Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

padijun posted:

With perfect artifacts or something? The mythical 8 characters you need has been a talking point since 1.0 or 1.1 and no one has told me who they are

If it's 8 characters who can clear content that's all you really "need".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hilariously given the current discussion, I got Jingliu off the first-of-the-month passes. :toot:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

but which 8

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Kyrosiris posted:

Hilariously given the current discussion, I got Jingliu off the first-of-the-month passes. :toot:

It's funny that she was rerun alongside Aventurine. I got both-- I'd been wanting Jingliu partially because I don't enjoy using Yanqing, but mostly because I like Blade and wanted to complete his team-- so Yanqing being more usable with Aventurine is moot.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I feel like people are reading that post as saying it's pointless to level more than 8 characters when I'm just trying to express not every credit spent on a less optimal character is wasted. My goal in this game is making the strongest Clara and hoping Screwllum is somehow conductive to a robodads team. That's what's fun to me.

Though every time this conversation comes up I think of the joke post in the Pokémon thread that their favorite pokemon is Landorus T.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 1, 2024

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I really should roll for Aventurine. I could use another reliable sustain.

Will make my mind this weekend, I suppose.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Zokari posted:

i just don't understand tying yourself into knots to make a character barely as good as a character that requires much less effort or investment

The difference being you have to actively pull for Jingliu while Yanqing is someone you can get for "free", whether from 50/50s you're bound to lose at some point or the standard banner

For non-whales gacha is partially a resource management game, so the comparison matters because people who have Yanqing and Aventurine (or hell, a sufficiently fast Gepard) may think they "need" to pull for Jingliu specifically to be their Ice DPS more than they actually do

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Quote is not edit

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

blizzardvizard posted:

The difference being you have to actively pull for Jingliu while Yanqing is someone you can get for "free", whether from 50/50s you're bound to lose at some point or the standard banner

For non-whales gacha is partially a resource management game, so the comparison matters because people who have Yanqing and Aventurine (or hell, a sufficiently fast Gepard) may think they "need" to pull for Jingliu specifically to be their Ice DPS more than they actually do

I dunno, as someone who tried to make Yanqing work with a sufficiently stacked Gepard, he only felt useful in the context of "my only limited DPS is Kafka, because the pulls I've done have been for supports/sustains".

Of course now I have Jingliu and Acheron and Kafka/BS so Yanqing got sent to a farm upstate. :v:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I got a c5 Natasha off my standard passes today which breaks my usual monthly reward of 20 crap filler pulls between Star Rail and Genshin's monthlies.

Also I marathoned the bartender event and now I kind of want to stop by the liquor store after work? I don't drink but suddenly feel the need to pour myself a Let's Be Real.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

geppy is too sp intensive. its really only aventurine that works.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Gepard should be 100% sp positive? The biggest problem is you only get his technique's shield to start and need to rely on his ult to keep the shield. Aventurine starts with a normal strength shields, but unlike Gepard he will be using his skill occasionally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

update: i got geppy's ult and skill confused because i woke up at 2 pm. i will now be executed for my crimes.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I wish Gepard weren't so goddamn slow.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yes if the incoming damage is too much Gepard has to use his skill to generate more energy to refresh his shield and only Aventurine has a stackable shield so he can top it off constantly while Gepard essentially"wastes" any leftover shield when he ults again. If the goal is to avoid any damage to hp at all rather than Not Dying, Gepard is much worse.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Genovera posted:

I wish Gepard weren't so goddamn slow.

Gepard being sub-100 while aventurine is 106 is incredibly mean.

e: I actually forgot that gepard is the 2nd slowest unit in the game behind clara and given clara's mechanics gepard is the slowest guy that actually wants SPD.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 1, 2024

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

"Hmm, I want aventurine but really need some good ice damage. Let's go throw some pulls at Jingliu. Oh, an early 5*. And ice!"

How apropo of the current conversation.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Garrand posted:

"Hmm, I want aventurine but really need some good ice damage. Let's go throw some pulls at Jingliu. Oh, an early 5*. And ice!"

How apropo of the current conversation.

Dread it, run from it, destiny arrives all the same.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

dioxazine posted:

I really should roll for Aventurine. I could use another reliable sustain.

Will make my mind this weekend, I suppose.

Same, my only shielders are March and Fireblazer, so I really could use him... but I also want to save for Firefly. So I dunno, I need to figure it out soon

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm just ready for this banner to end. I'm very tempted to grab Aventurine's e1, but I'd rather have Boothill.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also, I'm ready for triple drops to be done. It's interfering with my normal farming. But I have managed to put Ratio in a new set, which is a sidegrade at best, and I even upgraded Aventurine's gear. Aventurine still isn't an actual dps, but he has something like 160 crit damage and does around 20k single target with his ult after buffs.

But 2 whole speed boots with a single crit rate sub and the rest are poo poo.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
I need pull advice, help me goons! Between Aventurine, Robin, SAAAAMM, Fu Xuan, and Huohuo (whenever she gets rerun), I can afford 2 of the 5.

1. I can't afford both Aventurine and Robin though.
2. FUA is fun and I personally enjoy the playstyle. My current FUA roster is E2 Clara, Topaz, Ratio. Well, and Herta I guess.
3. I do have Ruan Mei, so that makes Robin slightly less attractive. RM is usually stapled to my Kafka/Black Swan team though.
4. Tank/sustain is a weak spot in my roster. I have Gepard and Luocha, but the Gepard side really feels the lack of cleanse. I have Lynx and Gallagher somewhat built, but they often struggle to keep up with healing throughput.
5. Fire is my weakest DPS element.

To me these are the options:
1. My original plan was Huohuo (or Fu Xuan) + Sam. Huohuo plugs the cleanser-shaped hole in my roster, plus her team energy on her ult would open up different team rotations. Sam because MECHA, plus fire DPS.
2. Chase my FUA dreams, go Aventurine + Sam, and accept that I might be weak to cleanse/CC.
3. Chase my FUA dreams, go Robin + Huohuo/FX, and accept that fire stages will be a struggle.

I am looking to do endgame content. The latest MoC and PF are a real struggle and feel like a huge step up from previous ones.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Aventurine gives everyone something like 50% eff res when they have a shield. Doesn't stop the CC, but it helps.

I'm all in on FUA and somewhat on DoT. I don't have Ruan Mei or Black Swan, but Kafka and Sampo still wreck a lot of poo poo.

I'm also skipping Robin. Partly because I hope Jade will be almost as good for FUA, though I know she won't. And partly because I want Boothill because I think Break Team is going to be as important as the other two, if not more so. Also, he's a space cowboy, and that's cool.

Aventurine is easily the most comfortable shielder in the game right now and the easiest to build. Him and Luocha just mean people don't die.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Zokari posted:

it's funny that a 5* character that was in the game from the start is only now, a year later, sort of barely viable

Nobody remembers or cares anymore, but before JY came out Yanqing and to an extent Gepard were literally required to max MoC.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

If your weakness is tank/sustain I can't see any reason not to get Aventurine.

https://twitter.com/cielrayze/status/1785594707575484630
I'm coming around on Robin though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

facepalmolive posted:

I need pull advice, help me goons! Between Aventurine, Robin, SAAAAMM, Fu Xuan, and Huohuo (whenever she gets rerun), I can afford 2 of the 5.

1. I can't afford both Aventurine and Robin though.
2. FUA is fun and I personally enjoy the playstyle. My current FUA roster is E2 Clara, Topaz, Ratio. Well, and Herta I guess.
3. I do have Ruan Mei, so that makes Robin slightly less attractive. RM is usually stapled to my Kafka/Black Swan team though.
4. Tank/sustain is a weak spot in my roster. I have Gepard and Luocha, but the Gepard side really feels the lack of cleanse. I have Lynx and Gallagher somewhat built, but they often struggle to keep up with healing throughput.
5. Fire is my weakest DPS element.

To me these are the options:
1. My original plan was Huohuo (or Fu Xuan) + Sam. Huohuo plugs the cleanser-shaped hole in my roster, plus her team energy on her ult would open up different team rotations. Sam because MECHA, plus fire DPS.
2. Chase my FUA dreams, go Aventurine + Sam, and accept that I might be weak to cleanse/CC.
3. Chase my FUA dreams, go Robin + Huohuo/FX, and accept that fire stages will be a struggle.

I am looking to do endgame content. The latest MoC and PF are a real struggle and feel like a huge step up from previous ones.

If you're musing a sustain, Aventurine both fits your FuA like and provides that. I'd say he should be the priority and then rely on the imaginary boys to keep you safe. It would mean skipping Robin, but I think getting two sustains is the first step to moc success. Granted I am a Huohuo doubter and think the only team I like her on is DoT. Fu Xuan is pretty exchangable with Aventurine, so really I'd pick your fav between the two. I'd say Sustain and Harmony have priority over dps, but since you're missing one of Robin or Aventurine/Fu Xuan given rerun timing, that's the tough choice you'll have to address. With only one other limited, I'd lean sustain personally.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hypocrisy posted:

If your weakness is tank/sustain I can't see any reason not to get Aventurine.

https://twitter.com/cielrayze/status/1785594707575484630
I'm coming around on Robin though.

Do Robin's attacks during her ult count towards the Physical set bonus? That's cool if so.

Also, I agree with Eimi. Sustain and support should be a priority, but you can get away with Tingyun and/or Hanya/Asta on your second team.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They do not, so she has to attack or get punched 4 times to max out the bonus.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Sounds like a.prime candidate for 2pc Physical/2pc Musketeer! And Glamoth, probably.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Definitely not Glamoth as you are not building speed on the lady who is literally taking no turns for at least one cycle.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Fair. Probably just do Broken Keel then for some extra damage for everyone.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Eimi posted:

but I think getting two sustains is the first step to moc success.

So ironically I've actually been looking to be less reliant on sustain units. Healing harder won't help you make timers; you just need enough sustain to limp across the finish line on time. On that one MoC with the meme boss, I actually swapped out my sustain for Welt (Welt + RM pseudo-sustain basically) and it actually worked out better -- I was able to break it before it got to memedeath any of my units. It was an enormous brainburner though; not sure if I'd ever want to do that again.

Gepardtalk: Gepard's (and other 4 star sustains') real problem is that he doesn't provide any offensive buffs to the rest of your team, as the more recent sustain units do. Same issue with Luocha really, but at least the offensive purge occasionally comes in handy, so at least he has non-zero utility. Gepard doesn't even cleanse!

Also smugposting since I totally called this back in :checks: July last year --

facepalmolive posted:

I think he [Luocha] certainly will be powercrept in the future, in that he seems to only heal and heal a ton (well, and the aoe debuff purge). I wouldn't be surprised to see future healers provide pseudo-harmony or nihility debuffs.

Eimi posted:

I'd say Sustain and Harmony have priority over dps

Heh well, here's my problem. I'd actually been pulling mostly support on limited banners up until recently, until I realized I was hard stuck on some stages because I didn't have good elemental coverage for my DPS. I started to try and collect one dps of every element -- although now that I picked up Sparkle I could always QQ mono-quant my "weak" side, I suppose.

My support roster consists of:
Ruan Mei
Silverwolf
Sparkle
Bronya
Topaz (I consider her FUA support)
Pela (still a drat solid workhorse)
Tingyun (I'm running her less and less often these days short of very specific comps)
maybe Kafka (if you consider her a support/enabler for Black Swan, lol)
whatever you consider Welt to be

I guess if I put it this way, I should probably skip on Robin, huh.

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

mycot posted:

I would dispute this. Until PF came along this was true, but increasingly not now. With PF you kinda want 12~ viable characters, since while supports can be used in both, your sustains are usually not really needed in PF and the Destruction notably does much worse in PF.

I suspect this trend will accelerate with Apocalyptic Shadow and we're all going to ideally need 16~ viable characters on our rosters (though thankfully not all with their own relic sets at the same time, like Genshin seems to be about to do with its new endgame mode).

Mihoyo really seems to be pushing us not just to have elemental coverage, but also path coverage. By the end of 2.X, we may well be in a situation where we're recommending to new players "your goal in the endgame is to have two DPS of each element for ST/Burst and AoE, along with at least two sustains, supports for them all, and ideally you have a team for DoTs, a tem for FUAs, a team for Breaking..."

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

padijun posted:

With perfect artifacts or something? The mythical 8 characters you need has been a talking point since 1.0 or 1.1 and no one has told me who they are

- Monoquant
- Kafka/Black Swan DoT
- Bronya/Jingliu (ok realtalk: I just got Jingliu off the current banner and I must be playing her wrong, because I expected wtfbusted but she only feels mildly strong; certainly feels weaker than my DoT team)

(pick 2 out of the 3)

librarerun posted:

I would dispute this. Until PF came along this was true, but increasingly not now. With PF you kinda want 12~ viable characters, since while supports can be used in both, your sustains are usually not really needed in PF and the Destruction notably does much worse in PF.

Not disagreeing with you by any means, but this is another plus for Kafka/BS DoT. I was watching some Chinese guides on bilibili to practice my Chinese recently, and the guy pointed out that while the team isn't the best at either, it's like 80% as good as each of the BiS MoC and PF teams. Pretty high praise for a single team to invest into.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It doesn't hurt to have some ground rules as guidance but there's not really any need for total universal coverage with how the game in general and endgame both work.

I think you can just go with: "build two sustains, maybe have an eye out for this or that broad support, then try for whatever you think is fun or cool and assess what else you want mechanically from play"

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

facepalmolive posted:

Gepardtalk: Gepard's (and other 4 star sustains') real problem is that he doesn't provide any offensive buffs to the rest of your team, as the more recent sustain units do. Same issue with Luocha really, but at least the offensive purge occasionally comes in handy, so at least he has non-zero utility. Gepard doesn't even cleanse!

Also smugposting since I totally called this back in :checks: July last year --

facepalmolive posted:

I think he certainly will be powercrept in the future, in that he seems to only heal and heal a ton (well, and the aoe debuff purge). I wouldn't be surprised to see future healers provide pseudo-harmony or nihility debuffs.

Ehhhh, Luocha is also extremely SP positive (which opens options for your supports and DPS) and his damaging ult is nice for breaking imaginary weak enemies. His auto-skill also tends to immediately cleanse debuffs after a unit is targeted by single-target CC, since they often fall below half health from it. That's on top of his high healing output and purge.

Yes I will defend Luocha every time someone says he's been powercrept. He's really good.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

He's powercrept in the niche of healers that do more poo poo than just heal, but no healer is as comfortable and easy to use as him. He can go on any team, and you never have to worry about surviving.

My primary sustains for the past year have been Luocha and Fu Xuan. Going forward, it's Luocha and Aventurine.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Luocha + Multiplication is still the most SP positive sustain in the game, which is something. I have E2 DHIL so that's appreciated.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

blizzardvizard posted:

Luocha + Multiplication is still the most SP positive sustain in the game, which is something. I have E2 DHIL so that's appreciated.

I have enough speed issues that I've come to really value his lc. But I did get a copy of Multiplication S5, so I will be trying that on him as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Luocha's time will come again when Mihoyo has decided that purging is the next meta thing for 3.0 and there'll be a pile of poo poo you have to purge and you either have to use Luocha or whatever new unit they're pushing to consistently remove debuffs.

That being said if you have Ruan Mei and Sparkle that's solid coverage for every MoC/PF under the sun right now. Robin in that case is a total luxury pull. Zero sustain is a real thing, of course (that is how you 0 cycle MoC or max clear PF) but not completely necessary. Also what 0 cyclers don't tell you is how often they reset runs because of bad rng and how many takes they have to do to get a 0 cycle complete. 2 solid Sustains is still a good rule of thumb, people who are asking about what to roll are not doing bleeding edge 0 cycle strats.