Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Gucci Loafers posted:

In the scheme of things, it's not that he doesn't need those votes. It's those are the least of a priority.

Again, if you or anyone else has information that a particular demographic could that deeply cares about I/P could significantly influence the election I'd love to see it.
Don't worry, I'm sure we'll all see come November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gucci Loafers posted:

In the scheme of things, it's not that he doesn't need those votes. It's those are the least of a priority.

Again, if you or anyone else has information that a particular demographic could that deeply cares about I/P could significantly influence the election I'd love to see it.

Muslim voters in Michigan. When a state is as closely divided as MI has been over the past decade, 1% of voters (or even a fraction of 1%) can make a major difference.

VitalSigns posted:

Doubtful.

Trump made noises about opposing wars in 2016 too, but in office he surrounded himself with neocons and mostly did whatever they said: bombed Syria, drone attacks, assassinated American citizens and random foreign civilians, assassinated that Iranian general, etc. He really only backed away from the really insane stuff like carpet bombing Iran.

US oligarchs are extremely dedicated to bringing Ukraine into the American sphere of influence, Trump is unlikely to resist them regardless of what he says now. He will fall in line with the imperial forever wars just like last time.

Yeah, I agree with this. If there's any lesson to be gleaned from US foreign policy over the past century or so, it's that there's a lot of continuity between presidencies.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll all see come November.

Maybe, things could change but as it now I/P is a low priority.

Majorian posted:

Muslim voters in Michigan. When a state is as closely divided as MI has been over the past decade, 1% of voters (or even a fraction of 1%) can make a major difference.

I'm well aware there is a large Muslim population but the thing is not all of them are going to vote and you also have other groups too. Remember, Hilary lost 2016 because White Blue Collar Auto workers stayed home on voting day or flipped for Trump.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If the war is still going on by the time people start voting, it's going to be a factor. We're getting massive waves of student protests, rich kids getting shot with rubber bullets, support for Israel nosediving, an ongoing ICJ case, and a rapidly radicalizing Israel & its officials publicly attacking Americans.

If that's all still in play 6 months from now, and Biden hasn't changed his tune, and especially if Netanyahu stumps for Trump again, then it's going to impact votes.

The issue with priority polls is that they don't cover whether or not the subject could make them change their vote, they're just asked to pick one they care most about. Someone who picks Abortion as their #1 issue might still be disillusioned against voting for Biden if he continues to come off as inhumane on Israel.

We've actually seen the inverse on Gun Control; a lot of people say they care a lot about Gun Control, but virtually nobody makes their support contingent on being pro-Gun Control. Anti-Gun Control is significantly smaller, but they're spread out across several important states, cross party borders, and will vote against politicians who regulate their rifles. So we don't see progress on that outside of lame ducks and supermajorities.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gucci Loafers posted:

I'm well aware there is a large Muslim population but the thing is not all of them are going to vote and you also have other groups too. Remember, Hilary lost 2016 because White Blue Collar Auto workers stayed home on voting day or flipped for Trump.

You asked for an example of "a particular demographic that deeply cares about I/P that could significantly influence the election." I gave you one. The fact that there are other demographics in Biden's coalition that may desert him (young voters especially) kind of proves my point: he can't take strategically vital segments of his coalition for granted.

So I turn your question around to you: what demographics is Biden hoping to win over (or, if they are already part of his coalition, secure) with his hardline pro-Zionism stance? Are there enough undecided Zionist voters who will only vote for him if he continues this hardline stance? What is the domestic political calculus at work here? Or is it just an insane ideological commitment to Zionism that's guiding Biden during this mass slaughter?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Majorian posted:

So I turn your question around to you: what demographics is Biden hoping to win over (or, if they are already part of his coalition, secure) with his hardline pro-Zionism stance?

I totally agree with the first half of your post - both that Muslims in Michigan are a significant voting demographic that are clearly less likely to vote for him due to his Gaza policy, and that you answered the poster's question before they moved the goalposts.

But I think your question has such an obvious answer that I'm not sure why you didn't just acknowledge it: one major voter demographic Biden helps secure by continuing a pro-Zionism policy is the one that Zionism itself is meant to serve, and the demographic that within the Democratic party that is by far most committed to Zionism: Jews, duh.

There is polling evidence that the median American Jew is more emotionally invested in the war than the median American Muslim. One way to explain this is that Palestine is a small part of the Muslim world, and important to the Muslim religion, but Israel is almost half of the Jewish world, and totally central to the Jewish religion.

quote:

In the U.S., 62% of Jews and 53% of Muslims report that hearing or reading news about the Israel-Hamas war makes them afraid. In other religious and nonreligious groups, the share expressing fear is lower. Jews are also more likely than other U.S. religious groups to say news about the conflict makes them feel angry.

American Jews and Muslims are also paying more attention to the war than other groups analyzed, with 61% of Jews and 41% of Muslims saying they’re following it extremely or very closely.

https://www.pewresearch.org/2024/03/21/majority-in-u-s-say-israel-has-valid-reasons-for-fighting-fewer-say-the-same-about-hamas/

If Biden were to be seen as "giving in" to protests that are widely condemned as antisemitic (they aren't, but we're talking about the political calculus here), or abandoning the idea that the State of Israel has a right to sovereignty throughout all the land it currently controls, he might very easily lose more Jewish voters than he gains Muslim voters.

In order to facilitate exactly this sort of pragmatic Zionist calculation, the American-Israeli Cooperative Enterprise out together a table comparing the Jewish population in each state to Biden's margin of victory in that state. Obviously not all of these Jews are eligible voters, but you can see their relevance in states like Pennsylvania, Georgia, Arizona, Nevada.

quote:

State Jewish Population 2020 Biden Margin
Pennsylvania 433,660 +80,555
Georgia 141,020 +11,779
Arizona 123,750 +10,457
Michigan 119,905 +154,188
Nevada 79,800 +33,596
North Carolina 48,935 −74,483
Wisconsin 33,455 +20,682

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jewish-population-in-swing-states-for-2024-presidential-election

quote:

Or is it just an insane ideological commitment to Zionism that's guiding Biden during this mass slaughter?

Obviously Biden has that commitment, but it's not *just* this - there is a large share of voters who share his ideological commitment to Zionism and who would be much more likely to abandon him if he abandoned it. And, maybe more importantly, there are donors who are either ideologically committed to Zionism or financially invested in the Israeli-military-American-industrial-complex.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 5, 2024

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
You’re making not very accurate assumption that democratic Jewish voters skew heavily Zionist

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Civilized Fishbot posted:

But I think your question has such an obvious answer that I'm not sure why you didn't just acknowledge it: one major voter demographic Biden helps secure by continuing a pro-Zionism policy is the one that Zionism itself is meant to serve, and the demographic that within the Democratic party that is by far most committed to Zionism: Jews, duh.

Well, but the reason why I didn't acknowledge it is because I don't think it's quite so obvious that he's going to benefit that much electorally by catering to Zionist Jews. It's especially not obvious (at least to me) that he will gain enough votes to offset what he's losing in young and/or Muslim voters (or, indeed, young Jewish voters who don't support Israel's actions). Since at least February, a majority of Jewish Democrats have supported a ceasefire. Is there any real indication that Jewish voters in Biden's coalition would abandon him if he were to be less supportive of Israel's genocidal campaign?

It would be helpful to have some data about how Zionist attitudes are distributed throughout the country by state; I'll try to dig some up later.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

fool of sound posted:

You’re making not very accurate assumption that democratic Jewish voters skew heavily Zionist

Relative to the rest of the party they absolutely do. Read these figures keeping in mind that 70% of American Jews are Democrats, far above the national composition which is about 50/50.

quote:

By comparison, 89% of Jewish Americans say Israel’s reasons for fighting Hamas are valid – far more than the 58% of all U.S. adults who say this.

Jews are far more likely than the broader U.S. public to have a favorable view of the Israeli people (89% vs. 64%) and are also more likely than Americans overall to express a favorable opinion of Israel’s government (54% vs. 41%).

Obviously Republican Jews skew even more Zionist than our Democrats, but the average Jew is more Zionist than the average American even when we don't control for party alignment. The least-Zionist 70% of American Jews is more Zionist than the least-Zionist 50% of Americans overall.

I wish Pew made it easier by supplying straightforward cross tabs, but these polls confirm to me what basically every Jewish antizionist organizer, including me, will tell you: Jewish Democrats are, by and large, staunch liberal Zionists. Even Bernie Sanders dragged his feet on calling for a ceasefire!

Biden's calculations here aren't limited to Jewish votes - there's donation money and the ideological commitments shared among his inner circle. Just trying to answer the question "what significant voter demographic wants Biden to be Zionist" with the obvious answer.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 5, 2024

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Another thing is that there is a gradient of possible actions that support Israel, it's not a binary choice between unlimited lethal aid commitment or shouting "from the river to the sea" at the State of the Union address.

Does he have to cosign every single horrible atrocity that's infuriating Muslim Democrats in order to hang on to any Zionist votes? Does he have to cheer on the beatings and gassing of young people or he loses every single Zionist vote? Probably not, right. He could probably keep most Zionist votes by making lethal aid contingent on red lines against the worst atrocities, and pick up some pro-Palestinian votes. He could probably protect Americans' constitutional rights instead of justifying beating teens for protesting his actions, even if he ignored what they had to say, and still be fine with all but the most rabid Zionists. So even from a maximizing votes perspective, fully backing the destruction of hospitals, machine-gunning of breadlines, and carpet bombing refugee camps while cracking the skulls of the youth vote at home does not seem like the optimal course.

TLDR: it may be true that Biden has to side with Israel to maximize his votes. It is probably not true that he has to go as far in that support as he has. It's likely his extremism has gone far enough to start hurting him.

He just doesn't care about winning as much as he does about killing Palestinians.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 5, 2024

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Doubtful.

Trump made noises about opposing wars in 2016 too, but in office he surrounded himself with neocons and mostly did whatever they said: bombed Syria, drone attacks, assassinated American citizens and random foreign civilians, assassinated that Iranian general, etc. He really only backed away from the really insane stuff like carpet bombing Iran.

US oligarchs are extremely dedicated to bringing Ukraine into the American sphere of influence, Trump is unlikely to resist them regardless of what he says now. He will fall in line with the imperial forever wars just like last time.

You listed things Trump did to support Israel despite making noise about opposing wars.

That's my point. He's all in on helping Israel.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

You listed things Trump did to support Israel despite making noise about opposing wars.

That's my point. He's all in on helping Israel.

Oh I agree, I just don't think he will abandon the intervention in Ukraine no matter what he says om the campaign trail. It's just too important to the ruling class.

The people who think he would be better on Israel are wrong as well. The foreign policy of both parties is identical for the most part and Trump was no exception last time around.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 5, 2024

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Majorian posted:

Well, but the reason why I didn't acknowledge it is because I don't think it's quite so obvious that he's going to benefit that much electorally by catering to Zionist Jews. It's especially not obvious (at least to me) that he will gain enough votes to offset what he's losing in young and/or Muslim voters (or, indeed, young Jewish voters who don't support Israel's actions). Since at least February, a majority of Jewish Democrats have supported a ceasefire.

Another way to interpret that poll is "almost half of Jewish Democrats, far more than among Democrats in general, oppose a ceasefire." So if you're looking for the demographic Biden is looking to secure through his Israel policy, it makes sense to start there.

Either way, I think the trouble with questions like this is that "a ceasefire" means very different things to different people, as we've seen in this thread. It's more vague than asking about a generic Democrat or generic Republican which we know is a weak predictor of how the public will receive an actual warts-and-all candidate.

And my final concern here would be that it's dated before the Columbia protests, which a variety of media sources have used to imply that ceasefire advocates are in fact dangerous antisemites infesting your local college.

It might still be among the best data on this question. I do agree that the publicly available data here is really lacking. You know who might have the best data on this is the DNC and the GOP, and the inference from their strong Zionist stances is bad.

The median American Jewish Democrat is much more committed to Zionism, and offended by anti-Zionism, than the median Democrat. And the ongoing war has profoundly intensified this as voters, even those who think Netanyahu is a crook or the IDF is "going too far", experience anxiety about their own safety as American Jews and intertwine that anxiety with supposed existential threats to the Israeli state or people. Maybe I'm projecting my anecdotal experience onto ambiguous data, but it's also the anecdotal experience of basically every American Jew I know except the ones whose families were already leftists or Republicans.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 5, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
As far as I know the DNC doesn't *have* a strong official position on Gaza right now. Obviously it takes a bit for them to buck a sitting president and the state and national platforms for the year are still in progress. I'm waiting pretty intently to see what happens in the Texas party.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
That's a good point, I used DNC and GOP loosely to mean "Democratic/Republican party bureaucracy who conduct their own polls", I should've said "the Biden and Trump campaign operations" instead probably.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's because he doesn't want to outright state that he doesn't think Hamas doesn't care about Palestinians, so he hides behind "well it's an organization not an individual also it's complicated"

No.

Both groups involved perceive themselves as protecting and defending the populations they are within.

But that’s used as a motivation and justification for a huge amount of absolutely terrible human behavior both in group behaviors and individual behaviors. It’s a way in humans are manipulated into violence. It might even be the easiest way.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bar Ran Dun posted:

No.

Both groups involved perceive themselves as protecting and defending the populations they are within.

This doesn't count as "cares about" to you? Why not just answer yes?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Bar Ran Dun posted:

But that’s used as a motivation and justification for a huge amount of absolutely terrible human behavior both in group behaviors and individual behaviors. It’s a way in humans are manipulated into violence. It might even be the easiest way.

But people aren't talking about humans in general, they're talking about in this specific conflict between Israel and Hamas

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The median American Jewish Democrat is much more committed to Zionism, and offended by anti-Zionism, than the median Democrat. And the ongoing war has profoundly intensified this as voters, even those who think Netanyahu is a crook or the IDF is "going too far", experience anxiety about their own safety as American Jews and intertwine that anxiety with supposed existential threats to the Israeli state or people. Maybe I'm projecting my anecdotal experience onto ambiguous data, but it's also the anecdotal experience of basically every American Jew I know except the ones whose families were already leftists or Republicans.

I think there's a lot of truth in what you're saying, but here's the big question - do you think he needs to be quite as rabidly pro-Zionist as he has been in order to secure those votes for his reelection? Would those voters only vote for Biden if he kept turning the "uncritical support for Palestinian genocide" dial up to 11? Personally I doubt it. I think Biden could have triangulated a lot more between pro- and anti-Zionist parts of his coalition, and kept most if not all of those pro-Zionist voters on his side. I think he still could do that, albeit to a much more limited extent. That would be the smart move, imo, if he wanted to maximize his chances of serving another term and keeping Trump out of office. But that's not the stance he's taken so far. Up to this point he's been about as pro-Zionist as he could get without sending in American troops to help with the genocide.

So would Biden lose that many pro-Zionist Jewish votes if he had taken his foot off the gas a little bit before now? For a specific example, did he really need to bypass Congress on multiple occassions to send military aid to Israel? Would he have lost very many Jewish voters at all if he had not pulled stunts like that over the past seven months? Personally, I doubt that he would have. But I could be wrong.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 6, 2024

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Majorian posted:

I think there's a lot of truth in what you're saying, but here's the big question - do you think he needs to be quite as rabidly pro-Zionist as he has been in order to secure those votes for his reelection? Would those voters only vote for Biden if he kept turning the "uncritical support for Palestinian genocide" dial up to 11? Personally I doubt it. I think Biden could have triangulated a lot more between pro- and anti-Zionist parts of his coalition, and kept most if not all of those pro-Zionist voters on his side. I think he still could do that, albeit to a much more limited extent. That would be the smart move, imo, if he wanted to maximize his chances of serving another term and keeping Trump out of office. But that's not the stance he's taken so far. Up to this point he's been about as pro-Zionist as he could get without sending in American troops to help with the genocide.

So would Biden lose that many pro-Zionist Jewish votes if he had taken his foot off the gas a little bit before now? For a specific example, did he really need to bypass Congress on multiple occassions to send military aid to Israel? Would he have lost very many Jewish voters at all if he had not pulled stunts like that over the past seven months? Personally, I doubt that he would have. But I could be wrong.

Yeah I think the specific example you chose is a good one where it must've been informed by either personal ideological commitment or military-industrial politics. And I agree that at the start of the war he had a lot more room to maneuver here. And he had even more room to manuever before the Hamas attack.

At this point I think he has trapped himself into a position where, in dealing with the protests and in dealing with the Israeli state, he is much more able to lose pro-Israel voters than regain pro-Palestine voters. Especially considering that the pro-Israel voters are already being wooed by both Trump and Kennedy while pro-Palestine voters are being wooed by much less weaker operations like Jill Stein, Cornel West, the PSL.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 6, 2024

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Doubtful.

Has Trump said anything to this effect? From what I've seen he's still very pro-Russia, as is the most fervent wing of the GOP.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Majorian posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. If there's any lesson to be gleaned from US foreign policy over the past century or so, it's that there's a lot of continuity between presidencies.

It's telling that Presidents often campaign heavily on domestic issues because that's actually where differences between candidates (sometimes) lie. Which is funny because they have actually relatively little direct impact on US domestic policy.

IIRC even Bernie's 2016 foreign policy platform was pretty bog standard democrat because you can't really run for President of the United States and say "nah not going to bomb any more countries or stop supporting bellicose nations"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah I think the specific example you chose is a good one where it must've been informed by either personal ideological commitment or military-industrial politics. And I agree that at the start of the war he had a lot more room to maneuver here. And he had even more room to manuever before the Hamas attack.

At this point I think he has trapped himself into a position where, in dealing with the protests and in dealing with the Israeli state, he is much more able to lose pro-Israel voters than regain pro-Palestine voters. Especially considering that the pro-Israel voters are already being wooed by both Trump and Kennedy while pro-Palestine voters are being wooed by much less weaker operations like Jill Stein, Cornel West, the PSL.

:agreed:

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Has Trump said anything to this effect? From what I've seen he's still very pro-Russia, as is the most fervent wing of the GOP.

His "plan" for peace is basically to pressure Ukraine to cede territory in hopes of achieving peace with Russia. Obviously neither Ukraine nor Russia will go for it, so he will likely be forced to fall back onto plan B, ie: continuing to support Ukraine to make the generals and MIC happy.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Majorian posted:

:agreed:

His "plan" for peace is basically to pressure Ukraine to cede territory in hopes of achieving peace with Russia. Obviously neither Ukraine nor Russia will go for it, so he will likely be forced to fall back onto plan B, ie: continuing to support Ukraine to make the generals and MIC happy.

You're making a pretty big jump that Trump would support arming Ukraine, without any evidence. And you're ignoring that the people in his party most allied with him oppose aid to Ukraine despite what the generals and MIC want.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Trump and his specific part of the republican party are the primary faction opposing aid to Ukraine, the rest of the republican party is much more to the center on that point.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

The people who think he would be better on Israel are wrong as well. The foreign policy of both parties is identical for the most part and Trump was no exception last time around.

At least outside rightwingers, I don't think anyone believes Trump is pro-peace, rather they believe that he's the most incompetent option, which is good if you prefer America's warfare & lawfare machines inoperable.

For contrast, Biden has schmoozed with pretty much every major lackey in the state department, cares very much about foreign policy, and knows how this works. And what he's done with that is ensure the entirety of the government defends killing exponentially more Palestinians than every past president combined barring the Nakba.

Trump is incompetent, does not give a poo poo about ForPol (he notoriously left a CIA meeting to go get ice cream), and changes his mind depending on the last person to talk to him. And as far as American power projection goes he was absolutely terrible; so long as Pakistan retains its military dictatorship Biden's already got him beat on empire expansion. He let a Venezuelan coup wither on the vine because after a meeting he decided Guaido had loser energy.

Zionists would ensure that last person speaking to Trump would always be a Zionist, but you wouldn't see a unity of purpose behind him and his decisions. One of the more pragmatic Zionists would have recognized that this war is bad for Israel and pulled the plug by now.

I've no faith in Electoralism, and my guess would be that Trump would just defer everything to an Israel cutout, but that's what I understand of the "Donald the Dove" narrative.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 6, 2024

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You're making a pretty big jump that Trump would support arming Ukraine, without any evidence.

Trump was the one who originally sent lethal aid to Ukraine, a significant break with Obama's policy of only sending non-lethal aid. Actions speak louder than works.

quote:

And you're ignoring that the people in his party most allied with him oppose aid to Ukraine despite what the generals and MIC want.

I don't think they'd particularly care if it were Trump doing it. I don't buy that they are that ideologically committed to opposing aid to Ukraine.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

edit: nevermind. This is way off topic for this thread anyway.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Neurolimal posted:

At least outside rightwingers, I don't think anyone believes Trump is pro-peace, rather they believe that he's the most incompetent option, which is good if you prefer America's warfare & lawfare machines inoperable.

For contrast, Biden has schmoozed with pretty much every major lackey in the state department, cares very much about foreign policy, and knows how this works. And what he's done with that is ensure the entirety of the government defends killing exponentially more Palestinians than every past president combined barring the Nakba.

Trump is incompetent, does not give a poo poo about ForPol (he notoriously left a CIA meeting to go get ice cream), and changes his mind depending on the last person to talk to him. And as far as American power projection goes he was absolutely terrible; so long as Pakistan retains its military dictatorship Biden's already got him beat on empire expansion. He let a Venezuelan coup wither on the vine because after a meeting he decided Guaido had loser energy.

Zionists would ensure that last person speaking to Trump would always be a Zionist, but you wouldn't see a unity of purpose behind him and his decisions. One of the more pragmatic Zionists would have recognized that this war is bad for Israel and pulled the plug by now.

I've no faith in Electoralism, and my guess would be that Trump would just defer everything to an Israel cutout, but that's what I understand of the "Donald the Dove" narrative.

I think this is largely accurate and the bigger danger of Trumpian fascism is domestic.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

The short time gap between this

https://www.axios.com/2024/05/05/israel-us-ammunition-shipment-hold

and this

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1787354853745815902

is no coincidence. Really bad times ahead. :(

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
What a choice. Maybe die to the bombing and the famine, or go to what are obviously concentration (and maybe extermination) camps that the Israelis have built. gently caress me.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You're making a pretty big jump that Trump would support arming Ukraine, without any evidence. And you're ignoring that the people in his party most allied with him oppose aid to Ukraine despite what the generals and MIC want.
I mean Trump was president before and he fell in line with the wars despite what he said on the campaign trail, I don't see any reason it'd be different this time. His past actions are evidence. Did something happen to make him stop lying? Are you doing the usual thing of demanding I take politicians at their word and believe what they tell me unless I have ironclad evidence to the contrary, but with Trump of all people?! :psyduck:

He says we shouldn't intervene in Ukraine sure but what happened when Mike Johnson made a deal with democrats to do just that: Trump lauds House speaker as a ‘good person’ after Ukraine aid bill passage. Seems like he's willing to include it in deals or at least agrees when someone else does. This is also evidence.

If anything, Trump will probably be more effective at funneling money to Israel and Ukraine than Biden since I don't expect the Republicans' opposition to the Ukraine War to continue if they win power and don't have to pretend to care what voters think anymore. Just like they bitched when Obama intervened in Syria but were fine with Trump doing it.

Idk what to tell you, if you think Trump is the peace candidate vote for him if you want to, you're never going to convince me he's telling the truth because he has a record. If he wins and I turn out to be wrong great, but I'm not going to trust him to do anything he promises. Just acting incredulous that I don't trust Trump's word isn't a good argument, it's Trump.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 6, 2024

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's true that some friendly fire occured, but the idea that it was most or all of the victims is completely ludicrous. For example, Al-Jazeera's investigation (which went against many more lurid claims from Western media) still found:
https://network.aljazeera.net/en/press-releases/%E2%80%9Coctober-7%E2%80%9D

Proving that it was ordered is slightly harder, although I'd suggest the idea that Hamas and affiliated fighters could kill such a huge number of people accidentally or spontaneously is ludicrous on its face. More than that though, if your position is that Hamas unintentionally allowed its fighters or affiliated groups to kill 782 civilians then October 7th should surely be presented not as some heroic act of resistance but a catastrophic fuckup of historic proportions. In that scenario Hamas should have been apologising for it profusely and making assurances it would never happen again rather than celebrating its success and promising to repeat it. Statements like these amounted to full endorsement even if we decide to believe the implausible narrative that the decision to commit the massacre was purely made by the fighters on the ground rather than the leadership.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...9b-ebdfbee90000

About 1/3 of all killed on Oct 7th were soldiers. Not just someone who was once a soldier, but soldiers. This suggests a 1:2 ratio of soldiers to civilians. Which is precisely the ratio Israel describes in its propaganda as "unprecedented" and "the most caring for civilian populations" *in modern history* (and that's including at least several dozen if not a few hundred civilians Israel massacred on its own terms).

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think you can conclude this simply from opinion polling, for several reasons. A big one, that I already talked about, is that most opinion polls don't tell you what percentage of people who say they support X are single-issue voters on X. Anyone who would answer "yes" to "do you support more aid to Israel", but would still vote for Biden anyway because of abortion/gay rights/Democracy/Trump Derangement Syndrome/gun control/semiconductor subsidies/whatever wouldn't actually be a lost vote. This cuts both ways of course, some number of people who don't support aid will also vote for Biden anyway. Probably a lot when you look at how low most Americans rank I/P policy.

But also, public opinion isn't just this unstoppable force of nature that blows politicians helplessly to and fro. Politicians and their media allies actively work to mold and control it (this is what they TikTok ban is about. They are saying, quite openly, that they can't tolerate a media outlet they don't control, which is broadcasting information that conflicts with the government line). Public opinion polling includes the results of these efforts at manufacturing consent. In a world where Democratic politicians weren't committed to supporting Israel, and therefore they and their media allies weren't conducting a 24/7 propaganda campaign to drum up public support for it, polls would probably look different. If anything, the fact that approval is only slightly pro-Israel despite this huge effort to propagandize us is a bad sign for the future as the war drags on.

For example, take the Iraq War. It's true that on the eve of war public support for the invasion was 52-59 percent. So you could argue that the Bush administration was just helplessly blown to war by public opinion, after all the "electoral math" suggested he'd lose more votes my not invading, right? But was that the reality, did millions of Americans wake up one morning in 2003 and decide we suddenly needed a Gulf War sequel 11 years later and invent fantasy uranium refineries and demand Bush forget about Osama and go after Saddam. Well, no. Of course, the Bush administration and their friends in the liberal and conservative media relentlessly propagandized the country for a year to manufacture that sentiment. It only existed because they wanted to do the war in the first place. And of course, it only lasted as long as the propaganda could cover up the disaster that was unfolding. The "pro-war" sentiment wasn't a good omen, it was a bad one, a year of bombarding people with fearmongering and hysterical lies and all they got was a bare majority for "oh yeah I guess he's got the weapons and we've gotta get them"

It is quite likely that if the President shifted his stance on the ongoing genocide, the polling among Democrats (including Jewish ones) would shift toward "stopping it is the right thing to do," because that is how party polarization works in the year 2024.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Israel focused on civilian atrocities to cover up their military defeat - I think Hamas beat Pearl Harbor numbers on the weekend 7th as far as military casualties go. But we don’t know, and the IDF isn’t likely to tell us. This was certainly more embarrassing than Pearl Harbor. The Navy was slack as hell that November and December, and they had wargamed an attack on Pearl - but they understandably for the time expected a declaration of war first. The IDF and the kibbutzim planned for exactly an attack such as October 7, and planted their nuts in the soil, so to speak.

The constant stream of subsequently discredited stories of raped beheaded babies tells me that Israel didn’t think what Hamas actually did was enough to rouse worldwide opinion. The IDF also buried what looked like evidence of indiscriminate high-powered air attacks, and they buried evidence afterwards. The cool thing about obstruction of justice is that you’re supposed to draw the least favorable conclusion, not give the obstructor the benefit of the doubt.

Hamas did commit war crimes. Taking civilian hostages is a war crime. It was also pointless, since Israel reacted exactly the same as if there had been no hostages. Hopefully the perpetrators will be punished - right after every IDF genocidaire is imprisoned or hanged.

Fortunately, this is mere pleasant chatting. If people speaking and writing in English had final say over this, everyone in Gaza would already be dead. How I arrive at a conclusion that Hamas did little wrong and should be supported in this conflict without reservation - well, that won’t change the fact that the IDF can’t fight and Israel is broken beyond repair.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Preparations for the Rafah offensive are in full swing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68961753

I'm sure this will help Israel's image of the only free democracy in the region.

quote:

The Association for Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI) said they had filed a request to the country's Supreme Court to issue an interim order to overturn the ban.

The group said that claims that the broadcaster was a propaganda tool for Hamas were "unfounded", and that Sunday's ban was less about security concerns and more to "serve a more politically motivated agenda, aimed at silencing critical voices and targeting Arab media".

The Foreign Press Association (FPA) urged the Israeli government to reconsider its decision, saying the shut down of Al Jazeera in the country should be "a cause for concern for all supporters of a free press".

The FPA said in a statement that Israel now joins "a dubious club of authoritarian governments to ban the station", and warned that Mr Netanyahu has the authority to target other foreign outlets that he considers to be "acting against the state".

The Committee to Protect Journalists' (CPJ) Program Director Carlos Martinez de la Serna echoed the same concerns, saying: "The Israeli cabinet must allow Al Jazeera and all international media outlets to operate freely in Israel, especially during wartime."

The UN's Human Rights office also called the Israeli government to reverse the ban, posting on X: "A free & independent media is essential to ensuring transparency & accountability. Now, even more so given tight restrictions on reporting from Gaza."

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Majorian posted:

Joe Biden walked a picket line with striking auto workers. I don’t think the unions will forget that. If Biden loses Michigan, he’s getting stomped across the country anyway.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
All this talk of the American election is just absolutely riveting. Meanwhile, in Gaza

quote:

"We are horrified at details emerging from mass graves recently unearthed in the Gaza Strip. Over 390 bodies have been discovered at Nasser and Al Shifa hospitals, including of women and children, with many reportedly showing signs of torture and summary executions, and potential instances of people buried alive”

https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2024/05/onslaught-violence-against-women-and-children-gaza-unacceptable-un-experts

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Hamas agrees to the ceasefire deal.
https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/1787523072678912407

quote:

The office of Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh announced Monday that he called the prime minister of Qatar and the head of Egyptian intelligence and informed them that Hamas agreed to the proposed outline for a cease-fire deal.

A Hamas source said the group received guarantees that Israel won't renew operations in the Gaza Strip after the cease-fire deal.

Israel doesn't seem to care
https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1787526788727374272

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If nothing else, it's a smart move politically if they think Israel really is going into Rafah imminently. It helps to further deligitimise the attack.