Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We did it folks, there’s now a “news” channel that’s just playing content all day about how lockdowns destroyed America

lmao words no longer have any sort of meaning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Bag of Milk posted:

Trump said in June 2020 that if we stop testing that cases will go down. He was decried as a mass murdering maniac at the time, but the basic logic is now bipartisan gospel and can be applied to many potential problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vik8Hr-oubg

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

NeonPunk posted:

Aw poo poo

https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/status/1786779466452075000

We're really just giving the bird flu plenty of opportunities to really jump over to us aren't we?

Can’t remember who said it in an earlier incarnation of this thread but lol that these are the good ol’ days.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Aww :)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
"wow, i bet i this will generate some content for r/cats"

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah I saw that and got pretty upset.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
the cat just enjoys the 105 degree surface btw

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

We did it folks, there’s now a “news” channel that’s just playing content all day about how lockdowns destroyed America

I want a news channel which asks "vaxxed?" after every segment

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
AHHH

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
AHHHHH

maxwellhill posted:

the cat just enjoys the 105 degree surface btw

ffffuuuuuuuuck

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

Been spending most my life
living in a demo paradise
Caught Covid that was nice
Open Biden, got it twice,
Biden still owes me mine
Living in a demo paradise

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

MLK Ultra posted:

Been spending most my life
Caught Covid that was nice
Open Biden, got it twice,
Biden still owes me mine
Living in a demo paradise

Oh gently caress it was Democrat delight.

Just pretend I did something with Afternoon Delight and it involved medi-copters being in the air

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

RIP cat.

RIP babys health.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I've been trying to get my kid to wear the Savewo 3D Bear masks. I haven't been able to get a single earloop on her.

How'd you all ease your toddlers into masking?

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I need to get my kid to mask or else I'm going to end up on the spreadsheet.

Or the deadsheet.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Oracle posted:

got a basement?

i am protected.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

I am become the turbojoker

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

A Bag of Milk posted:

Trump said in June 2020 that if we stop testing that cases will go down. He was decried as a mass murdering maniac at the time, but the basic logic is now bipartisan gospel and can be applied to many potential problems.

owns

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hey remember how tens of thousands of sea lions died from bird flu in South America last year? I wonder why we don't hear any stories about cattle herds getting bird flu down there.

Also here's a timeline of all the zoonotic breakouts of bird flu over the last four years. There's a lot!
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/timeline/avian-timeline-2020s.htm

That fucker gets around

quote:

In December 2023, HPAI A(H5N1) virus infections were reported in elephant and fur seals in the Antarctic. When combined with the polar bear infection in the Arctic, this marked the first time HPAI A(H5N1) virus infections had been reported in both polar regions.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
a song by smelly moofarts-o:

I’m infectious, that's for sure
You’ll never stop my clade
I’m deadly but it's only 'poors'
Yet you won't ever change
And though your treats are rare
Though your flu is true

I infect birds, I'll only spread each day
I don't know where your soul is, but I know where my host is
(and dummy all I need for you to know is)
I infect birds, I'll only spread each day
I don't know where your soul is, but I know where my host is
All I need for you to know is

:crnasickos:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

maxwellhill posted:

i am protected.

store the tests down there. cooler but not fridge cool and less likely to see wild temp swings

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I am become the turbojoker

vaxxed?

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/findmeabluebird/status/1786887377828319324

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

How much facial hair does it take to affect the seal of an Aura? I'm being forced back into the office on a more regular basis and while I'll shave if I have more than a day's growth when needing to mask, I'm wondering if it's necessary to do so. I don't want a full grown beard or anything like that, but would ideally prefer to not have to shave so often if I can get away with it.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Nvm, misread the question

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I found moisture to be more annoying when there was facial hair for it to cling to, but I was doing grocery store manual labor in a mask so that might not be a problem if you have a desk job. You can just not mouth breath and it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

TLDR: a worn out aura works as good as a new one

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ColdBlooded posted:

How much facial hair does it take to affect the seal of an Aura? I'm being forced back into the office on a more regular basis and while I'll shave if I have more than a day's growth when needing to mask, I'm wondering if it's necessary to do so. I don't want a full grown beard or anything like that, but would ideally prefer to not have to shave so often if I can get away with it.

OSHA says one day. The medical field feels good about anything under one millimetre, which is about three days’ growth.

One study* looked at beard length and Auras at skipped from clean shave to “light stubble” using a visual assessment, which is a method with some slop in it but supposedly corresponds to about five days unshaven. The proportion of persons passing the quantitative fit test with “light stubble” was worse than halved. So five days is definitely too much.

Prince et al. were more granular in tests involving the moulded cup type 3M 8210, starting with full-bearded subjects and trimming incrementally. They claim victory on up to two and a half millimetres of stubble (a weekish unshaven), because the subject is generally still getting less than five percent leakage at that point, but there’s very measurable degradation at and before that point, it’s just not driving the subjects below the threshold yet.

Susceptibility to stubble-induced degradation varies with respirator design, and Auras may be less robust in this aspect than moulded cup respirators.

I think that you should follow OSHA practice and shave daily, but for the sake of entertaining mediocre ideas, you could probably get away with shaving two or three times per workweek. Once per week is pretty clearly dangerous.

*paywalled but Sci-Hub has it, DOI 10.1016/j.jhin.2020.01.006

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-06/hundreds-died-catching-covid-victoria-hospitals-testing-masking/103784896

quote:

Documents obtained by ABC News under Freedom of Information laws reveal at least 6,212 patients caught COVID in hospital in 24 months — 3,890 in 2022 and 2,322 in 2023. Of those, 586 died — almost six per week, on average — with men dying at a higher rate than women (11 per cent vs 8 per cent).

Though hospital-acquired infections and deaths declined in 2023 — in line with COVID mortality trends in the broader community — the proportion of patients who died after catching the virus in hospital hardly budged, dropping from about 10 per cent in 2022 to about 9 per cent in 2023.

It comes following the release of new research that shows screening hospital patients for COVID and staff wearing N95 masks can substantially reduce infections and deaths, saving the health system potentially hundreds of millions of dollars in the long term.

:airquote: New :airquote: data, c'mon now

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

wonder if this'll meet the mythical RCT quality criteria for "do filtering facepiece respirators work"

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Platystemon posted:

OSHA says one day. The medical field feels good about anything under one millimetre, which is about three days’ growth.

One study* looked at beard length and Auras at skipped from clean shave to “light stubble” using a visual assessment, which is a method with some slop in it but supposedly corresponds to about five days unshaven. The proportion of persons passing the quantitative fit test with “light stubble” was worse than halved. So five days is definitely too much.

wait what

what the gently caress is wrong with my freakish facial follicles

other than all the woodhairs I mean. I don't get any cool werewolf powers, I just look like a middle-aged lovely teenager making poor life choices if I haven't shaved in the last twenty hours

...okay, after some quick googling, because I had no awareness of this information at all, disclaimer, apparently human hair growth rates vary A LOT. So the timescale given there is somewhat loose and you should go by the hair length for your personal approximations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bernard Hill (Théoden in the LOTR films, captain from Titanic) died unexpectedly today. He had cancelled an appearance at Comicon due to his wife (82 year old Marianne Hill) being ‘very ill’ just days before.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

corona familiar posted:

wonder if this'll meet the mythical RCT quality criteria for "do filtering facepiece respirators work"

I'm just pleasantly surprised that 'covid is real and bad news and is killing people' is being acknowledged as a concept by a mainstream news source. I don't expect it to change much, but it would nice to see a sea-change back towards acknowledging material reality. idk maybe bird flu is spooking people now that it's well-established in livestock populations in a way that capital won't address

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

FunkyFjord posted:

You can just not mouth breath and it shouldn't be much of an issue.

that might be hard for goons

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

wait what

what the gently caress is wrong with my freakish facial follicles

other than all the woodhairs I mean. I don't get any cool werewolf powers, I just look like a middle-aged lovely teenager making poor life choices if I haven't shaved in the last twenty hours

...okay, after some quick googling, because I had no awareness of this information at all, disclaimer, apparently human hair growth rates vary A LOT. So the timescale given there is somewhat loose and you should go by the hair length for your personal approximations.

Yeah, I'm one of those people who gets a good layer of sexy stubble after one day. So I have to shave every 1-2 days to keep a good seal. Every other day is pushing it, and 3 days is definitely too much.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

"Feeling normal" has never been about doing the activities, it's always about been fulfilling class and cultural role expectations and I'll tell you the most basic reason why: feeling normal isn't a freestanding feeling, it's coded language for an absence of shame. When they aren't performing their assigned roles, most people feel shame. That's an adaptive emotional response in the context of a social and economic support structure (friends, work, spouse, etc.) that is heavily conditioned on those role expectations being fulfilled. People may not - and actually almost certainly won't - admit that they're afraid of being abandoned, but shame is their brain telling them to feel bad about doing things that could lead to that outcome. Feeling shame, or imagining a shameful outcome, is also a very strong motivator to police group behavior because if you're worried about being out-grouped you're going to be hypervigilant of those in-group signifiers in others as well as yourself.

This is already a pretty strong predisposer to ostracizing the vulnerable but unfortunately our elites invest a significant amount of money at playing on people's hopes and fears with mass propaganda campaigns. It doesn't take much to turn people's misgivings about being weird or viewed as outside the in-group into an extremely strong and reflexive hostility toward anything deemed abnormal, and people are being loving blasted with this poo poo 24/7 any time they turn on the TV, go on Facebook, or listen to NPR.

That's why you can't argue with people about it and win; you can't get anywhere by (rightly) pointing out that almost everything they want to do can be done in a mask or that they're compromising their own so-called principles by not protecting the vulnerable people all around them. Sticking to any of that poo poo - even imagining doing it - causes a manufactured reflexive shame response that none of those things are Normal, and Normal is Safe (for me because I'll be kicked to the curb if I don't perform normalcy).

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Prince et al. were more granular in tests involving the moulded cup type 3M 8210, starting with full-bearded subjects and trimming incrementally. They claim victory on up to two and a half millimetres of stubble (a weekish unshaven), because the subject is generally still getting less than five percent leakage at that point, but there’s very measurable degradation at and before that point, it’s just not driving the subjects below the threshold yet.

Susceptibility to stubble-induced degradation varies with respirator design, and Auras may be less robust in this aspect than moulded cup respirators.

I think that you should follow OSHA practice and shave daily, but for the sake of entertaining mediocre ideas, you could probably get away with shaving two or three times per workweek. Once per week is pretty clearly dangerous.

*paywalled but Sci-Hub has it, DOI 10.1016/j.jhin.2020.01.006

Thanks, this is really helpful!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
The one good thing about the pandemic being cancelled, is that without the pressure to actually stop the harm, the long term effects on public health can finally be recognized by the authorities. Decent overview here from FT, though naturally utilizing low-balling estimates, while criticizing said low-balling. Just a few excerpts, but it goes on in the same vein for anyone interested (with a bit of euro-centric highlighting, as we rarely hear the EU estimates).

https://www.ft.com/content/bb09a03d-4a87-4cea-ae87-986769fd4680 posted:

Health systems and employers count economic cost of long Covid
Experts warn better data is required to drive policy as debilitating condition reduces workforce

Long Covid is exerting a silent drag on work and health, say officials and economists who warn that a struggle to count the costs of the condition is leaving authorities “shooting in the dark”.
(..)
“We have growing evidence that the burden of long Covid is still exacerbating pressure on our health systems,” said Hans Kluge, European regional director of the World Health Organization. “But countries are not monitoring and reporting data consistently. We need better reporting, surveillance and diagnostics, but also data on hospitalisations, mortality and healthcare costs.”

Without this, he warned, “we will continue to shoot our policy bullets in the dark”. The WHO aims to determine the extent of long Covid among health workers involved in rehabilitating Covid patients in Armenia, Georgia, Italy, Poland and the UK.

One EU estimate suggests that long Covid may have cut labour supply in the bloc by up to 0.5 per cent in 2022, the equivalent of more than 1mn full-time workers. Studies in the US and UK have reached broadly similar conclusions — suggesting the condition has driven the recent increase in workplace absence in many countries.
(..)
It is far from clear how long economies will be affected. An estimated 36mn people across WHO’s European region, which covers 53 countries with a total population of almost 1bn, may have experienced long Covid symptoms in the first three years of the pandemic, said Kluge. He added that the condition’s prevalence was about 1.7 per cent of the EU population in 2021 and nearly 3 per cent in 2022.

In the US, the Census Bureau’s Household Pulse Survey shows that 1.7 per cent of American adults were reporting “significant activity limitations” as a result of long Covid in February and early March this year.
(..)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

The one good thing about the pandemic being cancelled, is that without the pressure to actually stop the harm, the long term effects on public health can finally be recognized by the authorities. Decent overview here from FT, though naturally utilizing low-balling estimates, while criticizing said low-balling. Just a few excerpts, but it goes on in the same vein for anyone interested (with a bit of euro-centric highlighting, as we rarely hear the EU estimates).

lol, FT comments sections WRT covid are always so dire.

quote:

Now waiting for the FT to do a long, deep dive multi-series article into:

1) Those who have suffered from COVID severe and life-impacting vaccine side effects, both ones reported in the system, and estimate of those who did not report under vaccine side effect tracking systems but are suffering.

2) The impact on labour markets of COVID vaccine mandates, in many sectors including air transport, health care (in Canada, in some provinces, hospitals are still not willing to offer unvaccinated doctors and nurses and other medical staff their jobs back despite a severe healthcare shortage and system pressures), where people lost their jobs and livelihoods or were forced to retire early.

quote:

Really controversial topic with little reliable data.
What about an article regarding the cost of lockdowns with supply and demand disruption with 2-3years of whatever it takes (fiscal and monetary)?

quote:

Is there such a thing as "long Covid"? Most doctors I know are sceptical. Maybe a fraction of a per cent have it but I suspect most who complain are the same sorts of people who used to get "ME" (remember that!) or mysterious back pain.

quote:

Let's call a spade a spade. In most cases, it's simply "long slacking".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Steve Yun posted:

TLDR: a worn out aura works as good as a new one

Good to know. The only problem is the nose clip becomes really angular and hard to get a complete seal with after a few uses.