Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

that article was also funny because the square enix they were talking about was square enix london. regional branches of big companies like this tend to be funny and operate pretty separately from the home japanese ones. and also square enix literally just published a lesbian romance indie game that they gave access to an official se twitter pr account as part of their indie publishing initiative and i don't think little goody two shoes made a secret about what it was so it's not like their western side has a wider aversion to the idea
given that same expose also had the devs say 'we didnt report sexist abuse because we didnt want to damage the Only Gay Games Ever Made' im just assuming everyone who worked there was a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

foamstars was also a ps+ monthly game, so that was probably also part of a sony->s-e package

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I'm not entirely sure it is the script so much as the voice acting. Say what you want but Maddie Blaustein voiced the fuuuuuuck out of Lezard/Arngrim.

It shall be is engraved upon my soul.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I know I'm out of the loop so this isn't saying much coming from me, but I have never heard of Foamstars before now.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I wouldn’t be surprised if Star Ocean 2R gave Tri-Ace a bit of a lifeline. It reportedly didn’t do too badly and it even got post-launch support and I can’t even remember the last time that happened for one of these smaller SE games.

Yeah we’re probably not getting something like Divine Force or Elysium, but I agree with Endorph that a 2.5HD Valkyrie Profile is something that is a lot more possible now

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what if splatoon ink had dimensions

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Star Ocean 2R gave Tri-Ace a bit of a lifeline. It reportedly didn’t do too badly and it even got post-launch support and I can’t even remember the last time that happened for one of these smaller SE games.

Yeah we’re probably not getting something like Divine Force or Elysium, but I agree with Endorph that a 2.5HD Valkyrie Profile is something that is a lot more possible now

Tri-Ace actually didn't work much on Star Ocean 2R from what I can find. It was mostly Gemdrops, Inc. Almost everything I can find of Tri-Ace is tied to the original version of the game.

It looks like Gemdrops is made up of some former Tri-Ace staffers but also people from Tokyo RPG Factory (a lot of the same people worked on I Am Setsuna and FFXV Pocket Edition.)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Schwarzwald posted:

I know I'm out of the loop so this isn't saying much coming from me, but I have never heard of Foamstars before now.

it was an attempt at a splatoon-like that was apparently not like, awful, but. they tried charging 40 dollars for costumes. seems like it fell into the same bottomless pit as exoprimal, unfortunate year for poorly judged attempts at live service shooters with extremely pricey mtx

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

they gave it a big trailer at a sony event! it was clearly meant to be huge. the cg trailer they used to promote it probably already cost a dozen million.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
on the whole i mostly wonder if we're in for a few years of the big companies trying to grapple with the fact that no, suicide squad is not popular and it never will be. stop trying to make suicide squad. no matter what pick of aesthetics and themes you go with people will still recognize it as another suicide squad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like this one screenshot is 95% of what people know about Foamstars.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

on the whole i mostly wonder if we're in for a few years of the big companies trying to grapple with the fact that no, suicide squad is not popular and it never will be. stop trying to make suicide squad.

suicide squad, the ip, specifically, tbh. its insane that dc has spent nearly a decade trying to make it happen and been unable to reach the heights of a single episode of the 2000s justice league cartoon.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's also that one clip of the dramatic zoom out when you fail to disarm the foam nuke

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If Foamstars was on PC I'd probably play it but I didn't feel like subbing to PS+ to play it lol. Their loss.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Althought I think having defined characters you play as kind of misses a big part of the appeal of Splatoon with people dressing up their OCs.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

suicide squad, the ip, specifically, tbh. its insane that dc has spent nearly a decade trying to make it happen and been unable to reach the heights of a single episode of the 2000s justice league cartoon.

they literally need to just make a harley quinn video game that plays like a b-tier gamecube beat em up and maybe has some bits where you meet captain boomerang or something and that will be the best suicide squad game you'll ever see

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Althought I think having defined characters you play as kind of misses a big part of the appeal of Splatoon with people dressing up their OCs.

they were probably trying to go for overwatch type appeal and the char designs werent awful but they didnt really stand out

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Endorph posted:

Didn’t one of those movies sort of take off for like a month? I think that’s what primed them to go unreasonably all in. Especially after the first movie was reviled.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Tri-Ace actually didn't work much on Star Ocean 2R from what I can find. It was mostly Gemdrops, Inc. Almost everything I can find of Tri-Ace is tied to the original version of the game.

It looks like Gemdrops is made up of some former Tri-Ace staffers but also people from Tokyo RPG Factory (a lot of the same people worked on I Am Setsuna and FFXV Pocket Edition.)

Well poo poo, then if Tri-Ace’s last titles were Divine Force and Elysium (wait, I honestly don’t know if they even involved with this one, which is interesting given they created this series)… well… yeah the next few years are probably going to be rough

For Gemdrops, I was quite pleased with SO2R and hope they get more work and opportunities

Edit: Thank you Colonel and ImpAtom for the confirmation on Elysium

MechaX fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 30, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

they literally need to just make a harley quinn video game that plays like a b-tier gamecube beat em up and maybe has some bits where you meet captain boomerang or something and that will be the best suicide squad game you'll ever see
i was thinking the idael suicide squad game would be like a shadow tactics style topdown turnbased stealth tactics thing. you're committing heists/shadow ops and you have a predefined squad of like 6-7 guys each with unique abilities. harley sets traps, king shark or killer croc or whoever can break down walls, boomerang can silently takedown enemies from a distance but enemies can see his boomerangs in flight, idk, loving, multi-man has no special abilities but can die and then resurrect without consequence, stuff like that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TheMightyBoops posted:

Didn’t one of those movies sort of take off for like a month? I think that’s what primed them to go unreasonably all in. Especially after the first movie was reviled.

the second movie did okay but suicide squad as a video game is something wb literally spent a decade trying to get made, the movies are only vaguely related to the trajectory it took

MechaX posted:

Well poo poo, then if Tri-Ace’s last titles were Divine Force and Elysium… well… yeah the next few years are probably going to be rough

For Gemdrops, I was quite pleased with SO2R and hope they get more work and opportunities

valkyrie elysium wasn't made by tri-ace, it was made by soleil, the wanted dead devs. i like them but they're pretty clearly a studio that hasn't really found their footing, wanted dead is a bit more developed but clearly still a game where they only had the budget and time for half a video game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
rip the shadow tactics studio...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

suicide squad 2016 is the one that did decently at the box office, its just nobody liked it. and then the newer movie did terribly.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Because nobody played "Splatoon for Straight People", this happened:

https://twitter.com/Yur1_P/status/1754935177304752391

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

Well poo poo, then if Tri-Ace’s last titles were Divine Force and Elysium (wait, were they even involved with this one)… well… yeah the next few years are probably going to be rough

Yeaaaah, about that.

Valkyrie Elysium was Soleil whose last big game was... Wanted: Dead. The Divine Force was the last game Tri-Ace worked on that wasn't mobile stuff I think.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

im not laughing, people probably would die!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i recommend wanted dead to anyone who wanted an answer to the question of, what if the people who made devil's third booted itagaki out of the studio and tried to make a version of devil's third that's kind of fun. the answer is a game that's still like kinda rough but you can see what they're going for and sometimes it actually works well

Inspector Gesicht posted:

"Splatoon for Straight People"

my man your words are making less sense with every sentence

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Because nobody played "Splatoon for Straight People", this happened:

https://twitter.com/Yur1_P/status/1754935177304752391

lol

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Endorph posted:

they were probably trying to go for overwatch type appeal and the char designs werent awful but they didnt really stand out

They were also definitely trying to chase Fortnite, as well. The whole thing reeked of cynical trend-chasing, which is one of the key reasons it completely failed to accomplish anything. It turns out, when you try to copy already successful games, most people would rather just play those games instead. This is doubly true for online games, where the game with the established userbase is phenomenally difficult to dethrone (SEE: Warcraft, World of). There are, of course, rare exceptions, like Fortnite completely supplanting PUBG, but that's usually because the new guy did things radically differently despite operating in the same space (the cartoony aesthetic, structure-building, deeply cynical cross-promotions with every IP under the sun to attract small children who don't yet understand the evils of late capitalism, etc.).

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I would simply not green-light a game called Foamstars.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Holy gently caress Itagaki

Has that guy even done anything of note after Devil’s Third

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh i think the biggest reason fortnite dethroned pubg is that pubg was horribly optimized and required a high end for the time computer to run even though it looked like counter strike source

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i recommend wanted dead to anyone who wanted an answer to the question of, what if the people who made devil's third booted itagaki out of the studio and tried to make a version of devil's third that's kind of fun. the answer is a game that's still like kinda rough but you can see what they're going for and sometimes it actually works well

my man your words are making less sense with every sentence

Wanted: Dead is a game I desperately wanted to like but it is so close to being a good game that it's almost frustrating. I'm glad it exists though, it is weird as poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MechaX posted:

SAMURAI JACK: BATTLE THROUGH TIME

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
idk ff14 hasn't like booted wow out of its position but i'd say in terms of general relevancy and how popular it is with newcomers ff14 is on an equal level if not kinda growing bigger. ff14 is also a game with actual ideas though while foamstars is very much se's exoprimal in terms of being something that would maybe be decent if it didn't have the specific aim it obviously does

MechaX posted:

he was uh. an advisor on samurai jack battle through time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

He apparently advised on the Samurai Jack game that Soliel made.

(Spoiler: It was an insanely forgettable game.)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

TheMightyBoops posted:

I would simply not green-light a game called Foamstars.

Now a movie on the other hand, that would make bank. I can already see the poster, Ryan Reynolds, fully clothed in a bathtub blasting off from a foam explosion. Audiences would love this poo poo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ImpAtom posted:

Wanted: Dead is a game I desperately wanted to like but it is so close to being a good game that it's almost frustrating. I'm glad it exists though, it is weird as poo poo.

have you played it post-combat patch? that's the only version i'm familiar with and i had fun with it. i can imagine the late game being much more maddening if the combat balance was more brutal before, it's forgiving enough to just squeeze through some of the more annoying bullshit now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

have you played it post-combat patch? that's the only version i'm familiar with and i had fun with it. i can imagine the late game being much more maddening if the combat balance was more brutal before, it's forgiving enough to just squeeze through some of the more annoying bullshit now

Yeah, I played at launch. I should give it another go sometime when I can actually make spare time, if just because them actually giving it support makes me want to give it a fair second shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly foamstars is like. idk how to say this without it sounding weird but the only reason i can think of to choose foam is if you wanna get a little sexy with it? like hunky dudes and sexy babes in swimsuits covered in foam or w/e. idk. thats the only aesthetic thing my mind associates with foam. like how splatoon uses the brightly colored ink paint to go all in on a grafitti, punk, urban youth kind of aesthetic. but foamstar's designs were just really generic. so it feels like foam was just picked because its also vaguely water themed and no other reason.