Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Paying2Lurk posted:

Should be a lot of skellies and doggos in season 4.

Guess I'll try a wolfpack Druid again.

I loved the necro this season but I might just have to go Druid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The addition of Haedrigs Gift style rewards to the season journey should make druid levelling a lot smoother

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tarnop posted:

The addition of Haedrigs Gift style rewards to the season journey should make druid levelling a lot smoother

Ugh you know what, it always felt like the season journey Affixes were meant to be like that, except that you never had enough resources to apply affixes until wt3

I'm glad they're gonna make it cheap as hell to be fully imprinted from a low level

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
new razorplate looks silly, might try on a minion build
minion now get 100% stat inheritance
some serious nerfs to barbs most picked paragon nodes and aspects. ~50% to all of charge stuff, all popular capstone paragon nodes, removing several multiplicative sources entirely, chasing some damage sources to be capped instead of uncapped. i wonder if any of it will make a difference

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
yeah i'm really not sure what i want to play this season

necro has a couple minion builds and what looks like a viable blood build

sorc has the frozen orb build i think looks cool

druid has the big rock build, but still maybe no good rabies build

rogue

barb has the silly dust devils but i've played a barb at least 3 times now. i guess i'll let a wheel of chance tell me

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I was going to do a rogue because I haven't done one yet, but if there's nothing interesting going on there maybe not

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

I was going to do a rogue because I haven't done one yet, but if there's nothing interesting going on there maybe not
I did a flurry/rapid fire build in season 0, which was a lot of fun as a gameplay style.

Apparently the season set amps up barrage. Not sure if that’s actually a fun skill to build around.

I’ll probably go infinimist necro with skellies if that’s actually good this season.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ehud posted:

I was thinking about the "Screw seasonal mechanics, just fix the game." take. And sure, if I have to pick between seasonal mechanics and fixing the game, I'll pick fixing the game. I think my problem is that I don't think they're fixing much with the announced changes.

At its core, the game's itemization still revolves around finding a good base item > slapping on an aspect > upgrading it. The codex of power change where it saves your highest rolled aspect is good, but the rest of it feels so underwhelming to me

The main itemization changes are:

- fewer items drop overall

- removed some useless affixes

- only sacred in WT3 and only ancestral in WT4

- reduced the number of affixes that items drop with

- added greater affixes, which are really just affixes with a 1.5x modifier

- added the tempering system which is just crafting affixes onto your item, which means instead of hoping for an item to drop with all 4 affixes you want, you find one with 2 affixes you want and then craft on the rest

Am I missing anything?

To me, the game is still missing the dopamine rush moments where something really exciting drops. I don't feel like that will change for me with this patch. It's still going to be, "Time to sort through a pile of poo poo and hunt for the base that I can craft into a good item."

Maybe it will be more fun in practice, but that's how I'm feeling about it right now. I'm on the fence about playing season 4.

Maybe you don't like Diablo 4, and should play another game.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Peachfart posted:

I mean, is it too much to ask for a company like blizzard to actually put out a seasonal mechanic each season? Mind you, I’m not criticizing the devs themselves by asking this question. I tend to think the suits could allocate more resources toward that purpose.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

They knocked 5 levels off the requirement for Sacred and Ancestral items, so that's another levelling speed up

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Peachfart posted:

Yeah that’s what I did last season. I was mostly hanging around to keep up with the changes to see if I’d like the game with the season 4 announcements.

I don’t think I will and that’s fine. Lots of video games to play.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Peachfart posted:

As someone who loves D4 and is excited about the changes, this is a really lovely take on criticism and please stop doing it.

quote:

To me, the game is still missing the dopamine rush moments where something really exciting drops. I don't feel like that will change for me with this patch. It's still going to be, "Time to sort through a pile of poo poo and hunt for the base that I can craft into a good item."
That rush is still there, it is just something else you are hoping for (Greater Affixes). The difference now however is that you can immediately tell when a good item dropped, because it has the Greater Affixes icon on the name.

The other big change is the following: "Sigh, Time to sort through a pile of sh- oh wow i'm done. That took not even five seconds."

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 2, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bisse posted:

As someone who loves D4 and is excited about the changes, this is a really lovely take on criticism and please stop doing it.

Nah they are right.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Bisse posted:

it's not, actually

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

John Blizzard is gonna see all the negativity in here and be very disappointed in us

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bisse posted:

"here's a bunch of awesome changes, but I'll frame them as unexciting!"

if those don't interest you, playing something else is correct, because these changes look cool on paper and played cooler in action on the ptr

literally if you don't like them what are you here for? we're a year on from release, the state of the game isn't a mystery

revamping the entire item system is a huge change - "lol bliz is big though, where season content?!" have you played any other live service games?

(plus lol@the idea of feedback here to begin with, bliz ain't making changes based on the SA Diablo thread, they're making them based on influencers and data)

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Bisse posted:

Nah

victrix posted:

literally if you don't like them what are you here for? we're a year on from release, the state of the game isn't a mystery

yeah, exactly. people are allowed to dislike D4 for whatever reasons they have but at this point move on to something else

henkman fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 2, 2024

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

victrix posted:

"here's a bunch of awesome changes, but I'll frame them as unexciting!"

if those don't interest you, playing something else is correct, because these changes look cool on paper and played cooler in action on the ptr

revamping the entire item system is a huge change - "lol bliz is big though, where season content?!" have you played any other live service games?

(plus lol@the idea of feedback here to begin with, bliz ain't making changes based on the SA Diablo thread, they're making them based on influencers and data)

What am I still here for? The dev stream about changes intended to fix a core gameplay element was literally hours ago lol. I’m still processing the announced changes and posting my initial thoughts on them.

some of y’all are a little too loving precious on this video game forum lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hey does anyone want ownership of the D4 discord

it’s not super active, but it’s still the main place goons are getting together and playing D4 AFAIK

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Ehud posted:

I was thinking about this recently and I agree with this 100%.

A dated example, but I remember playing Champions of Norrath with friends way back and misty globes were a perfect example of an item that would immediately provide a tangible upgrade to your weapon, and it was exciting whenever one would drop. Gems in Diablo 4 being split into fragments takes that same aspect of gameplay and stretches it across hours, so rather than getting this exciting moment where something cool drops, I'm finding I'm just rolling up to the jeweler periodically and putting whatever fragments I have together like I'm doing paperwork.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ehud posted:

it’s not super active, but it’s still the main place goons are getting together and playing D4 AFAIK

I’ll just take the kittens

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Ehud posted:

I think it'd be funny if I said yes but I don't want the responsibility, I already have kids

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ehud posted:

I mean I dont want it but I'll take it if you need someone to.

pig labeled 3 posted:

Champions of Norrath
Good lord that takes me back.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just send 'em over to one of the more active goon d4 discords. Or the classic move of making N+1 so as to unify them all!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Haven't kept up with the state of builds season to season. What's likely to be broken and fun? I only really played a storm druid right after launch and everything else was beta stuff so I have no idea what's especially heinous.

What have your fav builds been over the last year irrespective of patches, also? Just for something positive.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Developer’s Note: We've received feedback from players that "Cheat Death" mechanics are not desired. The Flame Shield enchantment has been changed to not react to fatal damage, but instead react to taking 100% of your health within a 30 second window.

what loving clown rear end player doesn't want a cheat death?
(also, lmao that they're STILL trying to make Incinerate desirable)

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Developer’s Note: We've received feedback from players that "Cheat Death" mechanics are not desired. The Flame Shield enchantment has been changed to not react to fatal damage, but instead react to taking 100% of your health within a 30 second window.

Hardcore streamers

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i do not stream and didn't do HC before D4 except once in D2. i didn't die on any of the characters i intended to take to end game except once on S2 reset under dubious circumstances. the layers of cheat death mechanics made HC into SC, it was not good in its previous implementation

given the choice between them redesigning the system or just removing cheats, i'd prefer the removing cheats, as a n=1 non streamer

unattended spaghetti posted:

Haven't kept up with the state of builds season to season. What's likely to be broken and fun? I only really played a storm druid right after launch and everything else was beta stuff so I have no idea what's especially heinous.

What have your fav builds been over the last year irrespective of patches, also? Just for something positive.

tornado barb could still be cool, if not as broken as in PTR. the druid with the big orbiting rock keeps getting buffs so that'll probably be crazy. if not druid has 2-3 other potentially fun builds, maybe even with a small amount of zoo. minionmancer looks chill. necro has had a rough balancing period for minions, tons of broken or useless skills. it seems like they finally did a pass on them so they might be way overtuned or maybe just mindless fun. "shadow surfer" necro, shadow blood wave, looks like it could finally shine. frozen orb and firewall sorc both got tuned back down to reality, ostensibly, but FO still sounds really cool to me. might be what i play for SC for a second character if the new leveling speed is as quick as it sounds. rogue is uh, it doesn't look like they have a firm grasp on what is keeping it from scaling correctly, so the power of any of the builds might not be as high as other classes. with the way they changed stacking some stats, you can no longer do the 100% dodge rogue which would have been a fun strafe (i think it was) call back spec to D3.

i think S1 bone spear barber necro has been the most fun for me so far. CE/CT auto cast was also a blast, charge barb was really cool too but came online super late compared to the necro builds.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I feel like if you select the mode that if you die, your character is deleted, you should consider death being a real possibility instead of getting a divine shield and then teleporting out of every dangerous situation.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

MrMidnight posted:

Hardcore streamers

On the one hand, I hate them because most are arrogant cockmunchers who hate both the community and developers, and think they're are literally divine beings with the knowledge of all the universe, and their voice should dictate all of humanity
On the other hand, there's nothing better than seeing one cry when their character dies

the duality of man

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

if the loot in god dam diablo doesn't give me the brain drip what's the fucken point

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i don't know google butt. i hope the new loot does it for you

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Is there a way to reliably avoid the bug where whisper tasks flicker in an out of existence, thereby resetting your progress? Or is my best bet to stick to the ones that aren’t affected by it like dungeons.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

runchild posted:

Is there a way to reliably avoid the bug where whisper tasks flicker in an out of existence, thereby resetting your progress? Or is my best bet to stick to the ones that aren’t affected by it like dungeons.

Yeah I’m curious about this too. I’m not sure what triggers it either.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've never even heard of that bug.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've never even heard of that bug.

It seems to mostly happen on the collect 100 of whatever. It resets back to 1 :shrug:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Blizzard posted:

Mounts can now be spurred in town.

game of the year

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I still pressed space bar even though it didn’t do anything

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MarcusSA posted:

It seems to mostly happen on the collect 100 of whatever. It resets back to 1 :shrug:
Oh huh, now that you say that, that rings a bell. I think that happened to me any time I was working on collecting 100 of something then got to 10 whispers completed without collecting 100 (as in... if kill x number of y enemy unit type OR light x fires to complete a ritual was the trigger to hit 10 whispers). When I handed in the10 whispers for a cache, I would lose whatever progress I made on collecting the 100 of whatever.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I still pressed space bar even though it didn’t do anything
:same:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think I’m gonna lose my mind here. I’m 74/75 for fractured peaks map completion and I’ve looked at this map 100 times and I can’t find the last bit I’m missing.

Is there a hidden spot or something?