Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Get that VTEC while it’s still here, Pilots don’t have it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The Sienna is in fact pretty mediocre with the single exception being its mileage which is so good that it's very much worth taking the trade offs depending on your values.

Frankly though, some of it is just embarrassing. Like.. if you put the rear seats down they (violently) bounce up and down while you drive. You can't even get a model in Canada that comes with acoustic glass when everyone else has it stock, and they cheaped out so much on all sound deadening in general it's miserable to drive on the highway which is where a van is supposed to be king. Oh, and the stock speakers? Wowza

Again not that it's in any way a BAD vehicle but it absolutely has not kept pace when it comes to refinement and comfort.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I have no idea if my Volt has an AM radio. Probably does I guess.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

moxieman posted:

New cars all suck rant:

We have a 2011 Toyota Sienna and have been talking about getting a newer one for a couple years now. Local dealer happened to have one in the showroom so we went to just check it out and sit in it, see if there were any immediate red flags that might steer us towards another vehicle.

It’s basically the same interior as our 2011 except…
-Cupholders are all smaller across the board
-There used to be two gloveboxes, an upper and lower, and now there is just a lower one with some kind of useless shelf above it. Love to put things on a shelf in my car so they can slide off when I accelerate
-The space between the driver and passenger has been consumed by a behemoth console that offers very little utility and also necessitates fixed arm rests
-Third row used to have two cup holders and a storage bin on either side, both bins are gone with the cupholders just being spaced further apart to consume the space
-Plastic surfaces all felt cheaper but that’s every new car

Was it a terrible van? No, but spending $50k or whatever to get essentially the same vehicle just newer and with a bunch of dumb changes doesn’t feel remotely worth it.

Thread title remains true.

Now we’re leaning towards an Odyssey.

My parent's 22 Odyssey drives great. But if it were me, I'd still be looking at a Sienna for the mileage - their Odyssey is doing cylinder deactivation on the freeway to get 27 mpg, Sienna is going to do better than that in-town and highway. They have the leather captain's chairs and removing them to clear the second row is a serious job, they're like 60-70 lbs each and bulky as hell.. compared to a friend's Pacifica which is doing similar mileage/features and has stow-and-go the seating design is archaic.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Pacifica is such a nice van, it's too bad it's made by Chrysler.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The Pacifica is such a nice van, it's too bad it's made by Chrysler.

Famously the PHEV has THE MOST complaints on consumer reports

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

rifles posted:

My parent's 22 Odyssey drives great. But if it were me, I'd still be looking at a Sienna for the mileage - their Odyssey is doing cylinder deactivation on the freeway to get 27 mpg, Sienna is going to do better than that in-town and highway. They have the leather captain's chairs and removing them to clear the second row is a serious job, they're like 60-70 lbs each and bulky as hell.. compared to a friend's Pacifica which is doing similar mileage/features and has stow-and-go the seating design is archaic.

27mpg is a lot better than our current Sienna and I’m buying a van primarily to haul kids around so taking the middle seats out will rarely or never happen. The Honda also has the captains chairs that can slide side to side in the middle row which is more useful than stow and go for our use cases.

While the Pacifica seems to have a nice feature set it also has a dial gear selector. And is made by Chrysler as previously mentioned.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I've read on Pacifica owners forums that the PHEV model will basically never use the battery when it gets below 50.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've read on Pacifica owners forums that the PHEV model will basically never use the battery when it gets below 50.
lmao

:thumbsup:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is this because there's no heat pump or resistive heat so it has to run the engine in order to generate cabin heat, or something else to do with charging?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Ok I'm going to out myself here... I'm a Pacifica PHEV owner

That's not remotely true unless it's with the pre-2020 refresh models. I live in a very cold city and it does have to tend the battery with the motor a bit in temps significantly below freezing. For a very short commute that could make it "hybrid like" but I did the majority of my KMs in the winter EV only. I've never seen the motor kick on to help out above freezing temps.

I bought the thing while waiting for a Sienna because the resale of everything has been so high and figured I'd just sell it. Then realized I wasn't willing to let it go for a Sienna, at least not while it's under warranty. It's way nicer than the Sienna in every measurable way except for possible massive failure but that poo poo only happens to other people who probably had it coming.

No joke though I keep Sienna orders in place in case it wrongs me at some point.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Subaru is finally bringing the manual WRX wagon to North America! *

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

t:mad:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Other folks are reading this as “below fifty degrees F,” but I’m reading it as “below 50% battery charge.

Either way, the Pacifica/Caravan is one of the few things Chrysler has done well that basically everyone agrees on. It’s the go-to recommendation for vans for a large swath of van buyers.

My buddy had to replace his caravan when his wife hit a deer and went with a Pacifica. The old one was a mobile palace, and the new one is too. Chrysler seems to know that this is where their bread is buttered, so they actually manufacture it well. His 9 year old Carvan didn’t have squeaks or rattles, didn’t have random failures of common items, didn’t have *insert Stellantis problem*. It was luxe as hell with the seats up and had a ton of space with the seats down.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I was thinking 50mph.. like only highway speeds.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

moxieman posted:

27mpg is a lot better than our current Sienna and I’m buying a van primarily to haul kids around so taking the middle seats out will rarely or never happen. The Honda also has the captains chairs that can slide side to side in the middle row which is more useful than stow and go for our use cases.

While the Pacifica seems to have a nice feature set it also has a dial gear selector. And is made by Chrysler as previously mentioned.

Seems a great choice for you! It drives great and I absolutely love the 3.5 and 10 speed combo whenever I get to drive it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

moxieman posted:

New cars all suck rant:

Was it a terrible van? No, but spending $50k or whatever to get essentially the same vehicle just newer and with a bunch of dumb changes doesn’t feel remotely worth it.

Same here, I drove a new Civic not long ago and my first though was it's not all that much better than my Scion and my Scion is paid for so why even bother.

I'd like to get a base model Maverick, that would be worth it to me, but the Ford dealers won't stock them because they aren't profitable enough so all they stock is the higher trim levels at over $30k. If i want a base model I'll probably have to order one.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Counterpoint: sold my 2001 Miata, bought a 2024 Miata, and it's better in every way.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 4, 2024

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Counterpoint: sold my 2001 Miata, bought a 2024 a Miata, and it's better in every way.

I often think about how my RF is lighter than the Mazdaspeed NB I had almost 20 years ago

God bless Mazda

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Eyud posted:

God bless Mazda

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Eyud posted:

God bless Mazda

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Im trying my best to not go drive or rent a 2024 Miata.
I love all the changes they made this go year and I dont need thoughts of that being in my garage tempting me for a 45th time.
I just wish they made some interesting loving new colors. Or that anniversary Orange would come back.

Ive had too many god drat black Mazdas. Too many Soul reds. Too many silvers.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Same here, I drove a new Civic not long ago and my first though was it's not all that much better than my Scion and my Scion is paid for so why even bother.

I'd like to get a base model Maverick, that would be worth it to me, but the Ford dealers won't stock them because they aren't profitable enough so all they stock is the higher trim levels at over $30k. If i want a base model I'll probably have to order one.

Sounds like you just need to import a Toyota bB Open Deck

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/02/rare-rides-the-ridiculous-toyota-bb-open-deck-from-2002/

Franco Caution posted:

I love all the changes they made this go year and I dont need thoughts of that being in my garage tempting me for a 45th time.
I just wish they made some interesting loving new colors. Or that anniversary Orange would come back.

The next gen Miata is rumoured to be coming out in a couple of years, it's guaranteed they'll send off the ND with some fun coloured special editions.

Eyud posted:

God bless Mazda

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 4, 2024

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Franco Caution posted:

There cannot be too many soul reds.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

There cannot be too many soul reds.

Truth, this is the best car color.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Franco Caution posted:

The solution: buy a white Miata and wrap it

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Franco Caution posted:

Too many Soul reds.

MODS???

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

Black is a better base color, IMO. It's not as jarring on the door sills and wherever else

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

I know somebody who did this, was going fine until they got hit by somebody in a parking lot.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

harperdc posted:

I know somebody who did this, was going fine until they got hit by somebody in a parking lot.

Probably shouldn't have gone for dazzle camo.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Powershift posted:

Probably shouldn't have gone for dazzle camo.

Consequences be damned, dazzle camo is always the right choice.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Eyud posted:

God bless Mazda

I'm trying to psych myself up to replace my 2005 Kia Spectra with either a new or slightly used (2019 or newer to stay in the fourth-gen) Mazda3, but it's all such a headache that I keep putting it off.

Then I read the Mazda subreddit and everyone was talking about how Mazda's paintjobs suck and get chipped super easily :ohdear:

edit: also how the sound sucks unless you get one of the higher trim levels with Bose speakers

surf rock fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 5, 2024

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
What's the big change for '24 Miatas?

I would have loved to get a Fiat 124 but once the Miata got the power bump I just got paralyzed by indecision.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

GD_American posted:

What's the big change for '24 Miatas?

I would have loved to get a Fiat 124 but once the Miata got the power bump I just got paralyzed by indecision.

The physical steering rack and the rear diff tuning. Different lockup on accel vs decel.

Continuous fine tuning by Mazda chasing driving perfection.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
will the NE miata be even lighter?

Or are the rumored hybrid/electric miata a real thing?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Rotary Miatas were the perpetual around-the-corner rumor for 2 decades, and EVs are in full retreat right now. I'll believe it when I see it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MeruFM posted:

will the NE miata be even lighter?

Or are the rumored hybrid/electric miata a real thing?

Mazda’s been late to the hybrid party, and then the EV party. I think they’d maybe get one more generation of Miata without any hybrid drive before having to add it. An all-EV platform Miata is likely much longer out.

Japanese brands have been real slow to EVs, if you haven’t noticed.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

harperdc posted:

Mazda’s been late to the hybrid party, and then the EV party. I think they’d maybe get one more generation of Miata without any hybrid drive before having to add it. An all-EV platform Miata is likely much longer out.

Japanese brands have been real slow to EVs, if you haven’t noticed.

There's some patents that may or may not ever turn into cars, but they look like they're for a sports car: https://www.thedrive.com/news/44267/mazda-patents-lightweight-hybrid-drivetrain-that-could-be-for-the-ne-miata

quote:

a relatively small battery pack, a capacitor bank, three electric motors—two of them in-wheel and one mounted to the transmission—a transaxle with a torque tube like an older Corvette, and a regular internal combustion engine.

A small battery with capacitor banks to allow a single acceleration shot out of a corner sounds great.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

GD_American posted:

Rotary Miatas were the perpetual around-the-corner rumor for 2 decades

As if this was ever anything more than pure hopium on the part of rotary true believers.

That said I'd be shocked if the NE was EV only, or even if a hybrid of some sort arrived at launch, rather than further into the lifespan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BuckyDoneGun posted:

As if this was ever anything more than pure hopium on the part of rotary true believers.

That said I'd be shocked if the NE was EV only, or even if a hybrid of some sort arrived at launch, rather than further into the lifespan.

I dont think a hypothetical NE MX-5 will be anything other than ICE, present tech will just not allow for it to remain light weight or uncomplicated. And I think it will be one of the last ICE cars.

As for a rotary MX-5 - I got to drive one a while ago, has a very healthy 13B NA with about 200KwATW and a six speed. Sure it's a combination that goes together incredibly well but it's also so goddamn fast that I get why they also wont do it. Instead of Slow is Fast throw it around that has been MX-5 mainstay for it's life and generations, you got a very different beast that it's really not in the spirit of a small roadster. Dont get me wrong, it was one of the most thrilling and scary cars you could want to drive hard but it's not really an MX-5 if you have to slow down a lot for corners, is it? Restyle the body to look more like a certain late 70s/early 80's Mazda that was about the same size and you DO have the idea for a FE RX7 that Mazda were loving dumb for not doing.