Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Dinette

Popcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is this the first acknowledgement of Jon’s career since the 70s?

Not sure about the strip but I believe it came up a few times in the Garfield & Friends cartoon at least

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

drat this lady was so determined to cuck wilbur she sexually assaulted a waiter

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

I like that Feuti took the effort to draw the computer a second time.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Murdstone posted:

But...but it's Sunday. :negative:

lol dude, i don't know what made it so CK now has a random safe havens strips on sundays but its really loving with my routine of "posting at 2am before i go to bed so im not thinking at all about what im doing"

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I just love the little smile on that man's face

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Malachite_Dragon posted:

... A coyote who has presumably lived there for years and not bothered anybody; leave him the gently caress alone.

IIRC, wasn't this one of the hate group predators that the Good Guys punished by pushing down a hole into the rabbit warren (also without telling the rabbits they just sent a bunch of hungry predators their way lol)? Disregarding their previous affiliation, the guy's done well to adjust and make a new life for himself so they really should just leave him the gently caress alone. Everything Holbrook wrote about the warrens paint it as this horrific dystopian state so exposing this guy is going to get them killed.

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Flashback Gordon.

The way the comic adds bits of characterization for the POV person is so good. Flash trying to pass off the hint of attraction as being cold, or him thinking Drukka looks mean because doesn't know her as a person but still going along with Fria anyway. :allears:

This rules so much.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

ellie the beep posted:

this comic loving rules
I agree, but I was reading that and thought if I didn't read the weekday strips, I would not enjoy the Sundays at all. It's a great recap, but traditionally Sundays should take the place of the week, and this method doesn't really do that to me. It tells the story, but doesn't show it.

Of course, arguably the traditional Sunday rule simply doesn't apply anymore in today's world where few people read the physical comics section, and this is maybe one of the first strips to take advantage of that to do something a little different.

What I'm saying is new Flash Gordon is next-level stuff and continues to find new ways to impress me.
:lol:

F Minus

Mark Trail

pencilhands posted:

:sickos:

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Flash Gordon

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

Haraiso Days

quote:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I like the little identifier tag for the other dog, just to head off anyone who thinks it was a continuity error.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(January 26, 1919) timged for Mock Duck

Tocsin

Gasoline Alley(December 21, 1919)

Little Nemo(June 21, 1908)

So I just a book containing full color serials drawn by Nell Brinkely. These serials ran from 1918 through the 1930's in Hearst's 'American Weekly' Sunday supplement, and generally involved women going on adventures, often going completely against the usual depiction of women of the time, being heroic, and more often saving the man than being saved.

This first story, running in two parts, March 31 - May 5, 1918 and September 15, 1918 - February 23, 1919, titled "Golden Eyes" and Her Hero, "Bill", follows the heroin ans she follows her soldier lover across to france in the middle of the war. Three parts of the story were missing in the book, but I was able to find them on Newspapers.com, though in black and white.

I'll be posting these on Sundays, and the regular newspaper Brinkley panels will now be posted daily, though will be in their own posts as my daily comics posts are long enough.

Nell Brinkely - "Golden Eyes" and Her Hero, "Bill"(March 31, 1918)

quote:

"Golden Eyes" bids her soldier lover "Bill" farewell. On his sleeve she places her own device - The heart she has given him. There are many "Golden Eyes" and many "Bills" and here are the devices they wear which tell what they are. Each, no doubt, covers the same symbol that "Golden Eyes" of the picture gave here lover.

The original piece clearly had the labels under the bottom row of devices, but the book cut them off. This the best quality scan I can get, so the labels that are there are a bit blurry. The actual story begins next Sunday.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

cyberpunk girl with a cat smile who works at the construction company, save me.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Steenz is by no means as incompetent a cartoonist as Jules Rivera but I still can't get over how they seem to be unable to depict the kids' parents as appearing more than like five years older than the kids.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

ukonvasara posted:

Steenz is by no means as incompetent a cartoonist as Jules Rivera but I still can't get over how they seem to be unable to depict the kids' parents as appearing more than like five years older than the kids.

wait those are the parents???

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Heaven help me, I've read this thing 4 times now and there's not even a hint of a joke. What a waste of newspaper space.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Vox Valentine posted:

cyberpunk girl with a cat smile who works at the construction company, save me.

Yea I'm already loving this crew but chars with fangs are peak design.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

amigolupus posted:

IIRC, wasn't this one of the hate group predators that the Good Guys punished by pushing down a hole into the rabbit warren (also without telling the rabbits they just sent a bunch of hungry predators their way lol)? Disregarding their previous affiliation, the guy's done well to adjust and make a new life for himself so they really should just leave him the gently caress alone. Everything Holbrook wrote about the warrens paint it as this horrific dystopian state so exposing this guy is going to get them killed.

I don't think so, I think he's just a random-rear end coyote Rudy smelled one day and then got told to leave it be by his girlfriend, we didn't get any info on who they were or why they were there. And now Holbrook is going back to it because he's bored and needs an easily poked drama beehive, i guess?
I could be wrong re: the coyotes affiliation, it's been a minute since they showed up.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/17-19/52

Archie 5/1-3/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 8/11-13/77

... Vera is her Aunt Gladys's sister?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Selachian posted:

Archie 5/1-3/50

That doesn't seem safe.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

pencilhands posted:

A preemptive cuckstrike

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
The Blood Egg Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

Also, I don't think it was posted here, but a few weeks ago The Comics Journal had a short interview with Norm Feuti. No major revelations, but still interesting.

quote:

My question about Lunker isn't quite so heavy as the rest of these. Are we supposed to be reading him in a dumb guy voice, or in a foreign, possibly Russian accent? Either way, there's certainly hints that he's a lot smarter than his general appearance would imply.

It's supposed to be a dumb guy/caveman sort of voice, but clearly Lunker is a savant of some kind. I created Lunker for pure fun, and he stuck around. Readers often mentioned him as one of their favorite characters.

Despite your own success in this field, as well as your new one, as I'm sure you're aware, newspaper comics as a field are contacting, alongside the newspapers themselves. Do you have any advice for still-active newspaper cartoonists, as in the ones young enough they'll likely be thinking about a career change before too long? If you have any favorite newspaper strips of your own, old or new, that you'd like to give a shout-out to, now would be the time to do it.

I have nothing but respect for anyone who can make a living in newspaper comics, and I wouldn't be presume to have some sage advice to offer. But for anyone who's thinking about making a change, just remember your skill set has value beyond newspaper strips. It's not the end of the road.

As for favorite newspaper strips? I'll skip the usual greats from yesteryear that everyone names and mention a few of my current favorites. Off the Mark, Rip Haywire, The Brilliant Mind of Edison Lee, Pooch Café, Phoebe and her Unicorn and Wallace the Brave... just to name a few.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

oh man i was just asking a coworker the other day if he'd ever done pencil fights at school and he had no idea what i was talking about, lol

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
A Sketchy Life for May 3, 1928 is a little bit sketchier than usual, since the "Burlesque Number" is largely :words: in the course of having jolly fun at the rest of the 1928 news stand, so not much that would work for something silly like I'm doing. It does have a dandy John Held Jr. cover, though.

What there are of cartoons are magazine specific, like this one for New Masses

And the unkillable New Yorker:

Apart from that, here's a back-page filler from the actual Harvard Lampoon:

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Mercury Hat posted:

oh man i was just asking a coworker the other day if he'd ever done pencil fights at school and he had no idea what i was talking about, lol

I hadn't thought about that in forever lol

I feel like it was middle school for me when it became popular

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mercury Hat posted:

We just called it "pencil break."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > BSS: Bisexual Super Son > Comic Strips 2024: Half Full... Of @*??*#@!!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Taking out the eraser and flattening the metal part was cheating.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Related to this thread's interests:

quote:

"If the cartoons prove popular in London I shall be engaged for maybe 4 years to deliver one a day. Permanent employment – the first time in my life... They want them quite large with lots of detail and keep changing things and raising objections, so it takes quite a long time to finish a whole strip. Here on the island, I’ve finally had time to make a start on them – I’ve got to deliver them regularly, in bundles of six. Where to put in murals and oil painting ...?" Tove Jansson wrote to her dear friend Eva Konikoff in June 1952 after the contract of the comics was agreed.
Tove enjoyed the first years of working with the comics, having to submit material six months before the publication date. Tove highly appreciated a regular income. However, the workload with comics, pictorial art, and books soon became overwhelming and in 1957, after 14 Moomin comics, Tove's brother Lars started to help his sister with her comics.

And I really loved this self-portrait she drew of her and Moomin, who despite being tiny, is kinda looming over her.

And now I'm wondering if Moomin is to scale here, and Moominvalley is actually really tiny.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 03, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Is that a lion?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

WHAT THE gently caress A TALKING CAT

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Nell Brinkley(March 7, 1908)

quote:

NELL BRINKLEY TELLS HOW TO CHOOSE A WIFE

THIS is the Blessed Billy of the Ebony Black. The Billy of the grouch. He glares at the world under the straight black bar that his brows make across his face. He goes home to Betty and the cat, coming down hard on his heels. He skids his derby into a corner, tugs himself sullenly out of his coat and straightway opens up the white wings of his newspaper and glares therein!

And the cat gazes upon him weirdly with the topaz eyes of a reincarnated Egyptian Princess, and winks solemnly at Betty: "Billy's got 'em. He's a devil of a fellow, too, 'cause he never tells 'cause why."

This Billy seems to have strings tied to all the thumb-smashings and shin-crackings and toe-stubbings, and all the fearful many of the things that make Billys to cuss and the Bettys to giggle up their silken sleeves.

He fills an own, particular, special cemetery he has with dead men each day; and the world standing by, with its hat on the back of its head and its tongue in its cheek, hears the tales of the dead man. but sees no cemeteries, and it throws up its hands and laughs noiselessly and skips away, singing, "oh, la!" at the Billy of the ebony black grouch.

He rears and pitches when it snows. He shakes his fist at the eternal sky when it rains, and he tucks his chin in his tie and won't look when it blazes blinding blue above him and the sun is a golden mist in the air. He forgets, or maybe he never knew, that there is beauty and wonder in the world.

The toes of this Billy's boots are peeled into a beautiful. honorable, copper color, with the kicking of him!

I have a little think in my head that for this Blessed Billy there should be the Betty, the ditto Betty, with copper-colored toes and a cemetery, too. Pack them off in four walls and let them kick till the moon went out and the doomsday came; so that any other Billy and Betty who had a bit of gayety in their hearts and hadn't forgotten how to laugh much. mightn't die the deaths of rag babies because they were mated to the Billy and the Betty of the "copper toes and the cemetery."

But the tinsel fortune teller doesn't tell that the stars say that way. They tell that for the Billy of the Ebony Black, who has for gotten how to smile and tip up his chin and look at the sky sometimes, there is the Betty of Pink.

She is as light as the elderdown powder puff that she fluffs over her pinky face. There is pink on her cheeks, and pink on her chin and she laughs much and thinks only a little.

She loves to live, but not wisely, because of the wonder of there being pictures and tales told in colorful words, and music and satin-petaled flowers in it; not because of the beauty that lives in it, but just 'cause she's a pinky Betty like my kitten. which is gay and likes to eat, and sleep, and chase a green and yellow bell on the end of a string, and wash her pink nose, and wink at the sun on the floor.

This gay, pinky Betty would meet this ebony Billy, whoop-deed-doo, at the door and bowl into the blackness. of his grouch like as if that elderdown puff of hers were dusted in his face to make him to sneeze and choke-and laugh maybe!

She would tease the blackness out of him. She would barricade him and make him "tell why."

And then, when he had told why, she would laugh at him and flirt with him and call him a beast, and tell him wonderful tales of the new dress she had.

She would make him tell "yes" when he thought "no."

She would ram a pink forefinger through the white wings of his paper if she wanted to talk, and then he would crumple it up and tip back his head and listen; and while he watched the tilt of her funny nose, and the winking laugh in her eyes, and her child's voice, and her child's throat when she bent to shake her head at him- maybe, then, a laugh would grow in his eyes and his blackness would lose itself in the charm of the little music box voice of his pink Betty.

Anyway she would spot the black of him with little, gay, pink, happy bits.

And when the moon went out and the doomsday came, this Billy's toes of his boots would maybe be not so cop- pery with the scuffs of his eternal kickings as they would have been if there had not been the little, light, foolish, powder puff gayety of his pink Betty to beguile him into laughing and seeing things more pink than black.

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 6, 2024

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hippocrass posted:

Nell Brinkley(March 7, 1908)

I hope this Billy is a tiger in the sack, because otherwise dude is really not bringing anything to the table of this theoretical relationship

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/23-25/43

I hope it's not too late to sign up for the Legs Larkin fan club.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

I hope this Billy is a tiger in the sack, because otherwise dude is really not bringing anything to the table of this theoretical relationship

He's got a bit of 'Napoleon slouched in his throne' about him. Drives the girls wild. Her father hates him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

... why is the stupid dead frog inside a flask to begin with? Explain yourself, DNA wizard.