Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

copy posted:

lol reviving all the old "links to different parts/features of the forums" ads ftw

i like em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

copy posted:

lol reviving all the old "links to different parts/features of the forums" ads ftw

we have so many cool old ads, why not recycle some of them? although a lot of them have bad words and boobs in them from 2015 and older, so maybe not those.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Pragmatica posted:

we have so many cool old ads, why not recycle some of them? although a lot of them have bad words and boobs in them from 2015 and older, so maybe not those.

cool looking forward to the next batch if that's in the cards

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

There are a lot of adverts for Usenet which is like, I don't even know what that is. These are adverts for like Gen Xers even

it's what boomers used to use before forums. although i think it works more like a mailing list?
but nowadays the main use case of it is that it's so old copyright lawyers forgot it exists
people upload :filez: by doing binary-to-ascii conversions and spreading their base64 gibberish over a hundred poasts and then illegal-copying-enthusiasts use specific pirate clients to recombine and un-frobnicate all that crap to get the original file back

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

B33rChiller posted:

Is that a new internet word?
I am an old. How long are yonks? Teach me to use this term please.

this mf yonking rn

copy
Jul 26, 2007

yonking and malding

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pragmatica posted:

imagine hating women this much

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's what boomers used to use before forums. although i think it works more like a mailing list?
but nowadays the main use case of it is that it's so old copyright lawyers forgot it exists
people upload :filez: by doing binary-to-ascii conversions and spreading their base64 gibberish over a hundred poasts and then illegal-copying-enthusiasts use specific pirate clients to recombine and un-frobnicate all that crap to get the original file back
Isn't that what it was used for all along? I remember my first job in a computer shop, the owner was downloading mp3s from usenet, and this was some time around 96 or 97. It was the first time I'd heard of an mp3. Dude was playing an Adam Sandler album, and it kept playing when he opened the CD drive! How did you do that? What do you mean you're playing audio from your hard drive? What?

B33rChiller has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Apr 30, 2024

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A yonk is slightly less than an age but longer than a while.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yonk me, yonk me my friend.
Yonk me, yonk me again.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Don't we have rules against posting that you're yonking off?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That's jonking, yonking is perfectly.legal

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Not to be confused with yoinky sploinky.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

copy posted:

yonking and malding

lmao

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Half of Dracula posted:

Don't we have rules against posting that you're yonking off?

Don't yonk my yom, TYVM.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

first post in 9 years lol

psychicattack posted:

i searched my name for the first time in like ten years and imagine my delight

I hope Ikari shows up too and the rule for the 2 of them is still in effect

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

ayonk the onk.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

first post in 9 years lol

I hope Ikari shows up too and the rule for the 2 of them is still in effect

what's the context here?

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Marcade posted:

Don't yonk my yom, TYVM.

lol ugh

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

what's the context here?

2004-era forums Main Characters who were so annoying together that Lowtax (iirc Ozma ended up actually enforcing it in the end) posted that if they ever got caught posting in the same thread, even if not talking directly to each other, they would both be banned or perma'd

context is some CSPAM or other politics bullshit, I didn't pay attention except someone randomly dropped her name and she immediately responded after nearly a decade away

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Not to be confused with yoinky sploinky.

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Luke Skywalker kills Han Solo's son at the climax of Episode VII
You're yonkin' my melon man, you know you talk so hip man
You're yonkin' my melon man, call the cops

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Snow Cone Capone posted:

2004-era forums Main Characters who were so annoying together that Lowtax (iirc Ozma ended up actually enforcing it in the end) posted that if they ever got caught posting in the same thread, even if not talking directly to each other, they would both be banned or perma'd

context is some CSPAM or other politics bullshit, I didn't pay attention except someone randomly dropped her name and she immediately responded after nearly a decade away

it's very important to keep the war fandom alive

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

B33rChiller posted:

imagine hating women this much

people used to get really mad about it

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i keep it 300 lol. like the romans

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I SAW A TITY

ON THE INTERNET

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sad to think of an era in which boobs needed advertising, before Sydney Sweeney saved them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Danaru posted:

I SAW A TITY

ON THE INTERNET

Turn on your monitor :grin:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Danaru posted:

I SAW A TITY

ON THE INTERNET

oh poo poo danaru's account got hacked by the weird character dating site guys

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

On Something Awful, monitor turns YOU on.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

we had pinbot at my bar until recently, python anghelho goes so hard

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

There are a lot of adverts for Usenet which is like, I don't even know what that is. These are adverts for like Gen Xers even

it's the cool and good way to pirate media without fear of reprisal or annoying torrent sites

technically it also used to be decentralized message boards but it's been useless for that for 20+ years

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Why do you have to buy that poo poo though

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If anyone can figure out how to bring back USENET for messages without it being instantly overwhelmed by spammers I will personally award them the nobel peace prize

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Why do you have to buy that poo poo though

Yeah, I look at those ads with my vague Usenet memories of something I just connected to with my browser (or a built-in newsreader?) as a stupid teen, and I'm completely lost

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trash Ops posted:

we had pinbot at my bar until recently, python anghelho goes so hard

a little TOO hard for the CEO of Capcom, unfortunately

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Did EAH ever come back?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tendales posted:

If anyone can figure out how to bring back USENET for messages without it being instantly overwhelmed by spammers I will personally award them the nobel peace prize

they killed posting from google groups so it might be possible now

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

JGdmn posted:

Did EAH ever come back?

hes still posting under his alt in d&d at least lol

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I look at those ads with my vague Usenet memories of something I just connected to with my browser (or a built-in newsreader?) as a stupid teen, and I'm completely lost

it's a real nerdy way to download movies now, that's what the ad advertises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

hes still posting under his alt in d&d at least lol

Is he still larping