Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sounds normal since I dislike or am neutral at best about the combat in most RPGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Have no idea why they give the MC a taunt in Okage when MC death is game over.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
okage's cute and the combat is barebones, but it's not a bother at least

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFuQ2AxQ5mQ

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Barudak posted:

Wow thats, uh, dogshit. Extremely thankful I did not have that bug

The bug seems to keep happening, Garr's scene just won't trigger for me. I had to go back and redo stuff, and now have a save before the sequence, but each time I try it, it keeps being broken.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
okage's writing is good but the english release is very, very bad. it clearly didn't get any kind of editing pass so after a point the dialog devolves into nigh unreadable nonsense. i'm talking all character voice getting flung out the window and the text not even being able to keep who the active speaker in a line of dialog is straight. also for some reason the english release edited the main character's face to make him look more "normal" but they didn't edit anyone else's faces at all so they just look drawn in a different style from everyone else now.

Sakurazuka posted:

Sounds normal since I dislike or am neutral at best about the combat in most RPGs

okage's combat is a step below. its problem is a combination of too slow and too weirdly balanced so it often has ridiculous difficulty spikes you have no good option for dealing with. if okage was just balanced like a basic but functional rpg maker game it'd be fine but its xp distribution is so loving weird and it feels like it always wants you to be four levels higher than you reasonably could be

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'd love for a remake but I know that'll never happen. RIP.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFjnUGNHeJU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

relayer is not like, particularly good but i kind of appreciate its roughness and the attack animations are actually pretty good

https://files.catbox.moe/f4go7s.mp4

I enjoyed Relayer quite a bit. It's not great, by any stretch. But the robot designs are cool and combat is simple and punchy. I bought it on sale and it was well worth the price of admission for me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have written this post multiple times and then rewritten it as a fresh cutscene plays but its really really hard for me to fairly judge Forspoken when its dialog writing conflicts with me this sharply. I would genuinely score this game higher if everything were in pantomime.

Im watching cutscenes because my brain refuses to believe you can maintain this level of bad this long and this consistently.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

relayer is not like, particularly good but i kind of appreciate its roughness and the attack animations are actually pretty good

https://files.catbox.moe/f4go7s.mp4

Ooh hey an appreciator of Relayer! I liked this game, but yeah its really rough, and has like 1000 hours of cutscenes. The pacing is absolute rear end unless you're willing to skip cutscenes.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

I said come in! posted:

Ooh hey an appreciator of Relayer! I liked this game, but yeah its really rough, and has like 1000 hours of cutscenes. The pacing is absolute rear end unless you're willing to skip cutscenes.

Thankfully the game seems to know this and gives you a lot of options for speeding up battle animations and skipping cutscenes. The story stuff definitely thins out a bit as the game progresses too, so I didn't feel the need to skip as much later on.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

probably just watch the Okage LP tbh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Never

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd rather suffer through a bad game I'm interested in than watch someone else play it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
About to head into the titular Unicorn Overlord mission, I'm guessing it's the final one, or at least close to it. Do I need to have Alain and the Ring of the Maiden carrier in the same party? Right now I have them separated. Obviously the rings' special abilities will come into play, but idk if they need to be together or not.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd rather suffer through a bad game I'm interested in than watch someone else play it

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, just to confirm, the Switch version of Eiyuden appears to just be completely bricked. A patch to fix a different bug seems to have deleted one of the scene triggers for an endgame sequence where you walk around the castle at night, rendering the sequence, and game, unable to be completed.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
normally i like suffering a game's rough points to see what's cool about it but okage's poor english release makes it hard for me to say it's worth it. that translation really is just unforgivably bad and means you only get a rough idea of what's going on plotwise by the end

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

feeling better about my wait and see approach with this one

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

normally i like suffering a game's rough points to see what's cool about it but okage's poor english release makes it hard for me to say it's worth it. that translation really is just unforgivably bad and means you only get a rough idea of what's going on plotwise by the end
it's also a shame for a comedic rpg to get a poor translation because it fucks with all the punchlines. there were a lot of jokes in okage that were absolutely mangled by not thinking about the flow of the sentences, on top of either being too literal or just flat out being inaccurate

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

CodfishCartographer posted:

About to head into the titular Unicorn Overlord mission, I'm guessing it's the final one, or at least close to it. Do I need to have Alain and the Ring of the Maiden carrier in the same party? Right now I have them separated. Obviously the rings' special abilities will come into play, but idk if they need to be together or not.

Having them together is highly recommended, yes. Though you can go most of the map with them in separate squads and then put them together for the boss, if you'd like; there's an opportunity to do that, because the map is long.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, just to confirm, the Switch version of Eiyuden appears to just be completely bricked. A patch to fix a different bug seems to have deleted one of the scene triggers for an endgame sequence where you walk around the castle at night, rendering the sequence, and game, unable to be completed.

Just to update you guys, I found the issue. Turns out Seign has two scenes during this sequence, but you have to go up next to him to trigger the second one, and he's loving invisible. It seems to be an issue with the latest patch on Switch. Who playtested the drat patch, Kreskin?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

EclecticTastes posted:

Just to update you guys, I found the issue. Turns out Seign has two scenes during this sequence, but you have to go up next to him to trigger the second one, and he's loving invisible. It seems to be an issue with the latest patch on Switch. Who playtested the drat patch, Kreskin?

This is actually a clever reference to invisible character bugs in the first Suikoden.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

in the interest of trying out a saga game im playing the last remnant (pc). i stopped 6 hours in in 2013 and im starting to realize why. im 6 hours in and at the catacombs and am just really bored, the systems are still locked down to the point where combat is really brainless and it doesnt feel like any real strategizing is possible or asked of me. anyone have opinions on when this game starts getting interesting?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if there's a completionist in you then the yakuza series is probably not for you. there's usually absolutely no point to finishing the completion list in yakuza games, but it is there and trying to finish it will kill your soul.

I-I just wanna beat all the sub missions :'(

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I've 100% completed all yakuzas+judgments and am on the verge of doing so with 8. absolute grindset

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Barudak posted:

Started Forspoken. At first I was like, please, get to the Fireworks factory I just want to be Isekaid I don't care and then the Cuff started talking and I regret my words and deeds.

Lmao we found the game that's too bad for Barudak

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Buck Wildman posted:

I've 100% completed all yakuzas+judgments and am on the verge of doing so with 8. absolute grindset

I haven't played quite that many yet, but it is the only series I've consistently 100% cleared each game I've played as well, there is something strangely compelling about it.

In what is an absolutely unrelated note, my mahjong skills went from "whats a mahjong" to "I'm playing mahjong online and winning a slightly concerning amount of my games" somewhere along the line.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Buck Wildman posted:

how long did it take you to master mahjong

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

how long did it take you to master mahjong

not long, I'm good at it and enjoy playing it irl

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the worst minigame has always been pool. this isn't up for debate

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Buck Wildman posted:

the worst minigame has always been pool. this isn't up for debate

I have to agree with you after experiencing the one in Yakuza 5.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
It's telephone club by a mile.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

One huge problem with Eiyuden is the pacing of the war. In Suikoden II, you get handed Ls left and right for quite a while, sure, but about halfway through, you turn it around, and suddenly you're the ones going on the offensive. Eiyuden basically feels like that first half of Suikoden II right up until the end of the game. The turnaround point should come much earlier, because as it is, it ends up feeling kind of rushed and unsatisfying, like they had an entire second half planned for the game that they had to scrap.

It really feels to me that they cut out/didn't have time for a bunch of stuff at the end. I am not quite at all of it (just got all the non-stars), and the game just told me about the cool mission Seign did. Which has real Xenogears disk II vibes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mahjong isnt even that hard people just refuse to learn

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

discard all 1s and 9s. discard all dragons and winds unless your initial hand has a pair of them. call on literally everything. gg no re.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

OddObserver posted:

It really feels to me that they cut out/didn't have time for a bunch of stuff at the end. I am not quite at all of it (just got all the non-stars), and the game just told me about the cool mission Seign did. Which has real Xenogears disk II vibes.

That explains that one scene near the end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

EclecticTastes posted:

That explains that one scene near the end of the game.

lmao