Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I wouldn't mind a difficulty 10 and some more enemy types and natural base defenses to work around and more pre-made structure types to litter the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Cheap Shot posted:

It’s a bit moot on either side of that argument regardless because as far as I can tell the devs absolutely aren’t making gear balance changes with the goal being to make 9s harder. Seems like they’re sincerely trying to bring everything closer to how they feel weapons and stratagems are supposed to perform and function across all difficulties, and naturally promote diversity in player loadouts. They’re doing way better on this front than where they started.

Why are you setting that aside? Hey! Don’t set that aside, I need that! It’s entirely what my post was about! Bring it back! :argh:

I agree i dont think AH is doing that. a lot of the stupid difficulty arguments on here are misunderstandings, either on purpose or not, of people saying "I dont want this to happen" rather than "I think AH is doing this". These may even be statements in response to someone saying "I want AH to do this" which gets everyone mixed up. It would be good if posters realized when people are being aspirational, hoping for the game to move in a certain direction, or if they are commenting on actual changes and current game balance. 9s get referenced a lot because we probably have an outsized population of 9s gamers as well as people who only want 9s to be playable by discord groups. This causes friction.

And as for setting the devs aside... too bad haha! We can talk about it but I mean im on the opinion that what devs say and do is often different and many times they may not understand exactly whats going on in their own games.

I am glad AH has their vision for the game but some of what is said \ done doesnt match the reality on the ground.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

For the record, my mention of masochism and adding difficulty 11 was supposed to be tongue in cheek hyperbole. I figured if the devs intended 9 to be harder, it makes more sense this early on to just scale it harder. I had no idea helldivers 1 had additional difficulty levels added later. I need to process that for a while.

Lobok posted:

The number of player types that M:TG guy brought up might be excessive with all the Spike and Tommy and Angelica stuff but the goon who linked to it was right in that there are some player mindsets that are just not compatible. I know over the years there is definitely a camp that sees an I Win button and argues a game is boring if they're able to keep pressing it to win, and a camp that sees an I Win button and sees only the button itself as boring so they'll try other things instead.

There's just always going to be people who argue a game should be made harder and people who argue the player can make it harder for themselves.

I don’t think either reasoning is necessarily wrong, so it’s just up to what the devs want for their game. They chose to take away the button. I think it should be noted though that you can increase the hardest difficulties for those who want that, and the players who would rather self impose challenges can do so on any difficulty they wan’t which kinda seems like an everyone wins?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I wouldn't mind a difficulty 10 and some more enemy types and natural base defenses to work around and more pre-made structure types to litter the map.

They should make a Difficulty 10, but it's the exact same as 9 except that your guns jam randomly a lot and you get less rewards.

The Helldivers equivalent to the people who added the slipping mechanic in smash bros. so sweaty nerds stopped taking the game so seriously

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

All this arguing is traitorous and undemocratic.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009
It is not unreasonable for a player who wins Level 9s nearly every run to wish there were a difficulty level they could win around 50% of the time while trying their hardest. This shouldn't make anyone upset.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

And yet, helldiver, it do

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Jerkface posted:

And as for setting the devs aside... too bad haha!

Aggh! Bastard! You’re a bot sympathizer I know it! You wont get away with this!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Let me tell you guys the mlg pro strat for beating 9 bugs. Bring AT, locate your shift key, hit da bricks when poo poo gets stupid.

Pretty sure it’s similar for bots.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I'm level 54 and I like to chill and do difficulty 6 when I solo drop cause it seems to be the perfect level of chill shooting.

There are a ton of people higher level than me that seem to just sit in 6 and 7 cause they are a good time.

Nothing wrong with that.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

bless this mess

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

boz posted:

I'm level 54 and I like to chill and do difficulty 6 when I solo drop cause it seems to be the perfect level of chill shooting.

There are a ton of people higher level than me that seem to just sit in 6 and 7 cause they are a good time.

Nothing wrong with that.

no anyone who plays on a lower difficulty than you is a scrub and anyone above is a sweaty try hard grognard and Arrowhead should ban anyone who plays differently than you

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I think they should make a difficulty 10 that's the same as difficulty 9 and see what happens.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So if I mainly use autocannons as my support weapon and want a primary that's good for doing fuckoff damage to medium-armoured enemies at extreme close range without any fear of blowing myself up, what're my options? Currently using a Dominator, which is adequate for the task, but wouldn't mind an alternative that trades the Dom's long-ranged sniping capabilities for better usability up close. If I need to snipe something, my cannon is generally good enough.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Isn't it weird that all our democracy officers look the same?

Haha just askin questions!

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

So if I mainly use autocannons as my support weapon and want a primary that's good for doing fuckoff damage to medium-armoured enemies at extreme close range without any fear of blowing myself up, what're my options? Currently using a Dominator, which is adequate for the task, but wouldn't mind an alternative that trades the Dom's long-ranged sniping capabilities for better usability up close. If I need to snipe something, my cannon is generally good enough.

against bugs I really like the punisher and against bots you can't go wrong with a scorcher

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Can the Punisher punch through Hive Guard armour? That's what I like my Dom for - don't have to get fancy when one of those comes close.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

Tryhard whinelords complaining that the hardest level of the game isn't hard enough are the worst.

You want a challenge? Play a mission only using your sidearm and the precision strike. There you go. Fun new challenge.

Oh, that's too hard now? You want it harder but not like that? Get hosed.

The worst thing a game developer can do is cater to its tiny crowd of extremely noisy 5,000-hour poopsockers. They are wrong about everything and they will never be pleased. I'm glad that Arrowhead is so far mostly ignoring them. Keep it up

Harder difficulties are coming, don't be mad. I already did the no shooting stuff ages ago

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They will likely tie them to some unlocks like they did in HD1. Bad news for people who think you need to poopsock in this game to play it.

If anything they should add more objectives, lower the mission time and reduce the reinforcement budget downwards for 10-15 or whatever they are planning. 9 can be left alone since people are used to it. They should add a booster to add like +1 minute to mission time so boosters become hard choices as the difficulty increases. Maybe revert back the old cooldown modifier values or allow multiple of the same option to stack, so double atmospheric spores, or double complex stratagem planning :suicide:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 2, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Darth Walrus posted:

Can the Punisher punch through Hive Guard armour? That's what I like my Dom for - don't have to get fancy when one of those comes close.
No but it'll keep them stunlocked so they never adopt their hunkered-down stance and you can just shoot between the plates.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I am level 12 and I am kind of lost? Feels like all of my weapons suck and I get in situations where I have 3+ big dudes chasing me and the only option is to die or hope my team takes them out because I can't actually hurt them.

I'm hanging around 5s and it feels like the medal income has slowed down a ton. I could try 6s but it feels like I'm barely damaging anything tougher than light enemies. Does anyone have some advice?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Xun posted:

I am level 12 and I am kind of lost? Feels like all of my weapons suck and I get in situations where I have 3+ big dudes chasing me and the only option is to die or hope my team takes them out because I can't actually hurt them.

I'm hanging around 5s and it feels like the medal income has slowed down a ton. I could try 6s but it feels like I'm barely damaging anything tougher than light enemies. Does anyone have some advice?

Buy the EAT-17, that's your anti big guy weapon.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Darth Walrus posted:

As someone else who favors AC, right now against bots I’m running Sickle and stun grenades. The sickle can mow the lawn of trash mobs better than anything else I’ve tried as long as you feather it a bit and get used to the wind up. It’s uptime from not needing reloads if you handle it right makes it feel really special. It can also focus devastator faces extremely well, especially when you end up too close to autocannon them. The stuns and extra grenade armor give you a solid way to deal with hulks and berserkers and buy you time to cool the sickle between berserker kills. Pick your poison on sidearm. I’ve been rolling grenade pistol because of the stuns, but it doesn’t feel good to me so I’m still shopping.

If the sickle doesn’t tickle, then maybe the Adjudicator? It still feels too thirsty for its mag size to me but everything else about it is excellent and punchy. Someone better than me can probably thrive with it.

As for bug loadout, I’m still finding myself…

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Infinitum posted:

They don't actually. My friend has a white DO

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GruntyThrst posted:

Buy the EAT-17, that's your anti big guy weapon.

The anti-materiel rifle (or, later, the autocannon) is a good alternative pick if you're fighting bots, which have more medium-armoured medium units and medium-armoured weak spots on their heavy units (shoot the glowing red eyes and orange vents).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xun posted:

When I was level 12 I am pretty sure my loadout was the Defender (submachine gun), Redeemer (machine pistol), frag grenades, EAT anti-tank, and whatever stratagems I had unlocked. I'd recommend the eagle airstrike and the gatling sentry. (assuming you're playing mostly bugs here).

The EAT is an extremely good anti-heavy-guy weapon right up to maximum difficulty. Definitely buy that and practice with it.

Get more medals by playing harder missions yeah, or by doing the personal orders, or just waiting for the next 50 medal major order to be completed. You don't have to actually participate to get them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cheap Shot posted:

I don’t think either reasoning is necessarily wrong, so it’s just up to what the devs want for their game. They chose to take away the button. I think it should be noted though that you can increase the hardest difficulties for those who want that, and the players who would rather self impose challenges can do so on any difficulty they wan’t which kinda seems like an everyone wins?

Oh, I wasn't passing judgment. I don't think either one is wrong either. That's kinda why both'll always exist. I'm in the 2nd camp and I've come to realize when I come across a 1st camper we're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

johnny park posted:

They don't actually. My friend has a white DO

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Another thing to note about engaging bug heavies is that they have an armour-stripping mechanic. Shoot them with heavy weapons and you'll blast away their shells to reveal the tasty, freshly-cooked flesh beneath, letting you damage them with lighter weapons. The classic example is using an EAT to strip the armour from a Charger's leg and then dumping your Liberator's mag into the exposed orange bits, which was superseded by players going for one-hit decapitations once their head health was nerfed but is still a viable strategy if you don't trust your aim or can't get a good angle.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Infinitum posted:

My friend has one with an eyepatch but mine has no eyepatch. Was thinking of rerolling my account until I also get an eyepatch guy.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I hope the bridge crew gets festive hats for holidays

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Xun posted:

Join the discord and play with us. We’ll drag you into 7’s and teach you by doing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jerkface posted:

I hope the bridge crew gets festive hats for holidays

Liberty Day is in October. There'll surely be an event for that.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Lobok posted:

Oh, I wasn't passing judgment. I don't think either one is wrong either. That's kinda why both'll always exist. I'm in the 2nd camp and I've come to realize when I come across a 1st camper we're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

The camps are terrorist propaganda. They don’t exist and speaking about them is treason citizen.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Liberty Day is in October. There'll surely be an event for that.

October 26 specifically.

If one looks there are several events on that day that make selecting it darkly hilarious :smith:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Darth Walrus posted:

Another thing to note about engaging bug heavies is that they have an armour-stripping mechanic. Shoot them with heavy weapons and you'll blast away their shells to reveal the tasty, freshly-cooked flesh beneath, letting you damage them with lighter weapons. The classic example is using an EAT to strip the armour from a Charger's leg and then dumping your Liberator's mag into the exposed orange bits, which was superseded by players going for one-hit decapitations once their head health was nerfed but is still a viable strategy if you don't trust your aim or can't get a good angle.

If they had a robust armor-stripping mechanic there would be more to talk about but as it is, anything other than a OHKO on a charger is probably a mistake on your part. It’s a lot harder to dunk an EAT on a charger’s leg and follow it up with a bunch of bullets than it is to just slam the EAT on their gigantic forehead at the center of their mass

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Xun posted:

People have given a lot of good advice about anti-tank weaponry for Chargers and Bile Titans but this sounds like it could also be about tactics when fighting medium enemies, where AT weaponry won't help. Chargers and Bile Titans are the only enemies in the game that you can't reasonably kill without heavy anti-armor weaponry and they're both (usually) infrequent below difficulty 7. What enemies in particular are you having trouble with? Most of them just require an adjustment in your strategy compared to lower difficulties, like knowing where their weakspots are or how to exploit their behavior.

It's also worth noting that the spawn pool a mission has is generated at the start of the mission and varies from mission to mission. If you are running into a lot of Chargers on difficulty 5, just know that that is not common and will not be the case in most D5 missions you do. Sometimes you get missions that very heavily favor them and it can seem overwhelming especially if you're not used to it, but more often you'll get spawn pools at difficulty 5 that either don't include chargers/BTs (or hulks/tanks) or only spawn a small handful of them throughout the entire mission.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 2, 2024

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Fire breaker is what you want against bugs, decent stopping power, good handling, and great wave clear up close against fodder.

Against bots I’d stick with Dominator or Scorcher, maybe Punisher to stagger zerkers because they take too much AC ammo.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I forgot what options level 12s but you’d help out your team better if you’re loadout is something that clears out mass bugs/bots and you stick with your teammates. Either that or play lower until you can get an AT weapon.

IMO level 12 probably cannot do 5s without buddies. You’re just going to run into this problem unless there’s someone high level who’s handling heavies for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

At level 12 you have access to EATs, Autocannon, Eagle Airstrike, Precision Orbital, Recoilless Rifle, AMR, Eagle 110 pods, and Grenade Launcher. You're also 3 levels away from Arc Thrower & Orbital Laser.

Get EATs, AC, Airstrike, 110 Pods and you can play bots or bugs and handle everything. Autocannon mulches everything except super heavies and you can call down EATs. Or skip AC and run EATs and 3 call ins. Precision Strike is actually really good.

You can clear up to difficulty 9 at level 12. You have the tools!