Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

people like destiny because it's halo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

people do not like destiny, especially the people who play it. i wonder what it would take to get me back into payday 3? I don’t hate the game. i think I’d need like 8 new maps and a dozen new weapons. getting in the van was not on my list.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The sad, horrible truth is that the thing PD3 needed most of all was for PD2 to be offline for 2-3 years before it was released.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Payday 3 is honestly not in a worse place than Payday 2 was when it launched but people are tired of games as a service now and it was always going to be an uphill battle trying to sell a fresh start compared to a game that already had a captive fanbase and a decade’s worth of content built in. Even if Payday 3 was a home run on mechanics and maps you can get PD2 and its fifty heists for like $10

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

people do not like destiny, especially the people who play it. i wonder what it would take to get me back into payday 3? I don’t hate the game. i think I’d need like 8 new maps and a dozen new weapons. getting in the van was not on my list.

I've been thinking about this too and I don't have much of an answer that isn't "remake Payday 2 with better graphics, some quality of life changes, and some new maps." There would have to be so many changes I might as well be describing a different game, or just Payday 2. Like, just the gunplay would be an overhaul of the gun xp system if not just outright scraping it for the current Payday 2 system, a bunch more guns, get rid of the armor system they have, have more cops spawn, get the weapons to feel punchier, make the weapon upgrades actually worth it instead of feeling like sidegrades, and make it that the armor you choose has a visual component of it. I know it's stupid but I always liked walking around areas in head to toe body armor and civilians thought that was normal.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Pirate Jet posted:

Payday 3 is honestly not in a worse place than Payday 2 was when it launched but people are tired of games as a service now and it was always going to be an uphill battle trying to sell a fresh start compared to a game that already had a captive fanbase and a decade’s worth of content built in. Even if Payday 3 was a home run on mechanics and maps you can get PD2 and its fifty heists for like $10

Even if Payday 3 is in the same place that Payday 2 was at launch that's not a good thing. Payday 2's launch was pretty dire, and I played the poo poo out of Payday 2 at launch.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

bbcisdabomb posted:

Even if Payday 3 is in the same place that Payday 2 was at launch that's not a good thing. Payday 2's launch was pretty dire, and I played the poo poo out of Payday 2 at launch.

Payday 2's launch was dire? I remember playing the hell out of it during the open beta, I think the biggest issue was that they put too many launch heists into said beta, and it took them awhile until good DLC heists started coming out.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Payday 2's launch was dire? I remember playing the hell out of it during the open beta, I think the biggest issue was that they put too many launch heists into said beta, and it took them awhile until good DLC heists started coming out.

The worst part that I remember was the dreadful treadmill they had set up for leveling and most weapons being level locked. Lots of burnout on Rats.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
When PD2 launched it wasn't perfect but it was like 95% there. PD3 on the other hand got almost nothing right (down for the first couple weeks, worse grind, a useless UI, worse comms, barely functioning matchmaking, dead playerbase in a month)

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Shooting Blanks posted:

I was mostly thinking of the stat bars on guns, paying money to respec, and the endless Rats grind. Don't get me wrong, I played the hell out of it at launch but it got a lot better over the years.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Also PD2 didnt have to compete with Helldivers for attention in the coop space

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

Yes that’s what I said.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ZeusCannon posted:

Not to mention, Payday 2 came out more than a decade ago. People had slightly lower expectations in terms of stability, balance, UI, etc. on launch at that time. Starbreeze had never released a game with anywhere near that popularity in the past, and they received quite a bit of tolerance for any stumbling as a result.

11 years later, ostensibly with plenty of player data and lessons learned and they do worse.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

ZeusCannon posted:

Given what Sony did to make the Helldivers II fanbase lose its collective stuff, this could be Payday 3's chance to win back players! Just don't require a Starbreeze account and they'll be golden!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

padijun posted:

When PD2 launched it wasn't perfect but it was like 95% there. PD3 on the other hand got almost nothing right (down for the first couple weeks, worse grind, a useless UI, worse comms, barely functioning matchmaking, dead playerbase in a month)

By the time I came around to playing Payday 2, which was with the Armored Transport heists, it already felt pretty great and had content for more than just... 2 evenings. Like seriously we knocked out all of what Payday 3 has to offer in 2 sittings, all to a disappointing payoff of a plot coming from and going nowhere without any tension in between. I am still in utter shock that they made so few maps to start with. The game can have all the cool mechanics with movement, buffs, new stealth mechanics and partial success in stealth, but after 6 hours there's nothing new to check out.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 5, 2024

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Recently had this video come up on my feed, talking about how Crime Boss Rockay City has actually been patched up now and could be a decent alternative to Payday 3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXgZtiawCKA

Wondering whether it's true, though, as I'm not familiar with this reviewer: anyone play this game and have an opinion? Might not even be worth it though as, while it has improved, they say it's from a 3/10 to a 6/10, so...

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

lol

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Well with that thumbnail it must be true

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Well, this weekend Crime Boss Rockay City has a free trial so I've been checking it out. For the most part, it feels like a decent Payday clone and quite fun, though of course I'm in the honeymoon period so it might be bad once the freshness wears off.

Some things of note, good or bad:

*As said, feels very similar to Payday: I did the tutorial but really didn't need to as it shares practically all the mechanics and buttons.

*Voice acting is atrociously bad for the most part, though sometimes it's in a amusing way, and Chains (Damion Poitier) being the Bain equivalent that's giving you directions and callouts is nice.

*When it comes to multiplayer, there are regular missions and this coop 'urban legends' story campaign. You've got a customizable 'boss' character you can use in the regular missions where you buy weapons, gear and perks for them and determine what they look/sound like, but when it comes to the special coop stories, you're only able to select from these pre-built characters, which is a bit lame and confusing.

*For some reason, melee weapons take up a primary slot that could be used for a good rifle or shotgun. Can't see why you'd ever make that choice as the game feels very gun-oriented?

*The cops don't come in large quantities like they do in Payday, but they hit really hard: easy to go down if you let one or two sneak up on you, and hiding felt difficult.

*Not sure what the point of taking hostages is, if any? Zip ties are infinite and you can tie up anyone, but once the alarm goes off, I think it's pointless? I don't think they distract cops or can be traded.

*Purchasing weapons seems kinda lame as there is no modding system for them: you just have to buy a higher-tier version of the same weapon that comes built with extended mags or a holo sight if that's what you want.

*The health system is your standard rechargable health: you get beat up, and then get in cover to get it all back. No armor or medic bags or doctor bags. If you get downed, you have a brief bleedout period where you can crawl around and shoot your pistol, and then a dying period where you can do nothing but lie there and wait for help. You have a limited number of revives which can be boosted with perks (max health and recharge speed can also be boosted).

*Drills/saws never break or require restarts if you leave them alone, but they do have a minigame where you can speed it up at the risk of overheating it and needing a restart. So, you can either leave them to do their job slowly, or keep an eye on them and keep playing the minigame every now and then to speed it up.

*In addition to the usual long heists requiring loads of bags or complex stealth, the game has some really short heists on offer. There are these missions where you knock off a security van or a shop or whatever and they can take just about 5 minutes to do so.

*You can carry two bags of loot at once: carrying one bag just slows you down slightly, whereas two bags of loot slows you down considerably and limits you to only being able to use your secondary (pistol). You get bags of loot by picking up small loot like cocaine, gold bars or money until it maxes out a loot bar and generates a bag.

*Stealth mechanics are pretty similar, though still unclear about the strike system: destroying a camera gets you a strike, but you're able to subdue and tie up cops without having to deal with pagers or getting a strike? Brings me back to early Payday 2 where you could just take care of all the cops and have free reign over the map.

*In addition to picking up ammo from cop corpses like in Payday (which seems to be the only way to get ammo), you can also pick up whatever guns the cop was using as well. Makes me question the point of paying to unlock weapons, though perhaps the guns you get from cops are lower quality, or maybe not as unique as the options you can buy? It can be nice in a pinch if you're brought a shotgun and suddenly need something long range instead: just steal an assault rifle from a cop.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 12, 2024

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Yeah it’s better than I was expecting. Also it’s a complete rip off of payday 2 in many ways. Almost offensively.

I liked the short missions. Basically Ukrainian job type missions without waiting on a drill. Lockpick is smartly implemented.

Shooting feels pretty good. Stealth is stupid as usual - just start blasting.

Tried quick join mp and never found a match. I just filled in with bots.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

swims posted:

Yeah it’s better than I was expecting. Also it’s a complete rip off of payday 2 in many ways. Almost offensively.

I wish payday 3 was a ripoff of payday 2

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

I wish payday 3 was a ripoff of payday 2

I mean, Payday 3 was a ripoff.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
They removed all challenges. Every single one of them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Seems like a good start. Can I chat with people on xbox yet?