Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol at the breaking news that the Tories might actually support the extremely racist moron, especially given that this was first reported on Sunday and expanded upon today https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/may/01/tory-hopeful-for-london-mayor-joins-anti-ulez-facebook-group-rife-with-islamophobia

and Sunak refused to condemn it at PMQs because he wholeheartedly agrees with whatever his team does,

from the article:

quote:

On Monday, the day after the revelation, her official Facebook page joined a seventh group called “Bexley say no to Ulez expansion”.

The contents of the group include:
  • A YouTube video alleging that “Islamists” were “taking over Britain”.
  • Abuse towards Khan, including a post that read: “Seriously can’t believe Khan hasn’t been taken out yet … if dark forces can take out Princess Diana I’m sure they can take out this money grabbing little parasite”.
  • Examples of vandalism: one user shared a photo of an enforcement van with its tyres slashed, noting “two flat tyres and sprayed camera”. Another user responded: “Well done to whoever that was”.
  • Numerous Islamophobic comments, including one commenter calling Khan a “terrorist sympathiser”, and another saying that the London mayor “will see a big upsurge in public feelings and possibly major riots, mosques burnt down and innocent Muslims unable to walk the streets”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

smellmycheese posted:

3 Bedfordians posting here does seem unusual

and me

went to Hastingsbury (rip) though, so we got our drugs by beating up the kids that went to the myriad of public schools for them

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
christ, whoever said they trying to time this for the locals was absolutely on the mark, what the gently caress kind of PR is this meant to be
https://twitter.com/ukhomeoffice/status/1785635671316537510

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The only people I knew who went to Hastingsbury called themselves the Hastingsbury Whores and used "literally" as a tic, the same way that later became a meme on the internet.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Look and lol at the state of the editor of the New Statesman

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When you're writing your fantasy stories you should avoid just making up words for everything just to make it sound different.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
starmerism a bowl of microwaved dogshit imo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
0 pillars

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I, for one , welcome our new, progressively real, securonomic briefcase wielding overlords

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
with a wee union jack cocktail umbrella perched in it

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

where’s the starmer stone

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

where’s the starmer stone

thats just Starmer himself

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I know Weet Hot Takes are frowned on ITT but still:

(Just had to see how her we are lit site is doing - nothing since 2021 LOL)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In fairness to Ms Weetabix I kinda admire the grift of becoming a councillor, turning up to like two meetings while pocketing the salary, then convincing some dumbasses to give you a grant for a 'media platform' which you proceed to, again, pocket and do nothing with

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I divide Starmerism into three pillars: one focused on dullness, one on breaking promises and one on copying the Tories

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hello, my name is Mr Ressarts and I come from uh... Argentina. Yes, that'll do.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

In fairness to Ms Weetabix

this is an insult to the real Ms Weetabix, who has only ever broadcast reasonable opinions, primarily about the inadequacy of titchy breakfasts

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Leetabix

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the Weetabix Gang

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

lmao :golfclap:

I need to dig out this atlas when I go back to my mum's next

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Must sting to have lost all that attention after being fully eclipsed in the poo poo take punching bag stakes by an old NME editor.

Edit: was in London for the first time in years this week and did a visit to the Imperial War Museum. Their "new" (few years old now) Holocaust exhibition is really well done and really hard hitting. Recommend it if you're nearby, but allow an hour or so of downtime after.

Mesopotamia fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 1, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The thread has performed the respectful one hour downtime in honour of the museum exhibit.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mesopotamia posted:

Must sting to have lost all that attention after being fully eclipsed in the poo poo take punching bag stakes by an old NME editor.

Yeah, imagine being a successful attention-seeker who achieves glorious publicity, then peaks and is pushed aside by newer, even more outspoken and extreme replacements. Must feel like being one of those failed gods that blow sadly around the place in Terry Pratchet's Small Gods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder what a discworld take on social media would be like.

At least he never had to live to witness it.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I've just got back from this show in town:

https://threeacresandacow.co.uk/

Basically a two-hour tour of land revolt and protest in Britain and Ireland from the Norman Conquest through the medium of folk songs.

But it ends up being basically a history of English peasant/working class radicalism. Songs (including singalongs), poems, conversational lectures and storytelling and lots of bringing the subjects of all these centuries-old songs back to modern issues like austerity and climate change.

It was a case of 'went for the music, stayed for the politics, bowled over by the storytelling' for me. A real insight into how there's a whole other sort of national history out there to the one you get taught and is continually reinforced.

I'd strongly recommend it to anyone ITT who can get to a show.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

he... he died in 2015 in twitter's comparative heyday, and long after facebook first caused a genocide

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, I thought it was longer ago than that.

I do still feel like true social media derangement is like late 2010s to now though. And I don't know how much he was on twitter before his death, I would hope not very much.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't Pterry actually spend a good bit of time on Oblivion message boards during his final years, getting help with mods so he could befriend the goblins? I feel like he got to see the nicer side of social media.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He was a usenet poster IIRC so yeah obviously oldschool computer nerd.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
The klacks was on its way to that, but never got past the 90s internet stage

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, imagine being a successful attention-seeker who achieves glorious publicity, then peaks and is pushed aside by newer, even more outspoken and extreme replacements. Must feel like being one of those failed gods that blow sadly around the place in Terry Pratchet's Small Gods.

You: use that attention for some sort of pointless centrist councillor race

Your successor: uses that attention to date a hot Hollywood actress

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Pistol_Pete posted:

There's just no room for a plucky amateur anymore. Not even on youtube. The production values arms-race of 2020 saw that off. All the internet niches are fully professional roles now. Twitter morons are band 6 and that comes with BUPA.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Endjinneer posted:

There's just no room for a plucky amateur anymore. Not even on youtube. The production values arms-race of 2020 saw that off. All the internet niches are fully professional roles now. Twitter morons are band 6 and that comes with BUPA.

i don't think that's really true. theres a number of growing youtube channels that are literally just some nerd in a room staring at a phone. you gotta be good at a niche, but it's still happening

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

well congrats on your success but we can't all replicate it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Tesseraction posted:

well congrats on your success but we can't all replicate it

oh i am definitely not charismatic enough to youtube or anything else lol

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ray wiliam johnson was one of the most successful youtubers of his day, and the bar has only got lower

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Jeez I'm getting fed up of comments around the interwebs about "men of fighting age" & "you should stay & fight for your country" when in many cases "fighting for your country" would have you marked down as a terrorist or, say, fighting for the govt would get you being killed by the UK/US/France/rebel alliance axis, fighting for the 'rebels' would get you killed by the Russia/Iran/govt axis.

I guess most posters on here are 'fighting age'.

One of the most moving incidents at a gig I experienced was in the early 90s when the first Iraq war had started, the papers were full of hints that young men would be called up and I think it was Acid Reign or maybe Lawnmower Deth who did a cover of War Pigs and the whole place - 99% young men of 'fighting age' sang along with it with meaning.

(I might have posted this before eons ago).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i am fighting age in the sense that I use a LOT of voltarol

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jippa posted:

Any posters from terrington st clement? :11tea:

Cross partridge posting from the map thread.

Blimey, that's not that far away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't recall who recommended The Comet is Coming in here but I've been listening to them a lot the last couple of days and they're really good, so thanks.