbox or a theme park depending on your approach, with both of them being fun but also both having their downsides and infecting each other.

Typically when I first go into a mission, I do it completely guideless: sometimes I will organically luck into an opportunity and maybe end up going all the way through with it, but other than that I will just try and improvise something as best I can, be it sniping them, dropping a chandelier on them, poison, wire, whatever works in the heat of the moment. After completing it once that way, I will then follow opportunities and see how they play out until I'm satisfied enough to move on to the next level.

I haven't played it in awhile, but I was thinking of doing some sort of roleplay Golgo-13 where I always need to setup some sort of snipe to get the target.
imo the absolute best way is to just play without a 'guide' - the scripted mission stories are there to do exactly that for you by walking you through how to approach a specific kill opportunity and along the way teach you what costume will get you through certain spaces and how to move targets around the map, or introduce you to npcs talking about things you can affect. they are very theme-parky in the way they'll almost always end in an isolated target, but they also give you ideas to take back to the freeform sandbox solutions you can come up with.

i think it's a remarkably robust game in that regard - the sandbox design of the levels really starts to shine as you finish more and more content and start to make your own challenges, like getting a snipe on every target. i've done like 95% of the challenge content in the game but i'm still going back to do my own stuff, having just completed a silent assassin run through the entire game using nothing but guns just because at the back of my head i thought it was possible and hadn't seen anybody do it.

one of the best things about hitman is watching other people play it and discovering a completely new thing you've never tried before because the levels are just that layered you can have 300 hours in the game and someone will use a drainpipe you've never even noticed to more easily access a building.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
https://twitter.com/Blurbstv/status/1784756008499200335

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

In Hitman I like to start just exploring and absorbing the map. Just get into all the nooks and crannies, observe some of the guards and special areas and watch the targets if I can get close enough. I'll end up killing them some easy way and then go through each of the stories because they show you a bunch of custom triggers you can use to manipulate behavior and set up shenanigans. Then I do Silent Assassin Suit Only and then I do Masteries until I unlock the most interesting stuff before moving onto the next map. Once I finish a season I start it over again from the beginning just to experience it coherently. Then I do all the Masteries.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I like the Hitman levels that take place during a big party because then I just walk around the party and stand on the periphery of conversations listening in, just like a real party.

Also just like a real party at some point I dress up like the staff and start opening doors in the back

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 29, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Squiggle posted:

Also just like a real party at some point I dress up like the staff and start opening doors in the back

Can you have sex in the walk-in?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

You can put a few bodies on top of each other in the cooler in the walk-in, that's basically sex

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

MarcusSA posted:

I really don’t understand what this post is trying to say.
Front Mission 1 may be bundled with Front Mission 2. I forgot to add that link. Oops.

You can only buy FM1 in a bundle, but I don't see any other stuff bundled with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Front Mission 1 may be bundled with Front Mission 2. I forgot to add that link. Oops.

You can only buy FM1 in a bundle, but I don't see any other stuff bundled with it.

Got it! Well I bought FM1 anyway because it was cheap.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

N’wah will see this and just think “hell yeah”

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Been trying out some action roguelikes recently, just playing them for around 2 hours:

Little Noah: Scion of Paradise

This one's a pretty cute game with art and vibes very reminiscent of Granblue, Bravely Default and Fuga. The main draw is that the combat involves you not attacking yourself (except for your ultra move and a homing dash), instead summoning multiple allies one-by-one in a combo to do their slashes or fireballs or uppercuts and so on akin to Ender Lillies, leading to a fun bit of improvization as you try to craft the perfect sequence based on what summons you get. Overall the game is a bit simple, almost like a phone game, but it feels very smooth, polished, intuitive and fun despite that. Can also be surprisingly challenging: I put the game on hard and you can end up dying in just a few hits, so good evasion and patience is key.

Downsides are that, as said, it is a bit of a simple game, both in terms of the story so far being quite basic, metaprogression being a very standard affair of unlocking potions and passives, and lacking some of the more depth and complexities of other combat systems. Worse part is the loot: apart from the summons which are fun and unique, the accessories and crystals you get in dungeons are pretty lame, being mostly boring passives like fire/ice/wind resistance instead of the more fun passives that make you shoot lightning when you dash or whatever as seen in other games.

Currently $5.

Oblivion Override

This ones pretty much a Chinese Dead Cells clone with a mecha flavor. As derivative as that is, it stands out with how fast, smooth and unrestricted the gameplay and combat can be: from the very beginning you can zip around like a ninja with double jumps, fast-fall slams, wall-runs and so on, all while slicing and dicing enemies with loads of crazy attack combos and special moves. Enemies are very fast-paced as well to keep you on your toes and the bosses can be quite the spectacle. The evolution system is also pretty neat, giving you all sorts of crazy passives and synergies to work with as you go through a run, and there are plenty of mecha characters to choose from, all with their own neat abilities.

Downside is that if you're looking for a story, well, that's going to be tricky: not only is it really fragmented and difficult to piece together on its own, but the translation seems pretty terrible as well, turning comprehension into an impossible task. Also as nice as the combat can be, it can maybe be too speedy for its own good with every boss feeling like two Foxes fighting in Final Destination: even the big lumbering bosses do loads of split-second teleport/home-right-to-your-position "a test of your reflexes" attacks.

Currently $12.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

FutureCop posted:

Been trying out some action roguelikes recently, just playing them for around 2 hours:

Little Noah: Scion of Paradise

This one's a pretty cute game with art and vibes very reminiscent of Granblue, Bravely Default and Fuga. The main draw is that the combat involves you not attacking yourself (except for your ultra move and a homing dash), instead summoning multiple allies one-by-one in a combo to do their slashes or fireballs or uppercuts and so on akin to Ender Lillies, leading to a fun bit of improvization as you try to craft the perfect sequence based on what summons you get. Overall the game is a bit simple, almost like a phone game, but it feels very smooth, polished, intuitive and fun despite that. Can also be surprisingly challenging: I put the game on hard and you can end up dying in just a few hits, so good evasion and patience is key.

Downsides are that, as said, it is a bit of a simple game, both in terms of the story so far being quite basic, metaprogression being a very standard affair of unlocking potions and passives, and lacking some of the more depth and complexities of other combat systems. Worse part is the loot: apart from the summons which are fun and unique, the accessories and crystals you get in dungeons are pretty lame, being mostly boring passives like fire/ice/wind resistance instead of the more fun passives that make you shoot lightning when you dash or whatever as seen in other games.

Currently $5.

Oblivion Override

This ones pretty much a Chinese Dead Cells clone with a mecha flavor. As derivative as that is, it stands out with how fast, smooth and unrestricted the gameplay and combat can be: from the very beginning you can zip around like a ninja with double jumps, fast-fall slams, wall-runs and so on, all while slicing and dicing enemies with loads of crazy attack combos and special moves. Enemies are very fast-paced as well to keep you on your toes and the bosses can be quite the spectacle. The evolution system is also pretty neat, giving you all sorts of crazy passives and synergies to work with as you go through a run, and there are plenty of mecha characters to choose from, all with their own neat abilities.

Downside is that if you're looking for a story, well, that's going to be tricky: not only is it really fragmented and difficult to piece together on its own, but the translation seems pretty terrible as well, turning comprehension into an impossible task. Also as nice as the combat can be, it can maybe be too speedy for its own good with every boss feeling like two Foxes fighting in Final Destination: even the big lumbering bosses do loads of split-second teleport/home-right-to-your-position "a test of your reflexes" attacks.

Currently $12.

Can't speak for the former but I have 20 hours in Oblivion Override and it's great, it also has a pretty cool difficulty setup where it increases enemy variety in the levels as you go up in difficulty. Also there's a decent variety of weapons and playable robots, it's pretty good! An easy 8, 9 if it weren't for the shoddy translation. You should also give Blazblue Entropy Effect a chance if you liked OO.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Azran posted:

Can't speak for the former but I have 20 hours in Oblivion Override and it's great, it also has a pretty cool difficulty setup where it increases enemy variety in the levels as you go up in difficulty. Also there's a decent variety of weapons and playable robots, it's pretty good! An easy 8, 9 if it weren't for the shoddy translation. You should also give Blazblue Entropy Effect a chance if you liked OO.

Oh yeah, definitely gonna stick with Oblivion Override and definitely planning on checking out Blazblue Entropy Effect, Astral Ascent and Spiritfall in due time. Ravenswatch too: tempted to get that since it's also on sale and will probably price increase sometime soon. My favorite is still Curse of the Dead Gods and I'm chasing that high, haha. Scourgebringer and Wizard of Legend were great too. If anyone has any other great action roguelike recommends, I'm down.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Spiritfall and Astral Ascent are very good so you're in for a treat! There's also Skul (couldn't get into it) and either Synthetik 2 or One Step from Eden as much more action-y takes on the genre.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Are there any other games like Saint Row 3, where completing side missions would unlock abilities and upgrades that were basically cheat modes, e.g. how SR would just give you unlimited ammo for certain weapons?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The system of beating minigames / side modes to get upgrades (like infinite ammo cheats or unlocking the chainsaw) was better in saints row 2 than 3 imo
it was really fun though for sure, haven't seen another game like that

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
wait now that I think about it yes i have! collecting the hidden red bricks in the lego star wars games!
I only played the 2007 "Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga" that was based on all 6 pre-disney movies though, looks like they've made three since then including one in 2022

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

cowards

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Total War Warhammer 3 dropped new DLC today: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/39887/Total_War_WARHAMMER_III__Thrones_of_Decay/

This is notable to this thread because they're doing something I've never seen before, they made the DLC modular where you can buy the whole thing for 23$, or you can say "I only want to play as the steampunk dwarfs" and only buy the dwarf part of the DLC for 9$ - and of course the big patch and qol update is free for everyone. This is really consumer friendly and I like it?

Like, to be clear, all of the content of the DLC will still appear in the game as enemy factions, it's only about who you want to play as and buying access to them.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

how generous of them

hate to see the Paradox business model catching on

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Koburn posted:

how generous of them

It's not, though, every single one of those packs (*blood for the blood god aside that one sucks) is a content pack that lets you play as its given lords. Only buy them if you intend to play as them - their stuff is still in the game, you'll still encounter it, you have the full game out of the box. The entire system is designed to be modular so you don't need to own all of it to own all of the gameplay, like paradox.

paradox meanwhile designs their games so you don't have essential systems unless you pay for them.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Koburn posted:

how generous of them

CA deserves as much credit for modern DLC cadences as Paradox. Total War started doing DLC like this with Rome 2 more than 10 years ago, but as Strix said it's fine

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 30, 2024

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah TWW3 expansions are almost 100% “I want the option to play this faction/these units/etc.” You just buy the ones you want. If they release something you don’t want then hey you just get new enemies to fight against for free! I think it’s great, and has allowed the games to be supported for going on a decade now.

StrixNebulosa posted:

paradox meanwhile designs their games so you don't have essential systems unless you pay for them.

FWIW this has been much less of a thing for a good while now. To the extent that some people are upset that there aren’t more unique systems in expansions and the free patches are too generous (which is extremely dumb).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Koburn posted:

how generous of them

Also worth noting that's the DLC for all three games.