Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Did you get grilled about eligibility or did they really only care about flushing unused doses down the toilet?

The latter! He was explaining that the vial, once opened, is only good for 24 hours and all the other doses would have a high chance of being wasted if we just did me. He was just fine with three of us getting it in one visit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I got mine some months back. Had a CVS confirm it to me but as they were about to get me needled up, one of the pharmacists said they didn’t know what Novavax was because ‘we had never seen it before’ and tried to offer Pfizer. I just told him it was suggested to me by my doctor and he just gave in. Never seem that kind of hesitation before.

lol and we’ve been criticized for lying to pharmacists

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

DominoKitten posted:

The latter! He was explaining that the vial, once opened, is only good for 24 hours and all the other doses would have a high chance of being wasted if we just did me. He was just fine with three of us getting it in one visit though.

Do you mind saying which Rite Aid? My wife is not good at lying to get boosted but she is happy to get an extra dose. When calling around I had a number of people grill me about it. She doesn't care about Novavax as much so feeling a little more confident about not being hassled will probably make her feel better. Feel free to PM.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Yeah, it's the Rite-Aid in south Seattle at 9000 Rainier S.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

DominoKitten posted:

The pharmacist WOULD have given it to just me if I insisted, to be fair.

Cool! I'll get the whole family vaxxed if that's their issue.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Also the pharmacist was wearing a surgical mask during my visits? He was really nice, I liked him a lot.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sunny Side Up posted:

how are those working out? we hadn't had a reason to consider them (we have a cue) but a friend has said that for her every other one (like 50%) error out.

I've had a couple error, but worked fine after removing and re-inserting.

My anecdotal data is that I know two people who tested positive on a Metrix, one of whom had just previously tested negative on a RAT. And I don't think he was doing the throat swabbing either or changing his swab method between the two, so to me that's confirmation the Metrix really is qualitatively better than RATs.

Given that even the 'official' guidance is to take a second RAT if the first one shows negative, I'm inclined to think Metrix and other NAAT tests are functionally equivalent in cost anyway.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

DominoKitten posted:

Yeah, it's the Rite-Aid in south Seattle at 9000 Rainier S.

Sick. Thats the rite aid I got our pax from. He asked over the phone for me to come through the drive thru which was nice. Thanks for the PM too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
confirmed novavax you say? time for a road trip

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sunny Side Up posted:

how are those working out? we hadn't had a reason to consider them (we have a cue) but a friend has said that for her every other one (like 50%) error out.

This has been happening with the latest batch, super annoying. Any spit in the container seems to error out, nasal swab and letting it sit a minute as mentioned upthread works better (also leaning on it like it owes you money when you snap it into the chip).

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Soap Scum posted:

oh also, a friend of mine who's very involved in some good political causes but like still eats out constantly and is generally very bad about masking/mitigation/testing/etc. posted this on their ig story today:

like .... yes, correct, but also do you not realize that this is a post about yourself and your behavior re: covid???

it's just shocking how a pile of like 20 - 40M dead people, 100M+ disabled, and an entire directly affected planet legitimately does not even register in people's brains when they say poo poo like this

no real point in posting here just felt like i needed to share that with some fellow :theroni: sickos

The COVID pandemic is notable in that it's a significant and new public health issue that was thoroughly normalized within 2 years, to the extent that it's now just another problem in the long list of problems that society can't or won't address. Even people still paying attention to the pandemic that acknowledge it's a large ongoing additional disease burden will often conclude nothing more can be done. A lot of the mainstream public health experts who want to remain relevant appear to have landed on this view. For most people like your friend COVID as an issue is irrelevant or forgotten entirely.

There might be an interesting discussion about why someone can be legitimately and in good faith outraged at indifference to the suffering in Gaza or local social problems while not being aware of COVID's ongoing impact. Maybe it's very obvious as the carnage in Gaza is just so monstrous as to be unignorable, while COVID's impact tends to be more subtle and diffuse. Both issues were the subject of consent manufacturing, often explicitly directed by political leaders. That helped push COVID entirely into the background and frankly was also working well in the west for Palestine until the Oct 7 attacks. However the state never felt it needed to quash COVID-awareness protests with over-the-top police violence.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Strep Vote posted:

Cool! I'll get the whole family vaxxed if that's their issue.

Im not joking that let me know what day so I can get in on it. How many doses are in a vial?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

DominoKitten posted:

On advice from the thread, I was able to find Novavax at Rite-aid. The pharmacist balked at wasting a vial on just me but I was amenable and brought back two people the next day and everyone was happy (my goal was getting it for all of us anyway). I also got a tip about an independent pharmacy up north in the Seattle area carrying it too.

When I got my novavax they fumbled around their stockroom looking for a vial that wasn't expired. Apparently nobody ever asked for it. This was in a CVS inside Target at The Landing in Renton.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

CVS saying that a particular location carries Novavax just means that they periodically get shipments of it, not that it's actually in stock (which is really frustrating and misleading). Reposting my experience:

Phlag posted:

The CVSes in my area would regularly get deliveries for Novavax, but in very small quantities. And because multiple doses are drawn from a single vial, if one person gets a single Novavax, they have to throw away the other doses by the end of the day. The pharmacist who said this also said that they always get their Novavax deliveries on a specific day, and that my best chance of actually getting one is to come in as early as possible on that day. That ended up working for me, after being turned away a few times.
See if you can get an informed pharmacist to tell you the day they get their Novavax deliveries.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

https://x.com/LongBeachPost/status/1786162604953460789

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Bold lines in the tables are new since the previous update.

Olympic Peninsula & Northwest Wash.

pre:
Olympic Peninsula & Northwest Wash.
County		Shed ID(s)	Ref.	Date	Trend	7-Day Change
Jefferson	PT & 1399	(1)&(2)	Apr-22	UP	    +  40%
Mason		Biobot		(4)	Apr-27	DOWN	    -  80%
Skagit		ANA		(1)	Apr-18	n/a	       --
Skagit		MV & 2445	(1)&(2)	Apr-25	UP	    +  60%
Whatcom		LYN & 2124	(1)&(2)	Apr-23	UP	    +  50%
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]

pre:
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]
Island		COUP		(1)	Apr-19	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Island		OH & 2105	(1)&(2)	Apr-26	DOWN	    -  10%
Snohomish	APP & 661	(1)&(2)	Apr-25	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Snohomish	ARL & 2414	(1)&(2)	Apr-24	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Snohomish	EVR & 2444	(1)&(2)	Apr-24	UP	    +  45%
Snohomish	STAN		(1)	Apr-17	n/a	       --
Snohomish	256		(3)	Apr-26	UP	    + 200%
North Puget Sound [2 of 2]

pre:
North Puget Sound [2 of 2]
King		BWT & 676	(1)&(2)	Apr-24	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
King		KCS & 2419	(1)&(2)	Apr-24	DOWN	    -  25%
King		WSPT & 2420	(1)&(2)	Apr-23	UP	    +  15%
South Puget Sound & Southwest

pre:
South Puget Sound & Southwest
Clark		MRPK & 2438	(1)&(2)	Apr-24	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Clark		SNCK & 351	(1)&(2)	Apr-25	UP	    +  35%
Clark		VWS & 2534	(1)&(2)	Apr-24	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Lewis		Biobot		(4)	Apr-27	UP	    + 230%
Pierce		CC & 1397	(1)&(2)	Apr-26	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Pierce		PUY & 1143	(1)&(2)	Apr-25	UP	    +  30%
Thurston	LOTT & 1757	(1)&(2)	Apr-24	DOWN	    -  30%
North & South Central Wash.

pre:
North & South Central Wash.
Benton		WRCH & 755	(1)&(2)	Apr-25	DOWN	    -  10%
Chelan		WEN & 1076	(1)&(2)	Apr-25	DOWN	    -  25%
Grant		EPH		(1)	Apr-17	n/a	       --
Kittitas	ELL		(1)	Apr-18	n/a	       --
Okanogan	BRW		(1)	Apr-18	n/a	       --
Yakima		YAK & 1635	(1)&(2)	Apr-25	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Northeast & Southeast Wash.

pre:
Northeast & Southeast Wash.
Franklin	PAS & 753	(1)&(2)	Apr-26	STEADY	    ± 0-9%
Spokane		RP & 759	(1)&(2)	Apr-26	DOWN	    -  10%
Spokane		SPK & 760	(1)&(2)	Apr-26	UP	    +  15%
Walla Walla	WALLA & 1620	(1)&(2)	Apr-22	UP	    +  20%
Whitman		PLM & 1512	(1)&(2)	Apr-26	UP	    +  30%
Solid lines are generated from normalized and smoothed data provided by the Washington State Department of Health (WADoH Ref. (1) ), Verily/WastewaterSCAN (WWS Ref. (3) ), and Biobot (Ref. (4) ).

White diamond dots are from most recent CDC/NWSS (Ref. (2) ) data scaled to supplement missing or out-dated data when available.

Because each of these four groups use different normalization methods, different smoothing methods, and different averaging/location identifiers, the concentration of virus is not comparable between locations. See reference links at the bottom of this post for more details.

There are 33 sewersheds distributed across 6 charts grouped by region then alphabetized by county and sewershed. The tables below contain WADoH or NWSS/WSS IDs (to match their respective dashboards), Date last sampled, Trend (based on the change between the averages of the two most recent weeks), and 7-Day Change (approx. amount the trend has increased or decreased).

All data presented are smoothed in some degree to even out inconsistent sampling dates and extreme highs and lows. Most sewersheds are sampled 1-3 times a week and are published within a week. Some locations are late reporting by 10 days or more so be sure to note your sewershed's Date in the table or graph. Locations that are more than two weeks old will have n/a listed under Trend to indicate there it is out of date.

References with links to details on y-axis units, normalization protocols, data limitations, and sampling methods:

Zantie has issued a correction as of 05:59 on May 3, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Huh, we sorta have an Australian weekly update??

Hospitalization data in Vic was just missing for 2 weeks but is back now and is zooming up. Wastewater data is getting pretty frisky

https://www.health.vic.gov.au/infectious-diseases/victorian-covid-19-surveillance-report

National aged care breakouts/cases are on the rise again

Twitter link

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Their page says they move to a fortnightly cadence when there's no COVID lol

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

double

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

seeing this tweethttps://twitter.com/1goodtern/status/1786027708184515036then picking up my kid from daycare and nearly every loving kid has a cough
my household still testing negative but i continue to lol, lmao at everything
granted its england but now i'm reading Zantie's post so my lol, lmao still stands

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bald Stalin posted:

Their page says they move to a fortnightly cadence when there's no COVID lol

We're playing peekaboo with an endemic respiratory disease, lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We're playing peekaboo with an endemic respiratory disease, lol

SARS‑CoV‑2 infects more people each day than any other virus.

Probably. It’s been slacking the last few weeks, but even so, the only competition it has is rhinovirus.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 07:57 on May 3, 2024

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tzen posted:

seeing this tweethttps://twitter.com/1goodtern/status/1786027708184515036then picking up my kid from daycare and nearly every loving kid has a cough
granted its england but now i'm reading Zantie's post so my lol, lmao still stands

Summer flu season seems to come sooner every year.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Tzen posted:

Whoops, I missed the 'safe' window to go to to the dentist this year

Edit: yes this is England but the US won't be far behind

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Tzen posted:

there has been a shift in testing in the UK which explains the jump in positivity, they are no longer routinely testing hospital patients who show no sign of illness before they are discharged to care/nursing homes. therefore there is a big jump in test positivity rate for seniors, as they are only testing people in this scenario if they seem ill from covid. a responsible poster might see these statistics, particularly paired with no major increase in total positives, and think ‘oh that’s weird, there must be a reason’ (e: not a dig at you, a dig at tern)

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/routine-covid-tests-axed-hospital-32434554.amp

deadwing has issued a correction as of 12:38 on May 3, 2024

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

deadwing posted:

there has been a shift in testing in the UK which explains the jump in positivity, they are no longer routinely testing hospital patients who show no sign of illness before they are discharged to care/nursing homes. therefore there is a big jump in test positivity rate for seniors, as they are only testing people in this scenario if they seem ill from covid. a responsible poster might see these statistics, particularly paired with no major increase in total positives, and think ‘oh that’s weird, there must be a reason’ (e: not a dig at you, a dig at tern)

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/routine-covid-tests-axed-hospital-32434554.amp

That is true, but on the other hand hospitalizations jumped from 1.97 per 100,000 to 2.56 in the same week, so there is also a substantial underlying increase.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/flu-and-covid-19-surveillance-report-published posted:

(..)
COVID-19 surveillance data for week 17
COVID-19 activity increased across most indicators.

SARS-CoV-2 positivity increased to 7.1% compared with 4.6% in the previous week. This is based on a percentage of people who test positive among those with symptoms tested at sentinel ‘spotter’ laboratories, reported through the Respiratory DataMart surveillance system.

COVID-19 hospitalisations increased slightly to 2.56 per 100,000 compared with 1.97 per 100,000 in the previous week.
(..)

A very slight and mild ~30% increase in a week.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

went to my kids final concert a few days ago, we apparently picked the coughing section, all old grossly overweight white males with beards and the inability to get off their phones or cover their mouths when they coughed. Thankfully we were all masked and they left after their kids performed.
Grade and younger school kids all had a cough too but that’s apparently endemic now so who knows. Just waiting for school to be out already.
Also had no less than two people in two different states tell me about how they were sick with allergies/a cold a few weeks ago but the cough wouldn’t go away so their docs gave them antibiotics and inhalers.
And the hospital where I’m having my procedure had a sign up at the entrance of oncology saying ‘due to an increase in respiratory illness health care providers are encouraged to mask up when performing procedures on patients.’

Not in general, not in the room, just when actually delivering health care.

Nothing is airborne anymore.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Didn't see it posted but Hilda Bastian posted another monthly update on next-generation COVID vaccine development at the end of April. As far as I can tell not much to see, and there appear to be very few vaccines (mucosal or otherwise) in late-phase clinical trials that presumably could eventually become available in western countries anytime soon. Really the main recent development was the self-amplifying mRNA vaccine approved in Japan at the end of 2023, so time to figure out how to import and distribute in the US. Not sure which version of the spike protein it uses though.

In US vaccine news there is a VRBPAC meeting scheduled May 16 where they plan to approve this fall's version of the COVID vaccine. My main interest in the meeting is to see whether they continue to approve an updated version for young children, and given last year's terrible uptake it doesn't seem like this should be a given. I'm not happy at how the pandemic was normalized but do really appreciate that at the very least my kids could get updated shots and hope that continues. I realize this is an extremely lucky position, as the large majority of people in the world never received anything beyond the initial vaccine series if they got anything at all.

edit:
lol nvm just read Zantie's last post

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 15:16 on May 3, 2024

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

My local CVS only had expired Novavax lol

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Looking forward to the updated JN.1 configuration vaccine shot in the fall, a whole 6 month away from now!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

If this is true, that means someone somewhere thinks that bird flu is very likely to start spreading to humans. Last time something like that happened with influenza A they saw it coming from surveillance.

:crnasickos:

Edit: lmao the quote is "hundreds and thousands," so they have....2200 vaccines?

mycomancy has issued a correction as of 18:15 on May 3, 2024

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I haven't kept up with the thread in some time, so sorry if this gets discussed regularly:

Has anyone had experiences with or info on preventative nasal sprays? I've got Betadine "Cold Defence" with iota-Carrageenan. I haven't used it yet but saw indications that it can help prevent transmission temporarily

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

mycomancy posted:

Edit: lmao the quote is "hundreds and thousands," so they have....2200 vaccines?

Yes but don't worry, they already have a plan set up and the manufacturer is prepared to spool up production and within several months, they'll have 15 million vaccines ready.

Probably a bit too much considering that it's just going to end up being mild anyhow

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Thesaurus posted:

I haven't kept up with the thread in some time, so sorry if this gets discussed regularly:

Has anyone had experiences with or info on preventative nasal sprays? I've got Betadine "Cold Defence" with iota-Carrageenan. I haven't used it yet but saw indications that it can help prevent transmission temporarily

this is the stuff I use and haven't gotten got by family since I started :)

just gotta be diligent about it because it's a way more specific application and method of action. Two sprays each nostril before I head to work, two sprays each nostril right before I go home.

to be clear I still mask inside and don't go anywhere other than my shop and various inlaws' places

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2405371

The medical study of that human patient in Texas who got bird flu. It has pictures so fair warning if you can't handle medical photos.

Remember how they said it was just mild conjunctivitis? Lmao that's definitely *not* mild at all!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lol well both conditions have the body part "conjunctiva" in them, just one is loving bleeding into the space underneath it rather than irritation! haha

Mild!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

NeonPunk posted:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2405371

The medical study of that human patient in Texas who got bird flu. It has pictures so fair warning if you can't handle medical photos.

Remember how they said it was just mild conjunctivitis? Lmao that's definitely *not* mild at all!

I've had worse and wasn't even hospitalized.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh yeah, mild and smooth and goes down a treat. Ask for it by name!!

E: it occurred to me after all that talk about black widow bites the other day that black widow envenomation should also be classed as 'mild' since the large majority of cases don't require hospitalization. :v: :v: Now this might sound paranoid and some might call me crazy but I'm going to try and avoid being bitten by widow spiders anyway. Not even a little nibble.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

https://x.com/ctjbgc/status/1786471922785489000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
https://vtdigger.org/2024/05/02/final-reading-amid-avian-flu-outbreak-in-herds-elsewhere-vermont-tries-to-protect-its-dairy-farms/

Is the Vertlarntic just hacking into everything to write headlines and articles bc lmao

quote:

There have been no positive test results for avian flu in Vermont cows, State Veterinarian Kristin Haas assured members of the House Agriculture committee Thursday morning.

The good news seemed slightly tempered by the admission, immediately following, that the state had not actually tested for it in any animals yet.

quote:

That no Vermont cows had been tested for the avian flu really was a good thing, Haas said, because it meant that there had been no reports of sick animals.

I don’t need avian flu, I died from reading this