Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, to max out crafting you need to craft one of everything. However nothing new unlocks in the last tier.

The genji equipment seems to need 16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The genji equipment seems to need 16

Oh, sorry, crafting the Genji stuff maxes out your last one, yeah.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Endorph posted:

Forspoken
Valkyrie Elysium
Chocobo GP
Babylon's Fall

are the main things im taking of as giant faceplants. chocobo and valkyrie were tied to proven IPs, but executed in a way claerly nobody wanted. forspoken and babylon's fall are exactly the sort of games that *should* have been canned before reaching the finish line.

it weirds me out that Square's been making all these clumsy games whose concepts clearly exceed any ability to execute on them. Their pixel art games like Octopath and Triangle Strategy seemed like really smart projects. But then you get a game like Diofield that feels like it was made by a bunch of new hires, without any experienced producers or directors to guide them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

:rip: to Square's weird games era. I appreciate a Diofeld, even though i'd never play it.

Hope they still make a Harvestella 2 down the line.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Maybe parts of those failed projects will end up in part 3 as more mini games.

poo poo. I've just cursed us all.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

deoju posted:

poo poo. I've just cursed us all.

We have good news and bad news about the much-requested Chrono Trigger remake.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

deoju posted:

This would be cool

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Part 3 is going to be a fake out, jump ahead in time and bam! It’s Dirge of Cerberus!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Part 3 is going to be a fake out, jump ahead in time and bam! It’s Dirge of Cerberus!

You get to back in time to the end of Rebirth and if you press the right sequence of buttons within 10 seconds you can save Aerith this time.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Diofield was super weird because the decent combat could have supported a game with a strong plot and characters.

But instead (at least from playing the demo, and further reviews don't seem to have indicated any change) the game seems like it wants to rush you to the next plot point as fast as possible with the bare minimum of narrative connective tissue.

Oh no! There are monsters we've never seen before, rising throughout the city!
Well, we defeated them. Let's not unpack that or discuss the impact of that at all. Onto the next region and battle!

Doesn't help that 'it is fantasy Europe and there are brown/grey stones, green grass, and blue skies' is the most boring possible aesthetic for a fantasy game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The plot is unironically the most interesting thing about Diofield.

So the big plot reveal is that the female lead is actually a horrible sociopath necromancer. Just like a total loving monster. And the protagonist keeps going after her and she empathizes with him and it is all strange.

Until you get to the ending. Where the ending is the protagonist having defeated the cause of issues... and then he promptly turns around and murders his best friend because he was actually a spy for the big evil empire and his entire purpose was to foster conflict and civil war until he could decapitate the leadership so they could sweep in and take over.

The end. That's it. That's the ending. Your protagonist and the female leader were both absolute shitbirds, and the only person they could connect with genuinely was the other shitbird in a tragic hosed up shitbird tragedy romance.

The protagonist doesn't question the monsters because he figured out super early on that the female lead was not the innocent waif she pretended to be and it served his purpose.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 1, 2024

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

I truly can't believe they've done this lmao. In a way I almost respect the sheer Playstation 1 era energy of this sort of malevolent translation dickishness. I just, I don't have enough time in my life for all these loving cutscenes and boss phases, I'm just gonna watch the end credits on youtube. Jesus Christ lol.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I thought they patched that to be clearer?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
my wifi is really dodgy....

:negative:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

So the big plot reveal is that the female lead is actually a horrible sociopath necromancer. Just like a total loving monster. And the protagonist keeps going after her and she empathizes with him and it is all strange.

Until you get to the ending. Where the ending is the protagonist having defeated the cause of issues... and then he promptly turns around and murders his best friend because he was actually a spy for the big evil empire and his entire purpose was to foster conflict and civil war until he could decapitate the leadership so they could sweep in and take over.

The end. That's it. That's the ending. Your protagonist and the female leader were both absolute shitbirds, and the only person they could connect with genuinely was the other shitbird in a tragic hosed up shitbird tragedy romance.

The protagonist doesn't question the monsters because he figured out super early on that the female lead was not the innocent waif she pretended to be and it served his purpose.

And then it loving ends rather than following through with the twist! It should have gone so much harder! Does he double-betray the Empire and use all his allies for more revenge or does he betray and slaughter them all in the name of the Empire and finish off the alliance? That scene was when I was finally invested in the drat game and then it just stops dead rather than push even harder.

Though Quin barely pretends not to be a monster so that's funny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its insanely clear and i dont know why people get confusd

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hint: the option that respawns you at the battle is the one that says 'respawn at this battle?'

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:jerkbag:

If it's crystal clear why are so many complaining? Here and elsewhere? They are all idiots? If that's so then Square hosed up by not knowing their audience and dumbing things down for them in the first place. They are in the business of satisfyingly their audience, and the audience wasn't satisfied.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Lmao what

I do hope they keep making the octopath and triangle strategies and all those because they’re actually awesome. Even bravely default I kinda miss

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Lmao what

I do hope they keep making the octopath and triangle strategies and all those because they’re actually awesome. Even bravely default I kinda miss
the guy in charge of octopath got promoted so, i assume, they're happy with how octopath's gone

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Cephas posted:

I truly can't believe they've done this lmao. In a way I almost respect the sheer Playstation 1 era energy of this sort of malevolent translation dickishness. I just, I don't have enough time in my life for all these loving cutscenes and boss phases, I'm just gonna watch the end credits on youtube. Jesus Christ lol.

At least you get to replay Jenova. That was a good fight. The other ones, though, meh.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm in chapter 11 and really loving this game so far but my biggest complaints are stuff like the Cait Sith solo section and the mako vacuum stuff near the beginning. Just lovely annoying busy work to pad out the game and frustrate people like me who value their time. They could have cut half the box throwing crap out of this section and made it actually kinda fun

Anyway, pretty much literally everything else is incredible. I had no idea this installment was going to be so huge. I really like all the stuff to do in the overworld and I try to do 100% in each area if there's nothing that's an annoying chore (like a couple of the Gold Saucer games)

And I really like Queen's Blood for some reason even though I couldn't really get into the card games in FF8 and FF9

Every character plays so differently and I really like tinkering with different parties and materia setups. I found a really strong build for Tifa that I haven't deviated from since I put it together

This game rules

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
I agree that it's not fun, but the vacuum stuff lasts, what, one minute? Maybe two?

The Cait Sith crap can get in the bin though. Not hard, but tedious. At least it leads to a kickass fight

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Why is this game constantly slowing me down?
Why do I feel like I'm fighting the game to play the game rather than playing the game to fight enemies?
Why the gently caress cant I just explore the world and fight enemies?
Why are there so many mandatory minigames?
Why is there so much boring exposition and dialog?
HOLY gently caress THE MINIGAMES

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WalletBeef posted:

Why do I feel like I'm fighting the game to play the game rather than playing the game to fight enemies?

why do we park on the drive way and drive on the park way

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

dialogue? in final fantasy???

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

WalletBeef posted:

Feels like you want to play something other than a remake of FFVII, a game filled to the brim with exposition, dialogue, and mini games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WalletBeef posted:

You may have purchased the wrong game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Unnecessary minigames were the lifeblood of OG FF7.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Augus posted:

dialogue? in final fantasy???

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Clarste posted:

Unnecessary minigames were the lifeblood of OG FF7.

People love FF7 but forget stuff like the mouth to mouth or warming at Gaia Cliffs. FF7 is a classic and my favorite game and also it has always been stupid.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chump Farts posted:

People love FF7 but forget stuff like the mouth to mouth or warming at Gaia Cliffs. FF7 is a classic and my favorite game and also it has always been stupid.

Those are literally the two mini-games I always remember when I think about OG FFVII. Those and being Tifa and having to press the right combination of buttons to wiggle out of her chair and get the key to the handcuffs or whatever. Anyway, both the warming one and the wiggling one better be in part 3.

Looking forward to snowboarding as well! And think about all the new mini-games they could add in Wutai. So many more versions of the Happy Turtle theme song. I am already hyped for part 3 lmao

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
People complain about the amount of minigames in this (and there are for sure a lot and of varying quality) but to my mind very very few of them are actually mandatory unless you're gunning for 100% completion?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The minigames are good.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFnmbmVo0Es

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

People complain about the amount of minigames in this (and there are for sure a lot and of varying quality) but to my mind very very few of them are actually mandatory unless you're gunning for 100% completion?

Achievements break people's brains.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Achievements break people's brains.

Can confirm. :shepface:

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Echoing that, I just completed the Rulers of the Outer World challenge last night and because I used the Yuffie brumal form spam, I keep hearing in my mind ,"Too Bad, so Sad" on a loop. It's maddening.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

For me it was that there was a decent amount of combat power locked behind some of them - manuscripts with the Moogle Emporium and Gilgamesh at the end of the protorelic questline.

Are they necessary to beat the game on Normal or Dynamic? No idea, by the time I realized that I was ready to just be done with it I had turned down the combat difficulty to Easy. But that didn't seem to remove the timers from the Moogle Hunt or Fort Condor minigames, which were the ones I just absolutely hated and had no patience for.

One day, in a far off future inhabited by our descendants, game devs will have learned that timers are for testing mastery, not competence, and use them with great care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

kaynorr posted:

No idea, by the time I realized that I was ready to just be done with it I had turned down the combat difficulty to Easy. But that didn't seem to remove the timers from the Moogle Hunt or Fort Condor minigames, which were the ones I just absolutely hated and had no patience for.

I'm awful at the Moogle Capture Game but before they added the timers it was just tedious... then it became utterly miserable.

The fact that we got scary-uncanny-valley Moogles just adds insult to injury here.