Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It is a step above nothing, and even that's tremendous in our lovely propagandized hell.

I admit I still can't fully wrap my head around it though; if you're going to bother wearing a mask at all, why does such a massive plurality insist on wearing them in the wrongest, most uncomfortable ways possible? There seems to be a very weird gap between 'cognizant of the utility of a mask', even it's purely social, and 'the mask is more comfortable and effective if you don't have it on upside down/inside out/hanging off of one strap dug into the underside of your nose'.

I also remain amused by the surprisingly large cohort of people who pull their mask down to cough or sneeze, but I at least 'get' that. They don't wanna gross up the inside of the thing they're wearing around, thoughtless as it may be. But then every now and then you see someone trying to wear headstraps as tied-off earloops with the mask's nosebridge digging into one cheek and it's just like, friend, are you okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Although actually chin totem may be the weirdest mask-wearing habit I've seen a fair amount of. Like, congrats, you've done something uncomfortable and totally ineffectual in the exact perfect way to piss off liberals, chuds, and progressives all alike. Why??? do you think your chin's susceptible to covid

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

can’t wait to see how the Swiss variant holds up against the Swiss cheese model

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Although actually chin totem may be the weirdest mask-wearing habit I've seen a fair amount of. Like, congrats, you've done something uncomfortable and totally ineffectual in the exact perfect way to piss off liberals, chuds, and progressives all alike. Why??? do you think your chin's susceptible to covid

yeah absoluteyl. it's the Joseph Robinette Biden Administration of masking

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

they’re only wearing a mask because they’re sick and they have it under their nose/chin because they don’t really want to wear it

masks are to protect other people

Pitcher Witcher
Jan 13, 2020

I have seen two people in the last month wearing gloves but no mask while shopping

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
As my MIL said about her doctor's office, "I felt safe there, people were wearing gloves."

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Shady Amish Terror posted:

It is a step above nothing, and even that's tremendous in our lovely propagandized hell.

I admit I still can't fully wrap my head around it though; if you're going to bother wearing a mask at all, why does such a massive plurality insist on wearing them in the wrongest, most uncomfortable ways possible?

This was figured out in a previous version of this thread. People are wearing masks like this in case they meet an obviously sick person, in which case they think RED ALERT and pull up the mask to cover their nose. Otherwise wearing a surgical or cloth mask all day is uncomfortable so if no-one around is sick why not breathe comfortably? It's not irrational.

The failure to accurately communicate what "airborne virus" means or to provide high quality comfortable N95s to everyone that wants them is the underlying problem.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I honestly don't know how people wear those cloth or neoprene-ish masks, they're disgusting, clammy, cling to your nose and mouth and feel suffocating, get wet and sodden in minutes, and stink like poo poo at the end of the day.

Yet I still see people wearing them about as often as N95s if not moreso.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've seen several people get on public transport with a surgical mask around their chin and pull it up onto their face after they've walked down the entire carriage to find an empty seat and sat down.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Oldest Man posted:

I honestly don't know how people wear those cloth or neoprene-ish masks, they're disgusting, clammy, cling to your nose and mouth and feel suffocating, get wet and sodden in minutes, and stink like poo poo at the end of the day.

Yet I still see people wearing them about as often as N95s if not moreso.

I’ve had people furiously defend their lovely masks in the face of any of my obsessively hoarded cache of n95s or elastomerics that don’t fit me. not even just a little “nah I’m good”, like they get mad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tuyop posted:

I’ve had people furiously defend their lovely masks in the face of any of my obsessively hoarded cache of n95s or elastomerics that don’t fit me. not even just a little “nah I’m good”, like they get mad.

It’s disrespectful of you to argue with medical professionals.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tuyop posted:

people hate a proselytizer. look, know, and move on

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fur20 posted:

people hate a proselytizer. look, know, and move on

I mean lol at the idea that I would ever talk to a normie about reality at all at this point.

but in these interactions, I don’t think I’m proselytizing. it’s like, “oh man are you uncomfortable in that cloth/surgical? would you like one of these N95s? they’re surprisingly comfortable and I have literally dozens in my car.”

and the reaction is like mild outrage lol

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

tuyop posted:

I mean lol at the idea that I would ever talk to a normie about reality at all at this point.

but in these interactions, I don’t think I’m proselytizing. it’s like, “oh man are you uncomfortable in that cloth/surgical? would you like one of these N95s? they’re surprisingly comfortable and I have literally dozens in my car.”

and the reaction is like mild outrage lol

It probably does get frustrating having people be like, "Isn't that uncomfortable!?" trying to get them to stop masking and then having someone say something similar to get them to mask up more lol.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
https://twitter.com/nikstankovic_/status/1785324216138514843

Avian cow flu outbreak in Texas

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
oh yeah we’re not going to do jack poo poo

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Lost my place in the thread but anyway, boost juice acquired with zero hassle or questions. Apparently now it just has to be 4 months since your last dose, so I didn’t realize, but I could have been honest. (I’m over 5 months, but moved up this dose a little because of the rumors Novavax would be expiring.)

Anyone know what’s up with that change? Are people really aboveboard-ly getting it 3x/year?

(eta: zero copay but obviously it was my first dose of the year. We’ll see in the fall)

Anne Whateley has issued a correction as of 23:55 on Apr 30, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Lost my place in the thread but anyway, boost juice acquired with zero hassle or questions. Apparently now it just has to be 4 months since your last dose, so I didn’t realize, but I could have been honest. (I’m over 5 months, but moved up this dose a little because of the rumors Novavax would be expiring.)

Anyone know what’s up with that change? Are people really aboveboard-ly getting it 3x/year?

(eta: zero copay but obviously it was my first dose of the year. We’ll see in the fall)

i think that's only for olds and only for this most recent shot, once?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

covid definitely started in America and not China lol.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think that the idea with the four months is that people are expected to get two (or zero lmao) doses per year. There’s just some margin baked in so that getting one shot a little late doesn’t screw up the timeline of when they can get their next dose.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I mean in that cdc announcement the other day, they did confirmed that the rapid rise of influenza A in three wastewater site is from the bird flu. They go on to announce that two of the wastewater site is linked to a sewer system where the farmers had permission to dump their waste milk.

But they never said anything about why the third waste water site was seeing a huge rise too :thunk:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

The Oldest Man posted:

i think that's only for olds and only for this most recent shot, once?
I thought for my last one last fall, they were saying 6 months, but I could totally be wrong. The literature I saw today didn’t say anything about an age distinction (I’m obviously not an old fwiw)

Platystemon posted:

I think that the idea with the four months is that people are expected to get two (or zero lmao) doses per year. There’s just some margin baked in so that getting one shot a little late doesn’t screw up the timeline of when they can get their next dose.
That makes sense since it’s exactly what I did lol. Very thoughtful

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Welp, good news/bad news.

Bad news: my formerly COVID-doomer primary care doc has been successfully pod-peopled. He had no problem wearing a mask for me, nor admitting that long COVID was a thing, but he now thinks COVID has mutated to be much less harmful, and is no longer masking at large.

Good news: my fear of long COVID and the religiously adhered to exercise program that fear spawned has me no longer pre-hypertensive! 110/78 baby!

I fully recognize that COVID may append an ironic, "lol thought you'd escaped blood pressure meds?" coda after my next infection, but for now I'll take the win it gave me and take a victory lap with a salty bacon cheeseburger.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Welp, good news/bad news.

Bad news: my formerly COVID-doomer primary care doc has been successfully pod-peopled. He had no problem wearing a mask for me, nor admitting that long COVID was a thing, but he now thinks COVID has mutated to be much less harmful, and is no longer masking at large.

Good news: my fear of long COVID and the religiously adhered to exercise program that fear spawned has me no longer pre-hypertensive! 110/78 baby!

I fully recognize that COVID may append an ironic, "lol thought you'd escaped blood pressure meds?" coda after my next infection, but for now I'll take the win it gave me and take a victory lap with a salty bacon cheeseburger.

good job!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

This was figured out in a previous version of this thread. People are wearing masks like this in case they meet an obviously sick person, in which case they think RED ALERT and pull up the mask to cover their nose. Otherwise wearing a surgical or cloth mask all day is uncomfortable so if no-one around is sick why not breathe comfortably? It's not irrational.

The failure to accurately communicate what "airborne virus" means or to provide high quality comfortable N95s to everyone that wants them is the underlying problem.

Ah, hadn't recalled this discussion. That does make some amount of sense, in a hosed-up hellworld information asymmetry kind of way

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

"IQ's" lmaoooo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7194295/

house flies seem to be able to spread h5n1

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

flies spread disease, so keep yours closed

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

it's crazy to me that they did all this work on this huge project without a word about HOW it could be a transmission risk, how viral particles might even make it into the bloodstream of anything once moved around in fly form. i assume chickens eat flies but could that destroy the virus? the paper doesn't say

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

maxwellhill posted:

it's crazy to me that they did all this work on this huge project without a word about HOW it could be a transmission risk, how viral particles might even make it into the bloodstream of anything once moved around in fly form. i assume chickens eat flies but could that destroy the virus? the paper doesn't say

quote:

However, the actual ability of infected house flies in disseminating the AI H5N1 virus to the chicken has not been determined in this study.

presumably, the spread of disease by the houseflies is via the typical route e.g. (stop eating now) fly lands on food/animal/water source, promptly regurgitates saliva onto said food source/animal/water source, saliva breaks down food into slurpable slurry (flies have no teeth, they just drink) then ingests said slurry, lands in another spot, lather rinse repeat.

Flies are known to drink from eyes/mucous membranes of animals (e.g. snotty noses) as well.

They also defecate often, some speculate every time they land.

The beauty of nature.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I think this is a good plan for Pfizer; sadly price gouging makes it pretty worthless from a public health standpoint, but at least rich people will have easy access :thumbsup:

https://www.ft.com/content/4e7a2bc7-0de7-4948-bfd3-bda210e56c12 posted:

Pfizer plans direct-to-consumer platform for Covid and migraine treatments
US pharma group follows Eli Lilly with website for patients to obtain medication online

Pfizer is developing an online platform for patients to order medicine including anti-Covid drug Paxlovid and a migraine nasal spray, according to people familiar with the matter, in the latest push by drugmakers to cut out industry middlemen and sell straight to consumers.

The website, which is expected to launch later this year, would connect customers in the US with independent telehealth consultants to prescribe the medications, while a drug-dispensing partner would fill and ship the prescriptions, the people said.

The website is part of an effort by pharma companies to sell drugs directly to patients and simplify a system for distributing medication that is facing growing criticism for its complexity. It comes after Eli Lilly, the world’s largest drugmaker by market value, launched a similar platform in an industry first earlier this year.

Pfizer products such as Paxlovid, combined Covid and flu test Lucira, and recently approved migraine nasal spray Zavzpret will be available on the site. Several other migraine medications are also likely to be available to order, to help ease pressure on prescribers amid a shortage of neurologists in the US.
(..)

That last line quoted isn't thread relevant, but lol.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

I think this is a good plan for Pfizer; sadly price gouging makes it pretty worthless from a public health standpoint, but at least rich people will have easy access :thumbsup:

They're the ones who matter, after all. It's their world, we just live here.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Pingui posted:

That last line quoted isn't thread relevant, but lol.

I'm surprised they're going this far, I figured with current levels of open Biden we'd get the level of Pax gatekeeping the rest of the world has.

Guess it's time to start a savings account for antivirals.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

I got hassled pretty hard by Costco in the Seattle area. They checked the state database on my immunizations because they were leaning on wanting me to be over 65 or immunocompromised but luckily my record was 2 years out of date.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

OVER

https://twitter.com/Nature/status/1785600998431481926

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

quote:

The first participants got the same tiny dose of the ‘ancestral’ SARS-CoV-2 strain as did those in the first trial. When nobody developed a sustained infection, the researchers increased the dose by more and more in subsequent groups of participants, until they reached a level 10,000 times the initial dose. A few volunteers developed short-lived infections, but these quickly vanished.

“We were quite surprised,” says Susan Jackson, a study clinician at Oxford and co-author of the latest study. “Moving forward, if you want a COVID challenge study, you’re going to have to find a dose that infects people.”

Despite their immunity to the ancestral strains, nearly 40% of the participants experienced an Omicron infection after being released from quarantine by December 2022, and one even got it twice.

An ongoing COVID-19 challenge trial at Imperial College London, in which participants have been exposed to the Delta SARS-CoV-2 variant, has also encountered problems with infecting participants reliably, says Christopher Chiu, an immunologist and infectious-disease physician at Imperial who is leading that trial and was involved in the other challenge trials. Some participants have experienced infections, but probably not enough for a study testing whether a vaccine works, adds Chiu.

“We need a challenge strain that’s more representative of what’s circulating in the community,” says Anna Durbin, a vaccine scientist at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, who was a member of the board that oversaw the safety of the latest ‘reinfection’ trial.
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I question the usefulness of the data you'd get by infecting people with OG Covid