Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Can't believe I missed the (very brief) Thousand Arms chat a few pages ago. I was just organizing some games over the weekend and I put it in a box in my office closet along with my Suikodens since I mostly just emulate those older games now instead of playing them on original hardware.

But I like Thousand Arms. It's not...like really good or anything, and the main character is a ridiculous sleazeball, and most characters treat him like a creep.

Also I like the combat a lot.

But in trying to be a JRPG + Dating Sim/Visual Novel, it's kind of not great. The writing and choices during the dates are ridiculous. One of the common questions you get is "would you ever light an air-biscuit in front of me?" or something along those lines. Yes, I will absolutely just fart uncontrollably on a date.

Anyway, Ayumi Hamasaki does the opening theme and that's a fun song/video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ah i see, today is one of those days where someone gets banned in the thread

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GrandpaPants posted:

I was contemplating getting the front mission remake on Steam. How bad is it? Like bad as in underwhelming but functional or bad as in literally unplayable?

Instead of getting that you should instead emulate FM5 with the english patch so you can play the game until the roguelike mode unlocks and never progress any further, like me whenever I try to play FM5.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
oh wow, didn't expect the legion srpg style war battle fighting in Eiyuden, I guess this is what the 100 characters are suppose to be for.

But turns seem to take really long just for the chatlog to say "random soldier died" for like 30secs. (wondering if the names in the chatlog are all kickstarter patrons) And the characters all cheering regularly like L Some said the story is pretty mid. I think its pretty fine so far with the two opposing sides and the bad guy pulling strings behind the scenes.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 30, 2024

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Did y’all know that Carrie has never failed at this, not once?

Lady’s gonna fuse me with a boulder and blame me for it one of these days.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

ah i see, today is one of those days where someone gets banned in the thread

:pray:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GateOfD posted:

pls bully me Chie

do not post like this, or ideally ever again

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Kawazu is a living legend. Square Enix are probably just thankful the guy doesn't force through costly vanity projects and instead just wants remasters and the occasional new game that costs 500 dollars to make.

yeah he seems content to make games with whatever pocket change and lint SE was carrying around, and he keeps us weirdos who like saga games in line, seems like a good arrangement for everyobe

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Beyond like, Final Fantasy Legend I’ve never actually played a SaGa game and really feel like I should so I can get another taste of that particular kind of jank. How good of a jumping in point is Emerald Beyond?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
before starting i figured kingdom hearts 1 would be kinda rough from memory but i'm actually having a lot of fun with it, with the caveat that i'm referencing a guide to see where each plot room is because the event planner was a complete moron. but still, there's so much life in the environments and animations. i was bullied into playing on proud mode for the first time and i actually don't mind donald dying a ton because i love the classic angry donald shuffle he does when he gets back up. proud mode in general has been pretty smooth sailing after guard armor

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Beyond like, Final Fantasy Legend I’ve never actually played a SaGa game and really feel like I should so I can get another taste of that particular kind of jank. How good of a jumping in point is Emerald Beyond?

I'm curious too because my only experience is trying Unlimited SaGa 20 years ago and that uhh went nowhere.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also if you don't like 100 acre wood we are enemies for life

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Bussamove posted:

It's good! Really any SaGa game is its own jumping-on point, since each game has its own unique mechanics and structure.

Emerald Beyond, Scarlet Grace, and Minstrel Song have the advantage of more extensive in-game tips. The others take a more hands-off approach to player guidance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Looper posted:

before starting i figured kingdom hearts 1 would be kinda rough from memory but i'm actually having a lot of fun with it, with the caveat that i'm referencing a guide to see where each plot room is because the event planner was a complete moron. but still, there's so much life in the environments and animations. i was bullied into playing on proud mode for the first time and i actually don't mind donald dying a ton because i love the classic angry donald shuffle he does when he gets back up. proud mode in general has been pretty smooth sailing after guard armor

the two big hurdles on proud/critical are Cerberus and Cloud, I found it pretty smooth sailing after that

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Emerald SaGa is probably the best entry point for the series now. The amount of like different mechanics going on with races might be overwhelming for some players but also it is exemplary of SaGa and its really streamline elsewhere. The structure also just gives you are fun grab bag of stuff people like about SaGa.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How long is a speedrun and a completionist run of a scenario?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

the two big hurdles on proud/critical are Cerberus and Cloud, I found it pretty smooth sailing after that

i actually had no problem with them because i did all of deep jungle and agrabah before even attempting that portion of olympus lol. you get the warp drive a lot earlier than i remember, the openness of the game is nice

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Emerald Beyond is probably the best jumping on point you'd get for SaGa as a whole.

Edit: Excuse me, I mean if you want a REAL SaGa experience you need to play the gatcha game!!!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They made a hetero Gacha of Blue Reflection that bombed. I'm guessing the Saga gacha breaks the tenets of the series by having "levels" and "experience."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It has glimmers and windie wears a santa hat so who can say if its good or bad.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Looper posted:

I love seeing that wonderland is actually five small rooms but it feels like so much more because you keep having to go back and forth because two of those rooms have 10 exits

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They didn't have quest-markers in those days. I have no earthly idea how you get past the legally contentious Tarzan level without a guide.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They made a hetero Gacha of Blue Reflection

Well there’s your problem.

I’ll probably dive into Emerald Beyond once I’m done with Eiyuden, thanks y’all.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

We have no idea what a completionist route looks like! The format of the game doesn't allow backtracking- you go through so many stops, then hit the finale. I'd say it's taking me under ten hours - maybe eight? To clear a scenario. There's no aimlessness, all of your options for proceeding are clearly marked. I think your first playthrough gets short versions of worlds you visit wherein subsequent playthroughs tack on new mechanics - Avalon and Brighthome didn't include their mini games when I went there for the first time, but added them when I came back, and my second trip to Kosmos was more complicated too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
we really dont need to talk about blue reflection sun. it is okay not to talk about blue reflection sun.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

My first playthrough took 20 hours, but it’ll vary a lot depending on your character and how much side content you do, and probably the specific worlds you visit too. I think mine was on the long side, it seems like Diva can visit a ton of worlds if you put off the plot.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Rascyc posted:

I wanna say FM2 released a patch to at least fix all the typos in the tooltips. Didn't stick around to verify that though

Apparently stuff like “pilot carrer” “paint color: gary” “comannder” and “ Marverick” might be still in despite the patch

Dunno if the translation fixed stuff like telling you absolutely wrong stage clear conditions like saying certain helicopters needed to be shot down despite how those helicopters actually had POWs on it and would insta-game over if you did

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheMightyBoops posted:

That’s just what the article says idk.

It's kind of baffling to me why they couldn't predict that "the game that you can only get on the PS5, a console far fewer people own" would sell a lot less than Remake

That one quote also seems to conflict with the parts of the article explaining how they're going to cut funding (which talk about focusing more on in-house stuff and less on games outsourced to other studios). It seems like the journalist writing the article just kind of arbitrarily cited that quote, even though it doesn't seem to be related to the subject of the article.

Endorph posted:

i hope some of those random korean danganronpa fangames get tl'd sometime some of them have good char designs

love puzzle man

Was going to say that I wasn't a big fan of these designs, but then noticed there was a SHSL Cellist and now I support it (though I'm not sure why she's wearing what appears to be a vaguely maid-ish outfit)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ytlaya posted:

It's kind of baffling to me why they couldn't predict that "the game that you can only get on the PS5, a console far fewer people own" would sell a lot less than Remake

they did. why would they not. why would they just put final fantasy games on ps5, exclusively, with zero incentive. after everyone talked about how mad they were about epic buying exclusives it seems a little strange to me how the entire conversation about ff16 and 7r, acts like square enix put their games on ps5 because they had the confidence that they would sell mega billions on ps5, and not because they were given a giant sack of money to temporarily put their video games on ps5 by sony, who wanted video games on the ps5, the system that famously has no games

the game they are saying undersold was foamstars. they are saying that foamstars sold badly.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I really would like to see what projects they decided to cancel to see if any of them were really old IPs they wanted to revitalize for some reason.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Yeah it was just a bad line in an article from what I thought was an ok source but wasn’t. At best you can say they lost some money because of it and that why they put it in the article because it sounds sexier than Foamstars didn’t meet expectations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i am going to guess that none of them were anything worth caring about. the se games that have tanked have all universally been like. the actual garbage of their output. their lower budget games from last year probably didn't sell gangbusters but i would legitimately not be surprised if most of them made back more money than forspoken or their insanely botched launch version of chocobo gp they had to spend months rewiring into an actual video game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TheMightyBoops posted:

Yeah it was just a bad line in an article from what I thought was an ok source but wasn’t. At best you can say they lost some money because of it and that why they put it in the article because it sounds sexier than Foamstars didn’t meet expectations.

the source is fine but the article is doing the same thing with it everyone talking about 16 and 7r are, which is acting like square enix put big final fantasy releases on ps5 out of the goodness of their heart and not because there was an existing financial incentive to make it worth it. there is literally no way to know how square enix actually views the sales of these games without them giving a public statement. so far there has not been a public statement about 7r but there was one about 16, and it was that they were satisfied with it, and 7r2 sold about as well and involved creating a lot of easily reusable assets for 7r3 so i doubt they viewed it as a bad investment of a game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funniest 'square enix is the devil' story is when the devs of one of the lief is strange spinoffs was right SQUARE WOULDNT LET US EMBRACE THIS CHARACTER'S SEXUALITY... THEY WERE HOMOPHOBIC... WE COULDNT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT... and then every article from the game's previews is devs and journalists going 'this game stars a bi woman' openly and in the headlines.

so presumably they just wanted to do something insanely stupid wrt the character's sexuality and square said no

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

SE put out Dungeon Encounter, so they can’t be all bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Tri-Ace stuff (Star Ocean, Valkyrie, etc) are probably close to the cutting block if not on it. At very least I expect them to go smaller like the remake rather than another big console one.
star ocean 2 remake sold well so my guess is that either they'll remake valkyrie profile 1 or make a new star ocean thats hd 2d style instead of 3d.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that article was also funny because the square enix they were talking about was square enix london. regional branches of big companies like this tend to be funny and operate pretty separately from the home japanese ones. and also square enix literally just published a lesbian romance indie game that they gave access to an official se twitter pr account as part of their indie publishing initiative and i don't think little goody two shoes made a secret about what it was so it's not like their western side has a wider aversion to the idea

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

star ocean 2 remake sold well so my guess is that either they'll remake valkyrie profile 1 or make a new star ocean thats hd 2d style instead of 3d.

I know Valkyrie Profile's script is one of those that's become enshrined in memes but I think it'd be interesting if it was enough of a remake to get a fresh translation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I know Valkyrie Profile's script is one of those that's become enshrined in memes but I think it'd be interesting if it was enough of a remake to get a fresh translation.

Honestly I'm not entirely sure it is the script so much as the voice acting. Say what you want but Maddie Blaustein voiced the fuuuuuuck out of Lezard/Arngrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

square: ff7r made 200 million dollars
sony: we will pay you 50 million to put ff7r2 exclusively on ps5
square: ff7r2 made 150 million dollars, and sony paid us 50 million to put ff7r2 on ps5
people: IS SQUARE DYING???