Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Because nobody played "Splatoon for Straight People", this happened:

https://twitter.com/Yur1_P/status/1754935177304752391

hey arent you not allowed to post in here anymore on account of sucking rear end and poo poo constantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Valkyrie Profile is like maybe the only game where I'm like ehhhhh this doesn't want a remake

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am just so elated GateofD got banned again. You know RPG thread we been through some hardships, but if you want to have another conversation about how all jrpg parties only have 3 women for old's time sake... well, I'll allow it. Today is just full of good vibes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

frankly foamstars is like. idk how to say this without it sounding weird but the only reason i can think of to choose foam is if you wanna get a little sexy with it? like hunky dudes and sexy babes in swimsuits covered in foam or w/e. idk. thats the only aesthetic thing my mind associates with foam. like how splatoon uses the brightly colored ink paint to go all in on a grafitti, punk, urban youth kind of aesthetic. but foamstar's designs were just really generic. so it feels like foam was just picked because its also vaguely water themed and no other reason.

I can see where you're coming from but I think they just were genuinely trying to find something that is close to but not the same as paint in terms of 'spreading around.' Like something you can shoot out and it remains present and can cover stuff. It's kind of a cliche image someone being absolutely covered with foam. They probably could have hit the same mark with snow or something.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ImpAtom posted:

I can see where you're coming from but I think they just were genuinely trying to find something that is close to but not the same as paint in terms of 'spreading around.' Like something you can shoot out and it remains present and can cover stuff. It's kind of a cliche image someone being absolutely covered with foam. They probably could have hit the same mark with snow or something.

They could have done something like uh, silly string i guess? I mean it also has the whole "this has dimensions" thing they were doing with the foam. I guess you can't really swim through silly string.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
foamstars looks like AI generated fanart of itself

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i guess the idea is that you can stand on it but... i dont really associate foam as something solid i can stand on?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Eiyuden: Proving Grounds weren't so bad, but the Rabbit Archwitches you can encounter in the areas after can gently caress you uppp

First encounter with 2 of them and some other enemies and they both started with that whole party attack of theirs and just wiped my back row lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

They could have done something like uh, silly string i guess? I mean it also has the whole "this has dimensions" thing they were doing with the foam. I guess you can't really swim through silly string.

I mean to be fair you can't swim through paint either. You could do like... I don't know, travelling along the silly string like an electricity wire.

But honestly at the end of the day if you're going to come at Nintendo you better than something more than Focus Tested To Oblivion.

Endorph posted:

i guess the idea is that you can stand on it but... i dont really associate foam as something solid i can stand on?

I admit I do but it's more from something like this:

Quick-hardening foam stuff.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

There's kind of a neat idea with like, a splatoon like territory shooter where your shots also build terrain? Could you also destroy opponent's foam or whatever?

It was just super forgettable and then the mtx were unbelievably poorly thought out. Also I think it was tied directly to PS+ and that was the only way to engage with it, which I assume has to be an even smaller fraction of the PS5 install base?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

I detest it but I think they should have gone with slime. Just a less weird choice imo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
You could do it like its uh, cake icing, and you are all cake makers. Actually this sounds like way loving better I am a genius.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly foamstars doesnt even feel focus tested? it feels more like they just went 'splatoon but with a Trending on Artstation aesthetic'

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Colonel posted:

they did. why would they not. why would they just put final fantasy games on ps5, exclusively, with zero incentive. after everyone talked about how mad they were about epic buying exclusives it seems a little strange to me how the entire conversation about ff16 and 7r, acts like square enix put their games on ps5 because they had the confidence that they would sell mega billions on ps5, and not because they were given a giant sack of money to temporarily put their video games on ps5 by sony, who wanted video games on the ps5, the system that famously has no games

the game they are saying undersold was foamstars. they are saying that foamstars sold badly.

I'm referring to the guy in the article who referred to it under-performing compared with Remake, not Square itself (which is understandably kind of confusing since I said "they" which implies Square) -

quote:

Earlier this month, Daniel Ahmad, director of research and insights at Niko Partners, claimed that Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Square’s biggest release of the year, has been “underperforming.”

“It’s selling about half of what Remake sold in the same timeframe and looks like it’ll have a weaker tail (prior to any PS+ like release),” Ahmad wrote on X.

I feel like including this quote was just a mistake on the part of the journalist, since the rest of the article implies that this decision has nothing to do with Rebirth sales.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

I detest it but I think they should have gone with slime. Just a less weird choice imo.

I choose to believe someone at Nick has a lawyer on retainer to just break someone's knees if they ever try to use slime in a goofy kid-friendly way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

You could do it like its uh, cake icing, and you are all cake makers. Actually this sounds like way loving better I am a genius.
a sweets themed shooter in general? youre shooting like frosting/icing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I'm referring to the guy in the article who referred to it under-performing compared with Remake, not Square itself (which is understandably kind of confusing since I said "they" which implies Square) -

I feel like including this quote was just a mistake on the part of the journalist, since the rest of the article implies that this decision has nothing to do with Rebirth sales.

daniel ahmad is kind of an idiot

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

a sweets themed shooter in general? youre shooting like frosting/icing

Your melee weapon can be like a candy cane or giant lollypop.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
would Babylons fall have been saved with a cake aesthetic

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ImpAtom posted:

Your melee weapon can be like a candy cane or giant lollypop.

Cookie cutter weapon where you can sweep up chunks of icing with it and then fling it in the shape of the cutter at your opponents

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

would Babylons fall have been saved with a cake aesthetic

I mean it saved Nier Automata.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What does "Splatoon For Straight People" mean in this context. o_O

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
People who are not reading the Troubleshooter thread have been missing out on previews of the cool designs for the party of the next game

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

People who are not reading the Troubleshooter thread have been missing out on previews of the cool designs for the party of the next game

i was neutral until i got to yuri

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

yes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Splatoon for straight people is just The Finals

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That was the only meme made about Foamstars, since only 8 people played it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Splatoon for straight people is just The Finals

That's right.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You run up and down and around the sides of a building or other large object, trying to cover each segment in your teams' icing flavor, while knocking the other team off so they can't ice it with their flavor instead. Once you ice an entire segment, the icing will harden and you move on to the next segment, but you have the option of decorating the iced segments, which will increase your score but keeps members of your team from using that time to help ice the next segment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the finals was fun in beta but i got bored. well peace

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also at least according to some reddit sleuthing the game is still alive in Japan but just no one else plays it so the only way to get matches is to server switch lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rand Brittain posted:

You run up and down and around the sides of a building or other large object, trying to cover each segment in your teams' icing flavor, while knocking the other team off so they can't ice it with their flavor instead. Once you ice an entire segment, the icing will harden and you move on to the next segment, but you have the option of decorating the iced segments, which will increase your score but keeps members of your team from using that time to help ice the next segment.

This sounds like multiplayer Qix somehow, and someone has to have tried a two-player Qix right

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
pastry/sweet shops are a goated visual theme for video game levels, matched only by icy snow and haunted houses

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Snooze Cruise posted:

Wait, I'm confused, Troubleshooter is set in a modern/vaguely near future world with some ESP type stuff as far as I recall. Why is there an archer, some sort of barbarian and a goddamn witch on there? Is there going to be time travel poo poo going on or something?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Infinity Gaia posted:

Wait, I'm confused, Troubleshooter is set in a modern/vaguely near future world with some ESP type stuff as far as I recall. Why is there an archer, some sort of barbarian and a goddamn witch on there? Is there going to be time travel poo poo going on or something?

Takes place in some mountains. Events of the first game kinda set a lot of moving pieces off into the surrounding wilderness of the city.

Witches were part of the first game. Anne and Bianca were flavor as such but they weren't as witch-y as this new lady yeah, and apparently the new lady straight up was trying to join a coven?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

local poster hears of modern fantasy

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Buck Wildman posted:

the other thing that would be super mega bullshit would be if the SaGa Frontier 2 remake got cancelled nooooooooooo

SaGa Frontier 2 was a great looking Playstation game. Those watercolor backdrops are :kiss:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Aside after trying to play some with a friend recently, I think they should make a Wakfu game that's fun and good instead of bad. Seems like an easy winner imo

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Ragequit posted:

SaGa Frontier 2 was a great looking Playstation game. Those watercolor backdrops are :kiss:

Agreed, but: how are they going to make 320x240 backgrounds look good on HD (never mind 4K)?

The best case would be if they still retained the original art, and could re-digitize it. Or if the original art was preserved at very high fidelity. Which would be a pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
pictured: a witch and barbarian from the first troubleshooter