Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Darth Walrus posted:

So if I mainly use autocannons as my support weapon and want a primary that's good for doing fuckoff damage to medium-armoured enemies at extreme close range without any fear of blowing myself up, what're my options? Currently using a Dominator, which is adequate for the task, but wouldn't mind an alternative that trades the Dom's long-ranged sniping capabilities for better usability up close. If I need to snipe something, my cannon is generally good enough.
I like the Punisher or Breaker. Slugger is also good but not a shotgun so sometimes its hard to aim in close quarters. Arc Blitzer is pretty decent too now if you have that warbond/unlock.

Darth Walrus posted:

Can the Punisher punch through Hive Guard armour? That's what I like my Dom for - don't have to get fancy when one of those comes close.

The punisher doesn't penetrate armor but that's what your AC is for. It does have stagger like the Dominator though.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

johnny park posted:

They don't actually. My friend has a white DO

They also have different names

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Most of my level 9 bug standard strats are available at level 12. So yeah.

The trick to having a good time is a good team and pubs are crapshoots.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Blitzer feels really good now.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Chronojam posted:

They also have different names

Makes sense though. It would be weird if the friend had the same name as the Democracy Officer.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Xun posted:

I am level 12 and I am kind of lost? Feels like all of my weapons suck and I get in situations where I have 3+ big dudes chasing me and the only option is to die or hope my team takes them out because I can't actually hurt them.

I'm hanging around 5s and it feels like the medal income has slowed down a ton. I could try 6s but it feels like I'm barely damaging anything tougher than light enemies. Does anyone have some advice?

Primary - spend your first 1000 super credits on Cutting Edge and then get the Sickle. I believe I used the Defender before I got it.

You'll also want to beeline impact grenades and use them on spewers. Could also run the Grenade Launcher for those if your team is dealing with Chargers.

Strategems - Expendable Anti-Tank, Eagle Airstrike, Eagle 110mm Rockets, and either Orbital Precision Strike or any sentry

If you're Mouse and Keyboard, rebind your strategem button to Long Press B or something else other than default, and the calldown buttons to the arrow keys instead of wasd. That will let you sprint and strafe while you do a calldown.

EAT is really good at dealing with every single thing you're having trouble with and teaches you to get used to using Strategems as problem solvers. I used sentries a lot at 5 and below though they fall off a lot as enemy counts increase.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

TheDemon posted:

Primary - spend your first 1000 super credits on Cutting Edge and then get the Sickle. I believe I used the Defender before I got it.

You'll also want to beeline impact grenades and use them on spewers. Could also run the Grenade Launcher for those if your team is dealing with Chargers.

Strategems - Expendable Anti-Tank, Eagle Airstrike, Eagle 110mm Rockets, and either Orbital Precision Strike or any sentry

If you're Mouse and Keyboard, rebind your strategem button to Long Press B or something else other than default, and the calldown buttons to the arrow keys instead of wasd. That will let you sprint and strafe while you do a calldown.

EAT is really good at dealing with every single thing you're having trouble with and teaches you to get used to using Strategems as problem solvers. I used sentries a lot at 5 and below though they fall off a lot as enemy counts increase.

What he said. Also don't be afraid to use strategems. Only one can be permanently run out and that's the big orbital laser that you don't have yet.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Helped a friend on some lvl4 bug missions and they were full of fuckin’ hunters like mostly invisible but I’d shoot at one and it would gently caress off and come back a minute later chasing me :argh:

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

Mesadoram posted:

Blitzer feels really good now.

No kidding, I don't have to take my time as much since it seems to hit more often than the arc thrower. Now I just run around the map throwing in airstrikes and orbitals. If those are on cooldown, I have grenade pistol and impacts to keep dishing out more democracy. :blastu:

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Video Nasty posted:

Helped a friend on some lvl4 bug missions and they were full of fuckin’ hunters like mostly invisible but I’d shoot at one and it would gently caress off and come back a minute later chasing me :argh:

The big invisible hunters are stalkers, kill them and head in the direction they come from/run away to to destroy their nest. They’ll keep coming for you otherwise and you can’t run or hide from them. :black101:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Blight Runner posted:

No kidding, I don't have to take my time as much since it seems to hit more often than the arc thrower. Now I just run around the map throwing in airstrikes and orbitals. If those are on cooldown, I have grenade pistol and impacts to keep dishing out more democracy. :blastu:

I've been pairing it with the Senator for obvious reasons.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

October 26 specifically.

If one looks there are several events on that day that make selecting it darkly hilarious :smith:

Are you talking about GTA: SA release? I bet you're talking about GTA: SA release

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Really crazy effortful study of Barrages here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdszYHqeeA4

Basically, not random at all.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

LazyMaybe posted:

The knight is nowhere near trash. It's not like, ideal, but it's crazy to call it trash.

The Knight is a perfectly fine weapon that just suffers from the fact that all its benefits (one handed, good dps, decent ammo economy) is shared with the Defender which a lot of people prefer for the range and ease of use

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

changing my name to "light skinneded democracy officer"

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The Knight is a perfectly fine weapon that just suffers from the fact that all its benefits (one handed, good dps, decent ammo economy) is shared with the Defender which a lot of people prefer for the range and ease of use

It also suffers from costing :10bux::10bux: to even have access to. I guess supposedly the next Warbond has another SMG (finally) but at the rate we're going the gun will somehow spawn Hulks on bug planets every other Tuesday

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

The trick to having a good time is a good team and pubs are crapshoots.

That sure is true, been doing some random quickplay to get into some 40 minute missions instead of the boring termicide tower ones, the amount of pubbies on helldive that will teamkill you over the slightest infraction in their head you've committed is staggering, someone was dead for half a minute and spamming spacebar to get revived, so I respawn them on me, they immediately try to teamkill me because they were "with their duo" and I "violated rule 3" ... anyway I kept away from him after that, solo'd 2 of the 3 egg cluster objectives and looted every sample and credit in every poi on that third of the map, run back in for extraction and they teamkill me "no traitors on my ship".

I wish I could say this was a rare, unique experience with pubs.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 2, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fabricated posted:

Basically, not random at all.
I always wondered about this but was too lazy to check. It certainly makes sense, true randomness would make them super frustrating and inconsistent.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 2, 2024

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I’m going to pick a date for my fascist satire video game to be liberty day! Better just check to find a date that doesn’t have any famous bad fascists crimes against humanity to ruin my tongue-in-cheek vibe!

(Fires up Wikipedia)

Oh…

Oh no….

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That sure is true, been doing some random quickplay to get into some 40 minute missions instead of the boring termicide tower ones, the amount of pubbies on helldive that will teamkill you over the slightest infraction in their head you've committed is staggering, someone was dead for half a minute and spamming spacebar to get revived, so I respawn them on me, they immediately try to teamkill me because they were "with their duo" and I "violated rule 3" ... anyway I kept away from him after that, solo'd 2 of the 3 egg cluster objectives and looted every sample and credit in every poi on that third of the map, run back in for extraction and they teamkill me.

The key to playing with pubs is to only play on difficulty 7+. This kind of stuff almost never happens. And pub 7s are much easier than pub 4-6s because the players are better. I overall have very good experiences playing with pubs and rarely lose missions at 7 or 8.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 2, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

The key to playing with pubs is to only play on difficulty 7+. This kind of stuff almost never happens. And pub 7s are much easier than pub 4-6s because the players are better. I overall have very good experiences playing with pubs and rarely lose missions at 7 or 8.

This was on helldive, difficulty 9.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's wild, I play exclusively with matchmaking on 7-9 (mostly 7-8 though) because I don't want to use voice chat and I've seen that kind of thing happen maybe 3 times in 200 hours played :shrug:

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Think I’ve had lovely attitude randoms like twice maybe and I play pretty much only 9s and am lvl 100+

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That sure is true, been doing some random quickplay to get into some 40 minute missions instead of the boring termicide tower ones, the amount of pubbies on helldive that will teamkill you over the slightest infraction in their head you've committed is staggering, someone was dead for half a minute and spamming spacebar to get revived, so I respawn them on me, they immediately try to teamkill me because they were "with their duo" and I "violated rule 3" ... anyway I kept away from him after that, solo'd 2 of the 3 egg cluster objectives and looted every sample and credit in every poi on that third of the map, run back in for extraction and they teamkill me "no traitors on my ship".

You must be getting some crazy bad luck, I run 9s more or less exclusively and have only had two bad experiences with pubbies in ~150 hours that I can remember. One game with a group of British football hooligan types in a 3-man and another game with some whining dork of a host who complained about us not doing objectives while we were in the middle of loading a SEAF and then kicked everyone. Only time I've ever seen deliberate teamkilling was when an objective bugged out and softlocked the mission so we all started shooting each other before quitting out.

It's a lot like DRG, if you're competent enough you can generally get through things alone in the highest levels and having allies is just speeding things up. Anyone taking things super serious and getting angry about suboptimal strategy or whatever is probably bad at the game.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
When you hit the reinforcement reminder button, does the notification go only to the person you're spectating or to all living players?

I assumed it was only the spectated player, but if it's everyone I should start calling out names to bring me in near my kit if it's something I care about.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In DRG you're also presented as a disposable cog in a horrible machine but your life is a lot more precious and the game reinforces bringing everyone home together. Coming out of Helldivers and jumping back into other horde shooters has been a bit of a jarring experience for just how actually disposable your life is in Helldivers, to the degree that you don't even need to make it back to the Pelican for the job to be complete. It stands out a lot more when you contrast Helldivers with other games like this, you surviving really doesn't matter on any level in this game and I think a handful of people might take that to heart.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

RoyalScion posted:

Think I’ve had lovely attitude randoms like twice maybe and I play pretty much only 9s and am lvl 100+

This has also been my experience too. Although it’s random, the chances of people being petty and trying to tank their own run on helldive is sort of low. It’s mostly just poor plays and team kills with eagles / explosive primaries.

7 is the bizzaro difficulty zone so beware, just high enough for super samples

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ime the worst pub experience is at difficulties 6 and 8

6 because it's filled with people who find difficulty 7 too hard or just want to gently caress around so you get lots more people doing stuff like team killing everyone on the pelican just to troll or raging at you for not helping them clear a small outpost.

8 because it's filled with people struggling to unlock helldive so it's lots of level 12-20 divers trying to fight every single patrol, bug breach, and bot drop, so you lose most of your reinforcements just trying to reach the first objective

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I’ve run into plenty of lovely attitudes and racists in pubs.

Dudes executing on extract. Not pub exclusive shockingly

Dudes trying to pod you for getting hit with an aoe.

Dudes that will start shooting you for bringing a barrage to an 8 eradicate.

Some German kids thanked me for bailing them out of their 9 gone awry by asking me if I knew what sig hail meant. Time to disconnect, enjoy your Destroyer exploding.

But the thing I run into the most in pubs?

The loving WHERES MY HUG AT? guys :argh:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I will stand outside of my pod for the full 30 seconds waiting for one of you loving assholes to hug me

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I'm pretty convinced people having bad experiences with other players are having them with console players. I only play on PC and have cross play turned off and I never have these bad experiences with people across 142.8 hours of play.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Janissary Hop posted:

I'm pretty convinced people having bad experiences with other players are having them with console players. I only play on PC and have cross play turned off and I never have these bad experiences with people across 142.8 hours of play.

This may be true but I just got out of a very adorable pub game where it was 2 older guy friends playing and then another random guy joined and all 3 were talking on voice and were very nice and super into it. I helped them clear a 7 operation and then they went up to 8 and they were so hype to finish it since one guy had never gotten beyond 6 and the other guy had never tried 8 either. 2 of them were console players. I would not deny myself hearing the joy of some rando pubbies when they see that "J3" got the super samples and is coming to extract.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
farming TCS 7s solo for the supers is neat

have to do a lot of quitting because 2/3 of them don't have supers but if they do... it's a fast mission requiring no real clearing and instant extraction. and the rock is easy to find in the outer zone with basically no patrols
could probably do this on 8s or 9s too

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That's the thing though, I'm winning each of these and ready to extract with 20+ minutes to spare and majority of the samples, but because I didn't follow the rules that exist only inside their heads they throw a tantrum, day before that was a guy who teamkilled everyone inside the pelican extracting and lost 60 samples, all because he died across the map and we didn't want to bother to close the last bug nest, other random after started complaining that he keeps getting people like that in his own games.

It's probably a fluke but it's partly why I mainly host my own games to at least cut off the kick crazy ones.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Black Noise posted:

The loving WHERES MY HUG AT? guys :argh:

i give these guys the TOO SLOW every time

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Sure, except the defender's "good dps" is 606, and the knight's is 1,150

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
This, is, helldive. Pubbies dropping you into the solid red area of the map which turned out to be a spore spewer, and an alarm instantly spawned in the fog on my gear while I turned to throw the eagle. It was looking sort of okay and then stalkers decloaked by the bile titans :v: SOS lottery so great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Pui5cr8i0

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Janissary Hop posted:

lol, come on.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

The machine gun sentry is worthless

Not the gatling, the machine gun made pointless by the gatling

What if they just reduced the cooldown so you could throw those things like EATS and keep dupes?

Seems fun, maybe game breaking and might need to be tweaked a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Colorspray posted:

The machine gun sentry is worthless

Not the gatling, the machine gun made pointless by the gatling

What if they just reduced the cooldown so you could throw those things like EATS and keep dupes?

Seems fun, maybe game breaking and might need to be tweaked a bit

I feel like an easy fix for the MG sentry would be to give it the same number of bullets as the gattling, it just fires a lot slower. One for sustained damage, the other for burst.