Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Hughlander posted:

AITAH for finding a new wife after my wife gave me ultimatum to open our relationship, which was not an actual ultimatum??

He couldn’t leave his current wife until he found a new one? Like lol at the usual open relationship crash and burn but I don’t think this next marriage is going to go the way he expects either.

Edit: Ah gently caress, as penance for my snipe please have some of OPs weirder comments:

”Anon” posted:

Why don't you need to be married so bad? That's a problem and it's not normal or healthy.

”OP” posted:

There is never a timeto stay unmarried. That's how it's supoosed to be.

“Another Anon” posted:

YTA. I know that everyone wants to celebrate when spouses stick it to their soon to be ex after opening the relationship, but you have children that you clearly have not considered at all. You choose to monkey branch and find a whole new wife. Your children will be confused and mourning the dissolution of their family while youre planning a wedding. How do you think this will make them feel? Do you actually expect they'll be open to this new woman? Even if you think you're not an rear end in a top hat to your wife, you're most certainly the rear end in a top hat to your children

“OP” posted:

They don't have a choice.

Also he says he “thinks” his soon-to-be fiancée knew he was still having sex with his wife during this period. Good luck to her.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

quote:

There is never a time to stay unmarried.

The slogan of my Vegas wedding chapel.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Sounds like someone who has no idea how to handle being alone, and therefore should not be married in the first place.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Spear of Longanus

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Hughlander posted:

AITAH for telling my girlfriend she is too much of a "wildcard" to marry? --Update Girlfriend edition.

This is my throwaway account but I just wanted to clarify some things that my now, ex, said about me.

All things considered, let me make this clear, we are over. You wanted to air this out in public, then I will finish it in public you narrow-minded dunce. You singlehandledly talked yourself out of a relationship.

I like it when someone actually just does the breakup instead of weird manipulations or setting up a situation where there's an obvious breakup but keeps referring to the person as BF/GF. If you're done, be done with it.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
(there's no big hilarious twist in this long-ish post, I just found it oddly engaging)

(Also, the "monkey branching" thing does not get referenced again after the beginning)

I [36M] surprised wife [32F] by coming home early only to find another man [21?M] in our home late. Is this 'monkey branching" or just my difficult past influencing me?

quote:

TLDR: Recently learned the term 'monkey branching’ and I can’t tell if what happened last night is my spouse doing some form of this. My past trauma is certainly clouding my judgement, so I need help.

Background: Partner (32F) and I (36M) have been together just over 8 years. Married with one child. Mostly a very love filled relationship, we had our disagreements but they always ended with some form of care and compassion and compromise or resolution. Both independent, educated, swap between working and stay at home parent. Both have full time careers in medical field and each our own side businesses we run from home. I have no reason to distrust her.

Recent past: during pregnancy and after our first child we had some major disagreements and we had an enormous lost of trust and communication between us. She was later diagnosed with PPD/PPA and started medication, and both started marriage counseling recently. We both having feelings of being hurt, disrespected, unheared and unloved by the other. Both are 100% valid, we hurt each other. I have doubts that she loves me in the same deep way she used to but I'm willing to trust her when she tells me. I’ve voiced this to her often recently.

Everything seemed to be moving forward until I came home last night

I should back up: she went on a day long hike yesterday with some friends to go foraging. One of which was a coworker (21?M). Young kid, works on the floor with her as a nurse. It's overnight shifts, so they have a lot of time to hang around the nursing station. I know they talk, I know they talk on messenger, I have no problems with my wife having friends, any flavor. 

He had come over a couple times before hikes and seemed pretty shy and nervous around me but he's a kid, seemed cool. A few weeks ago my wife had to wait for the pharmacy to open up to pick up her pills (she ran out), so in order to wait, they went hiking up a mountain together after work. But when got home she had forgotten her to actually go get her pills, and had to make the 2hr RT drive to get them the next day. Something didn't feel right.

Anyway, back to yesterday and her hike with friends out foraging. He, the kid, came by in the morning, so they could carpool. My lovely wife gave him a couple books (on foraging, etc) as gifts when he arrived, it seemed a little awkward receiving them. They took off, brought our child to the babysitter and went foraging, he left his car at our place.

When I got home from work, I decided I wanted a little time to myself and for the first time in ... 2? years I threw sleeping back and pad in a backpack and went out cowboy camping on top of my favorite local peak. Texted my wife that I wouldn’t be home tonight and I'd see her in the morning. Honestly the hike and peak was awesome, read my book, smoked a joint with some kids having a fire on the other lookout, was really fun and I felt great.

Then my sleeping pad deflated. I didn't bring a loving patch kit. So that sucks rear end but it's only 9pm, I'll just come down, scoot home and go see my wife. We had just missed being intimate the last week, lots of hugging and touching and lead up but timing didn't work, and so instead of texting her I thought I'd surprise her.

She had texted me earlier, around 7pm, that she was back home, and that by 8pm our kid was down sleeping, she was back up with all her mushrooms and ramps and stuff. Sent pictures, looked like an awesome day.

When I pulled in the driveway, around 9:45pm? the kid's car was still parked in the driveway. Bit odd he stayed around for the hour it took while my wife put our kid to bed and couple hours more together after that. I came inside and it really didn't seem like anything was off. He was still awkward and my wife was a bit talkative, but she had a great day and wanted to talk about it and I like to hear about it. They had a microscope out on the table with specimens around. Nothing suspicious at all honestly but I felt something deep in me.

I was sweaty and gross so I excused myself and took a shower. Here, I have to probably relay some trauma, my only other serious adult relationship ended in betrayal when my partner (25F) fell for a much younger man (19M), a coworker who she told me I had nothing to worry about. She told me he had feelings for her but it wasn't mutual. He wasn't her type, he was short, artist type and she preferred men like me, tall, less flighty, more masculine. I trusted her.

In a horrifying series of events, I would learn from a friend that my past partner and the previous kid were seen together and she had spent the night as his place. I was out of town at the time. Between the time I learned of them together and the day before I was able to come home, she had been killed in a car accident. I came home expecting to seek answers for things I had heard, only to find she was gone forever.

It hosed me up for years, probably permanently, which is why I'm coming to reddit strangers for advice.
I don't think I can be a good judge of this current situtation because of my past. I think it hits me too hard from a place I can't understand. With all the similarities, it is just a lot.

So needless to say, coming out of the shower I had a lot of feelings but I kept composed. I absolutely do not want to discourage my wife from having friends or enjoying hobbies with those friends. And I trust her.

When I came out to the kitchen to eat with them and chat, his car was pulling out of the driveway. I guess he had to get his mom's car home by 3am? That's what my wife said, which I found a weird thing to say. He could leave by 2am then... thats not a reason for leaving right now but whatever, I’m going insane inside and maybe can’t understand why that was said.

Wife and I chatted, I think she could tell something was off. She offered a massage but honestly I really didn't feel like being touched. I think I was having a bit of anxiety. She asked whats wrong and I told her I think some my of past is loving with me. She asked if it was because he was over so late, after our kid was asleep. I said yes.

I asked if she had feelings for him, she said "no"
I asked if he had feelings for her, she said "I don't know"

I pressed her on it because, in my opinion, my wife has a (eternally frustrating) habit of trickle-truthing when she knows it's something I don't want to hear.

And then she said, in a long string:

"*he's just a dumb young kid, he doesn't know what he's doing, i don't even think he likes mushrooms, i think he just likes being around me, but i don't find him attractive. at all. like at all. he’s not my type. your my type. (my name). i don't. i love you and only you*”

I should say I did really feel like she was being honest. But she did know the kid had feelings for her. But she's right, he's young and dumb and probably doesn't understand what he's attempting to do. But he is attempting it, and she knew it.

Then I realized that had my sleeping pad not blown and I had come home, it’s possible I could have never known what happened or if he was there or how long or anything. That sent me spiralling inside a bit.

After more discussion, to her defense, she said things like "I was uncomfortable too having him over that late", though I'm not sure what to think. 

Again, I don't want to stop my wife from having friends or ruin her relationships with coworkers. And my past might be playing a nefarious role in my gut shooting up the loving bat signal screaming at me that my relationship is damaged beyond repair, and my wife is entertaining other men, seriously or unseriously as a response to that.

Am I right to be distraught over him being over so late, the only night I’m ever gone, when she kinda-sorta-knew he had feelings for her? 

I'm feeling pretty hosed today but can't tell if its from today or just reliving back then.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

greazeball posted:

I assume it's to protect the principal characters from being outed to third parties. The people in the story will be able to recognise themselves but nosy cousins or work colleagues shouldn't have enough to ID anybody from the post alone.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Why would someone prevent their real identities being searched on the internet? :iiam:

Yes, but just use some made-up names and be done with it! No need to tediously explain how ‘Jessica (28F)’ who we’re all hearing about for the first time technically has a different name on her driver’s licence

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
That story from the last thread, about the joint bachelor/bachelorette party that became a complete shitshow, got a nine-months-later update

UPDATE on my sister's shitshow coed bachelorette party. The aftermath and a new wedding - 9 months later

quote:

Apparently you are not allowed to do multiple updates on r/amitheasshole but there appears to be a lot of overlap in members here so hopefully all the people who wanted more information will find this.

The divorce is final. Thank god the only children involved were the "adults" in their mid twenties who decided that was appropriate behavior. She is dating one of the guys from the Eiffel Tower. The other guy and his girlfriend are friends with the happy couple.

My cousin and my sister made up after a few months of iciness in their relationship. My cousin is performing in a touring production of a Broadway musical. We are all proud of her career if not her choices for classy wedding behavior.

My brother in law has been sober since the wedding. I guess ruining his underwear, a sock, and his favorite pair of jeans was a wake-up call for his incipient alcoholism. My sister is happy that he has made that choice as they are expecting their first child in about two months.

My husband, who has retired from all his rodeo shenanigans is trying to convince me that we should go to Spain so he can try running with the bulls. They are smaller than the ones he used to ride so he feels confident he can do it. So it seems like my sister is not the only person in my life who can't imagine consequences. I'm going to try and talk him into going to see it first before he decides to participate.

And last but not least the MOH that dropped out of my sister's wedding party is getting married. To the boyfriend that got arrested trying to break into the bus/limo. They are having very separate bachelor/bachelorette parties. The girls are going to Branson which was described as "Vegas if it was run by Ned Flanders". The boys are going to go golfing in Myrtle Beach. My husband and I are invited and will attend. I asked my husband not to get involved if anything crazy kicks off.

Thanks for checking in. I will post again in July after the parties if anything of note occurs.

I think that covers everything.

I remember your original post and update. It sounds like they all grew up a little. That's good for them but bad for us. I was hoping for more drama.

OOP: God I hope so.
The original story + updates

quote:

For some reason my (F32) sister (23) and her fiance (25) decided that the very best way to celebrate before getting married was to have a joint bachelor/bachelorette party. At strip clubs.

They also hired a bus limo for the evening.

The aftermath was, thus far, three breakups, four people dropping out of the wedding party, one impending divorce, and one arrest. The cleaning bill for the limo was more than the original rental fee also.

She was crying to our mom at dinner the other day and I snorted. I tried not to I honestly did. I was trying my best to just keep my mouth shut.

She asked me what was so funny. I said that I wasn't sure what she expected to happen getting a group of people drunk, using illicit substances, and getting horned up watching exotic dancers.

She said that I was an rear end in a top hat for judging her and her friends. I said I wasn't judging just that literally anyone could have seen that outcome.

My mom told me to apologize because my sister is having to replace most of her wedding party on the fly.

I did. But I still think I'm right.

quote:

I'll give the tamest example. My cousin is a talented singer. She is single and was supposed to sing a song during the ceremony. However she hooked up with the maid of honor. Whom nobody knew had that in her. Including her boyfriend. This happened in the bus. He got arrested for trying to break into the bus while this was going on and several people were cheering them on after locking him out.

The maid of honor and her boyfriend did not break up.The other bridesmaid who is married was in an Eiffel Tower with two of the groomsmen. One groomsman has dropped out along with the bridesmaid. Her husband has left her because I guess this isn't the first time.The other groomsman in that group has no fucks to give and will be attending.We are lucky that by the time the cops showed up everything illegal had bed taken, eaten, ingested, or swallowed.I stayed mostly sober and stayed with my sister all night so she could party and not do anything too stupid.My husband also attended and I had tasked him with keeping an eye on the groom. He decided the best way to keep the groom out of trouble was to get his pants making GBS threads drunk. Which he accomplished with the only casualty being some underwear, a sock and a pair of Levi's.The bus/limo came out as the worst victim in this whole debacle. It needs a biohazard cleanup and maybe some upholstery replaced. My dad is pissed.After reading the comments I went to see my sister this morning and gave a more sincere apology. She asked me to be the matron of honor and I accepted.If anyone here is free Saturday we still need someone to sing The Rose during the ceremony since my cousin is currently persona non grata.I only know about the breakups from hearsay but suffice it to say that getting a group of friends who have a lot of sexual history together and giving them drugs and alcohol then taking them out to see naked people is a terrific idea IF YOU ARE NOT GETTING MARRIED IN A WEEK.

quote:

As you may recall my sister had a coed bachelor/bachelorette party that went sideways.

If you were hoping for more fuckery you will be sorely disappointed. My father and husband had a talk with several of the miscreants that would be attending the wedding and put the fear of, if not God, then at least them into the children.

We found someone to sing The Rose and my husband stepped in as a groomsman. As I commented I did apologize to my sister for my insensitive snort and comment and I was her matron of honor. We also got a couple of girls to fill in for the missing bridesmaids.

The wedding went off beautifully and when everything was said and done the only real consequences are one divorce that was probably going to happen anyway, one arrest that will be plead to a misdemeanor most likely, and one pair of underwear, one sock and a pair of jeans.

Sorry to disappoint but nothing much of note happened at the wedding or reception.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Spear of Longanus

also acceptable: spear of loginus

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

FMguru posted:

That story from the last thread, about the joint bachelor/bachelorette party that became a complete shitshow, got a nine-months-later update

UPDATE on my sister's shitshow coed bachelorette party. The aftermath and a new wedding - 9 months later

The original story + updates

As far as updates 9 months later after a night of group sex and debauchery go, this could have been a lot worse!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
AITA for telling a 5 year old that I am not her family?

quote:

My father has way too many children. As of this year, he's up to 11 children with 6 different mothers. Two kids with mom 1 (my older sisters), two kids with Mom 2 (myself and my younger sister), 1 kid with Mom 3, 2 kids with Mom 4, 1 kid with Mom 5, and 3 kids with Mom 6. Moms 1 and 2 decided to live together and raise their kids together, so I, my younger sister, and my two older sisters grew up together 100% of the time.

We decided a long time ago that we, meaning the four of us, were the only siblings we were going to have. No claiming any other children he may have as siblings or even acknowledging them if we could help it. I know it sounds bad, but on a practical level, we had to draw a line somewhere. We've made our stance clear. Our moms and our father are fine with it but the other moms aren't. Mom 5 REALLY isn't. Despite never having met her kid, she insists to everyone that will listen that we are her kid's siblings.

Her kid is now in kindergarten. Without us knowing, she put my oldest sister and I on the emergency contact list as her kid's siblings. Last week, the school called us to come get her because she was sick. We wanted to ignore it, but they demanded that we come in and made threats, so we decided to go to the school to make it clear that they needed to take us off the list. We went in to the office and...went off. That that child was not family and not our sibling, that we were not responsible for her in any way and that it was extremely irresponsible fot them to even WANT us to take her because we were strangers off the street who didn't know this kid at all. They had brought her into the office while we were talking, so she heard all of this.

The school let us go and hopefully took us off the list. Mom 5 called us later that night absolutely furious that we "did all that" to a little kid. She was adamant that she views us as family and that we broke her heart "in front of everyone". She wants us to apologize because what we did was "inappropriate".

We don't think so. We didn't know the kid was going to be there, but it had to be said anyway, and she was going to figure out the truth. It's not personal at all. The thing with her school was EXACTLY why we cut off who was going to be a sibling with the four of us. We didn't want unending obligations to an ever-growing list of people. Claiming to be a sibling means something. Mom 5 insists that we owe her daughter this because she is the only one who doesn't have a full sibling, and she "needs this" (Mom 3 is a long story).

Our family is divided. Our moms think that we should have made sure the kid wasn't in the room first but aren't sure if we should apologize or not because it might encourage her. Our father doesn't care that much, mostly because he has his sons now, but thinks we should apologize just to shut her up so none of us have to keep hearing about it. My sister doesn't want to say anything because she thinks Mom 5 AND the kid "need to learn" that "none of this **** is her problem". I'm torn. AITA?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cythereal posted:

AITA for telling a 5 year old that I am not her family?
NTA for the situation and saying this stuff to the school, excluding the fact that it was in front of the kid, and I don't think OP "owes" this kid anything
But still YTA for actually saying it in front of the kid (couldn't OP have asked if the kid could wait outside?)

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 6, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Shouldn't the school have done some kind of verification when OP's name was first submitted as an emergency contact?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

haveblue posted:

Shouldn't the school have done some kind of verification when OP's name was first submitted as an emergency contact?

do you really think this happens? where do you live?

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

Is it normal to contact people listed emergency contacts and ask if they're really okay with that?

Otherwise, OP is presumably and adult and the half sibling of the kid so it's not like it would inherently seem weird for them to be listed from the school's perspective without knowing the detail of the family situation

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Yea, that's a messed up thing to do in front of the kid. Fair to have these boundaries though, just sucks to be so harsh in front of the kid.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

presumably the school would have called the mom first and she failed to mention that the next emergency contact in line doesn't fuckin know they're on there

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
How do I [30F] tell my bf [35M] that he really needs to start exercising his legs?

quote:

My bf and I have been together for 5 years, and he is naturally a very top-heavy guy. He’s the stereotypical gym guy that only works his upper body and always skips leg day. He also has a very long torso and shorter legs, which just adds to the discrepancy. He naturally has very large calves, but his quads are tiny (I’m 5’1” 115lbs and my quads are bigger than his).

The first few years we started dating he admitted that he very rarely worked out his legs. We started going to the gym together and he started working them out more evenly, and his quads slowly got bigger…until he tore his ACL (non-gym related activity).

His recovery was a very slow process. He refused to get out of bed and used a pee bottle for 2 full weeks after surgery, despite his doctor warning him that he needs to be moving his leg at least a little bit within a few days after the surgery. He also skipped several of his physical therapy sessions during the first 3 months post surgery.

By the time he got his cast off, his leg was all but skin and bones. After about 6 months post-surgery I tried to encourage him to go on walks and do other light activities, but it was very hard for him. He would constantly use his surgery as an excuse not to do leg-related activities, and I never pushed him too hard because he wasn’t wrong.

However, it’s now been 2 years since his surgery and his bad leg is still half the size of his good leg. At this point, his calf is actually bigger than his quad. I’ve tried to encourage him to work out over the last year, but he rarely does. He’ll work out consistently for maybe a month, but then go back to skipping leg day again.

I’m honestly at a loss for what to do. I’ve lost much of my physical attraction towards him because of his legs, but he just refuses to work on it. He keeps blaming it on the surgery, saying things like “people recover at different rates” but it’s been 2 *years* for gently caress’s sake. He’s also starting to downplay it, saying things like “it’s not *that* small” (did I mention his calf is bigger than his quad?).

How can I talk to him about this and convince him to start working out his legs again?

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

I'm going to say NTA on the saying it in front of the kid part - it looks to me like the school brought the kid in to manipulate them into taking the kid even though they're not actually family. The school should not be attempting to pawn the kid off on someone who has already made it clear they're not a relative. If someone is trying to make you responsible for custody of a child you don't even know, you have to make it clear immediately that you are not responsible for the child and that you don't know the child so you don't end up somehow being responsible. It sucks for the kid, but it's the mother and the school putting her in the situation, the people trying to resolve the situation without getting stuck with custody of someone else's kid aren't assholes for clearly explaining the situation even if someone else dragged the kid into the room to try to force their hand.

And I certainly don't expect that a school will call multiple emergency contacts and verify that they're willing to be contacts, especially if it's a public school (which I'm guessing it is since that would be a lot of kids for dad to send to private school).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I'm going to say NTA on the saying it in front of the kid part - it looks to me like the school brought the kid in to manipulate them into taking the kid even though they're not actually family. The school should not be attempting to pawn the kid off on someone who has already made it clear they're not a relative. If someone is trying to make you responsible for custody of a child you don't even know, you have to make it clear immediately that you are not responsible for the child and that you don't know the child so you don't end up somehow being responsible. It sucks for the kid, but it's the mother and the school putting her in the situation, the people trying to resolve the situation without getting stuck with custody of someone else's kid aren't assholes for clearly explaining the situation even if someone else dragged the kid into the room to try to force their hand.
I guess it depends on how thoroughly they tried to explain the situation over the phone, and maybe the school was refusing to listen because they really wanted someone to pick up the kid, but the way the post is written, it sounds like the school didn't understand or refused to listen to the situation over the phone and insisted that they come in to pick up the kid, so they went in and the kid was probably there because the school was expecting that they were going to be picking up the kid, so the kid would probably normally be waiting in the office to be picked up.

It's not clear that the school understood the situation and intentionally was trying to make them talk in front of the kid to manipulate them and I guess that's possible but that seems like a lot to read into it.

There's also no indication that they even tried to ask if they could talk without the kid in the room, so even if the school was being manipulative, I still don't think that changes that they were being an rear end in a top hat to the kid, who did nothing wrong.

While it's not really OP's fault given that they were surprised by the situation, I would imagine that if when the school called, they just said "I don't know who that kid is and I never consented to being added as an emergency contact, so if you can't contact their mother please just call CPS" the school would have been less eager about having them pick up the kid.

Edit: Like, the way it's worded is really weird and it doesn't really sound like OP even tried to explain: "Last week, the school called us to come get her because she was sick. We wanted to ignore it, but they demanded that we come in and made threats, so we decided to go to the school to make it clear that they needed to take us off the list."

It's possible it's just poorly written but I would be very curious what OP said and what "threats" the school made because as written it sounds like maybe OP was like "sorry I can't pick up the kid" and it sounds almost as if they were looking for an opportunity to go off on the school about the family situation which isn't the fault of the kid or the school.

If the school threatened to contact CPS or something it literally would have been better if OP just said "yes please do that".

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 6, 2024

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

artsy fartsy posted:

my landlord is a good buddy of mine
A lifetime bitch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Propaniac posted:

(there's no big hilarious twist in this long-ish post, I just found it oddly engaging)

(Also, the "monkey branching" thing does not get referenced again after the beginning)

I [36M] surprised wife [32F] by coming home early only to find another man [21?M] in our home late. Is this 'monkey branching" or just my difficult past influencing me?

Ok what the gently caress is the etymology of that phrase. Can't be good!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

John Wick of Dogs posted:

basically holding onto one "branch" (relationship) while swinging and grabbing onto the next one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Monkeys swinging from branch to branch don't let go of the branch they are holding until they have a new one in hand.

Its... surprisingly normalish?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DemoneeHo posted:

A diamond poop knife is the only thing that can cut through the hardest of poops

She finally gave up details:
I'm pretty sure a centuries-old ruby-encrusted triptych would be worth more than 750eu.

big black turnout posted:

ESH. Wife sucks for open relationship and ultimatum, but "being divorced isn't for me, I needed to find my next wife" guy also sucks majorly
How? She gave him an ultimatum (a tool of abusers) and he made the best of the situation.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

How? She gave him an ultimatum (a tool of abusers) and he made the best of the situation.

He's got weird opinions about being single and also wants to drop his kids directly into a relationship with a new stepmom.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

spookykid posted:

basically holding onto one "branch" (relationship) while swinging and grabbing onto the next one.

So a side piece with extra steps?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

BOOTY-ADE posted:

So a side piece with extra steps?

"the best time to apply for a new job is before you leave the one you're in"

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Make sure to pay close attention to your relationship Gantt chart.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

S40CheckingAccount posted:

How is a stay-at-home kind of guy so good at socializing that he can pick up a bartender at her job and marry her two weeks later?

Thats always the question isnt it? how these walking disasters with no reedeming qualities can find a partner in no time. I think they just know where to look after a lifetime of practice

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Halloween Jack posted:

Leading on your wife and kids for two years while shopping for a new spouse is emotionally manipulative (also).

Speaking of abusers, I hope some of his replies just got lost in translation or something, because yikes.

OP posted:

It's woman job to be my wife. I don't need her to make me feel like a man, I just want her to feel like my wife

Redditor posted:

Info: what does your gf think of the situation? Does she know the full detail?

OP posted:

She knows what she needs to know

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've changed my mind. They should stay married to protect other people from them. The children should be taken away and raised by, I don't know, the Shining Path maybe.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Barudak posted:

Monkeys swinging from branch to branch don't let go of the branch they are holding until they have a new one in hand.

Its... surprisingly normalish?

Wait, what? If they're moving slowly, sure, but I've seen plenty of monkeys catching air between branches.

E: Apparently it's the difference between "continuous contact" brachiation and "ricochetal" brachiation. I have now spent more time thinking about this than anyone who has ever used the metaphor.

Tobermory fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 6, 2024

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Now here's a vile MIL

AITAH for cutting mil out of our lives after she sent a wedding invitation to our baby we lost?

quote:

I lost a baby in the second trimester. It was unbearably heartbreaking. I had to go in and deliver a baby that was gone and on top of the grief i was battling i had to explain and console my young child who wanted a sister so badly and kept asking why she went away. My fil and mil were such assholes that weekend acting like the loss and proceedure wasn't a big deal harassing my husband to come visit and when he didn't, they showed up on our doorstep. It was a big fight and both sides are still upset about that weekend.

I have one of those birthflower bouquet prints on my wall, it has the birth flowers of the kids i now have and forget me nots for the baby we lost. My in laws roll eyes, make faces and make comments at it and any time i acknowledge the baby we lost. My mil had made snarky comments to others any time i include the memory of the baby we lost like that. We've fought with her about it. It's a part of the reason we have been low contact. I just got a wedding invitation from a cousin on her side that we've not seen in years. It was for my husband, myself and our 3 kids. I only have 2 living kids...a family member said that was weird bc they know the cousin called mil to ask how many kids we have since they didn't know and it must have been a mistake... but another family member said she just knows she did that to hurt me, mil says she "loves to play the villain especially with her" knowing her and what she has done in the past to be intentionally hurtful and laugh while claiming she thought that's what we wanted hubs and i would bet money that she's over there smirking and waiting to say she thought we wanted our dead baby acknowledged.

We were waiting to go full NC until after mother's day bc mils mom passed away last month and i thought it would be too hurtful for her to have MD bc without her mom, son and grandkids.. WIBTAH if i just went full on NC now, A week before?
Just go straight-up NC with your MIL and anyone who backs her up.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

mystes posted:

NTA for the situation and saying this stuff to the school, excluding the fact that it was in front of the kid, and I don't think OP "owes" this kid anything
But still YTA for actually saying it in front of the kid (couldn't OP have asked if the kid could wait outside?)

At best, I could see OP going with a "Sorry you had to hear that child 5a, but it's the truth" or whatever. this is a problem mom 5 created, not the kids.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hughlander posted:

I believe this one...

AITAH for telling my girlfriend she is too much of a "wildcard" to marry?

AITAH for telling my girlfriend she is too much of a "wildcard" to marry? --Update Girlfriend edition.

The original OP then deleted their post and just commented on the GF post:

Okay sorry but humble brag time, she is exactly like half my peer group, and also myself. The only major differences is I don't have my own business, and my husband isn't a dumbass loser. I include him in pretty much all my travels and adventures, and he rolls with it with zero hesitation. The only ones he hasn't included in were the international field schools and internships I did for my degree.

OP can go settle with some boring rear end internet tradwife or something, he doesn't deserve anyone that cool.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hughlander posted:

I believe this one...

AITAH for telling my girlfriend she is too much of a "wildcard" to marry?

The original OP then deleted their post and just commented on the GF post:

Here, allow me to summarize this for those who don't want to read it - "My (now) ex-girlfriend is loving awesome and I'm a goddamned idiot"

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
It's amazing to me how people will refuse to go NC with awful people cause "family!"

I haven't talked to my father in something like 10 years and that was the best mental health improving decision I've ever made. Just cause we share genetics don't mean I'm OK with being randomly abused.

Your real family is the one you make. Assemble it piece by piece with people who love and respect you.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

why would the child be heartbroken at a stranger saying "we're strangers"? If the OP has barely met this child that means the child has barely met the OP. Is it really that traumatic for someone to say "I am not your sister" if you barely know them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Propaniac posted:

When I was in my teens my dad gave me "the talk" and tried to tell something about women being monkeys up a tree or something. I just rolled my eyes and thought my dad had drank too much, but now Im seeing it being established lore among divorced redditors. Cringe as gently caress