Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't think the 'ra would be so popular in england but there you go.

E:

Angepain posted:

up the RA?

Fairly beaten and will not permit the page to try to interfere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I wouldn't stand for that, I would've probe'd her for beating me to the joke

Even if it were hours after the fact

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Who could have guessed that offering gently caress all except continuity Toryism would mean people voted for other parties instead. Lol Kieth

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jel Shaker posted:

bah it’s lazy analysis where they just spread the vote change across the country and assume every ward is a perfectly spherical cow, its not taking into account the weird peculiarities of uk elections

It's also a media tactic to try and make the election seem closer than it most likely will be. A sure thing sells no papers.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Around here the shitey Green who didn't even bother publishing a manifesto beat the good Labour guy by a significantly increased margin.

Kindof a shame, Labour will still take the council but this was one of the leftier candidates (probably why he stood around here).

e: And the PCC is a Tory too. None of my votes really worked out.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 3, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

smellmycheese posted:

Who could have guessed that offering gently caress all except continuity Toryism would mean people voted for other parties instead. Lol Kieth

I know it feels nice to think that, and absolutely lol that if Labour were just a tiny bit less shite on Gaza, their lead would have been even more pronounced, but at the same time, you can't really downplay the fact that they are up 8 councils so far. Like it or not, Starmer's brand of pragmatic blandness (or bland of pragmatic brandness) has worked on a non-insignificant amount of people. Of course, there's plenty of time to squander whatever goodwill there is before GE, if such a thing still exists.

Private Speech posted:

Around here the shitey Green who didn't even bother publishing a manifesto beat the good Labour guy by a significantly increased margin.

Kindof a shame, Labour will still take the council but this was one of the leftier candidates (probably why he stood around here).

e: And the PCC is a Tory too. None of my votes really worked out.

People are prepared to vote Green just to keep loony lefties out. Yet another sign that Sir Keir's strategy will bear fruit.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 3, 2024

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
Labour don’t really have much of a lead over the Tories. What they are doing is performing relatively better against their real competitors, the Lib Dem’s, than the Tories are doing against reform.

This very likely is because Keith was born able to make a convincing impression of a guy who plans to do or change nothing. Which is exactly what his target audience wants.

Whereas Sunak is obviously not in a great position to be able to present himself as a guy who gets really worked up over woke trans gay immigrants. Any time he tries, he seems as pathetic as Keith when he offers hope.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
RA = Residents' Association. I looked it up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I originally assumed it was Reform Arseholes or something due to the colour, with residents' associations being under Independent due to lack of a formal party.

How many seats did Reform get in the end, one?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1786466897178816630?t=RfWpP1kUNreTI9Ps9LzSww&s=19

Starmer is going to Biden himself without even becoming Prime Minister first.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
can't really go "lol labour are tepid dog piss" because people are very much voting for the tepid dog piss (in the context of other options not being terribly inviting). labour have only lost 2 councils so far to no overall control, and turned 10 others.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Labour won Avon and Somerset PCC only winning by 3000 votes with Greens picking up 65k and Lib Dem 45k. Kier Starmer still doesn’t support voting reform.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I originally assumed it was Reform Arseholes or something due to the colour, with residents' associations being under Independent due to lack of a formal party.

How many seats did Reform get in the end, one?

Two apparently, in Havant. But only stood 316 candidates nationally.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2024/may/02/local-elections-2024-full-council-results-for-england

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1786466897178816630?t=RfWpP1kUNreTI9Ps9LzSww&s=19

SNP are back baybee

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Gonzo McFee posted:

Seeing Joe Biden and the entire US Establishment going: "You must unconditionally support Israel or we will literally KILL you" has been a genuinely unsettling experience.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

SNP are back baybee

Labour/Liberal Coalition incoming!!! :chaostrump:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Kojiro posted:

I'm in Bradford and a lot of pro-Palestine indepedants have won out over Labour here, so not all tories by any means. Labour hold overall though

Yeah the independent in my Bradford ward defeated the Labour incumbent. His leaflet opened with ‘a vote for Labour is a vote for Keir Starmer’, then Starmer’s quote about Israel having the right to cut off water and power to Gaza, then ‘Say no to genocide, say no to war crimes’.

Labour pretty much did all his campaigning for him.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
aware i'm a broken record but "statsforlefties" is not a reliable source of anything

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

SNP are back baybee

The Labour right would rather go into coalition with Adolf Hitler's Corpse filled with the T-Virus than join up with the SNP. They hold the SNP in the same contempt that they do Corbyn and the Left. An entity that turned up and ruined their "Who else you going to vote for?" strategy.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Nuclear Spoon posted:

aware i'm a broken record but "statsforlefties" is not a reliable source of anything

What is in British politics?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Nuclear Spoon posted:

As a matter of interest, why? I'm out of the loop on this one!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They do the usual online content thing of trying to make attention grabbing headlines out of things that have rather dubious backing if you actually look up what they're based on. It's basically daily mail "everything either causes or cures cancer" bollocks except with a left flavour.

In this case, amusingly, the source being some allegedly actual news source making up a dubiously credible poll to get headlines.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
because most of the time i feel like they're repackaging numbers without really understanding them in order to do numbers on left twitter. i don't have receipts though.

however, to be fair, on this occasion they have commented to suggest that they also think this projection is horseshit (extrapolating GE projections from locals isn't really accurate)

https://x.com/LeftieStats/status/1786470532621238621

e: sky news produces a lot of bollocks so i'm not sure what the criteria is for sharing it

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I had always taken statsforleties with a pinch of salt but seen them as reliable as people who are analysing someone elses data can be. They are like a reverse yougov as they have a left bias. They loving hate starma so I am not saying they love labour or think they are leftwing.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Gonzo McFee posted:

Women4Wes

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Gone I'm afraid

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Gonzo McFee posted:

Gone I'm afraid

Then no-one.

Bristol likely going to return a Green MP if GE looks like this.

https://x.com/BristolCouncil/status/1786470001198653531

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
it feels like the big thing that spells Humiliation for Looser Rishi if it holds (unless he can somehow persuade are nige to stop shiving him) is that most of the wards where reform were standing had results like:

Lab: 41% (+7)
Con: 20% (-20)
Ref: 17% (+17)
Green: 12% (+5)
others

if they put up candidates nationwide in the general, starmer's gonna have a whole lot of seats just fall into his lap

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Projecting a general election on results from whatever set of councils are voting this year seems like a terrible idea. In their own article Sky talk about how different patterns for voting in councils has increased the vote for independents. oh they've also just assumed Scotland and NI will be exactly the same as last time. did somebody just want to fill some column inches

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gonzo McFee posted:

Gone I'm afraid

and Men for Wes is not the same poster, its El Borto - with whom I and Fuctifino had a brief connection but who turned out to be a tad unhinged

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

smellmycheese posted:

and Men for Wes is not the same poster, its El Borto - with whom I and Fuctifino had a brief connection but who turned out to be a tad unhinged

This sounds extremely online doesnt it? :(

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Apraxin posted:

it feels like the big thing that spells Humiliation for Looser Rishi if it holds (unless he can somehow persuade are nige to stop shiving him) is that most of the wards where reform were standing had results like:

Lab: 41% (+7)
Con: 20% (-20)
Ref: 17% (+17)
Green: 12% (+5)
others

if they put up candidates nationwide in the general, starmer's gonna have a whole lot of seats just fall into his lap

It's basically a reverse 2019 - Boris has a bunch of Labour seats in the North fall into his lap due to the Brexit Party taking labour voters, and then the media breathlessly asked "how did Boris convince Labour voters to vote Tory???" ignoring all the evidence they didn't switch to Tory (pretty similar total vote to 2017), they just didn't vote labour. Now Starmer is getting the same boost. Sadly doubt it'll end with him getting booted out of being PM in disgrace.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's basically a reverse 2019 - Boris has a bunch of Labour seats in the North fall into his lap due to the Brexit Party taking labour voters, and then the media breathlessly asked "how did Boris convince Labour voters to vote Tory???" ignoring all the evidence they didn't switch to Tory (pretty similar total vote to 2017), they just didn't vote labour. Now Starmer is getting the same boost. Sadly doubt it'll end with him getting booted out of being PM in disgrace.

at least we can finally stop hearing about the stupid americanisms red / blue wall

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Starbucks posted:

Then no-one.

Bristol likely going to return a Green MP if GE looks like this.

https://x.com/BristolCouncil/status/1786470001198653531

Don't they have one already?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

notaspy posted:

Don't they have one already?

No, all Labour for the city.

Then there’s me just a few miles outside the city proper with just a regular terrible Tory dickhead because of all the old and racist suburbanites.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

Gone I'm afraid

I don't know what W4W did wrong as I don't follow it that closely.

Tony Collins
@tontytrains
·
May 1
Gentle nudge for some friends: men4wes is not the new account of women4wes; it's a troll and it would be good if you can unfollow it.

On a completely unrelated note, I'd like to introduce my friend
@eyuplovely
who has just joined, and has never been on twitter before

https://twitter.com/eyuplovely

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Let a thousand accounts 4Wes bloom.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Spicy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

lol