Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

rotor posted:

i had not heard of this process before and maybe you hadnt either so heres a thing
https://www.spglobal.com/mobility/en/research-analysis/gigacasting-the-hottest-trend-in-car-manufacturing.html

tl;dr basically huge, really complex aluminum castings instead of a bunch of subassemblies. sounds neat until you think of what happens if part of the casting is damaged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJx6cF-H__I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

rotor posted:

i had not heard of this process before and maybe you hadnt either so heres a thing
https://www.spglobal.com/mobility/en/research-analysis/gigacasting-the-hottest-trend-in-car-manufacturing.html

tl;dr basically huge, really complex aluminum castings instead of a bunch of subassemblies. sounds neat until you think of what happens if part of the casting is damaged.

I seem to remember... aha here's an internet archive of a reddit post https://web.archive.org/web/20230829185956/https://www.reddit.com/r/RealTesla/comments/maqqfc/tesla_giga_casting_failure/

quote:

I work in casting R&D and am hence very familiar with Teslas GIGA Casting plans. I have heard Rumors that they are at 10% success rate in casting these. I.e they have to shredder/remelt 90% of their castings. To give you some perspective. A success rate 99% is aimed for. 95% is reasonable. Below 90% and your profits are melting away. Here is a screenshot from a YouTube Video (Gabeincal -does weekly drone flyovers) showing the GIGA Casting Machine.

[dead link 1]

In the bottom corner you can see all the reject containers (Look through the youtube videos and you'll find that these are filled fully atleast weekly). Keep in mind that this is by just ONE casting machine. Here is a picture of the same containers being shreddered.

[dead link 2]

sub-90% success rate means burning money, Tesla apparently had a ~10% success rate

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Tesseraction posted:

sub-90% success rate means burning money, Tesla apparently had a ~10% success rate

just pass the cost along to the customer, blammo, 10% success rate is profitable

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lemme know if y'all need more business advice

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

lemme know if y'all need more business advice

i'm the technoking of a major AI and robotics company. somebody wrote some nasty bathroom graffiti regarding myself and my mother. How to handle?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm the technoking of a major AI and robotics company. somebody wrote some nasty bathroom graffiti regarding myself and my mother. How to handle?

hire bodyguards to follow you around work about it

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

rotor posted:

idk the article says that a lot of chinese mfgrs are adopting it. not sure if thats a good sign or what tho i guess

steel and aluminum casting is growing significantly in china right now and not for little stuff but safety critical parts for steering and braking. the big chinese firms have the money and know-how to invest in this and make it successful whereas tesla does not have those things

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

tweet a photo and get your mother to reply about how its factually incorrect and anatomically unlikely

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Cat Face Joe posted:

steel and aluminum casting is growing significantly in china right now and not for little stuff but safety critical parts for steering and braking. the big chinese firms have the money and know-how to invest in this and make it successful whereas tesla does not have those things

i mean, tesla does have 13 billion in cash right now, maybe they don't have the latter though.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

I seem to remember... aha here's an internet archive of a reddit post https://web.archive.org/web/20230829185956/https://www.reddit.com/r/RealTesla/comments/maqqfc/tesla_giga_casting_failure/

this is insane. using scrap is a very economical way to control the price of your parts but not when you're scraping/casting one-to-one

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i mean, tesla does have 13 billion in cash right now, maybe they don't have the latter though.

seems like it's doing them extremely well!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

it should fall into the same success ratio as fabs and chip processing, just without the ability to use imperfect casts for different markets

lmao at them even attempting that

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Jonny 290 posted:

I know this is a wild, controversial take - and may get me in trouble - but I do not in fact think elon is 'good with computers' at all.

!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1785358335971344432

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

eh just back into the feed hopper. remelt and recast it. i'm sure aluminum isnt energy intensive to re-cast
it's free real estate aluminum

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I think one of the "Tesla Factories are safety nightmares" stories said that the giga-casting machines would spray molten metal all over, and there was no effort to fix it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

lol he's determined to kill tesla

electrek posted:

Elon Musk is throwing his weight around Tesla, comes in like a wrecking ball

Fred Lambert
| May 1 2024 - 8:59 am PT

We are getting more information on the ongoing layoffs at Tesla. Several employees describe the situation as Elon Musk “throwing his weight around” to solidify his status after being mostly absent over the last year.

But he is coming in like a dangerous wrecking ball.

Sources familiar with the matter told Electrek that Musk was not as frequently present at Tesla as he used to be over the last year and since his acquisition of Twitter.

That has changed over the last few weeks.

Musk is now all over Tesla or at least, his presence is being felt everywhere at Tesla.

--

Tesla started another wave of layoffs this week – including the entire charging organization.

Now, Electrek has learned that Musk also gutted Tesla’s cathode material manufacturing team in Texas.

It started with Anthony Thurston, Senior Manager, Cathode Materials & Manufacturing at Tesla, earlier this month, but Electrek has learned that Musk has now let go of most of the team.

Sources familiar with the matter describe a difficult situation at Tesla right now. Uncertainty, confusion, and frustration are the main feelings going around the offices.

Several sources confirmed that there are rumors around Tesla that the vehicle engineering and design departments are next.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I hate that Tesla pretends they invented casting big parts for a vehicle.

My grandpappy was "gigacasting" Sherman hulls in WWII!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
what is his goal? why is he taking apart his own company?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a warning to the shareholders

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
if musk becomes threatening you can trap him in a yellow tape perimeter like some sort of very stupid occult manifestation

...!
Oct 5, 2003

he's mad he's not getting his $56 billion and this is his tantrum over it lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Trillhouse posted:

I hate that Tesla pretends they invented casting big parts for a vehicle.

My grandpappy was "gigacasting" Sherman hulls in WWII!

that is sand casting. this came up in the ai (cars) thread about it too. we have been able to sand cast gigantic parts forever, because all you do is mix sand with oil and carve a shape into it and pour in the molten metal. casting size is only limited by how much space and sand you've got. die casting, where you inject the metal into a sealed reusable mold under pressure, is much faster but is limited to smaller objects.

these tesla die castings are the largest die castings ever made. in that sense it's impressive. it is true that you can theoretically save time and money in manufacturing if you can make one huge solid piece with all the geometry and fittings molded in instead of having to assemble it out of many parts. it is also true that these things are gonna be basically impossible to repair in a structurally sound way should they get damaged. in reality, though, that's not as much of a problem as it sounds like, since for basically every new car any accident violent enough to damage the frame just means a write-off. nobody is going in and hammering out unibodies and re-welding frames except those insane russian scam artists.

also, tesla didn't invent this giant die casting technology. they just contracted a company that makes casting machines (Idra) to make the biggest one ever. tesla can claim no real responsibility.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

the managers of those departments didn't fire enough people like he told them to, so as punishment he's getting rid of those managers and their entire departments

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
he's showing the shareholders that he has become, how you say, indispensable?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

it is also true that these things are gonna be basically impossible to repair in a structurally sound way should they get damaged. in reality, though, that's not as much of a problem as it sounds like, since for basically every new car any accident violent enough to damage the frame just means a write-off. nobody is going in and hammering out unibodies and re-welding frames except those insane russian scam artists.

but like when all parts of the body are the frame then you're gonna get frame damage a lot more, because some of those frame members look real thin. Like when you say "violent enough to bend the frame" is sounds bad but when the rear door surround (or whatever) is also the frame then im not really so sure how violent that needs to be

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
imagine the morale inside a company where the mad ceo is just eliminating whole departments and divisions seemingly at whim with nothing resembling an actual plan or strategy

lol

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

he won't stop until tesla is just as successful as x

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
our man's burning it all down rofl

https://twitter.com/doyendon/status/1785750284314030397

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ahahahaha

you love to see it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

meltdown may is the most wonderful time of the year

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess once this batch of designer stimulants runs out they're going to have to hire a bunch of people back at inflated rates like they did at x, the everything app

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

some excellent comments in there

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

this is the fastest I've seen meltdown may kick into gear

normally it takes a day or two to really hit its speed

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
tesla fixed the one weird trick my work used to use to get rush delivery on stuff, they used to let you put the requested delivery date for things you ordered in the past and the further in the past that you requested the delivery date, then the more overdue it would show up in their system and your order would go higher up in their queue. you could get parts shipping next day doing this by requesting a delivery date like 6 months ago

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

more money for him, gently caress you

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
what the hell is even left at tesla after firing 6 whole departments or whatever

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tesseraction posted:

this is the fastest I've seen meltdown may kick into gear

normally it takes a day or two to really hit its speed

they provide all the torque all the time so it's way faster to get going

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

what the hell is even left at tesla after firing 6 whole departments or whatever

product development (elon and a bunch of drugs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

shareholders love mass layoffs, because there's a general presumption that all the least profitable teams and least efficient workers are getting fired, leaving only the most productive and valuable workers to work on the company's most important profit centers. so they'll assume that number will surely go up as a result, and will stop bothering the company's execs for a couple of quarters

even if the layoffs look dumb as hell at first glance, shareholders are willing to chalk it up to management making painful and tough decisions to restore profitability in a difficult situation, so CEOs can buy themselves a bit of breathing room by just randomly firing a fifth of the workforce

also, drugs