Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, I bought Unreal Tournament 2004 on Steam years ago.

It installs flawlessly and runs very well. The controls are very responsive. The trackpad works perfectly when selecting maps in the UI.

So apparently the CD version of UT2k4 came with Linux binaries on it. If I were able to track those down, whats the likelihood of me getting it running on the Steam Deck? Is it gonna be as simple as going into desktop mode and running the right files?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

frogbs posted:

So apparently the CD version of UT2k4 came with Linux binaries on it. If I were able to track those down, what’s the likelihood of me getting it running on the Steam Deck? Is it gonna be as simple as going into desktop mode and running the right files?

Archive.org has it, that's probably :filez:? But this isn't I don't think, someone found the necessary dependencies to get it to work:
https://archive.org/details/ut-2004-linux-deps-i-386

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Why do all of the mass effect legendary voice actors sound familiar. 99% sure the one guy is Keith David, but I can't place anyone else. No i will not check Wikipedia :)

My notes after doing ME1's first mission:

• works fine on the deck
  • every gun's accuracy sucks rear end but i expect that to improve over time
  • all the enemies feel spongey
  • the bullets dont go where the crosshair is, which is fine but it'd be nice if the bullets were bigger so i could compensate based on where they're going :(
  • lol at the dialogue option which i thought was "is your friend ok" became "wallop random guy on the head"
  • so many boobs. boobs galore. i see why gamers made this a favourite lmaoo
  • holy poo poo the fov is nauseatingly tiny and the over the shoulder aiming was cute at first but aaaaa

I'll power through though

So is the plot literally just the first season of Star Trek Picard lmao, orr

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

frogbs posted:

So apparently the CD version of UT2k4 came with Linux binaries on it. If I were able to track those down, what’s the likelihood of me getting it running on the Steam Deck? Is it gonna be as simple as going into desktop mode and running the right files?

The GOG windows release ran perfectly for me

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

alexandriao posted:

Why do all of the mass effect legendary voice actors sound familiar. 99% sure the one guy is Keith David, but I can't place anyone else. No i will not check Wikipedia :)

• works fine on the deck
  • the bullets dont go where the crosshair is, which is fine but it'd be nice if the bullets were bigger so i could compensate based on where they're going :(
  • lol at the dialogue option which i thought was "is your friend ok" became "wallop random guy on the head"
  • holy poo poo the fov is nauseatingly tiny and the over the shoulder aiming was cute at first but aaaaa

I haven't seen Picard but that's relatively new isn't it? ME is old as hell by comparison but why not rip off plots from video games tbh

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Tenkaris posted:

I haven't seen Picard but that's relatively new isn't it? ME is old as hell by comparison but why not rip off plots from video games tbh

it would be disrespectful to Dan Simmons, that's why

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

alexandriao posted:

The GOG windows release ran perfectly for me

Im brand new to the Steam Deck, would I need to install windows on it, or is there some compatability layer thatll make windows games work on the deck?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Almost all games run on the deck as Windows binaries with a comparability layer.

It's righteous.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Hammer Bro. posted:

Almost all games run on the deck as Windows binaries with a comparability layer.

It's righteous.

Whaaaaat!? Thats awesome!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I loaded up my own dumped rom of the Switch version of Unicorn Overlord onto my Steam Deck. I can run it on Ryujinx on Desktop mode. But when I use Steam ROM Manager to play it in game mode, it tries to run the game through Yuzu. Is there a way to tell Steam ROM Manager/Emudeck to run Switch games to Ryujinx by default? I cant seem to get rid of every trace of Yuzu on this, Im thinking of next trying to uninstall and reinstall Emudeck.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

alexandriao posted:

• works fine on the deck

The whole Mass Effect series got a ton of sci fi actors. Off the top of my head ME1 has Keith David, Seth Green, Lance Henrikson, Marina Sirtis, Dwight Schultz and Armin Shimerman, as well as just about every name in mid 00s video game voice acting. There's even more in the sequels as well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ME1 is so boring that I'd just skip it and go straight to the infinitely superior ME2. Literally everything is improved.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Quantum of Phallus posted:

ME1 is so boring that I'd just skip it and go straight to the infinitely superior ME2. Literally everything is improved.

This isn't the unpopular opinions thread

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It would be deranged to skip ME1. Just play them all, like we did. It'll be fiiiiine! The story and characters are why you're playing it in the first place, plus I preferred the more rpg stuff to the dumbed down sequels

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

I loaded up my own dumped rom of the Switch version of Unicorn Overlord onto my Steam Deck. I can run it on Ryujinx on Desktop mode. But when I use Steam ROM Manager to play it in game mode, it tries to run the game through Yuzu. Is there a way to tell Steam ROM Manager/Emudeck to run Switch games to Ryujinx by default? I can’t seem to get rid of every trace of Yuzu on this, I’m thinking of next trying to uninstall and reinstall Emudeck.
Try opening EmulationStation, there's a sub-menu in the start button menu that lets you set which are the default emulators for each console and iirc that choice applies to ROMs added to Steam via Steam ROM Manager as well. I didn't see Switch in my list when I looked but I also don't have any Switch games on my Deck.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

frogbs posted:

Whaaaaat!? Thats awesome!

Switch into desktop mode and install heroic games launcher, it lets you sign into your accounts for other storefronts and manage installing your games from them.

As far as games that dont work its pretty much limited to online multiplayer titles with extensive anticheat poo poo, the big ones being Fortnite and CoD.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I loaded up my own dumped rom of the Switch version of Unicorn Overlord onto my Steam Deck. I can run it on Ryujinx on Desktop mode. But when I use Steam ROM Manager to play it in game mode, it tries to run the game through Yuzu. Is there a way to tell Steam ROM Manager/Emudeck to run Switch games to Ryujinx by default? I cant seem to get rid of every trace of Yuzu on this, Im thinking of next trying to uninstall and reinstall Emudeck.

Steam Rom Manager has different parsers for every emulator, so when you're running it you'll need to disable the Yuzu parser and enable the Ryujinx one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

njsykora posted:

Steam Rom Manager has different parsers for every emulator, so when you're running it you'll need to disable the Yuzu parser and enable the Ryujinx one.

I really wish they'd simplify this , it always bugs out on me

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Party Boat posted:

The whole Mass Effect series got a ton of sci fi actors. Off the top of my head ME1 has Keith David, Seth Green, Lance Henrikson, Marina Sirtis, Dwight Schultz and Armin Shimerman, as well as just about every name in mid 00s video game voice acting. There's even more in the sequels as well.

gently caress, Deanna Troi, thats who it fuckin was goddamnnnnnn

frogbs posted:

I’m brand new to the Steam Deck, would I need to install windows on it, or is there some compatability layer that’ll make windows games work on the deck?

I can't tell if you're kidding but literally the main advertising copy and the sole pitch of the steam deck is "All your windows games on the go" lol. Valve poured like billions of dollars over the past 5 years into it :goonsay:

Add the GOG installer as a non-steam game. Settings > compatibility > select Proton 9.0 or Proton Experimental. Run the installer and install it. Settings > Target > point it at the new .exe and rename. Should JustWork

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I really wish they'd simplify this , it always bugs out on me

EmuDeck has made their UI, especially Steam Rom Manager, worse with basically every major update.

They changed the Steam Rom Manager parser-selection screen from a tidy list to big tiles with "artwork" for each emulator, except some of them (ie all the arcade emulators) share the same artwork, and the change to tiles makes some of the file names get cut off, since the tiles are not as wide as the lines the old UI had.

Also, if you want to add some, but not all, games to Steam with Steam Rom Manager, you used to be able to tell it to unselect all games, then re-select the ones you wanted to add manually. You can still do that, but once you've selected the games you want, you can no longer add them without also "saving" the selection. Saving the selection hides all the games you didn't select, and I haven't figured out how to make them reappear. The old version let you select the games you want, add them, then back out of the screen without saving the filters.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Annath posted:

EmuDeck has made their UI, especially Steam Rom Manager, worse with basically every major update.

That's basically emulators.txt at this point.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my hot take on mass effect is that ME1 is the better rpg with some interesting gear choices (love my rifle that generates 5000% heat per shot), but ME2 is a better game despite being toned down into a first person shooter with an extra ability button, because the combat is far less rear end despite the objectively worse ammo situation :v:

ME3 has an amazing multiplayer mode that apparently people still play. it felt similar to very early versions of warframe, but very good instead of bad. it's not available in the new edition, lol. for single player, i stopped after finishing the intro, lmao

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Am I the only one who preferred ME1's gameplay? Also I feel like it's story was far better, ME2 and beyond turned into a convoluted mess that got half-rewritten by the next game/DLC release. I also vastly preferred the (admittedly still somewhat half-baked) planet exploration system of ME1 to the compulsive, app game loop of stripping the entire Milky Way of its resources. Still, both games are very enjoyable, and ME1 is still worth playing through for a full trilogy just to have the decision continuity.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Legendary Edition version of ME1 makes some good changes that make it a much better game, IMO. Mainly things like making weapons actually usable if you haven't put any points into them (or are playing a class where you can't put points into them). They're reasonably accurate with no points and you can actually aim down the sights of guns that you aren't trained in (in the original you were forced to carry a sniper rifle at all times, but if you weren't playing a class that was trained in snipers you couldn't even look down the scope).
Having a dedicated melee button is also great, instead of making so you punch enemies that get too close, it made melee actually useful for me at the end of Feros when you're getting swarmed by creepers.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Heroic ironically has problems running some Linux native games from Gog. The Flatpak runtime it uses may not include libraries that the games depend on, and some games don't ship all their libraries.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah wasn't the whole point of the Legendary Edition was that they made 1 play and handle a bit more like 2?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, I bought Unreal Tournament 2004 on Steam years ago.

It installs flawlessly and runs very well. The controls are very responsive. The trackpad works perfectly when selecting maps in the UI.

frogbs posted:

I don't understand... The post you quoted was directly stating that UT2K4 runs flawlessly on the Steam Deck. That's what they meant by the trackpad comment, plus we're in the Steam Deck thread.

The only problem being that you can't buy it on Steam anymore (or anywhere, really), but if you own it already, you're good to go.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't understand... The post you quoted was directly stating that UT2K4 runs flawlessly on the Steam Deck. That's what they meant by the trackpad comment, plus we're in the Steam Deck thread.

The only problem being that you can't buy it on Steam anymore (or anywhere, really), but if you own it already, you're good to go.

That person had previously bought it through Steam, so they just clicked download and it ran. It's not available for purchase through Steam anymore so I have to install it another way. I thought maybe the version on Steam had been specifically prepared for Linux or the Steam Deck or something.

I've been out of PC gaming stuff for about 20 years, and am new to the Steam Deck so i'm still figuring out what's possible. Pretty cool how capable this thing is.

alexandriao posted:

gently caress, Deanna Troi, thats who it fuckin was goddamnnnnnn

I can't tell if you're kidding but literally the main advertising copy and the sole pitch of the steam deck is "All your windows games on the go" lol. Valve poured like billions of dollars over the past 5 years into it :goonsay:

Add the GOG installer as a non-steam game. Settings > compatibility > select Proton 9.0 or Proton Experimental. Run the installer and install it. Settings > Target > point it at the new .exe and rename. Should JustWork

I kind of bought the Steam Deck on a whim, I used a friends for a few minutes a few weeks ago and bought one of the refurbished ones. I haven't really seen any of Valve's marketing for it. I was mostly just planning on buying games from Steam.

I'm gonna try that with the GOG installer. Thank you!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Switch into desktop mode and install heroic games launcher, it lets you sign into your accounts for other storefronts and manage installing your games from them.

As far as games that dont work its pretty much limited to online multiplayer titles with extensive anticheat poo poo, the big ones being Fortnite and CoD.

Might give this a shot too, thank you!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 5, 2024

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

frogbs posted:

That person had previously bought it through Steam, so they just clicked download and it ran. It's not available for purchase through Steam anymore so I have to install it another way. I thought maybe the version on Steam had been specifically prepared for Linux or the Steam Deck or something.

I've been out of PC gaming stuff for about 20 years, and am new to the Steam Deck so i'm still figuring out what's possible. Pretty cool how capable this thing is.

I kind of bought the Steam Deck on a whim, I used a friends for a few minutes a few weeks ago and bought one of the refurbished ones. I haven't really seen any of Valve's marketing for it. I was mostly just planning on buying games from Steam.

I'm gonna try that with the GOG installer. Thank you!

Might give this a shot too, thank you!

I'm the one who bought UT2K4 on Steam, many years ago, so it has since been de-listed. https://delistedgames.com/all-delisted-steam-games/

The version that I installed on the Steamdeck is (As far as I know) the original Windows XP version, running Direct X 9. It's not a native Linux anything. But the graphics translation magic stuff on the Deck is so amazing that TWENTY YEAR OLD UT2K4 installs and plays like it's running on native hardware.

I'd just like to point out, once again, that a twenty year old video game, written for a now absolutely ancient operating system, runs perfectly on a Linux based handheld invented in 2022.

The amount of engineering needed to make this possible is absolutely astonishing.

Anyway, https://www.protondb.com/ will be very helpful if you want to find out what games will run on your Deck. There's also a Decky plugin, but you can look that up when you are more comfortable with some of the technical stuff.

E: If you are impressed with the Deck so far, wait until you discover that you can play God of War, God of War2, Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta at higher resolutions and frame rates than the originals.

If you have the time to do a deep dive, there are more powerful handhelds, but that power comes at the cost of battery life. I think you'll find that the Steamdeck is really the sweet spot between processing power and battery life; no one else seems to be able to engineer something quite like the Steamdeck.

Hope this helps.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 5, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Assassin's Creed Odyssey and God of War 2018 both run acceptably on the Deck as well. Valhalla might, I haven't tried it and it's like 130GB lol.

One weird thing I've noticed is that in Devil May Cry 5, the game runs smooth as butter in actual gameplay (on appropriate settings), but dips as low as 15FPS at points in some cutscenes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah Assassin's Creed Odyssey ran great till it decided to randomly stop loading for me so Im kinda over the UBI games

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

frogbs posted:

Ah, gotcha. And yes, the Steam Deck is pretty much my favourite and best video game related purchase I've ever made, and I've been buying games for 30+ years.

UT2K4 is a beautiful, beautiful game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ah, gotcha. And yes, the Steam Deck is pretty much my favourite and best video game related purchase I've ever made, and I've been buying games for 30+ years.

I wish I could go back in time and show young Medullah who could only afford a couple new games a year this magical portable device that has all the NES games at the tip of your fingers. He'd be blown away.

I'd have to be careful when I handed it to him though because the same matter can't occupy the same space

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I love my steam deck more than i loved my gameboy as a kid ha

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I love my steam deck more than my disappointing son richard

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mescal posted:

I love my steam deck more than i loved my gameboy as a kid ha

I never had a gameboy and grew up with first world fomo. Had it for years.

A DS never changed that. Any console I've ever had hasn't changed that. Until now.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Steam Deck better than therapy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beastie posted:

Steam Deck better than therapy

And cheaper!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
You can also post on these very forums with your Steamdeck, as I am doing right now. the left trackpad acts like a thumbwheel to scroll up and down and the right trackpad acts like a mouse pad. its very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

My favorite use case for the Deck has been essentially turning it into a late 90's/early 2000's era PC.

I only ever really had "The Family Computer" growing up, which was always a step or two behind the graphical standards of the day at best, and quite frankly was ready to melt into the earth by the time we got to Half-Life 2 and Doom 3. So running those games or C&C, Unreal Tournament, Quake etc - your PC-rear end PC games - on a handheld of all things, with customisable controller inputs, will forever feel absolutely wild to me. It's definitely my "go back in time and blow your tiny mind" thing.