Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

I remember back in the early days of the internet you could order really powerful green laser pointers online, blue ones too maybe? There were videos of people pointing them at balloons and they would pop. I always thought it would be cool to get one, but I never did, as you can tell by my still functioning vision.

Set phasers to "permanent disability"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lukXJOPk_9A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

"Geordie, observe. I have found a phaser frequency that destroys only the somatic nervous system, leaving the target alive while rendering it harmless."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

And with some fairly basic electrical engineering you can REALLY turn up the heat on those blue diode bad boys, lasgun anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMVWW-bmKwQ

(do not try this at home, even if you know what you're doing you probably don't know what you're doing)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Honestly the sound and pistol grip make it a lot safer than it would be as a pen

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

McSpanky posted:

(do not try this at home, even if you know what you're doing you probably don't know what you're doing)

If you drink a lot beforehand you'll definitely know what you're doing, so yeah if you don't know what you're doing just drink till you do. Easy.

The perfect universal lifehack OSHA workers don't want you to know!!!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Lasers can't even penetrate our navigation shields.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I always thought it was weird that they've never made an official phaser collectable with a laser pointer built in.

Anyway they should just retcon that that TNG episode was featuring the "Tryl", a completely unrelated species that's just coincidentally also symbiotes and pronounced exactly the same as the Trill everyone in the Federation is intimately familiar with.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

That's how we got a three episode arc about Klingon makeup

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Those are northern trill, huge technophobes. And the ~draaaama~! Nobody likes those weirdos, they mostly keep to themselves.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Did anyone ever do anything with the Bluegills? You know, the original Borg.

The ones that took over top people at Star Fleet.

The ones with a total mental phaser head exploding scene never topped since we spoke about on the previous page.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 3, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

In reality the symbiont died almost instantly and Riker just thought it'd be a safe way to get to Beverly and "ghost" her.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dude, no

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Last Call posted:

Did anyone ever do anything with the Bluegills? You know, the original Borg.

The ones that took over top people at Star Fleet.

The ones with a total mental phaser head exploding scene never topped since we spoke about on the previous page.

Star Trek Online did a whole arc with them,

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Star Trek Online did a whole arc with them,

They were a bioengineered weapon race created by the Solanae (the aliens from 'schisms') under orders from the Iconians and used during STO to take control of the Vaadwaur to have them wipe out the Krenim because the Iconians were afraid of their time tech.

STO has fun tangling all the plots into a very silly ball.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

They were a bioengineered weapon race created by the Solanae (the aliens from 'schisms') under orders from the Iconians and used during STO to take control of the Vaadwaur to have them wipe out the Krenim because the Iconians were afraid of their time tech.

STO has fun tangling all the plots into a very silly ball.

And where do the reverse vampires fit into all this?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

And where do the reverse vampires fit into all this?

The reverse salt vampires who drain you of all your water?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In the extended series novels, the Bluegills were related to the Trill symbionts and basically got exiled from Trill a very long time ago

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Picard Season three was a lot of stupid ideas strung together by shallow nostalgia, but I'd have forgiven a lot if it had been about the Bluegills finally making their move rather than the Borg again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think Matalas said they discussed using the Bluegills at one point when coming up with the story for Picard S3

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but it would've been in the same way they used the changelings: as a disappointing red herring before more loving Borg.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

McSpanky posted:

Set phasers to "permanent disability"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lukXJOPk_9A

Holy poo poo, I can't believe this aired.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Matalas said they discussed using the Bluegills at one point when coming up with the story for Picard S3

That was mildly amusing because the reason he gave for not using them was wrong, he just misremembered the TNG episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

"Geordie, observe. I have found a phaser frequency that destroys only the somatic nervous system, leaving the target alive while rendering it harmless."

They already have a "peel off the skin and make the head explode" setting

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seemlar posted:

That was mildly amusing because the reason he gave for not using them was wrong, he just misremembered the TNG episode.

The tragic irony of making a show that was all about bringing back and trying to fix poo poo that has been stuck in angry nerd memories for 35 years, only to not do take the easiest layup ever because you misremembered a key detail.

"We can't use the butt bugs because the butt bugs kill their host so we can't do any fakeouts with them."

"No they don't, Terry. You can still--"

"You're fired."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1786096318106280374

I have no idea if this is good or bad for Star Trek.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Michael: He was on Doctari Alpha with my mom when she was studying stars just before she died.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1786096318106280374

I have no idea if this is good or bad for Star Trek.

I don't even know what an all-cash offer means at that scale.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

McSpanky posted:

Means they aren't offering 'shares valued at X' instead of cash.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

McSpanky posted:

Very approximately, it's a large stadium filled to the brim with pennies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McSpanky posted:

It means Sony is offering Paramount $26 billion in straight fungible, liquid, do whatever you want with it however you want with it the second you get it actual money instead of that bullshit deal Elon Musk made for Twitter where much of that $44 billion was actual levied stock options and the perceived value of his Tesla and Space-X assets.

Basically "we will give you 26 billy in real money as opposed to whatever weird IOU and pixie dust and spooky Chinese wealth fund poo poo Skydance might be cooking up". Because at the very least, I would trust Sony to be good for that kind of cash and literally nothing else.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Example of a non-all-cash offer:

quote:

In February 2006, Disney CEO Bob Iger initiated a trade with NBCUniversal in which a number of minor assets, including the rights to Oswald and the 27 shorts that Walt Disney had worked on, were acquired by The Walt Disney Company in exchange for sending sportscaster Al Michaels from Disney's ABC and ESPN to NBC Sports.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

nine-gear crow posted:

It means Sony is offering Paramount $26 billion in straight fungible, liquid, do whatever you want with it

Ah, biomemetic gel.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

It means Sony is offering Paramount $26 billion in straight fungible, liquid, do whatever you want with it however you want with it the second you get it actual money instead of that bullshit deal Elon Musk made for Twitter where much of that $44 billion was actual levied stock options and the perceived value of his Tesla and Space-X assets.

Basically "we will give you 26 billy in real money as opposed to whatever weird IOU and pixie dust and spooky Chinese wealth fund poo poo Skydance might be cooking up". Because at the very least, I would trust Sony to be good for that kind of cash and literally nothing else.

Aha, exactly what it sounds like! It's just so rare to hear something like that in these business news things, I was like "there's no way it's that simple", it had to be in some amortized repackaged form like mortgage securities or whatever the hell.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

They already have a "peel off the skin and make the head explode" setting

People, this is a dangerous planet. Set phasers to "skeletonize just before skeleton then vaporizes"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

davidspackage posted:

People, this is a dangerous planet. Set phasers to "skeletonize just before skeleton then vaporizes"

Ack ack. ACK ACK ACK!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

davidspackage posted:

As a kid I found that so loving graphic

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

davidspackage posted:

I heard there are skeletons hiding all over.

Some are in people.

In people!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The Last Call posted:

I heard there are skeletons hiding all over.

Some are in people.

In people!

Please don't mock Odo's skeletophobia.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I feel kind of bad for that dude, he was supposed to ratfuck the enterprise but realized it was cool and said he wanted to move there and the next thing you know he's getting his head phasered off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

zoux posted:

I feel kind of bad for that dude, he was supposed to ratfuck the enterprise but realized it was cool and said he wanted to move there and the next thing you know he's getting his head phasered off

Wait, which guy is that?